Maxie's Colombo Profiles

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Re: Maxie's Colombo Profiles

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

“Note: [Michael Franzese is the one who ‘ratted’ out Campione and Vanasco during his debriefing after turning informant, forcing them to plead out guilty rather than face him on the stand at trial - a little known FACT]”

I’ve never been as hard as Michael Franzese as some on this board has been...but this is one fact I’d like to hear his explanation on in his numerous interviews and documentary appearances when he says he never ratted on anyone and he just ‘played’ the fbi into thinking he’d cooperate.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Michael Franzese always insists that he never testified against anyone, and further insists that he never provided any information on Mafia members.

This is not true, as he testified against Norby Walters and, IIRC, a couple of others, and he also told the FBI about some of Andy Russo’s operations (I only found this out during my research of Russo so he may very well have told the FBI about other Mafia figures like the ones Maxie noted).

So, to answer your question MichaelGiovanni, Michael essentially just denies any aspect of his cooperation. I’ve noticed that when he talks about his father placing a hit contract on him, Michael refers to it as “he wanted me hit for leaving the life” as opposed to “he wanted me hit for cooperating with the FBI.”
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

gohnjotti wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 pm Michael Franzese always insists that he never testified against anyone, and further insists that he never provided any information on Mafia members.

This is not true, as he testified against Norby Walters and, IIRC, a couple of others, and he also told the FBI about some of Andy Russo’s operations (I only found this out during my research of Russo so he may very well have told the FBI about other Mafia figures like the ones Maxie noted).

So, to answer your question MichaelGiovanni, Michael essentially just denies any aspect of his cooperation. I’ve noticed that when he talks about his father placing a hit contract on him, Michael refers to it as “he wanted me hit for leaving the life” as opposed to “he wanted me hit for cooperating with the FBI.”
I watched a recent interview he did with some guy named vlad , its on youtube , he dances around the rat thing saying he only provided background information LOL
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Stroccos wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:26 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 pm Michael Franzese always insists that he never testified against anyone, and further insists that he never provided any information on Mafia members.

I watched a recent interview he did with some guy named vlad , its on youtube , he dances around the rat thing saying he only provided background information LOL
Funny... even in his book alone he does more than that, so lord knows what he told the feds.

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Michael is FULL OF SHIT! ...... when he flipped, he was debriefed by the FBI (and other agencies), they created volumes and volumes of his information. It looks like a bible it was so thick..... that “bible” fell into the hands of the hierarchy in NYC...... if your name was mentioned, they brought you in to show you ONLY your paragraph because it was SO sensitive nobody should see the whole volume.
Norby Walters (a very close associate to his father for 59 years - and Norby’s father before him)
Frank Campione - a top very close aide to his father (and made guy)
John Vanasco - another top associate later (made)
....and many others that he have “biographical” info on and “activity” info on!

AND THATS ONLY WHAT I KNOW! ...... he is thoroughly HATED throughout NYC and environs, especially by his own personal crew who he made sure to “rob” of as much money as he could before flipping and leaving for Cali.
Louis Fenza, Frank Castagnaro, and others arrested with him at that time. He had them all put up their homes for bail and eventually lost them to fines and restitution..... Franzese Had promises them he would reimburse them all for this money, 4-5 home their homes value - say $1,000,000. plus??, if they would only take the “global plea” he was negotiating..... THEY DID, listening to their fearless leader!
HE THEN (secretly had flipped).... THATS REALLY WHY HE GOT THE PLEA (10 years) ..... but what nobody knew was that he didn’t plan to even do the TEN! Because he was giving information! So NOBODY got a red cent! All his own men, who were not only in his crew, but supposedly GOOD PERSONAL FRIENDS OF HIS!....... HE IS A BAD BAD BAD GUY!
I can’t say it enough! (his own brothers and sisters can’t stand him- he hung them out to dry while he made zillions - NOT millions)!

..... NEED I SAY MORE? (Oh, and by the way - you WONT find what I got said in MF, Gangland, MMC, or anywhere else you look! Lol...... does that make me a liar? Or do my words have the ring of truth to them?) .... you decide!
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Michael is FULL OF SHIT! ...... when he flipped, he was debriefed by the FBI (and other agencies), they created volumes and volumes of his information. It looks like a bible it was so thick..... that “bible” fell into the hands of the hierarchy in NYC...... if your name was mentioned, they brought you in to show you ONLY your paragraph because it was SO sensitive nobody should see the whole volume.
Norby Walters (a very close associate to his father for 59 years - and Norby’s father before him)
Frank Campione - a top very close aide to his father (and made guy)
John Vanasco - another top associate later (made)
....and many others that he have “biographical” info on and “activity” info on!

