DeCavalcante Bust

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: DeCavalcante Bust

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Yes. Though at 90 he is not moving around all that much. Though he did perform a making ceremony recently.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Though he did perform a making ceremony recently.
Pogo
Source please pogo?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Found some info that Frank Nigro was originally a soldier in Bobby Basile's crew when he was a captain.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:Source please pogo?

It was in a GL column about this bust. Here is the relevant part.

According to the complaint, and knowledgeable Gang Land sources, Charlie The Hat and his cronies disagree strongly with the decision by the DeCavalcante family's ailing and aging official boss, John Riggi, to sponsor and induct Oliveri, 41, as a "made man." After serving more than 20 years in prison for three racketeering indictments, Riggi, 89, was released from prison in late 2012. He is still the official boss, but sources say many wiseguys know he is on his way out and does not have any real clout.
B. wrote:Found some info that Frank Nigro was originally a soldier in Bobby Basile's crew when he was a captain.

Good find. By the late 90s/early 2000s he ended up as a Soldier under Giuseppe "Pino" Schifillitti.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Seems JoJo Ferrara might also have been in Basile's crew originally.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Good info. Do you happen to know where Basiles' Crew fit in with the linege of the other Crews? This is one of the more confusing and unknown aspects of the DeCavalcantes.

Pogo
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Thanks Pogo regards the GL response.

Also good question above, be interested as to the answer.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Good info. Do you happen to know where Basiles' Crew fit in with the linege of the other Crews? This is one of the more confusing and unknown aspects of the DeCavalcantes.

Pogo
Not sure, but I think the lineage is pretty loose, especially with the Jersey guys. I would guess he was promoted sometime in the early 70's and then demoted/stepped down sometime between 1978-1980 when he ran into legal trouble and moved to Florida. He lived in Long Branch, so it's possible it went to Jimmy Palermo who lived farther south in Toms River (where Basile crew member Frank Nigro would live). I'm not sure if someone has better info about the timing of Palermo's promotion to capo.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Yes. Though at 90 he is not moving around all that much. Though he did perform a making ceremony recently.

Pogo
Any source for that? Who was made?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Luigi "Dog" Oliveri. Read my reply a few posts back.

Pogo
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

TommyGambino wrote:
Pogo The Clown wrote:Yes. Though at 90 he is not moving around all that much. Though he did perform a making ceremony recently.

Pogo
Any source for that? Who was made?
its all in the gangland a few weeks back.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

B. wrote:
johnny_scootch wrote:Horse - Charlie Majuri
Milk - Joe Merlo

I think I know who big head is but it conflicts with some other info I have so until I know for sure I won't put it out there.
Stango claims that Milk's uncle was the underboss or consigliere way back when. The Merlos do go way back in the family and are related to the Riggis and probably others, but never heard of any of them having an admin spot. Maybe one of them filled a spot during a time when we don't know the full administration, though.
Don't take every word Stango said to the bank. Half the time these guys are bullshitting.

Has someone read all the transcripts of his conversations? I'd like to know if there was any specific mention of Nigro being consigliere.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

There's another possibility that Merlo's uncle was one of the people who is already known to be underboss or consigliere. Also, it could be uncle like dad's cousin or something.These guys know the blood relationships and marriage relationships more than we do.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

toto wrote:There's another possibility that Merlo's uncle was one of the people who is already known to be underboss or consigliere. Also, it could be uncle like dad's cousin or something.These guys know the blood relationships and marriage relationships more than we do.
That's what I was thinking. It's especially true in this family where so many of the guys trace their heritage back to the same little Sicilian town and the same small neighborhood in Elizabeth. We also have a lot of gaps in our knowledge of the administration in the old days.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Luigi "Dog" Oliveri. Read my reply a few posts back.

Pogo
Thanks, what's he doing holding ceremonies at his age, maybe he's not as withdrawn from the family as people make out.