Patriarcas 2015 ?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: Patriarcas 2015 ?

Post by Ivan »

Chris Christie wrote:Find me one instance in mob history where it's mentioned in direct terms- not narrative- when someone is anointed "Don" or Godfather.
Well, there aren't any that I know of. Mr. Leonetti was using it to relate to his readership. Maybe he got it from Scott? :D

If any specific term is used at all, it's usually just "boss", right?
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

And since this is a New England thread. NE Italian Organized Crime OC goes back to at least 1870. Through various stages of history it underwent transformations, merges, alliances. All which formed the modern Mafia or LCN or Office or whatever. To start at 1931 is one way to go about it. Certainly underworld changes occurred with Maranzano's death. But to just "lay off" Luciano as credited everything post 1931 is a lazy man's out... Boston and Providence had two distinct factions. Under Luciano's rule that shit would have been put by the wayside. Instead it was an issue that dates back before the 1920's. Question everything. Don't take my word for it. I'm just another forum asshole, start by asking Antiliar on ancient NE history.
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

Another example of Scott not doing his homework and mixing fiction in with reality:
Alongside his hulking bodyguard Dennis (Denny Champagne) Lepore, Ferrara cornered Sagansky and his right-hand man Moe Weinstein at a restaurant in downtown Boston owned by grizzled New England gangster and FBI informant Angelo (Sonny) Mercurio that was wired for sound – Mercurio helped the feds bug the making ceremony as well.
From a 1993 Los Angeles Times article:
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-21/ ... east-coast
Lepore was drinking Taittinger, pink, a $200 bottle. He called her "Harlow" because of her blond hair and, well, she had a figure. She called him "Napoleon" because he was 5-foot-7 and had a classic Roman nose.
Dennis Lepore was 5'7 and his goomah nicknamed him Napoleon!!!! That is a 'hulking' presence?!?!!?

This may be a small oversight when isolated but these little things add up when they happen over and over again. Peter Limone starting to lose it at 81? Maybe like most 80 year olds but do we now necessarily believe that Scott has an inside scoop on that? I don't.

This to me is bad journalism. Dennis Lepore was never 'hulking' at 5'7, never! That is bad.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Chris Christie wrote:I respect the guy professionally and personally. He writes about families no one else does so that should get a decent following. But If I could just get him to STOP calling every boss he encounters "don" as if it's a formal title I'd be fine. "Don" and "godfather" are TV terms. There's never found on a single FBI bug picking up those terms to signify rank. In Detroit, Nove Tocco was picked up saying: "They want to make (Jackie Giacalone) the next Jack Tocco." Those terms exactly.

I can just surmise that Scott goes with "don" and "godfather" and "goodfellas" because he sees it as a form of self-marketing.
In no way, shape or form am I questioning Scott's integrity. Plus, I admire his site for the mere fact that is different than all the others. Most writers I know have a team of people who do research and info is as good as sources. Scott is by far the best we have on Detroit with more knowledge there than most people have on their respected areas. I was just saying a few things I caught that were either breaking news (Anthony Parillo) or wrong (Youngstown stuff).
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

JCB1977 wrote:
Chris Christie wrote:I respect the guy professionally and personally. He writes about families no one else does so that should get a decent following. But If I could just get him to STOP calling every boss he encounters "don" as if it's a formal title I'd be fine. "Don" and "godfather" are TV terms. There's never found on a single FBI bug picking up those terms to signify rank. In Detroit, Nove Tocco was picked up saying: "They want to make (Jackie Giacalone) the next Jack Tocco." Those terms exactly.

I can just surmise that Scott goes with "don" and "godfather" and "goodfellas" because he sees it as a form of self-marketing.
In no way, shape or form am I questioning Scott's integrity. Plus, I admire his site for the mere fact that is different than all the others. Most writers I know have a team of people who do research and info is as good as sources. Scott is by far the best we have on Detroit with more knowledge there than most people have on their respected areas. I was just saying a few things I caught that were either breaking news (Anthony Parillo) or wrong (Youngstown stuff).
See my prior post. I'm with you. It seems to be a trend more than a one off. You lose credibility in my book when you continue to insert half-truths.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

mike68 wrote:
JCB1977 wrote:

See my prior post. I'm with you. It seems to be a trend more than a one off. You lose credibility in my book when you continue to insert half-truths.
Keep in mind that Scott is knee deep in his career as a journalist, his own projects which he is authoring and keeping up a website. I understand where you are coming from Mike68, but I know Scott to be a person of high integrity and moral fiber. I am 100% positive that if you pm'd Scott, he would be receptive to hearing a critique...after all, he is a writer.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Former mob boss Luigi Manocchio back on Federal Hill
By Tim White
May 13, 2015

(News Video Below)

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Former New England mob boss Luigi “Baby Shacks” Manocchio is back home on Federal Hill.