AND THATS ONLY WHAT I KNOW! ...... he is thoroughly HATED throughout NYC and environs, especially by his own personal crew who he made sure to “rob” of as much money as he could before flipping and leaving for Cali.
Louis Fenza, Frank Castagnaro, and others arrested with him at that time. He had them all put up their homes for bail and eventually lost them to fines and restitution..... Franzese Had promised them he would reimburse them all for this money, 4-5 homes - their home value - say $1,000,000. plus??, if they would only take the “global plea” he was negotiating..... THEY DID, listening to their fearless leader!
HE THEN (secretly had flipped).... THATS REALLY WHY HE GOT THE PLEA (10 years) ..... but what nobody knew was that he didn’t plan to even do the TEN! Because he was giving information! So NOBODY got a red cent! All his own men, who were not only in his crew, but supposedly GOOD PERSONAL FRIENDS OF HIS!....... HE IS A BAD BAD BAD GUY!
I can’t say it enough! (his own brothers and sisters can’t stand him- he hung them out to dry while he made zillions - NOT millions)!

..... NEED I SAY MORE? (Oh, and by the way - you WONT find what I got said in MF, Gangland, MMC, or anywhere else you look! Lol...... does that make me a liar? Or do my words have the ring of truth to them?) .... you decide!

One last word: 10 years sounds like a lot of time, but he probably would have gotten 20-25 years straight up because of the vast money robbed and the industries hurt (remember he fucked the government of many millions in taxes alone).... so that 10 years was only for face value and a gift to begin with. He served em in California, out of view from everyone’s eyes! IMO (and knowledgable others) he only really did maybe - 12-24 months or so, because he was constantly being pulled out of his “jail” to travel around the country being debriefed and testifying before congress and other law bodies........ SO WHAT DID HE REALLY SERVE?.... 12 days? Left his own mother and kid sister to lose their Roslyn home after she had taken out multiple mortgages on them for money to survive and couldn’t pay the mortgages. A 65 year old woman at the time had to climb into her side window to live in a “bank foreclosed” house because “Fuckface” wouldn’t send her a dime! THAT is the Michael Franzese that is really known in the NYC area! (Remember Sonny was in prison again and in financial trouble after 40 years in stir)

Remember: if he had even sent $500,000. to his mom/dad and family..... he could have even sent $2-3 million and he wouldn’t have even known it was gone! .... he could have left NY and NOT HURT - ROBBED his friends., what did it mean to him (did he need the money?) LOL.... BUT THATS MICHAEL..... a very “self centered -pretty boy” who thinks it’s all about him!
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

PS: and Frank Castagnaro (never a brain surgeon) actually talked to Michael after like 25 years because he is destitute and hoping for a “bone” to be thrown his way!
Not a bad guy but a crash dummy! As for others, the more intelligent and independent, they hate him!
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Next up......profiles of Dominick Cataldo and Anthony Guidice to follow
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

He is a “snake”! .... and a punk!
pharion
Straightened out

Post by pharion »

maxiestern11 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:53 pm FRANK (FRANKIE CAMP) CAMPIONE - born 1942 in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. By the early 1960’s, he moved to Glendale, Queens. From the late-1960’s on, he resided in New Hyde Park, LI (130 Sycamore Drive) in Nassau County.
A former “tin knocker” and member of the Sheet Metal Workers Union (AFL-CIO).

By the late 1970’s, Campione had been identified by the FBI as an “associate” in the Colombo family, who would layer be “officially” inducted about 1990 as a “soldier” in the family.

A former driver and bodyguard of Capo John (Sonny) Franzese.....who lived only three blocks away in Roslyn’s exclusive “Hamilton Park” section, Campione was considered a close pal and aide to Franzese for decades.

Activities: shylocking, strong-arm, “shakedowns” and extortion, gasoline-bootlegging racket (tax evasion).

Close criminal associates over the years have included:

Franzese and his two sons Michael and John Jr. (both sons later turned federal informant)

...........................various Colombo capo’s:

- Victor (Vic Jr) Orena Jr.

