Son of mob boss Vincent Gigante enters surprise guilty plea

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

stubbs
Straightened out

Re: Son of mob boss Vincent Gigante enters surprise guilty plea

Post by stubbs »

Philly d wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 pm
jmack wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 am
DPG wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:49 pm Was he working on this deal all this time? There is no telling how much money this guy has. I mean they take $3mil from him and he can still afford to pay what $25k a month for the guards? How does the IRS not own him right now?
In gangland this week Capeci says this deal does not stop him from being charged with tax evasion. That Could be an interesting wrinkle.
He is paying $3.8 fine and forfeiting $3m plus legal costs...so this is gonna cost him $8mm. Ooh madone!

Wonder if he took a new loan out on the townhouse. Pretty crazy there is a wiseguy who grew up in a $15m+ townhouse in the UES. I mean how tough can he be?
It’s pretty wild, but I guess it’s not about where he grew up or where he lives, it’s about the army behind him.. everyone loyal to his father. So, maybe not street tough himself, but it probably doesnt matter.
Sam22
Honorary Member

Post by Sam22 »

Anyone think maybe the powers that be said take the plea or else ? If what we have heard was true, that he was planning to go to trial ,what makes more sense than that?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

newera_212 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 pmcurious about the members list. was it an actual member list and/or induction list? something to keep tabs on their member numbers and stuff like that? or was it just an address book containing names and numbers of members (among other people)? i know they essentially ransacked his house so im guessing they took address books, etc... it would be crazy if he had a typed masterlist of every living member though. i think dom cirillo was caught with a little list himself at one point.

you got inductions every year and 150-200 guys to remember and keep track of. gotta keep that info somewhere i guess. next time they should integrate it into the cloud :mrgreen:
From Esposito's detention memo:

Second, the FBI also found two lists of made members of the Genovese Family hidden in Esposito’s residence. One of those lists consists of certain made members of the Family based in New Jersey who died within the last 20 years, while another list contains certain living members of the Family, all in one crew, and also based in New Jersey. As discussed above, whether or not LCN families can make new members has traditionally been based, in part, on the number of active and deceased members, and is reserved for individuals at the captain level or higher. The maintenance of such lists tracking living and dead members in a particular area are indicative of an individual responsible for making assessments about the induction of individuals into the Family, and thus having a high rank in the Family.
stubbs wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:09 am
DPG wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:49 pm Was he working on this deal all this time? There is no telling how much money this guy has. I mean they take $3mil from him and he can still afford to pay what $25k a month for the guards? How does the IRS not own him right now?
In gangland this week Capeci says this deal does not stop him from being charged with tax evasion. That Could be an interesting wrinkle.
He is paying $3.8 fine and forfeiting $3m plus legal costs...so this is gonna cost him $8mm. Ooh madone!

Wonder if he took a new loan out on the townhouse. Pretty crazy there is a wiseguy who grew up in a $15m+ townhouse in the UES. I mean how tough can he be?
It’s pretty wild, but I guess it’s not about where he grew up or where he lives, it’s about the army behind him.. everyone loyal to his father. So, maybe not street tough himself, but it probably doesnt matter.
Esposito has been involved in the rackets for 25+ years. Chin put him in the garbage business while putting Andrew on the waterfront.
All roads lead to New York.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Sam22 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:34 am Anyone think maybe the powers that be said take the plea or else ? If what we have heard was true, that he was planning to go to trial ,what makes more sense than that?
The westside has been known to be very against goin to trial. It gets the family too much attention and prosecutors might reveal some sensitive shit during the trial. Genovese acting capo Lawrence Ricci was clipped for apparently refusing an order to plead guilty in a racketeering case. So it’s pretty possible the higher ups forced him to plead guilty.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

I should also point out another scam they were pulling (this one since 1986) was using union funds to buy non-existent materials from shell companies as a ways embezzle money.