Edmond Ross, a spokesperson for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, said the 87-year-old is now listed as being held on home confinement. Ross would not say exactly where Manocchio is located, he said it is “wherever he established his home.”

Rhode Island State Police Colonel Steven O’Donnell said Manocchio is returning to his apartment on Atwells Avenue where he has lived for more than a decade.

On Tuesday Ross said Manocchio had been transferred to a halfway house in an undisclosed location, but that he would be eligible to be held on home confinement at some point.

In confirming Manocchio was now in home confinement Ross said it was likely the former inmate was fitted with an electronic monitoring device at the residential reentry center – or halfway house – before being sent home.

“This is not unusual because if there is no benefit to the individual to be at a reentry center they will send them to home confinement,” Ross said. “In this case he is an elderly gentleman so it is likely he is not seeking employment, which is one of the programs at the reentry center.”

He was released from a federal prison in North Carolina on Tuesday.

O’Donnell said after Manocchio “retired” from being mob boss, the balance of power shifted to Boston. He said the crime family Manocchio is coming home to is splintered.

“The entire La Cosa Nostra nationally – traditional organized crime as we refer to it – is broken, is a shell of what it used to be,” O’Donnell said “But it’s like a snake it reinvents itself so you have to pay attention to it.”

O’Donnell declined to say if detectives will visit Manocchio.

“Hopefully he just continues on to do the right thing, sees the errors in his ways and stays away from that business if he can do that,” said O’Donnell.

Ross said inmates released to home confinement are under strict guidelines.

“He is accountable all the time,” Ross said. “He is still under supervision and electronic monitoring and is still under supervision under responsibility of the [halfway house].”

Ross said they make daily phone calls and will make unannounced visits, he declined to say what halfway house is handling Manocchio’s case.

The nearest one is located on Huntington Ave. in Boston.

Manocchio pleaded guilty in 2012 to charges he and others shook down strip clubs for protection money as part of a sweeping crackdown into organized crime. He was sentenced to 5 1/2 years in prison.

He will remain on electronic monitoring until his sentence expires. Manocchio will then be on supervised release for three years.

http://wpri.com/2015/05/13/former-mob-b ... eral-hill/
All roads lead to New York.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Wiseguy wrote:Former mob boss Luigi Manocchio back on Federal Hill
By Tim White
May 13, 2015

(News Video Below)

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Former New England mob boss Luigi “Baby Shacks” Manocchio is back home on Federal Hill.

Edmond Ross, a spokesperson for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, said the 87-year-old is now listed as being held on home confinement. Ross would not say exactly where Manocchio is located, he said it is “wherever he established his home.”

Rhode Island State Police Colonel Steven O’Donnell said Manocchio is returning to his apartment on Atwells Avenue where he has lived for more than a decade.

On Tuesday Ross said Manocchio had been transferred to a halfway house in an undisclosed location, but that he would be eligible to be held on home confinement at some point.

In confirming Manocchio was now in home confinement Ross said it was likely the former inmate was fitted with an electronic monitoring device at the residential reentry center – or halfway house – before being sent home.

“This is not unusual because if there is no benefit to the individual to be at a reentry center they will send them to home confinement,” Ross said. “In this case he is an elderly gentleman so it is likely he is not seeking employment, which is one of the programs at the reentry center.”

O’Donnell said after Manocchio “retired” from being mob boss, the balance of power shifted to Boston. He said the crime family Manocchio is coming home to is splintered.

“The entire La Cosa Nostra nationally – traditional organized crime as we refer to it – is broken, is a shell of what it used to be,” O’Donnell said “But it’s like a snake it reinvents itself so you have to pay attention to it.”

