Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Lupara »

Uncle Pete wrote:I understand Gene has restrictions since his release but Gene is a gangster and if (a big if) he did organize this hit, it could be as simple as he doesn't give a fuck and cares more about his legacy than he does about getting arrested in two years and dying in the can. He's a stone cold gangster and street guy, not necessarily a guy who will make a cost/benefit analysis plan.

Yes, the guy did 30 years. But as I've stated in another thread, he wasn't stuck in an elevator for 30 years. He was in federal prison and as a result he has 30 years of networking with mob guys, connected guys, and wanna be's in the joint. He has to have a ton of support now that he is back on the street.

Also, to those that are saying why would he do this when he saw what happened to his brother John? Think about another angle to this question. His brother John became a fucking legend! Everyone knows who John Gotti is and his reputation on the street /jails and shit even in the hood/rap community, is as good as gold. It does not get any better. It's not illogical to think that that Gene cares more about his legacy as a tough guy and taking back what he thinks belongs to him than he gives a fuck about dying in the can. Price of doing business for his reputation and legacy
Good point. Someone said something similar earlier.

It's futile to apply our own logic on theirs.
jmack
Straightened out

Post by jmack »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:55 am
Niagarafalls wrote:The car pulling away was Gene watching the hit go down like his brother did! Haha
Don't they mean the car pulling away was the hitman himself?
I don’t think so Lupara. They have been referring to that as a truck and they said they don’t know if this car was involved or not. Obviously the pickup truck was involved since the shooter used it.
John W
Straightened out

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by John W »

From all the details that have been released about the hit it seems almost flawless, the only issue I can see is that if the shooter wasn’t wearing gloves then he could have left prints or DNA on the licence plate which he handed to Cali, also if the shooter gets pinched soon he would probably be covered in gun shot residue, also if they don’t have a suspect then I don’t think they have much from the CCTV.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Niagarafalls wrote:The car pulling away was Gene watching the hit go down like his brother did! Haha

The hitter drove away in the pickup truck. There was another car seen driving away from the area which may or may not be related to the murder.

stubbs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 am [quote=Camo post_id=103716 time=<a href="tel:1552674620">1552674620</a> user_id=398]
Isn't Sciandra Connecticut or am i mixing him up?
You might be thinking of Megale, who died in 2015. He was rumored to be acting UB for a bit.
[/quote]

Sciamdra took over the Tommy Gambino Crew who oversaw most of the Connecticut guys. Don't know if that is still the case.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Cheech wrote:No way its Gene. International drug shit IMO. No more bodies drop. The car is a paper clip now and the guy that did it is long gone or dead himself.
I doubt the killer is dead himself. He did a courageous job for the ones profiting from this and it seems he did everything according to plan. What message would this sent to other people (and potential future hitters) if they killed the guy who did this daring job for them? It shows they can't be trusted and who wants to join a group that backstabs their own people? If anything, the killer is taken care off and enjoying his well earned money. Even Riina didn't kill his own hitmen after they did their jobs.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

What’s wild is the hitman had to crash into Cali’s SUV hard enough that it “rocked significantly” according to the police. Obviously hard enough to be loud enough Cali would hear it from the inside and walk outside.

So, the hitman had to create this loud accident and had to rely not only on Cali walking outside alone and (presumably) unarmed, but that there wouldn’t be any witnesses along the street. I mean, does it still go down if there’s neighbors outside? What if Cali and his wife and/or kid come outside at the same time with him?

Also, a loud accident like that in a quiet neighborhood and some neighbors would be likely to hear it too. The whole thing happened in about a minute according to the police, so it’s entirely possible a neighbor saw the shooting. You’re sitting at home, hear a loud accident, so you look outside the window to see what the hell happened. And within a minute one guy starts firing shots at the other guy. And if that’s true, I doubt the police would mention that this early in a mob investigation because it’d put the witnesses life at risk considering it’s a mob shooting.

Then the hitman wouldn’t be covering their face so Cali would walk outside and talk to them, without thinking anything suspicious. Which increases the chances of it going wrong or of getting caught because of someone seeing the killer’s face.
Niagarafalls
Straightened out

Post by Niagarafalls »

I thought the new info that came out was that a car pulled away right after the shooting, possibly with a backup shooter or a blocker. The shooter drove a truck I believe.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

stubbs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 pm What’s wild is the hitman had to crash into Cali’s SUV hard enough that it “rocked significantly” according to the police. Obviously hard enough to be loud enough Cali would hear it from the inside and walk outside.

