Chicago Outfit Information, 1971-1972

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Information, 1971-1972

Post by maxiestern11 »

I do not take offense at all.
-
I understand your way of thinking.
-
But read my post up top. It does dovetail with what you brought out about Angelo getting in trouble for smuggled food right?
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Frank Calabrese and Frank Jr. served time with Raymond Patriarca Jr. and Sonny Mercurio from Boston. Frank C and Rubber Lips were apparently close. There is also a great jail story from the Philly Associate Angelo Lutz about doing time with John DiFronzo, Frank Calabrese and Marco D'Amico.

Probably the best story was the old Joe Fosco Sorority Girl Forum where he had Mike Magnafichi on to talk about meeting John Gotti in Florida where the boys from NY sent bottles to the boys in Chicago and vice-versa. It was Mags birthday and a few months after Gotti took out Costellano.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SolarSolano wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am Frank Calabrese and Frank Jr. served time with Raymond Patriarca Jr. and Sonny Mercurio from Boston. Frank C and Rubber Lips were apparently close. There is also a great jail story from the Philly Associate Angelo Lutz about doing time with John DiFronzo, Frank Calabrese and Marco D'Amico.

Probably the best story was the old Joe Fosco Sorority Girl Forum where he had Mike Magnafichi on to talk about meeting John Gotti in Florida where the boys from NY sent bottles to the boys in Chicago and vice-versa. It was Mags birthday and a few months after Gotti took out Costellano.
You also have Frank Sr. getting pissed at LaMantia (who wasn't made) introducing Sr. to some NY guys as made. Sr. got pissed off at him and cold-shouldered him in prison. He related this story to his son on the prison tapes.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Snakes wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:10 am
SolarSolano wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am Frank Calabrese and Frank Jr. served time with Raymond Patriarca Jr. and Sonny Mercurio from Boston. Frank C and Rubber Lips were apparently close. There is also a great jail story from the Philly Associate Angelo Lutz about doing time with John DiFronzo, Frank Calabrese and Marco D'Amico.

You also have Frank Sr. getting pissed at LaMantia (who wasn't made) introducing Sr. to some NY guys as made. Sr. got pissed off at him and cold-shouldered him in prison. He related this story to his son on the prison tapes.
Snakes I believe those guys in that story were actually Boston/Providence guys - Patriarca - it was Sonny Mercurio who LaMantia introduced Frank to. I can tell you that I was friendly with Aldo who they called "Little Shorty" years ago before he passed - had a big Capone tat on his arm :lol: I never believed how Calabrese made LaMantia sound like a loser - those guys were very skilled bookies in their days and Aldo was the enforcer. He was one of Skids main guys but I think LaPietra simply hated him and that was that.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 am
Btw what was deal with Potenza, meaning was he under the Elmwood Park or Melrose Park admins? After his stroke and alleged retirement, he was mostly seen with the North Side faction, including Prio, DiVarco and DiBella
Rocco Potenzo is kind of a mystery. The FBI said he was a capo in the northwest suburbs (primarily Niles and Skokie), but the only well-known underling was Slicker Sam Rosa. In early 1963 Potenzo was spending a lot of time in the Thunderbird Hotel, owned by Giancana's brother Charles Kane. Giancana ordered him to stay away because of the G. The same source said that Potenzo was running games for Giancana and Chuckie English. Another informant said that Potenzo was paying Ross Prio $2,000 a month to run gambling in the Near North Side and $3,000 to Giancana to operate in the Northwest suburbs. Potenzo also had a wire room that he owned with Lenny Patrick. He was indicted over filing false liquor registration forms in 1966 and was convicted in 1967, and given a $1,000 fine. That he was observed regularly meeting North Side leaders Ross Prio, the three Doms, DiVarco and Solano in a Niles restaurant. He was charged for filing a false gun registration in 1969. In 1975 he was working as a part-time bartender in West Side saloon and said to be broke. He died in December 1976.

I don't see him as a capo as the FBI claimed. He did seem to be directly under Giancana, then after Giancana he was left to find for himself. He was friendly with Accardo in the 1950s and was at the plumber's picnic with Accardo, but don't really see much going on after Giancana left. Maybe he switched to the North Side crew and then shelved or retired.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 pm
Btw what was deal with Potenza, meaning was he under the Elmwood Park or Melrose Park admins? After his stroke and alleged retirement, he was mostly seen with the North Side faction, including Prio, DiVarco and DiBella
Rocco Potenzo is kind of a mystery. The FBI said he was a capo in the northwest suburbs (primarily Niles and Skokie), but the only well-known underling was Slicker Sam Rosa. In early 1963 Potenzo was spending a lot of time in the Thunderbird Hotel, owned by Giancana's brother Charles Kane. Giancana ordered him to stay away because of the G. The same source said that Potenzo was running games for Giancana and Chuckie English. Another informant said that Potenzo was paying Ross Prio $2,000 a month to run gambling in the Near North Side and $3,000 to Giancana to operate in the Northwest suburbs. Potenzo also had a wire room that he owned with Lenny Patrick. He was indicted over filing false liquor registration forms in 1966 and was convicted in 1967, and given a $1,000 fine. That he was observed regularly meeting North Side leaders Ross Prio, the three Doms, DiVarco and Solano in a Niles restaurant. He was charged for filing a false gun registration in 1969. In 1975 he was working as a part-time bartender in West Side saloon and said to be broke. He died in December 1976.