“Hopefully he just continues on to do the right thing, sees the errors in his ways and stays away from that business if he can do that,” said O’Donnell.

“He is accountable all the time,” Ross said. “He is still under supervision and electronic monitoring and is still under supervision under responsibility of the [halfway house].”

Ross said they make daily phone calls and will make unannounced visits, he declined to say what halfway house is handling Manocchio’s case.

Manocchio pleaded guilty in 2012 to charges he and others shook down strip clubs for protection money as part of a sweeping crackdown into organized crime. He was sentenced to 5 1/2 years in prison.

He will remain on electronic monitoring until his sentence expires. Manocchio will then be on supervised release for three years.

I read this the other day, thanks for posting Wiseguy! Anybody have any predictions? Baby Shacks is one of my favorite mob bosses in history and something tells me that although he will be under supervision until he is about 92 years old, he will certainly touch base with guys like Matty Gugliemetti and Anthony Parillo. Can anybody confirm Peter Limone's health/mental status as of now? I think Scott Burnstein put an article out about Limone having a "declining" mental condition. Has anybody heard anything, any local Boston guys who may be able to shed some light? Where is IRA when you need him!!!!! JoeSchmo, any updates on Peter Limone?

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
123JoeSchmo
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by 123JoeSchmo »

I couldn't tell you much JCB. I'm a white anglo saxon Protestant to the 12th degree and have nothing in common with that life haha.

The most I know is from articles and what others have told me. I've heard Limone is a fully active boss to semi retired, to completely out of the game. I know Scott Burnstein does a lot of articles but it's anyone's guess to who's in charge right now. It's plausible he's got some mental health issues, but also possible he's the head honcho. After all who's really left that would take the job?
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

JCB1977 wrote:
By Tim White
May 13, 2015

(News Video Below)

I read this the other day, thanks for posting Wiseguy! Anybody have any predictions? Baby Shacks is one of my favorite mob bosses in history and something tells me that although he will be under supervision until he is about 92 years old, he will certainly touch base with guys like Matty Gugliemetti and Anthony Parillo. Can anybody confirm Peter Limone's health/mental status as of now? I think Scott Burnstein put an article out about Limone having a "declining" mental condition. Has anybody heard anything, any local Boston guys who may be able to shed some light? Where is IRA when you need him!!!!! JoeSchmo, any updates on Peter Limone?
You have favorite mob bosses? Who are the others
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Pete wrote:
JCB1977 wrote:
By Tim White
May 13, 2015

(News Video Below)

I like the smaller family bosses. Guys like John LaRocca, John Scalish, Russell Bufalino, Jimmy Lanza & Angelo Marino among others.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Allie Boy
Straightened out

Post by Allie Boy »

JCB1977 wrote:
By Tim White
May 13, 2015

(News Video Below)

I think Peter Limone has dimentia or something, but who knows. It could be bullshit.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Pete wrote:
JCB1977 wrote:
By Tim White
May 13, 2015

(News Video Below)

From the larger families, I enjoyed reading about Tony Salerno, Funzi Tieri, Tony Accardo, Nick Civella, Meyer Lansky, Frank Nitti, Maggadino and Tony Ducks. I love the Bonanno story, but his kid Bill ruins it every fucking time. Listening to him makes me cringe. But talk about Mafia Royalty going back to Castellamarre, Sicily. I don't believe a word that comes out of Bill's mouth. But I loved the book Honor thy Father by Guy Talese. The old man arranged that marriage to Rosalie Profaci for the spoiled brat that Bill was. I also love the Carmine Galante story and have just purchased some books on Rizzuto in Montreal. I want to learn more about LCN over there...but time is going to be an issue for the next 6-12 months for me. The Gotti/Gravano/Big Paul story is just to redundant and told in a few different ways. Same with Chin, Scarfo, Gaspipe, Giancana, Gambino and Murder Inc. I also appreciate the few books I read on NJ, the first called Made Men and the other called The Boys from New Jersey. They've been getting decimated as of late from the few news articles I've read.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

So according to Scott seems like pecking order Is:

Boss - limone
Ub- Carmen d
Consigliere - ferara

Any1 know who the captains are ?? Or even the most powerful soldiers ?
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

I thought Ferrara was more or less out of the game and only being 'consulted' occasionally, at least I thought I read that.