General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

slimshady_007
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by slimshady_007 »

eboli wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:44 am He was suspected of murdering Tony Placido - a member of Corozzo's crew - I have seen him listed only as a "close associate" of Corozzo. Arena and his buddy Andrew DiDonato were robbing left and right without kicking money up too.
When was Placido killed?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

bert wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 pm
Lupara wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:39 pm Was the Billy Batts killed by Tommy DeSimone really a made member of the Gambinos? According to Wikipedia he was made in the 1960s. But since the books were closed in '57 I therefore wonder whether he was a made man.
Not made. William Bentvena was caught up in one of the big narcotics cases of the late 1950s and sentenced to prison in the early 1960s. He was killed not that long after he was released.
Do you know if he was really killed by DeSimone, and if so in the way the movie portrayed it?
No I don´t. But It would be weird if Henry Hill made up the story (that DeSimone and Burke) killed him. But who knows....?

It was JD (several years ago) who posted about William Bentvena, who on the street was known as "Billy Batts" being killed. An informant claimed that he had been killed over a drug dispute. The informant could very well have been wrong about the reason of Bentvena´s killing. But apparently that was what he had heard on the street.

Although there certainly are exceptions, Bentvena was too young to have been made in the 1950s (born in 1933) and he could have not been made in the early 1960s since the books were closed. Considering that there was an FBI investigation looking into his murder (they must have asked and interviewed their Mafia informants about Bentvena), they must have come to the conclusion that he wasn´t made. He is not listed as a deceased Mafia member on any of the lists they put together in the 1970s.

This is Bentvena´s SSDI:

Name: William Bentvena
State of Issue: New York
Date of Birth: Wednesday February 22, 1933
Date of Death: December 1970
Est. Age at Death: 37 years, 9 month
There you have it, never printed before.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

slimshady_007 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:57 am
eboli wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:44 am He was suspected of murdering Tony Placido - a member of Corozzo's crew - I have seen him listed only as a "close associate" of Corozzo. Arena and his buddy Andrew DiDonato were robbing left and right without kicking money up too.
When was Placido killed?
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 am
bert wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 pm
Lupara wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:39 pm Was the Billy Batts killed by Tommy DeSimone really a made member of the Gambinos? According to Wikipedia he was made in the 1960s. But since the books were closed in '57 I therefore wonder whether he was a made man.
Not made. William Bentvena was caught up in one of the big narcotics cases of the late 1950s and sentenced to prison in the early 1960s. He was killed not that long after he was released.
Do you know if he was really killed by DeSimone, and if so in the way the movie portrayed it?
No I don´t. But It would be weird if Henry Hill made up the story (that DeSimone and Burke) killed him. But who knows....?

It was JD (several years ago) who posted about William Bentvena, who on the street was known as "Billy Batts" being killed. An informant claimed that he had been killed over a drug dispute. The informant could very well have been wrong about the reason of Bentvena´s killing. But apparently that was what he had heard on the street.

Although there certainly are exceptions, Bentvena was too young to have been made in the 1950s (born in 1933) and he could have not been made in the early 1960s since the books were closed. Considering that there was an FBI investigation looking into his murder (they must have asked and interviewed their Mafia informants about Bentvena), they must have come to the conclusion that he wasn´t made. He is not listed as a deceased Mafia member on any of the lists they put together in the 1970s.

This is Bentvena´s SSDI:

Name: William Bentvena
State of Issue: New York
Date of Birth: Wednesday February 22, 1933
Date of Death: December 1970
Est. Age at Death: 37 years, 9 month
Good Info HK. I always took the Movie literally that "Billy Batts" was a made guy. They sure made it seem that way. In fact, that was the entire reason why Pesci got killed in the Movie because he "supposedly" killed a made guy.
I wonder what else is not accurate in that movie?
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

I think Hill lied, but lied more when Pileggi prodded him too, and way more once the movie was coming out. No way DeSimone was ever getting made. On another note, DeSimone was a big guy, and Henry Hill was small. They made DeSimone into a little yapping guy, and Henry Hill into a tall, good looking, well built guy for the movie. Paul Reubens would have made a realistic Henry Hill. Ray Liotta could have played DeSimone to make it more realistic.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

Best movie ever made!
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

For what it's worth, D'Arco backs up Hill's claim that they lured DeSimone to his death by telling him he was going to be made. D'Arco expressed discomfort with that tactic though
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

I know it's a general question, but well: what are the best books about the 5 families and Outfit? I have read "Informer: The History of American Crime and Law Enforcement May - 2014", and I am currently reading "The Mob and the City", I would like to know what other books you recommend.
Because I see many books contain misleading or dubious information.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

aleksandrored wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 am I know it's a general question, but well: what are the best books about the 5 families and Outfit? I have read "Informer: The History of American Crime and Law Enforcement May - 2014", and I am currently reading "The Mob and the City", I would like to know what other books you recommend.
I haven't read it because it is not in my language and I am afraid of being lost, but 5 Families by Selwyn Raab has a good reputation. For Outfit i don't know.
I never think to read Informer but I often see it here, is it good? Where can we buy it?
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

motorfab wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:26 am
aleksandrored wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 am I know it's a general question, but well: what are the best books about the 5 families and Outfit? I have read "Informer: The History of American Crime and Law Enforcement May - 2014", and I am currently reading "The Mob and the City", I would like to know what other books you recommend.
I haven't read it because it is not in my language and I am afraid of being lost, but 5 Families by Selwyn Raab has a good reputation. For Outfit i don't know.
I never think to read Informer but I often see it here, is it good? Where can we buy it?
http://informer.magcloud.com/
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

On "Five Families", I did not read this but it seems that he speaks the same things as always: Luciano killed the two heads of NY and created the commission and the 5 families, then asked Lanky to Muder.inc and etc ... , I may be wrong, but someone confirms me if this book is the same thing we always see in the documentaries?
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Pretty much. I've found Raab gets quite a few things incorrect too, but maybe at time of writing he didn't have access to the info mob enthusiasts have now.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

So it's a good book? I'm in doubt if I read it or not.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

aleksandrored wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:10 pm So it's a good book? I'm in doubt if I read it or not.
It’s brilliant.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
z23
Honorary Member

Post by z23 »

This may not be the correct place for my question but on the subject of Mafia books does anyone have an opinion on the writer John Dickie? Is he any good? He focuses on the Italian Mafia (in Italy) and the Sicilian Mafia and their history. He has four books out that I am looking at on amazon but don't know which one to start with or whether he as a historian is worth the time.

His books are as follows

(1) Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia (2005)

(2) Mafia brotherhoods: The Rise of the Italian Mafias (2012)

(3) Mafia Republic: Italy's Criminal Curse. Cosa Nostra, 'Ndrangheta and Camorra from 1946 to the Present (2012)

(4) Blood Brotherrhoods: A History of Italy's Three Mafias (2014)

Any feedback other than issuing me a load of crap for asking this question here would be appreciated. Thanks.