- Pasquale (Big Patty) Amato - his capo during Franzese’s incarceration

- Michael Catapano - a Franzese nephew (Sonny’s sisters son)

................... and various Colombo soldiers:

- Frank (Chickie) Leto - his mentor (reputedly proposed him) and close friend

- Angelo Leto - Chickie’s son and aide

- Robert (Bobby Green) Falvo - close personal friend and early mentor to Frank

- Thomas Ocera - his first mob overseer while Franzese was “away” in “college”

- Frank (The Bug) Sciortino - who he would be Indicted with for gasoline racketeering

- John (Johnny V) Vanasco - former Family associate who later transferred to the Lucchese Family

- Ciro Perrone - a veteran-Genovese soldier and Campione’s cousin by marriage

He was “under” Franzese (but served in other regimes during Franzese parole violations). By mid-1986, after another violation (for 8 years), he was then placed under Thomas Ocera, and ultimately Leto who was said to have “proposed” him.

In approximately 1989-90, indicted for bribery and obstruction of justice for “reaching” a grand juror (Orange Tutt) serving on a panel investigating Michael Franzese back in the mid-1980’s. Campione’s co-defendant was Franzese associate John (Johnny V) Vanasco (Tutt had been an employee of Vanasco’s car dealership).

Note: [Michael Franzese is the one who ‘ratted’ out Campione and Vanasco during his debriefing after turning informant, forcing them to plead out guilty rather than face him on the stand at trial - a little known FACT]

Indicted again by 1991, on multiple counts of extortion and loansharking for having lent $50,000. (at $1,500. weekly or 3%) to a Plainview businessman who ran to the FBI after having paid Frankie Camp for over four years (over $300,000. in vigorish alone).

Also indicted at that time, on additional counts of defrauding the U.S. Government for having collected “permanent disability” insurance for several decades (claiming he was seriously injured while he was a sheet-metal worker). The FBI disproved his claims by surveilling him, taking pictures of Campione dancing at nightclubs, smacking around delinquent shylock borrowers and serving as a driver-bodyguard for Franzese.

[these three separate indictments looming over his head convinced him to plead out, accepting a “sweet” 30-month sentence]

Note: but while Campione was serving this sentence, he got into a heated argument with a Gambino hood named Robert “Bobby the Snake” Sassano - younger brother of Gambino soldier Thomas “Monk” Sassano, while they were both in prison. Campione repeatedly stabbed Sassano from his neck down through his chest and belly, opening him up like a soup can. Seriously injured, Sassano kept “omertà”, but within days of the fight, he had a massive heart-attack and died. Authorities tried charging Campione with manslaughter but couldn’t prove the knife attack had led to the heart attack, so he was allowed to plead out to felonious assault (sentenced to an additional 4-8 years in the state).

During the early 1980’s he was partners in several gasoline “distribution firms” that were part of a complex “daisy chain” of firms designed to defraud state and federal governments of almost .30 cents per gallon on millions and millions of gallons of gasoline. The firms: CMC Distributors (one of the C’s was for Campione) and LeBo Petroleum of Plainview (the “Le” for Lenny, the “Bo” stood for longtime partners “Bobby Blue Eyes” Mauro and “Bobby Green” Falvo).
When the Michael Franzese gas-tax bootlegging indictments came down, partners Campione, Falvo and Mauro were far enough detached from Franzese’s core companies that they avoided indictment.

[some years later Campione would not be so lucky, getting indicted in another Family gasoline-bootleg case with Frank Sciortino and several Lucchese mob figures including Russian mobsters]

He was never known to be in any legitimate business. And his only legitimate employment was as a sheet-metal worker during his youth until his mid-thirties.
[he did have a piece of CMC - during the gas scam - does that count?] lol

After serving out multiple prison terms for the above mentioned various indictments, Frankie was paroled only to find himself smack dab in the middle of the aftermath from the so-called “third Colombo Family mob war” for control of the family!
The “conflict” was technically over, but many Orena “sympathizers” were still very hesitant to mix with other family members, fearing that certain Persico “loyalists” would seek revenge [as they had with “Wild Billy “ Cutolo and several others] ..... Campione and Leto were just two of many soldiers fearful to realign with the Persico leadership.
Franzese gained parole about this time (2004) and was reportedly instrumental in helping to “bridge the gap” so to speak. “Frankie Camp”, having been originally with the Franzese faction, agreed to “come in” with Sonny’s urging and protection against retribution.

“Back in the saddle”, again serving under Franzese (who had been elevated to official underboss), Campione comfortably resumed his “forte” of strong-arm extortion and loanshark activity in tandem with Sonny and his nephew Mike Catapano.

By 2008, the hammer fell again!
This time on twelve reputed members and associates in the Franzese crew, and several other high-ranking members in the Colombo leadership, including “Acting Boss” Thomas (Tommy Shots) Gioeli and Sonny Franzese himself [aside from parole troubles, this was the first new indictment for Sonny since the 1960’s].
Charged with multiple “Rico” counts; extortion, loanshark, murder, robbery, etc..... a entire potpourris of varied counts, all were tired and convicted. Campione (having only been charged with extortion) served several additional years before getting it again.

