Mafia recruits

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

scagghiuni
Full Patched

Re: Mafia recruits

Post by scagghiuni »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:18 pm RICO certainly had an effect over the last 30+ years in decimating the mafia. There are more turncoats over the last 30 years than ever before, which certainly affects the membership and bringing new blood in. Calabrians have been going to Argentina (Buenos Aires) since the 1880's. I agree 100% on the culture change. It's a culture of rats. American born mobsters, especially the 3rd and 4th generation American Mobsters have no honor to their oath. It makes sense as their ancestors came here with nothing and went out and earned a living on the streets and with secrecy. Calabrians have been infiltrating Australia since the 1930's (and I believe at least 20 years prior to that).
mobsters never had honor, the difference is that in the past there were no rico, witness protection programs etc. hoower even said the mafia didn''t exist... when the goverment goes after them seriously they start singing, same in italy after the maxi-trial in 92
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

scagghiuni wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:29 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:18 pm RICO certainly had an effect over the last 30+ years in decimating the mafia. There are more turncoats over the last 30 years than ever before, which certainly affects the membership and bringing new blood in. Calabrians have been going to Argentina (Buenos Aires) since the 1880's. I agree 100% on the culture change. It's a culture of rats. American born mobsters, especially the 3rd and 4th generation American Mobsters have no honor to their oath. It makes sense as their ancestors came here with nothing and went out and earned a living on the streets and with secrecy. Calabrians have been infiltrating Australia since the 1930's (and I believe at least 20 years prior to that).
mobsters never had honor, the difference is that in the past there were no rico, witness protection programs etc. hoower even said the mafia didn''t exist... when the goverment goes after them seriously they start singing, same in italy after the maxi-trial in 92
The government was always after them, form the days of Capone and Lepke onwards. Yet they did not rat, and I don't think they would have even with wits protection. For so many guys to die in prison or go to their death in the electric chair, like it or not, they had to have some sort of honor and belief. That is what changed.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

bert wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm
The government was always after them, form the days of Capone and Lepke onwards. Yet they did not rat, and I don't think they would have even with wits protection. For so many guys to die in prison or go to their death in the electric chair, like it or not, they had to have some sort of honor and belief. That is what changed.
Agreed 100%
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

bert wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm
To summarize, What changed is a combination of two things:
1). R.I.C.O. Act
2). The basic culture of America which has gone way downhill.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

bert wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm The government was always after them, form the days of Capone and Lepke onwards. Yet they did not rat, and I don't think they would have even with wits protection. For so many guys to die in prison or go to their death in the electric chair, like it or not, they had to have some sort of honor and belief. That is what changed.
no, before valachi they didn't even know the mafia existed as an organization, capone was senteced for tax evasion when he ordered dozens murders, lucky luciano for prostitution (he probably was not even guilty) etc. the us goverment started to fight the mob seriously only at the beginning of the '80
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

scagghiuni wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:28 pm
bert wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm The government was always after them, form the days of Capone and Lepke onwards. Yet they did not rat, and I don't think they would have even with wits protection. For so many guys to die in prison or go to their death in the electric chair, like it or not, they had to have some sort of honor and belief. That is what changed.
no, before valachi they didn't even know the mafia existed as an organization, capone was senteced for tax evasion when he ordered dozens murders, lucky luciano for prostitution (he probably was not even guilty) etc. the us goverment started to fight the mob seriously only at the beginning of the '80
Correct. RICO was written in the 1970's by Notre Dame Professor Robert Blakely. The first major RICO case was Angelo Lonardo in 1983 in Cleveland, he was the first boss ever to get convicted of RICO. The Commission trial was in 1986. Hence, RICO influenced change in culture. Minimum of 25-Life. Stiff penalties, lots of canaries
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Actually Funzi Tieri was the first Boss to be inducted under RICO if my memory is correct. In 1980 I believe.

As for the mob, LE knew of its existence long before Valachi. They knew of it as far back as the 1900s. Guys were constantly getting busted during is existence. Though of course it the rate of arrests skyrocket from the 1980s onward.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 am Wiseguy, not sure what exactly pissed you off but please keep the discussion civil in this section.

I´m not sure if Solai has announced it but I´m back as a moderator. Enjoy the discussion and the debate. And please keep the personal attacks out of here.
Oh! Two minutes he's in charge, he's fuckin' Lee Iacocca.

(Just kidding, HK. Will do.)
All roads lead to New York.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Tieri was sentenced to 10 years under RICO. Jimmy Fratianno was the star witness in his trial.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:38 pm Actually Funzi Tieri was the first Boss to be inducted under RICO if my memory is correct. In 1980 I believe.

As for the mob, LE knew of its existence long before Valachi. They knew of it as far back as the 1900s. Guys were constantly getting busted during is existence. Though of course it the rate of arrests skyrocket from the 1980s onward.

Pogo
they suspected it because they have some informants, italian government knew cosa nostra existed since at least 1860 but it was showed only in 1992, it's evident that both italian and american mafia were protected by very powerful politicians in the past, parts of the government
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

scagghiuni wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:28 pm
Oh, you are right that they ignored them in comparison to the post Appalachia years, but they went after them often enough considering local prosectors were tough on them. Dewey was going to put Dutch Schultz and Luciano both away if he could. I think it was Hoover who arrested Lepke, and of course Capone had the IRS after him. I forget if it was the feds who put Bugs Moran away or locals?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:38 pm Actually Funzi Tieri was the first Boss to be inducted under RICO if my memory is correct. In 1980 I believe.

Pogo
My bad, forgot about Funzi. The actual first prosecution was against a Hells Angel MC member in 1979...no conviction though.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:45 pm
HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 am Wiseguy, not sure what exactly pissed you off but please keep the discussion civil in this section.

I´m not sure if Solai has announced it but I´m back as a moderator. Enjoy the discussion and the debate. And please keep the personal attacks out of here.
Oh! Two minutes he's in charge, he's fuckin' Lee Iacocca.

(Just kidding, HK. Will do.)
I´d hit the like button for this post if there was one.
There you have it, never printed before.
scott22
Straightened out

Post by scott22 »

Jack Licavoli (Cleveland LCN boss) was convicted under RICO in 1982.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

scott22 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:36 am Jack Licavoli (Cleveland LCN boss) was convicted under RICO in 1982.
Yes he was with Angelo a year later after he broke off from the case when he cooperated

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP