Facts about Frank Cali (pre-murder)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Facts about Frank Cali (pre-murder)

Post by B. »

Because it's pretty useless to try and talk about anything else right now except Frank Cali, and because the discussion of his murder is filled with wild speculation and posts on here as well as news articles have mistakes about Cali's personal and mafia background, I thought I'd start a thread to discuss facts about Frank Cali while he was alive. Let's leave all discussion and speculation of his murder to the 65+ page thread.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about him, but let's start with some basics.

- Born and raised in Brooklyn to parents from Palermo. Thanks to the 2014 Informer article on NYC mafia history, we know that the Calis are from a neighborhood in Palermo with strong historic connections to the early Lupo/D'Aquila/Mangano/Gambino family's leadership. Father has not been identified as a mafia member/associate but said to have mingled / associated with Sicilian mafia figures. Father ran Arcobaleno, an Italian CD/video/etc. import store in Brooklyn.

- Cali was not a "zip", but closely associated with the Sicilian element active on 18th avenue from an early age. Upon the arrests and incarceration of leading figures in and around the John Gambino decina and the demotion of John Gambino in the 1980s and early 1990s, Cali and others with the Gambino decina became associated with the Jack D'Amico decina, itself a crew with strong historic ties to the early Palermitani mafia element. While with this crew, Cali was groomed for membership and later leadership within the Gambino family.

- Cali emerges as a top leader of the family in the 2010s. While there has been conflicting information on his exact role, it is universally agreed that he was part of the administration by the middle of the decade and a figure of great influence.

Let's fill in some blanks.
Last edited by B. on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: Facts about Frank Cali (pre-murder)

Post by CabriniGreen »

You can go ahead, starting with the mistakes you mentioned...
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 pm You can go ahead, starting with the mistakes you mentioned...
I believe in constructive discussions, not pointing out flaws and letting those overtake the discussion. But one example is the article claiming his brother-in-law was the same Pietro Inzerillo who was murdered, which is not true.

Would be helpful in this thread if someone could give a basic overview of Cali's exact marital relationship to the various Inzerillos. No doubt Felice could do it if he sees this.
Last edited by B. on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Another fact, mentioned by Felice I believe:

- Former Bonanno acting boss, capodecina, and "zip" faction leader Sal Catalano returned to his hometown of Ciminna following his release from a 1980s prison sentence and attended the funeral of Cali's mother several years ago, herself a native of the village. Other mafia members from Ciminna operating in the US were Catalano's cousins Salvatore "Sacha" and Onofrio Catalano, two brothers. Sacha Catalano was identified as a Sicilian mafia member associated with the Gambino family before his 1980s murder. To my knowledge Cali's mother has not been identified as being from a Ciminna mafia bloodline, though maybe there is a connection we're unaware of.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Owner of Circus Fruits supermarket in Brooklyn and Bontel USA wine import Co. Also said to have owned substantial real estate in Dominican Republic. Reportedly increased the family's involvement in trafficking in heroin and prescription drugs.
All roads lead to New York.
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

Cali's wife is the sister of Pietro Inzerillo, current gambino soldier.
Their father, Salvatore, died in 1987 in NJ due a car crash, he was a Sicilian mafia member.
Salvatore had two brother Francesco, recently died, and Tommaso (still alive and free) and a sister who is married to Joe Gambino.
Their mother is Silvana Gambino, sister of Vittoria, wife of John Gambino.

Salvatore's father was Pietro (sicilian mafia soldier later official Gambino soldier) who died in 2007 (something like that, or 2003, now I don't remember). Pietro's brothers are Salvatore (Gambino family member) Antonino (Gambino family captain killed in 1981), Francesco and Giuseppe who was the father of 5 guys including Salvatore the sicilian mafia superboss killed in 1981. Two other sons were killed during the mafia war, two others are alive and free in Palermo. One of them, Rosario, has 3 sons living in New York.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

felice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:37 pm Cali's wife is the sister of Pietro Inzerillo, current gambino soldier.
Their father, Salvatore, died in 1987 in NJ due a car crash, he was a Sicilian mafia member.
Salvatore had two brother Francesco, recently died, and Tommaso (still alive and free) and a sister who is married to Joe Gambino.
Their mother is Silvana Gambino, sister of Vittoria, wife of John Gambino.

Salvatore's father was Pietro (sicilian mafia soldier later official Gambino soldier) who died in 2007 (something like that, or 2003, now I don't remember). Pietro's brothers are Salvatore (Gambino family member) Antonino (Gambino family captain killed in 1981), Francesco and Giuseppe who was the father of 5 guys including Salvatore the sicilian mafia superboss killed in 1981. Two other sons were killed during the mafia war, two others are alive and free in Palermo. One of them, Rosario, has 3 sons living in New York.
Yeah it was 2007 heres a blurb from some Gambino events the feds oberseved cali
the wake of Pietro Inzerillo,
the father-in-law of Gambino family soldier Giuseppe “Joseph” Gambino and grandfather of
Gambino family soldier Pietro “Tall Pete” Inzerillo in April 2007
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
santos
Straightened out

Post by santos »

How did frank rise all the way to the top? was he a big earner? If so what kind of business? or did he rise through hits? (doubt it)
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

JD has Cali as acting captain for John Gambino in 2000, it's in his write up on Primo Cassarino.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

He is also listed as "acting captain" in a few other federal documents of the time. I'll see if I can dig them up.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Cali also traveled internationally with Franco Lupoi, who had connections with the 'Ndrangheta. Lupoi was reported to have set up international narcotics trafficking between Italy and the U.S. Highly doubtful that Cali accompanied him for an innocent vacation.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Snakes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm He is also listed as "acting captain" in a few other federal documents of the time. I'll see if I can dig them up.
We have an indictments thread in the "FBI Files" section of the site. The indictment incluluding Nicky Corozzo in 2008 is there and lists him as an Acting Capo.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

I recall felice mentioning Cali had operations in Florida and had an associate working for him in Florida. I think a photo of this person was posted at one point.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Snakes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm Cali also traveled internationally with Franco Lupoi, who had connections with the 'Ndrangheta. Lupoi was reported to have set up international narcotics trafficking between Italy and the U.S. Highly doubtful that Cali accompanied him for an innocent vacation.
Was Lupoi from Italy or was he from the nyc area?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

Snakes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm Cali also traveled internationally with Franco Lupoi, who had connections with the 'Ndrangheta. Lupoi was reported to have set up international narcotics trafficking between Italy and the U.S. Highly doubtful that Cali accompanied him for an innocent vacation.
Sicilians also visited him in US. From period 2003-2006 ,in 2003 he met with Nicolà Mandalà and Gianni Nicchi, Gianni Nicchi was later ordered to kill Lo Picolo and his son by Rotolo,he even prepared acid barrels,because Lo Picolo's wanted Inzerillos back. Nicchi also said Rotolo :"He's our friend and he is everything over there," he was talking about Cali.