Maxie's Colombo Profiles

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: Maxie's Colombo Profiles

Post by maxiestern11 »

Ok ..... close enough. I knew it wasn’t later than that. Some said 1997. ...... thanks Gohn
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

GEORGE PAPAGEORGE - born 1922. A Queens resident all his life. As a youth he lived variously in Kew Gardens (82-66 Austin St.), Corona (34-21 102nd St.) and Ozone Pk (89-20 161st Street). By the 1960’s he had moved to Queens Village (82-26 229th St.), until the early 2000’s when he relocated to Huntington in Suffolk County (236 West Neck Road). He also had a winter retreat in Cape Coral, Florida (1212 SE 6th Terrace).

Long identified by local and federal authorities as a Colombo Family “associate”. A close friend and aide since at least the 1950’s to Underboss John (Sonny) Franzese.

As a eighteen year old youth in 1941, “Papa-George” as he was known, was arrested with three other youths for robbing an automobile. They “joy rided” it all the way down to St. Petersburg, Florida, paying their way by selling parts of the vehicle. He was given a suspended sentence.

In 1955, he was one of four hoods who hijacked a truck full of prime beef, with a total value of $21,000.
His co-defendants were Louis (Lou Curry) Arcuri - a Colombo associate, Charlie Rehn, and Alfonso Palma.
They were accused of accosting the driver of the truck on a Manhattan Street at gunpoint. Two of the hijackers drove the truck away, while two others held the driver captive for several hours, eventually releasing him in Whitestone, Queens.
All were convicted. Papageorge served a (1-2 year jail term).

In 1964, he was described in a Newsday series on Mafia infiltration of nightclubs and restaurants in Nassau County as a top John (Sonny) Franzese “lieutenant”, and key operative in “pushing into” various establishments along Old Country Road (known as “the strip”) in Westbury and Carle Place.
-
Previously in 1962, the SLA (State Liquor Authority) had revoked the liquor licenses of three Franklin Square restaurants-bars because it could trace investments in them to Papageorge, who was considered a close and trusted Franzese henchman.

It was then that “Papa-George” turned his attention to the popular “Clam Box” Restaurant and Lounge on the Old Country Road strip. This nightspot was later said to have become a mob hangout, and another Franzese crony Robert “Bobby Green” Falvo (who later would buy into the Tivoli Accent Room and University Club in nearby Jericho), was said to have become a “hidden owner”.

Criminal record: grand larceny (auto), attempted robbery (truck hijacking).

Legitimate activity: Papageorge was a bartender by trade. By the mid-1970’s, he had gravitated to the labor movement, becoming an “official” and eventually the “secretary-treasurer” of a New Jersey Local of the Hotel, Restaurant & Bartender’s Union (AFL-CIO).

Note: [Nassau County D.A. William Cahn investigated a 1963 attempt by Papageorge, Falvo and other hoodlums to “take over” a Nassau based Bartenders Union formerly operated by ousted President Charles (Chuck) Browne, a top labor leader of that era..... they were unsuccessful]

Papageorge counted a number of mob figures among his close associates including:

