General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Lupara »

Btw, about the so called ban for the Bonannos from '79 to '84 as some here state... Joe Pistone says that he was proposed for membership by Napolitano, which was approved by the admin, and set to be made in december 1981. This was anounced to him shortly after the three capos murders.

If the books were closed for the Bonannos at that time, why did Napolitano say this? Obviously he wasn't bullshitting to Pistone and he had been given approval by the admin, who apparantly weren't aware of it either. Is Pistone making this up or weren't some in the Bonannos not aware of their restrictions? And since when was the Commission in a position to dictate policy for another family?
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Lupara wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:44 pm Btw, about the so called ban for the Bonannos from '79 to '84 as some here state... Joe Pistone says that he was proposed for membership by Napolitano, which was approved by the admin, and set to be made in december 1981. This was anounced to him shortly after the three capos murders.

If the books were closed for the Bonannos at that time, why did Napolitano say this? Obviously he wasn't bullshitting to Pistone and he had been given approval by the admin, who apparantly weren't aware of it either. Is Pistone making this up or weren't some in the Bonannos not aware of their restrictions? And since when was the Commission in a position to dictate policy for another family?
The Bonannos didn´t make any new members in 1980/1981 because the books, for the Bonannos (probably a decision made by the Bonannos themselves), were closed. It wasn´t a ban. But in 1981 the Bonannos had several proposed members they wanted to make. But when it was revealed that Brasco was an FBI agent, the making ceremonies were postponed. They feared that they had other proposed members secretly working for the FBI. If it was a ban imposed on them by the Commission or not I don´t know. It wasn´t until 1984 that the Bonannos made new recruits.
There you have it, never printed before.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Lupara »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
Lupara wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:44 pm Btw, about the so called ban for the Bonannos from '79 to '84 as some here state... Joe Pistone says that he was proposed for membership by Napolitano, which was approved by the admin, and set to be made in december 1981. This was anounced to him shortly after the three capos murders.

The Bonannos didn´t make any new members in 1980/1981 because the books, for the Bonannos (probably a decision made by the Bonannos themselves), were closed. It wasn´t a ban. But in 1981 the Bonannos had several proposed members they wanted to make. But when it was revealed that Brasco was an FBI agent, the making ceremonies were postponed. They feared that they had other proposed members secretly working for the FBI. If it was a ban imposed on them by the Commission or not I don´t know. It wasn´t until 1984 that the Bonannos made new recruits.
So the Bonannos were either allowed to induct new members again or decided themselves to do in late '81 but after the Pistone affair this restriction was extended until '84?

slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Just an opinion question, but who would u guys say is the most respected wiseguy on the streets right now?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

slimshady_007 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:50 pm Just an opinion question, but who would u guys say is the most respected wiseguy on the streets right now?
If we're talking respect, as opposed to power, it would have to be Sonny Franzese, no? According to Kenny Gallo, wiseguys would talk about him like Republicans talk about Reagan.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Lupara »

gohnjotti wrote:
slimshady_007 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:50 pm Just an opinion question, but who would u guys say is the most respected wiseguy on the streets right now?
If we're talking respect, as opposed to power, it would have to be Sonny Franzese, no? According to Kenny Gallo, wiseguys would talk about him like Republicans talk about Reagan.
I don't think Sonny is on the streets anymore though.

But without a doubt he would be the most respected. If you say to a judge you do the whole 50, and then actually do the whole 50 and live to become the oldest wiseguy on the planet, you do deserve some respect, criminal or no criminal. For a mobster, this guy was the real deal.

slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

gohnjotti wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:54 pm
Interesting pick. Sonny is def very well respected and the reagan comparison is spot on. However, I doubt sonny is still active. I’d say the most respected active wiseguy is prob either barney or mannino.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Idk... him w his son(s) xould have a small bearing on some guys.

wasnt he official ub last we knew??
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

how did the profaci fam go from being looked at as the sicilian/ conservative side of the commission to what they are now
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Pistone lied. No way he was even coming close to getting made. They may have told them that to impress him, but then if they did it would have backfired. Jack Garcia also said he was going to get made, again another liar.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:29 pm how did the profaci fam go from being looked at as the sicilian/ conservative side of the commission to what they are now
One could argue that they still are pretty conservative given that their making ceremonies are still conducted by the acting boss, underboss, and consigliere, with a gun. The Bonannos just make members do a verbal oath, and the boss isn't usually even there.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Does anyone know where I can get an english translation of Nicola Gentile's book? I always see it referenced but can't seem to find a translation
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

I don't think an English translation exists, or, at least, one that's any good
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I'm pretty sure its quoted in Critchley's book, but you're right it's probably not a good translation or even an official one. What a shame
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:57 pm Does anyone know where I can get an english translation of Nicola Gentile's book? I always see it referenced but can't seem to find a translation
That is a great question, imagine how popular a seller that book would be if they put it out in English.