[others included Joseph DiGorga, Dino Saracino, Dino Calabro, Joseph Competiello, Catapano and several others.

Note: a bit of levity in regard to Campione. During one jail “bit”, while imprisoned at MCC (Metropolitan Correctional Center) in Lower Manhattan, Frankie ranked and raved in several letters he wrote to his son Michael, who was ducking his father’s calls from prison, and had sold his dad’s car, stealing the sale money).... while it’s too long to add to this already long post, I suggest readers google it for a good laugh. However, the judge on Frankie’s case, upon reviewing the letter, wasn’t laughing, calling him a incorrigible hoodlum and mafioso, who deserved no mercy from the court..... and Frankie didn’t get any either, getting slammed with another heavy sentence!

After being paroled for what seemed like the thousandth time, Campione get very sick shortly thereafter and passed away quickly.
An appropriate epitaph could read “he was a loyal, diehard mob soldier and “omertà” adherent to the end!..... I think Frankie Camp would have liked that moniker and tag........
“Frankie Camp” died at the age of 70 years old, in 2012. RIP Frankie!
———————————————————————————————————-
maxie this is a masterpiece
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Pharion .....MY MAN! Lol..... thank you for that! [maybe now I’ll start to get a little respect and validation on the forum].... I know “I’m the new guy”! ...... so it’s good to hear that from you and some others!

👍👌😉
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

gohnjotti wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 pmSo, to answer your question MichaelGiovanni, Michael essentially just denies any aspect of his cooperation. I’ve noticed that when he talks about his father placing a hit contract on him, Michael refers to it as “he wanted me hit for leaving the life” as opposed to “he wanted me hit for cooperating with the FBI.”
I didn’t really ask a question and I’m fully aware and completely agree with you on his constant denials. The point I was trying to make is I would like to hear him take full accountability in what he did. I get he will never answer honestly but I wish someone would present him with the info Maxie provided and then see what he has to say about instead of the easy questions he’s always asked in every interview and documentary he does.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

He controls what they ask him, he discusses the subject matter to be discussed before the interview. Unless someone "Japs" him with the questions, it'll never happen!
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

DOMINICK (LITTLE DOM) CATALDO - born 1936 in Brooklyn (Essex Street), East New York section. FBI # 139341D, NYCPD # B-431893. Moved into the Ozone Park area by the 1960’s. He later relocated a bit further east to Valley Stream (1096 Ashley Drive) in Nassau County.

Longtime “associate” who eventually became an inducted “soldier” in the Colombo Family. Dominick had a brother named Joseph who was also an “associate” of this family, he served under Dom.

Dominick was a mid sized (5’-7”), compact and muscular (150lbs), sharp nice-looking man, with a quick wit and quick hands. He had the potential for a fiery temper, but was loyal to his friends, both in and out of the mob. Very well liked by his friends (not so much by his enemies), “Little Dom” made the rounds pretty good in his day, bouncing around New York, Long Island, and even South Florida monthly (looking for narcotics and scores).

Known as a heist guy or trickster (hijackings, burglaries, armed robberies) and an enforcer, he was known to have done ample “work” in his day.

He owned a piece of several bars and nightclubs over the years (the lounge at the Kennedy Inn Hotel near JFK Airport was one). He also had owned the Villagio Italia Restaurant on Rockaway Ave., on the South Shore of LI.....which he was proud of.

But primarily “Little Dom” was a hoodlum through and though!.... and he loved it! .......think “Jimmy Cagney style”.....nobody fucked with Dom!
A highly respected member, who traveled in high circles! (he was an intimate of many of the Colombo hierarchy - as can be evidenced by his inclusion in the “Colombo Family” indictment).

He was active in most of the typical rackets: gambling, loansharking, extortion (big time - he loved shaking suckers down - lol), labor rackets, etc....... but he was really into truck hijacking and “planned” big-money heists! .... He also got into narcotics trafficking (mostly cocaine) from South Florida to the NYC area later in life!

Recognized as a very loyal and “capable” soldier, Dom was a force to reckon with! Aligned with the Persico faction, he did their bidding unfailingly!

