Greek Mob in Philly and New York

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Rat
Straightened out

Greek Mob in Philly and New York

Post by Rat »

Didn’t know where to post this but I’m looking for some information on the Greek mob in the Northeast. There isn’t much on them however it seems like they held a close relationship with the Lucchese and Philly families in the 80s and 90s.

What’s their current status? Do you guys have any interesting information on these groups?
bert
Full Patched

Re: Greek Mob in Philly and New York

Post by bert »

They don't have a structured mob that I have heard of, I do know that the closest they had was Spiro Valentis who ran a lot of gambling in New York. After he went away I think that ended them having any strong structure. Gerry Capeci did an interview with him (and screwed him over in it) Spiro is doing life I think. He may have even died. There are a lot of Greek clubs where gambling goes on, but I don't know if they are tied together.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

bert wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:23 pm They don't have a structured mob that I have heard of, I do know that the closest they had was Spiro Valentis who ran a lot of gambling in New York. After he went away I think that ended them having any strong structure. Gerry Capeci did an interview with him (and screwed him over in it) Spiro is doing life I think. He may have even died. There are a lot of Greek clubs where gambling goes on, but I don't know if they are tied together.
How did capeci screw him ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Stroccos wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:25 pm
bert wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:23 pm They don't have a structured mob that I have heard of, I do know that the closest they had was Spiro Valentis who ran a lot of gambling in New York. After he went away I think that ended them having any strong structure. Gerry Capeci did an interview with him (and screwed him over in it) Spiro is doing life I think. He may have even died. There are a lot of Greek clubs where gambling goes on, but I don't know if they are tied together.
How did capeci screw him ?
He contacted Capeci hoping to state his case and give his side, Capeci did the interview, but wrote it up in a way that made Valentis seem bad. It was a gangland story, so it should be available in his archives. If one of the people who post gangland on here can post it, you can see it and judge for yourself. My take on it was he screwed the guy.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Anyone know if Spiro Valentis is still alive and doing time?
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Every single Diner in NY and Jersey Is Greek owned, I’m not even exaggerating!
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Rat wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:56 am Didn’t know where to post this but I’m looking for some information on the Greek mob in the Northeast. There isn’t much on them however it seems like they held a close relationship with the Lucchese and Philly families in the 80s and 90s.

What’s their current status? Do you guys have any interesting information on these groups?
The Greeks based in Queens paid the Luccheses for years in order to operate gambling in their communities. It was mainly Greek gambling clubs in Queens that were the target of the Rudaj organization.
All roads lead to New York.
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

bert wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:35 pm Anyone know if Spiro Valentis is still alive and doing time?

Currently is 84 and still in prison
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

It looks like White Bulger was killed by a Greek mob associate Fotios "Freddy" Geas.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Rat wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:20 pm It looks like White Bulger was killed by a Greek mob associate Fotios "Freddy" Geas.
Geas (and his brother) were associates of the Genovese family's Springfield crew.
All roads lead to New York.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Rat wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:20 pm It looks like White Bulger was killed by a Greek mob associate Fotios "Freddy" Geas.
I didn't know he was Greek, I only saw him listed as Fred. The Fotios name is a giveaway if there ever was one. Did he ever hook up with other Greeks, or was he too Americanized? I think any Greeks for the other side tend to only stick with others like them. Geas is definitely a bad dude. They keep calling him "A Mafia Hitman" in news stories, which is one of those weird terms reporters come up with.
CTamg65
Straightened out

Post by CTamg65 »

Same thing in CT alot of Greek diners 9 outta 10 are greek or close to it i know quite a few greeks and most own businesses or work for another greek that does i know of a few greek clubs around one that a friend and his family belong too and theres definetely gambling although im not sure to what extent
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

There were always rumors of a Greek Mob in Tarpon Springs, a heavily Greek town to the west of Tampa, famous for its sponge docks. Mainly it was drug runners bringing in stuff on the sponge and fishing boats.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

It would be safe to assume most of the Greek Gambling parlors in NY and NJ are kicking up to LCN .

On a side note wiseguys in Jersey and NY are always eating and having meetings at Greek owned diners during the morning and during the day, FYI.

Is the Penrose Diner in South Philly Greek owned? I would assume it is and the South Philly guys are always in there during the daytime too....
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

That footage of Borgesi and Sharkey that Mob Sitdown uses of them leaving a diner during the day is The Penrose Diner by the way.

Penrose Diner is a tremendous spot for a great breakfast or late night after the bars close when you’re all banged up! Been there a few times with my South Philly friends over the years....