So, the hitman had to create this loud accident and had to rely not only on Cali walking outside alone and (presumably) unarmed, but that there wouldn’t be any witnesses along the street. I mean, does it still go down if there’s neighbors outside? What if Cali and his wife and/or kid come outside at the same time with him?

Also, a loud accident like that in a quiet neighborhood and some neighbors would be likely to hear it too. The whole thing happened in about a minute according to the police, so it’s entirely possible a neighbor saw the shooting. You’re sitting at home, hear a loud accident, so you look outside the window to see what the hell happened. And within a minute one guy starts firing shots at the other guy. And if that’s true, I doubt the police would mention that this early in a mob investigation because it’d put the witnesses life at risk considering it’s a mob shooting.

Then the hitman wouldn’t be covering their face so Cali would walk outside and talk to them, without thinking anything suspicious. Which increases the chances of it going wrong or of getting caught because of someone seeing the killer’s face.
One neighbor described the street as a "dead street". People don't know each other, don't care what others do. It happened after dark. They probably took a gamble that Cali will tell his wife to wait inside until he sees what's going on. Probably one of the reasons why the killer stalled for a minute.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Cheech wrote:No way its Gene. International drug shit IMO. No more bodies drop. The car is a paper clip now and the guy that did it is long gone or dead himself.
I doubt the killer is dead himself. He did a courageous job for the ones profiting from this and it seems he did everything according to plan. What message would this sent to other people (and potential future hitters) if they killed the guy who did this daring job for them? It shows they can't be trusted and who wants to join a group that backstabs their own people? If anything, the killer is taken care off and enjoying his well earned money. Even Riina didn't kill his own hitmen after they did their jobs.
There's allegedly (the police seem to be dismissing it but there's all sorts of claims and there's at least one case where the chief suspect in a shooting died of an overdose the next day) a current trend in Glasgow of gangsters forcing junkies that owe them money to carry out hits or attacks for them then feeding them overdoses of valium. If true that's all kinds of fucked up but also kind of brilliant, and so Glaswegian :lol: I don't believe the hitman was killed or it was any sort of situation like that it just reminded me of that.

Also didn't Reina kill all of his hitmen pretty much? Not right away but he definitely did and if anything that seemed to inspire more fear.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

stubbs wrote:What’s wild is the hitman had to crash into Cali’s SUV hard enough that it “rocked significantly” according to the police. Obviously hard enough to be loud enough Cali would hear it from the inside and walk outside.

Not to mention the car alarm which would go off and alert the whole neighborhood. Car alarms can go off when a cat walks past the car. They must've known he didn't have an alarm. Then again, a mob boss would be the last person who needs a car alarm, haha.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

stubbs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 pmSo, the hitman had to create this loud accident and had to rely not only on Cali walking outside alone and (presumably) unarmed,
This part is really weird because apparently the guy was wearing a hoodie and hat and no alarm bells rung. This suggests Frank felt comfortable in his current position to me, there was no recent events that he thought could lead to problems or he likely wouldn't have even left the house armed or not, which is why i'd rule out that drug shipment personally. Or maybe he was just stupid, certainly wouldn't be the only one in that life.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Everything you read about Cali suggests that he wasn't stupid and was very cautious. Made guy since 1997 had some big investigations into him and he only ever had one conviction. It's either he knew the guy which seems unlikely now or he simply never saw anything like that coming. Perhaps he was cautious at first but the guy didn't pose a threat so he just assumed it was a genuine accident and felt safe enough to turn his back.
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

I think the hat and hoodie is a very common look these days especially for younger people (which the shooter apparently was). Add the pickup truck Cali probably thought he was just another construction worker. As u said the fact that he thought nothing of the fender bender and went out unarmed probably means he had no sense of any potential problems with his standing. Was Cali ever connected to the Mexican cartels?
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

JohnnyS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm Everything you read about Cali suggests that he wasn't stupid and was very cautious. Made guy since 1997 had some big investigations into him and he only ever had one conviction. It's either he knew the guy which seems unlikely now or he simply never saw anything like that coming. Perhaps he was cautious at first but the guy didn't pose a threat so he just assumed it was a genuine accident and felt safe enough to turn his back.
Yeah, i said the same thing earlier actually while disputing that he knew the killer. It was late at night and no one including him would've seen something like this happening in 2019 so it's not that surprising that it happened the way it did. It still sounds like a shady situation but that's with hindsight and we don't actually know what it looked like. I'm not from America nevermind New York so for all i know it was freezing or whatever there at that time and him being dressed that way was to be expected.
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

what about the funeral?