Fyfe reportedly owns several real estate properties with Genovese soldier John Fazio. Some may remember the Fazios were busted back in 2011 for scamming $2.4 million through their control of the UFCWU Local 348-S in Brooklyn.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

From the detention memo it would appear that Esposito held the rank of capo of a Jersey crew or maybe even a higher rank.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Frank wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am From the detention memo it would appear that Esposito held the rank of capo of a Jersey crew or maybe even a higher rank.
I haven't had the chance to read it, what does it say? Is it just the same "high ranking member" thing? Or does it mention Captain? Sounds like it can't be the latter since you're not sure if he's Captain or higher.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Anyone know when Esposito was made?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

slimshady_007 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:49 am Anyone know when Esposito was made?
Early to Mid 90s, don't think anyone knows for sure.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Camo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 am
Frank wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am From the detention memo it would appear that Esposito held the rank of capo of a Jersey crew or maybe even a higher rank.
I haven't had the chance to read it, what does it say? Is it just the same "high ranking member" thing? Or does it mention Captain? Sounds like it can't be the latter since you're not sure if he's Captain or higher.
First, the evidence shows that Esposito is in control of Genovese Family slush funds. Organized crime families of La Cosa Nostra have long maintained slush funds to serve a variety of purposes for the family, including paying for the legal fees of incarcerated members and funding extortionate loans through loansharking. Historically, only individuals in positions of authority have been tasked with maintaining control over such funds. Here, wiretap intercepts of Esposito’s cellphone captured him discussing the collection and disbursement of funds with other members of the Genovese Family. For example, on October 17, 2015, Esposito had a call with another individual about providing funds for the legal representation of the former consigliere of the Genovese Family, who was incarcerated. Esposito’s role as one of the individuals who holds the purse strings for Genovese Family funds is further confirmed by the fact that the FBI seized approximately $3.8 million in U.S. currency from Esposito’s residence. Given the illicit nature of the funds held and managed by Esposito for the Genovese the Genovese Family, it is unsurprising that he lied to Pretrial Services about his assets, and reported only a few hundred thousand dollars in various bank accounts.

Second, the FBI also found two lists of made members of the Genovese Family hidden in Esposito’s residence. One of those lists consists of certain made members of the Family based in New Jersey who died within the last 20 years, while another list contains certain living members of the Family, all in one crew, and also based in New Jersey. As discussed above, whether or not LCN families can make new members has traditionally been based, in part, on the number of active and deceased members, and is reserved for individuals at the captain level or higher. The maintenance of such lists tracking living and dead members in a particular area are indicative of an individual responsible for making assessments about the induction of individuals into the Family, and thus having a high rank in the Family.

In sum, the offense conduct shows that the defendant is a high-ranking and influential member of the Genovese Family who is willing to use threats of violence to further the enterprise, who has the ability to follow through on those threats, and who maintains a network of criminal associates willing to make threats on his behalf. The defendant would thus pose a clear danger to the community if he were bailed.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 pm
UTC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:53 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:43 pm
UTC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:25 pm People have mocked this as a small time racket--but not if you have 15 locals doing it. Diversification
Part of the article reads Esposito confessed to making millions of dollars with fellow Genovese associates in the old-school Mafia scheme that operated between 2001-17.

The annual 10-12k annual payments were apparently just one way money was coming out of the union. According to the indictment, there was also a little over $1 million in kickbacks.

What's strange about the whole thing is Fyfe. He's a relative who obviously has his $300,000 a year union job because of his connections. Yet he's balking at paying the 10-12k a year? They, including Fyfe, were all involved in the scams together so why is Esposito even having to "extort" Fyfe?
Yes, it doesn't make sense, unless they were no longer totally in league as time went on.
Which, in turn, makes you wonder if Fyfe thought he wouldn't really be hurt because of the family connection. He certainly flipped pretty easily when the feds started looking into the union.
Astute point.
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

I hear ya. I just would have a tough time following orders from him.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Camo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 am
I think LE also is not sure if he is a capo or higher too. But you are right the did say high ranking member.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Philly d wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 pm

I hear ya. I just would have a tough time following orders from him.
:roll:
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

UTC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 pm
UTC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:53 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:43 pm
UTC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:25 pm People have mocked this as a small time racket--but not if you have 15 locals doing it. Diversification
Part of the article reads Esposito confessed to making millions of dollars with fellow Genovese associates in the old-school Mafia scheme that operated between 2001-17.

The annual 10-12k annual payments were apparently just one way money was coming out of the union. According to the indictment, there was also a little over $1 million in kickbacks.

What's strange about the whole thing is Fyfe. He's a relative who obviously has his $300,000 a year union job because of his connections. Yet he's balking at paying the 10-12k a year? They, including Fyfe, were all involved in the scams together so why is Esposito even having to "extort" Fyfe?
Yes, it doesn't make sense, unless they were no longer totally in league as time went on.
Which, in turn, makes you wonder if Fyfe thought he wouldn't really be hurt because of the family connection. He certainly flipped pretty easily when the feds started looking into the union.
Astute point.
Probably scared of doing any time. If I was making 300 k a year I would have no problem giving 12 k of it
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"