In the early 1970’s, future informant Salvatore (Crazy Sal) Polisi stated that he started out serving under Dom Cataldo, with his crew in the East New York and Ozone Park areas.
Note [little known FACT: Polisi’s uncle - Anthony, was originally associated with the Sonny Franzese crew. He even was indicted on bank robbery charges that eventually got Sonny the 50 years..... he also was tied to the Ernie Rupolo murder - in that it “allegedly” took place at Polisi’s Aquaduct Motor Inn] ..... a charge that Sonny was tried for, and “acquitted” of, I might add! 😎

In 1984, he was one of eleven top Colombo hoods (basically the whole hierarchy) charged in a huge 53 count Rico indictment. They were charged with extortion, usury, bribery, major thefts-robberies, gambling, narcotics, labor rackets (controlling Local’s #100 & #6 - Restaurant Workers Union through Vito Pitta - a top Union official), etc.... all were held without bail as dangers to the community..... after an explosive trial, all were convicted and received long prison terms (Dom got 14 years).

[Cataldo used attorney Michael Coiro for the case - a close friend......maybe too close!
Prosecutors would later indict Coiro as a mob “associate”]

[co-defendants included Carmine Persico, Jerry Langella, Dominick Montemorano, Anthony Scarpati, Jackie DeRoss, Frank Falanga, Frank Melli, Ralph Scopo Sr (official of the Cement Workers Union), Thomas DiBella, Pitta and Cataldo.

This trial was a long and very interesting case study on mob control over many industries. Some of the unions claimed to be under the dominion of the Colombo Family:

Cement & Concrete Workers Union - Local # 6-A (Manhattan)
-
District Council of Cement & Concrete Workers (Queens)
-
Hotel, Restaurant & Club Employee’s
& Bartender’s Union - Local # 6 (Manhattan)
-
Hotel Employees & Restaurant Employees Union - Local # 100 (Manhattan)
-
The New York Hotel & Motel Trades Council (Manhattan)
-
Teamsters Union - Local # 707 (Queens)
-
Teamsters Union - Local # 617 (Jersey City, NJ)
-
Note: [observers often say other NY families control all the unions - Genovese, Gambino or Lucchese. But this indictment clearly showed that the Colombo’s controlled many varied unions]..... and this was just a small piece of their labor union domination in varied industries!]

It was said that you could NOT pour concrete in New York City without the Colombo Family!
Both the construction and restaurant-nightclub industries were affected by this family.

Among his many criminal associates over the years were:
Dominick (Donny Shacks) Montemorano - at one point possibly his capo
Alphonse (Little Allie) Persico
Alphonse (Big Funzi) Tarricone
Ralph Lombardo
Charles Lombardo
Gaetano (Tommy) Ocera
Nicholas Botta
John (Johnny Irish) Matera
Thomas Farese
Anthony (Tony Pep) Trentacosta
Anthony (Fat Andy) Ruggiano

Arrest record: it was hard to fully access, but I believe he had: assault, robbery, possession of guns (with a silencer) in appx. 1980, obstruction of justice, bribery and conspiracy (Judge bribery case), racketeering conspiracy, racketeering, extortion, narcotics trafficking (Colombo Family case)..... and probably a few earlier arrests I couldn’t pull up.
-
In the early 1980’s, a Queens Judge - William Brennan, was bribed by Cataldo and other Colombo hoods who got their criminal cases either reduced or thrown out. They utilized Andy Bruno - who had run the lounge at the Pan-American Motor Lodge on Queens Blvd., in Queens, as a “conduit” since he was a close friend of Brennan. This went on for years, until the scheme was exposed (by a rat of course) and multiple indictments came down. Andy Bruno (always known as a weasel) turned rat, testifying against the judge, and many others.

Note: [little known FACT, the main owner of the “Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza” chain (Anthony), is the son of informant Andy Bruno]

Note: [this is the case where veteran Colombo bookmaker Nicky Botta also turned informant]

With his conviction in late 1986 in the “Colombo Family Trial”, Dom was sentenced to fourteen years in federal prison.
Although Google and various so-called mob websites list his death consistently as 1997, it is NOT so!

For a FACT, I believe “Little Dom” Cataldo died while serving his time in about 1988-1989, if memory serves me correctly...... Also, various sites list his birth in 1923, but that’s another misnomer..... he was not that old! Lol

Dom was born in 1936.......and died in approximately 1988-1990. He was only about 53-54 years old!

“Little Dom” Cataldo was a true hoodlum and devout mafioso, who lived every day as if it were his last (and considering he died so very young, maybe he was on to something) ........with laughter, breaking balls, and whose every waking minute was dedicated to thieving and scheming - which he quite simply loved!

“R.I.P. DOM”

Note: [his brother Joey, was believed to have moved down to Florida after Dom’s death - no dod available]
———————————————————————————————————-
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Cataldo died August 22, 1990.