Chicago Outfit Information, 1971-1972

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Information, 1971-1972

Post by maxiestern11 »

What amazes me is how a Roti and a few other made guys were actually politicians at the same time. Chicago was very good at blending the two. To have a several actual family members serving in local government was genius. And difficult to pull off. Shows how pervasive their control of Chicago was at one time!
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

The Outfit had multiple made guys who were politicians and high-ranking cops - they literally had a death grip. Even through the administration of Daley Jr. you had guys with Outfit connections who were exceptionally close and had positions (Dominic Longo, etc.)
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Roti and Marcy completely breached the barrier, and possibly Adduci before them but I don't think he was made though or maybe I'm wrong I dunno
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:04 am I also read about two other versions regarding Nicolettis demise, one being the unsanctioned hit on some member in Milwaukee I think, and the other was narcotics. There was also some beef between Alex and Nicoletti

In addition, Caruso worked for Alex, while back in the days both Sam Hunt and Murray Humphreys kicked up to Roti Sr. Later Ferraro and Humphreys took the crew from Roti, and after their deaths, Alex inherited it.

The Buccieri crew had interests in Chinatown since the 1940s. After Caruso, they completely took over his territory and crew, which was probably a deal between Alex and the Buccieris. By the late 60s Caruso's crew wasn't small at all since it included Cordovano, Maenza, Morris and Pete Caruso, Lamantia, Scalfaro, Garafolo, Tony Barbara, Piggy Joyce, Rancatore, Marassa, Ranza Mack, Sparacino etc.

Catuara was in Chinatown since day one, he later simply switched crews, from Belcastros to the Chicago Heights Mob until his demise. When he switched to Emery, he also received interests in Calumet City. Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I also don't think that John Roberto died in 57, but instead it was Emery aka Ammirato or whatever, and was officially succeeded by LaPorte. The Emery/Roberto/LaPorte situation again confirms the major or territorial bosses theory.
In Catuara's FBI file it says that he used to be an enforcer for Buccieri, then was on the South Side under Frank LaPorte. After LaPorte died he was either under Pilotto or Pilotto was under him. Next, an informant has him with Frank Caruso, and not long after that he was ordered to retire. In 1978 Angelo LaPietra took over his chop shops. Catuara refused to retire and was killed. This is info from different informants.

In Frank Caruso's file it does say that Catuara and Caruso were under Alex in the juice racket, but that could just mean that they partnered with Alex in making loans. Caruso was in charge of the territory after Bruno Roti. Edit: In Caruso's file another informant said that immediately after Roti's death leadership went to Catuara, but he didn't want it so Caruso became the leader. Around 1964 it was reported that Catuara was Caruso's top assistant, and they controlled Chinatown under direction from Ferraro and Alex. Elsewhere it says that Catuara was Caruso's partner.
Last edited by Antiliar on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Villain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 am Roti and Marcy completely breached the barrier, and possibly Adduci before them but I don't think he was made though or maybe I'm wrong I dunno
Yes, Pat Marcy correct? I had forgotten his name. He was an alderman or something?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:50 pm
Villain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 am Roti and Marcy completely breached the barrier, and possibly Adduci before them but I don't think he was made though or maybe I'm wrong I dunno
Yes, Pat Marcy correct? I had forgotten his name. He was an alderman or something?
Roti was the alderman. Marcy was the 1st Ward Democratic secretary. John D'Arco was another made guy that served as the 1st Ward's Democratic committeeman.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Lol, yes Chicago was very very strong and savvy like that. That’s when they really had juice! They had that town really locked down well!
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:46 pm
Villain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:04 am I also read about two other versions regarding Nicolettis demise, one being the unsanctioned hit on some member in Milwaukee I think, and the other was narcotics. There was also some beef between Alex and Nicoletti

In addition, Caruso worked for Alex, while back in the days both Sam Hunt and Murray Humphreys kicked up to Roti Sr. Later Ferraro and Humphreys took the crew from Roti, and after their deaths, Alex inherited it.

The Buccieri crew had interests in Chinatown since the 1940s. After Caruso, they completely took over his territory and crew, which was probably a deal between Alex and the Buccieris. By the late 60s Caruso's crew wasn't small at all since it included Cordovano, Maenza, Morris and Pete Caruso, Lamantia, Scalfaro, Garafolo, Tony Barbara, Piggy Joyce, Rancatore, Marassa, Ranza Mack, Sparacino etc.

