The Departed Question

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Mason_dixon
Straightened out

The Departed Question

Post by Mason_dixon »

So in the Departed Jack Nicholson plays a mob boss of Boston that is reminiscent of Whitey Bulger in present day. And of course like Bulger he runs an Irish crew or family. However Scorsese names this character Frank Costello after the infamous Italian Mob boss from New York City. This is obviously an Italian surname and in the movie the Costello character even talks shit about the Italian mafia and Providence faction and calls them Guineas which I’m pretty sure is somewhat offensive to Italian Americans... the naming of this character and the fact that he is an Irish mob boss have always confused the hell out of me... does anyone have some insight ?
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Re: The Departed Question

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

The Costello surname is of Irish descent. Just because it ends in a vowel doesn’t make it Italian.

Frank Costello from the Genovese family his real name was Castiglia.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
mr white
Straightened out

Post by mr white »

Costello is also an Irish surname.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Probably better putting this question on the TV & Movies forum
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Mason_dixon
Straightened out

Post by Mason_dixon »

Alright thank you.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

I think he named him Costello to be sneaky. It gives image of him being Italian, which a lot of movie goers want. I think the Irish version is Costeloe, with the e added.
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

Costello is definitely an Irish name, shit there are several Irish bars named Costellos in Boston alone.

Frank Costello of the Genovese allegedly used that surname cause of his connections with the Westies and it probably helped somewhat with his political connections, especially on paper.
Breadman
Straightened out

Post by Breadman »

in Italian it's Cost-ello

Irish pronounce it Cos-tello
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Departed is a re make of the Chinese Triad movies called, Infernal Affairs.

It was not written by Scorsese at all.

And Costello changed his name bc he thought it'd be easier having a Irish last name.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 am Departed is a re make of the Chinese Triad movies called, Infernal Affairs.

And Costello changed his name bc he thought it'd be easier having a Irish last name.
Absolutely but Scorsese has adapted a bit of the scenario so that Nicholson looks like Bulger. In Internal Affairs the character of Eric Tsang does not collaborate at all in secret with the cops for example.
crazyjoegallo
Straightened out

Post by crazyjoegallo »

Even Spillane sound like an italian name.
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

Breadman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:52 am in Italian it's Cost-ello

Irish pronounce it Cos-tello
In Boston they pronounce it Caw-stello :lol:
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 am Departed is a re make of the Chinese Triad movies called, Infernal Affairs.

Did Scorsese come up with the name or did the writer? Bulger is not a common Irish name as far as I know, I think they should have made it obvious, this is not the first, and won't be the last time it's asked by people who saw the film.
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

Bugler would be French-English. Or more specifically a descendant of the Norman invasion in 1066 when many french names entered into English society.

So Bulger would be English, tracing back to France. And would’ve been pronounced Bul-jay.
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Ozgoz wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm Bugler would be French-English. Or more specifically a descendant of the Norman invasion in 1066 when many french names entered into English society.

So Bulger would be English, tracing back to France. And would’ve been pronounced Bul-jay.
I am French and personally I think that Bulger is not a name that sounds French. You could give it "Bul-jay" if it was written "Bulgé" or Bulget" .It sounds more Belgian, but then I can go wrong. For me it sounds quite English/Irish