Franzese - a close friend and his
reputed capo

Joseph (Jojo) Vitacco - who was tied into the same hijacking gang as Papageorge

Arcuri - his hijack buddy and longtime associate

Falvo - a lifelong friend and close associate

John O’Connell - an Irish hoodlum from Elmhurst, Queens

Andrew Carr - a Bartenders union official and Colombo associate

“Georgie Papageorge” lived to the ripe old age of 93, dying at home in Huntington, Long Island in 2015.
———————————————————————————————————-
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:28 am JOHN (JOHNNY IRISH) MATERA - born 1932 and raised in NYC’s “Little Italy”. He later relocated to the Brooklyn and Queens areas. FBI #392437A, NYPD #B-283313. Close longtime associate of the Colombo Family’s Franzese regime. Matera served for years as Sonny Franzese’s driver and bodyguard. Known as a “piece of work” (real tough guy), by the mid-late 1970’s Matera got “straighted out” (inducted) into the Colombo Family. He would later go on to become a Caporegime, head of a South Florida crew, where he had relocated (1943 NE 175 St., North Miami). During the early and mid 1960’s he was arrested several times for operating robbery crews that targeted high-end heists. He was also charged in the gangland homicide of a notorious informant, Ernest (The Hawk) Rupolo, who was found floating in Jamaica Bay, bound with his body chained from his chest down along his legs to cement blocks attached to his feet so as to make him sink. Despite gun shots to the head and stab wounds to his lungs and stomach Rupolo surfaced. Sonny Franzese was said to have given the order that Matera and others members executed. By 1965, Franzese, Matera, Joseph (Whitey) Florio, William (Red) Crabbe, Thomas Mattio and several others found themselves fighting multiple cases/trials on extortion, a rare stamp heist, several bank robberies and the Rupolo murder. Additionally, Matera and his close associate Gennaro (Big Jerry) Gaultieri, were arrested for being among five armed robbers (Alphonse “Funzi” Terricone was alleged to be a third), who raided the Fontainbeau Hotel in Miami, Florida, early one morning, holding management at bay while gang members cracked open and rifled hundreds of safe deposit boxes of the luxury hotel. Said to have escaped with over $2,000,000. in cash and jewelry. They were later picked up and charged as suspects. Matera was convicted on several cases and given life imprisonment. But Florida law allowed for a parole after ten years, so by the mid 1970’s Johnny Irish was on the streets again. A very ambitious mafioso, Matera quickly developed and expanded his crew and operations.His activities were reported to include bookmaking, loansharking, floating dice and card games, after hours clubs, strong-arm, extortion, and narcotics (cocaine, marijuana and heroin). Being based in Florida was a perfect springboard to haul drugs into South Florida from the Bahamas, then onto New York City for distribution. Johnny was riding high and making a ton of money, then something bad happened. What that exact something was, is not known. But upon taking a flight to New York to meet mob superiors in the Colombo Family, Johnny Irish disappeared! It was never established if he got whacked out in NYC or Florida, but John Matera was never seen again. The year was 1981, Matera was 59 years old....
—-
(side note: LCNBios reported that Matera was also a participant in the 1976 murder of John “Mooney” Cutrone in Brooklyn).
CORRECTION: Matera was 48 years old (not 59) when he disappeared.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:55 am
Vincenzo (Jimmy) Giordano aka “Peg Leg” - was born in 1903 and was an original “Profaci” Family inducted member.
Never seen him listed as a made man. He was mentioned and described as a soldier in 1960s news paper articles but those are often inaccurate. No informant has identifed Giordano as made to my knowledge. Where did you find the information on him being made?
——-
HK, on MF as I had mentioned earlier, there is informant NY T-52, on page 69 on 4/9/1962 who identified both Mussachio and Giordano as members, “Button men” with Profaci. Interesting reading if you get a chance. Giordano is also mentioned at length in the article by several other sources as well....... and HK, I want you to know that I’m doing this to humor you and your skepticism. Also: check when Bacino and Giordano get indicted in Suffolk for shylocking.... it was in Newsday..... read my Bacino profile, it will emotion the date I think ok my friend. Read the quote of the Suffolk authorities about Giordano. Better yet, pull up the article in Newsday itself ok 👍
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

maxiestern11 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:21 pm
Vincenzo (Jimmy) Giordano aka “Peg Leg” - was born in 1903 and was an original “Profaci” Family inducted member.
Never seen him listed as a made man. He was mentioned and described as a soldier in 1960s news paper articles but those are often inaccurate. No informant has identifed Giordano as made to my knowledge. Where did you find the information on him being made?
——-
HK, on MF as I had mentioned earlier, there is informant NY T-52, on page 69 on 4/9/1962 who identified both Mussachio and Giordano as members, “Button men” with Profaci. Interesting reading if you get a chance. Giordano is also mentioned at length in the article by several other sources as well....... and HK, I want you to know that I’m doing this to humor you and your skepticism. Also: check when Bacino and Giordano get indicted in Suffolk for shylocking.... it was in Newsday..... read my Bacino profile, it will emotion the date I think ok my friend. Read the quote of the Suffolk authorities about Giordano. Better yet, pull up the article in Newsday itself ok 👍
Newsday is a tabloid that will calls at least one person a member of the mob in any almost bust that has taken place over the years. Maryfarrell is more reliable, but not infallible.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

No source is infallible, not even the FBI! But Newsday was “quoting” a top level rackets investigator! Plus, MF, plus “other FOIA info”....... if Giordano was NOT a member, I’d eat my hat! Lol..... (+ personal knowledge ok?)