I don't see him as a capo as the FBI claimed. He did seem to be directly under Giancana, then after Giancana he was left to find for himself. He was friendly with Accardo in the 1950s and was at the plumber's picnic with Accardo, but don't really see much going on after Giancana left. Maybe he switched to the North Side crew and then shelved or retired.
I agree.

Who knows, maybe he was the type of capo or high level member as Roselli and others were...just saying.

During Giancana's reign, the few fellas which I have under Potenza were Tommy and Barney Potenza, Rocco Valo, Pete Mazzeta, Adolph Blanchette and Joe Iacullo or Yacullo.

Previously I always doubted regarding Rosa being under Potenza since in the past I always thought he was with the Elmwood Park crew, so thanks for the info. If Rosa was under Potenza, then he was probably his rep in Highwood Ill; during one period.

Some time ago I read one info that Sam Mercurio also answered to Potenza, although most of the information say that he was with Elmwood Park. Once I also saw some info that Simonelli also had close connections to Potenza but I highly doubt that he answered to him.

It seems that Potenza had the same faith as Patrick, meaning at the same time he kicked up both to the top admin and also the boss in whose territory he was infiltrated in. I also agree that by the late 60s he switched crews and belonged to Prio. After Giancana's and Battaglias reign, he simply fell under him. Story goes that Rocky Montagna was sent to buy (probably for someone else) his interests in Niles and Wheeling I think.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Therese04
Prospect

Post by Therese04 »

SolarSolano wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:34 am Agreed great reads and info. Anyone on this forum from the Bloomingdale/Addison area? I always wonder if these Sicilian clubs on these strips are still mobbed up - I know Capri's was owned by the Outfit before it closed right?
Im from the Addison area and Ive heard stories about the Italian clubs. Some of my uncles used to hang out there in the 70s and 80s but the family tries to keep it hush hush
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Villain wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:52 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 pm

I agree.

Who knows, maybe he was the type of capo or high level member as Roselli and others were...just saying.

During Giancana's reign, the few fellas which I have under Potenza were Tommy and Barney Potenza, Rocco Valo, Pete Mazzeta, Adolph Blanchette and Joe Iacullo or Yacullo.

Previously I always doubted regarding Rosa being under Potenza since in the past I always thought he was with the Elmwood Park crew, so thanks for the info. If Rosa was under Potenza, then he was probably his rep in Highwood Ill; during one period.

Some time ago I read one info that Sam Mercurio also answered to Potenza, although most of the information say that he was with Elmwood Park. Once I also saw some info that Simonelli also had close connections to Potenza but I highly doubt that he answered to him.

It seems that Potenza had the same faith as Patrick, meaning at the same time he kicked up both to the top admin and also the boss in whose territory he was infiltrated in. I also agree that by the late 60s he switched crews and belonged to Prio. After Giancana's and Battaglias reign, he simply fell under him. Story goes that Rocky Montagna was sent to buy (probably for someone else) his interests in Niles and Wheeling I think.
Villain - Where did you find out about Potenza later in life? That is super interesting - wonder if he was 'shelved' essentially from the Outfit, which was rare but did happen in Chicago.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Potenza that had a stroke or around 1971 or 1972 and basically had to retire. He was described as being a "semi-invalid." I'm not sure if his health improved but Antilliar made it seem like he had some stuff going on before he died. Still, if his health was seriously affected it would be difficult to give him major responsibility.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:17 pm Villain - Where did you find out about Potenza later in life? That is super interesting - wonder if he was 'shelved' essentially from the Outfit, which was rare but did happen in Chicago.
As Snakes already pointed out, later Potenza suffered a serious stroke but previous of that, he also lost most of his West Side friends who were on high places and supported him, such as Giancana, Battaglia and Daddono aka the most hated group during those days. I also dont believe that anyone from Potenzas crew were young enough and influential to take over the group.

So during the end of the 60s, Potenza was often seen sharing the same table with Prio, Brancato, DiBella, DiVarco, Arnold and the rest of the Northsiders in a restaurant located in Niles i think, which in fact was owned by the Prio group.

As for Rocky Montagna who was sent to buy Potenzas former interests, Im not sure regarding his status in the Outfit but i think he was often used as a front in situations like these and was also used as bondsman. Montagna used to be close friend of Daddono but by now he was in jail so it is possible that some of Potenzas interests were bought by the Nicoletti crew, and some probably by the Prio crew
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10