Catuara was in Chinatown since day one, he later simply switched crews, from Belcastros to the Chicago Heights Mob until his demise. When he switched to Emery, he also received interests in Calumet City. Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I also don't think that John Roberto died in 57, but instead it was Emery aka Ammirato or whatever, and was officially succeeded by LaPorte. The Emery/Roberto/LaPorte situation again confirms the major or territorial bosses theory.
In Catuara's FBI file it says that he used to be an enforcer for Buccieri, then was on the South Side under Frank LaPorte. After LaPorte died he was either under Pilotto or Pilotto was under him. Next, an informant has him with Frank Caruso, and not long after that he was ordered to retire. In 1978 Angelo LaPietra took over his chop shops. Catuara refused to retire and was killed. This is info from different informants.

In Frank Caruso's file it does say that Catuara and Caruso were under Alex in the juice racket, but that could just mean that they partnered with Alex in making loans. Caruso was in charge of the territory after Bruno Roti.
It can also mean that Catuara, Buccieri and Caruso were simply partners in Chinatown, since they shared the area with Caruso being the main rep while the others held lesser number of interests. You've seen those Catuara photos, probably from the late 40s, one with John Roberto and another one with young Dom Palermo and also John Nicastro, so that's it. The so-called chop shop wars were an internal conflicts within the Chicago Heights Mob.

It was similar situation previously when D'Andrea/Roti was the main rep in Chinatown, while Mangano/Belcastro/Buccieri (whuch is probably why the files say that Catuara started under "Buccieri) only had interests in that same area. Yes Caruso inherited Rotis position but according to the files, at the time he wasn't considered much capable to run the area and so during Giancana's reign, he received "help" from both Ferraro and Alex.

Speaking about Alex and Catuara, their relationship was formed with the help of Caruso. During one period, Catuara and Gushi only collected for Alex since they had mutual interests in the same scheme. As for Gushi, he knew Catuara from back in the days when he was a West side hoodlum, which possibly explains Catuaras old connection to Belcastro (Taylor St, Chinatown and 20th ward)
Last edited by Villain on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:19 pm
John D'Arco was another made guy that served as the 1st Ward's Democratic committeeman.
The way he was kicked out, I always doubted that he was made
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

It was pretty common for different crews to operate in the same territory. Buccieri had a wire room in Cicero, although Cicero was mostly Aiuppa's domain. Alderisio and Sam Louis, both in the Battaglia crew, had interests in the Near North Side which was Ross Prio's territory.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 pm Buccieri had a wire room in Cicero, although Cicero was mostly Aiuppa's domain.
Northern Cicero belonged to Giancana/Buccieri/ Eulo and others, while the southern part belonged to Aiuppa/Corngold/Ansani. There's a whole chapter from the feds regarding this situation
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:52 pm
John D'Arco was another made guy that served as the 1st Ward's Democratic committeeman.
He was identified as "made" by the FBI:
darco.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 pm
Villain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:52 pm
He was identified as "made" by the FBI:

darco.jpg
Thanks
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Antiliar wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 pm Buccieri had a wire room in Cicero, although Cicero was mostly Aiuppa's domain.
Northern Cicero belonged to Giancana/Buccieri/ Eulo and others, while the southern part belonged to Aiuppa/Corngold/Ansani. There's a whole chapter from the feds regarding this situation
There are reports that say Aiuppa controlled Cicero south of 22nd Street and Buccieri controlled north of 22nd Street up to Cerone's territory. But we have to remember these same reports don't always have good information. One says Catuara was the capo of Chicago Heights after LaPorte died, and that he also operated under Alderisio. My point is that when dealing with information some of it is contradictory and has to be taken with a grain of salt. Chinatown is a great example of where the info was often confused. One informant says that Phil D'Andrea was the capo before he went to prison, but another since that Bruno Roti was from 1930 to his death in 1956. Catuara was according to a source with Chinatown, others say he was with Chicago Heights. That's why I qualify statements with "may have been" or "was possibly," etc. There's just too much uncertainty.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Spot on - a lot of confusing information and some obviously assumed to be patent 'misinformation' shared with an agenda to confuse the FBI.

I do believe Alderisio took over a lot of territory when LaPorte moved to California - he seemed to have essentially left his crew in limbo to get away. I want to say I've read something where Alderisio threatened a young Joe Ferriola who was Feef's protege and top lieutenant - something like "I'll rip you limb from limb" which was probably fairly scary coming from Alderisio (even though Joe Negall was a tough guy). I want to say that argument was about Buccieri's crew moving into Chicago Heights when Alderisio wanted it.

There is also a great transcript of a con that Alderisio led with Jimmy Cataura and Bill Daubner - Alderisio was clearly the boss in that room over Jimmy and Billy both.