How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

scagghiuni
Full Patched

Re: How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Post by scagghiuni »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:07 pm They didn't start out as the Cosa Nostra family when they formed. the first Bosses like Colosimo, Torrio and Capone during the beginning of his reign where not made members of LCN. I believe it wasn't until 1931 that they were accepted as a CN family but despite they kept a lot of their original customs and practices though that of course faded with time.

Pogo
what about joe aiello, the genna brothers and other sicilians? probably there were mafia members before 1931
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:07 pm
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:29 pm I figured you were being sarcastic Pogo but I've heard this said about Chicago before many times. I'm not disputing it, just asking for clarification. And, I tend to agree with it. Chicago certainly didn't function like a "family". Then again, the Luciano family didn't function like the "conservative" Sicilian faction of NY, either. In fact, the Luciano/Genovese seemed to adopt Chicago's policy of insulating the boss.

They didn't start out as the Cosa Nostra family when they formed. the first Bosses like Colosimo, Torrio and Capone during the beginning of his reign where not made members of LCN. I believe it wasn't until 1931 that they were accepted as a CN family but despite they kept a lot of their original customs and practices though that of course faded with time.

Pogo
Agreed..... if anything Aiello was the “true” Sicilian LCN Family at the time. Aiello actually fought Capone and company for supremacy in chicago.
-
If anything, Capone had tied to Camorra members from Brooklyn, Frankie Yale - a Calabrian I believe and the South Brooklyn “Napolitano” faction by the Brooklyn Navy yards..... Little Augie Carfano, Tony Paretti and those fellows. But Capone became so powerful that at some point he had to be recognized (or eliminated) and the were not eliminating Capone’s crew so he was absorbed into what became the LCN.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

scagghiuni wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am what about joe aiello, the genna brothers and other sicilians? probably there were mafia members before 1931

They were a LCN family but they were a separate group from the Torrio-Capone group. After their top guys were killed a lot of their members were absorbed into he Outfit in 1931.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:35 am
scagghiuni wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am what about joe aiello, the genna brothers and other sicilians? probably there were mafia members before 1931

They were a LCN family but they were a separate group from the Torrio-Capone group. After their top guys were killed a lot of their members were absorbed into he Outfit in 1931.

Pogo
Cabrini was the original Genna family territory I believe....
BarrettM
Associate

Post by BarrettM »

Was Joe Aiello's family separate from the Genna Family? When did the non-Capone Chicago families start?

Finally, was Chicago Heights its own family?

I think 26 is the correct number but if you want to be correct, you have to include the defuncts as well. Newark. Birmingham. San Diego. I too have read that San Diego fell apart after Prohibition but did once exist. San Diego would eventually become a crew under LA.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

The Genna and Aeillo groups were one and the same. Don't know exactly wh they started but they predate the Outfit. Chicago Heights also had its own family and were aAlso absorbed by the Outfit.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

i read capone was sent to chicago by masseria to fight aiello who was allied with maranzano
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Capone was in Chicago before Masseria became Boss and before Maranzano was even in the US.

Pogo
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

However he wasn't go to Chicago on Torrio's demand ?
BarrettM
Associate

Post by BarrettM »

So Chicago had 3 families. Genna, the Outfit (which became a family) and Chicago Heights. The Outfit ate everything around it.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Post by Lupara »

BarrettM wrote:So Chicago had 3 families. Genna, the Outfit (which became a family) and Chicago Heights. The Outfit ate everything around it.
And the Irish. Capone must've had some incredible charisma.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:37 pm In "Wiseguy" Henry Hill mentions a Connecticut "boss" that was celled up with Paulie and Johnny Dio in prison.
in charge of CT "rackets" for a particular family. i.e. tommy gambino over CT for the Gambinos for a period of time. not boss of a CT family.
Guy Fatato said on a tape-recording that Franzese's vig on a $30,000 debt was "like social security" for him. - GohnJotti
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

cool little map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy Fatato said on a tape-recording that Franzese's vig on a $30,000 debt was "like social security" for him. - GohnJotti
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

scagghiuni wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:07 pm They didn't start out as the Cosa Nostra family when they formed. the first Bosses like Colosimo, Torrio and Capone during the beginning of his reign where not made members of LCN. I believe it wasn't until 1931 that they were accepted as a CN family but despite they kept a lot of their original customs and practices though that of course faded with time.

Pogo
what about joe aiello, the genna brothers and other sicilians? probably there were mafia members before 1931
Read the making of the Outfit in the charts section
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

BarrettM wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am So Chicago had 3 families. Genna, the Outfit (which became a family) and Chicago Heights. The Outfit ate everything around it.
Read the makings of the Outfit in the charts section