As I said before, if what it takes is for me to have been there when he got his finger pinched, then this forum is in serious trouble! Lol

I’m 99.99% sure ok! ....... 😎 (read between the lines if you understand that meaning)
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

maxiestern11 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:47 pm No source is infallible, not even the FBI! But Newsday was “quoting” a top level rackets investigator! Plus, MF, plus “other FOIA info”....... if Giordano was NOT a member, I’d eat my hat! Lol..... (+ personal knowledge ok?)

As I said before, if what it takes is for me to have been there when he got his finger pinched, then this forum is in serious trouble! Lol

I’m 99.99% sure ok! ....... 😎 (read between the lines if you understand that meaning)
I understand the finger pinch reference, and don't eat your hat (If you do, put ketch up on it first). I just hate Newsday and other newspapers over the years using the mafia angle to play up stories. A "top level rackets investigator" is what---a private eye? It can mean anything, and even high ranking detectives will tell what they see as a harmless lie to help an arrest get publicity. There are members we are sure of, and some who are tough to tell.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

bert wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:40 pm
——-
Newsday is a tabloid that will calls at least one person a member of the mob in any almost bust that has taken place over the years. Maryfarrell is more reliable, but not infallible.
Bert: you will find what I post is very very accurate (not perfect of course, but 99% I’d say ok)..... maybe some you choose NOT to believe. I’m ok with that!..... believe me it’ll be your loss is you look to “pick apart” my every post. Then your just acting like a “negative nelly” just for the sake of being contrary! Try and keep an open mind. (And DO investigate my info when and IF YIU EVEN CAN - much of what I post is singular in nature believe me! .... I’m NO jerkoff or fantasy teller! You will find as time passes that “I’m for real” ok my new friend ! 😉
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

I don't pick apart every post, I even congratulated you on a couple. Plus I never got involved in that feud over you being another poster, all I just did was join in commenting on Giordano.

If I was looking to pick apart every story you write up, I would be very busy.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Lol... agreed I’ve made a lot of profiles. You’ll see that often I profile lesser known guys. I think it’s much more interesting than regurgitating the same old info about often written about figures..... sometimes I’ll write about well known guys too! Depends on what strikes me as interesting you know? ..... so info on lesser known guys is often very singular in nature by its very definition!
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

G night.... I’m hitting the rack! I’m tired
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

——-
What MF document is that? Please provide a link.

Anyway....as I said erlier in this thread...Those lists were made very early on when FBI´s knowledge on the Mafia was limited. INewer, updated FBI lists from the 1970s and 1980s has confirmed Giordano not being a made member, or a deceased made member. Do you understand what I´m saying here?

You are doing this to humor me? What does that mean?
There you have it, never printed before.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

HK, remember that EVEN FBI lists (as we ALL know) don’t always have everyone on there, even today, as sophisticated as they are with all there high technology, DONT have everyone. So imagine back in the 1950-1970’s era!
You know, we can agree to disagree. It happens. But in “my book” he was THERE! And (btw) for many many years.......probably since the 30’s. (I could tell you something personal but then you would say “where’s the proof)...... so I’m not even going there! Because if you wanna be contrary there will be no way for me to convince you. Right?

Note: as we progress together on this site. As you read my other sometimes very unique names that few have even heard of and “check them out”...... I “hope” that you will maybe take my words with a bit more “weight” ok HK. Is that fair enough?
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

One more thing.... I’m not very sophisticated as far as being able to “upload” pics or documents .... stuff like that. I can type (lol).... but that’s pretty much where it ends. So I gave you MF the best I could. But if you type in his name, variously spelt with Vincent and/or Jimmy, you should be able to pull up the documents I did as see it for yourself ok? (I wish I could, because I have certain pics and stuff I’d post for the forum as others do)
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

HK: as an example of a “def” made guy...... Anthony Di Gregorio (there since the 1950’s) as a kid..... he was Gaspare Di Gregorio’s Son. He has NEVER been listed to
My knowledge.... on any FBI lists.... understand?

[you could contest that one also right? TELL ME .... how could I prove that] ..... but he too is there. Btw he’s still kicking. He’s in his 90’s now.