Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

baldo
Straightened out

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by baldo »

Camo, yes I remember reading that guy was actually some Italian singer. Wish I could find the thread on here where someone said he was on the outs because of his relationship with his wife.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm
Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 pm
st2gats wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm Who usually does the work? Someone close to you that you know and feel comfortable with. Frank never would have turned his back on this guy unless it was someone he felt safe with or knew somehow. This was planned and has all the markings of a well executed hit. Young guy making his bones? Maybe. Someone gave the order. This was clearly sanctioned and if not the fallout will be known shortly.
Weird all these random accounts popping up with no posts but this thread but...

A guy he knew randomly backed into his Cadillac and they had a chat about it? lol
Yeah it doesn't sound like he knew him. Not sure why people think they know Cali or know how he'd react to this situation. Plenty of these guys are dumb and he doesn't even have to be dumb for this to have happened, could've just let his guard down because it was late at night and it looked like a genuine accident.
We need to know if the unconfirmed reports of Cali getting a phone call or text are true. It was suggested early on he was expecting somebody but why the guy would smash into his SUV I don't know.

He was a street guy all his life. To turn your back on a random guy wearing a hoodie and a baseball cap is real stupid of him if so.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:12 pm
st2gats wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm Who usually does the work? Someone close to you that you know and feel comfortable with. Frank never would have turned his back on this guy unless it was someone he felt safe with or knew somehow. This was planned and has all the markings of a well executed hit. Young guy making his bones? Maybe. Someone gave the order. This was clearly sanctioned and if not the fallout will be known shortly.

A guy he knew randomly backed into his Cadillac and they had a chat about it? lol
Yeah it doesn't sound like he knew him. Not sure why people think they know Cali or know how he'd react to this situation. Plenty of these guys are dumb and he doesn't even have to be dumb for this to have happened, could've just let his guard down because it was late at night and it looked like a genuine accident.
We need to know if the unconfirmed reports of Cali getting a phone call or text are true. It was suggested early on he was expecting somebody but why the guy would smash into his SUV I don't know.

He was a street guy all his life. To turn your back on a random guy wearing a hoodie and a baseball cap is real stupid of him if so.
The smashing into the SUV suggests to me that was either false or unrelated. We already know him being run over was misreported so that could've been too. Who knows though.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm Personally, I don't buy the major drug trafficking angle. I just find it hard to believe the lowkey Gambino admin would still be involved in that. They were known drug traffickers and LE were looking at Cali for it for years and nothing came of it. Makes sense that they stayed away from it. Of course just my opinion though.
Didn't Mannino's name come out in the Canadian drug indictment of Semplice. Mannino was identified as a capo. This wasn't that long ago. I'm sure Cali kept himself well insulated.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 pm

The smashing into the SUV suggests to me that was either false or unrelated. We already know him being run over was misreported so that could've been too. Who knows though.
Yes that could very well be the case but it was brought up and not ruled out by the NYPD in the press conference.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Frank wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm Personally, I don't buy the major drug trafficking angle. I just find it hard to believe the lowkey Gambino admin would still be involved in that. They were known drug traffickers and LE were looking at Cali for it for years and nothing came of it. Makes sense that they stayed away from it. Of course just my opinion though.
Didn't Mannino's name come out in the Canadian drug indictment of Semplice. Mannino was identified as a capo. This wasn't that long ago. I'm sure Cali kept himself well insulated.
His name did come up but if I remember right it was a possible loansharking business that Semplice had with Mannino. Not sure he was brought up in relation to actual drug trafficking.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

It’s not false that the truck crashed into calis escalade. The police have the footage and say specifically the truck backed into it with enough force to rock the vehicle. That’s straight from the press conference so that happened. Whether or not that was a planned ruse is another question
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Pete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm

It’s not false that the truck crashed into calis escalade. The police have the footage and say specifically the truck backed into it with enough force to rock the vehicle. That’s straight from the press conference so that happened. Whether or not that was a planned ruse is another question
That's not what i was saying, just worded that awkwardly. I was saying the fact his SUV was crashed into tells me that the call/text saying to meet someone is likely false or unrelated because why would the person he was supposed to be meeting anyway crash into his SUV? Makes no sense.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Also from the NYPD “It appears with what we know at this point in time that that was part of the plan,” Shea said. “His car is involved in an accident with an individual who winds up shooting him.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna983496
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm
Pete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm

That's not what i was saying, just worded that awkwardly. I was saying the fact his SUV was crashed into tells me that the call/text saying to meet someone is likely false or unrelated because why would the person he was supposed to be meeting anyway crash into his SUV? Makes no sense.
Oh I got you I misunderstood then
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Pete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm Also from the NYPD “It appears with what we know at this point in time that that was part of the plan,” Shea said. “His car is involved in an accident with an individual who winds up shooting him.”

This is the first article I've seen where he's described as the underboss, which may mean that Dom Cefalu is still boss. It also may confirm that, if even offered, he turned down the top spot in 2015, if I remember correctly.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm
His name did come up but if I remember right it was a possible loansharking business that Semplice had with Mannino. Not sure he was brought up in relation to actual drug trafficking.
Yes I just re-read it he was charged with loansharking not drugs your right.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Pete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm Also from the NYPD “It appears with what we know at this point in time that that was part of the plan,” Shea said. “His car is involved in an accident with an individual who winds up shooting him.”

Wow NBC got two LE sources saying Cali was underboss and he was listed as such in court filings.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 pm

This is the first article I've seen where he's described as the underboss, which may mean that Dom Cefalu is still boss. It also may confirm that, if even offered, he turned down the top spot in 2015, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, it says two senior law enforcement officers told NBC News so it sounds like that's still the most recent understanding at least.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:41 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Yeah, it says two senior law enforcement officers told NBC News so it sounds like that's still the most recent understanding at least.
It makes it even more interesting if he was underboss, why take out the underboss and not the boss? I read somewhere that the UB is actually a safer position, since if you killed him the boss would surly kill him. Either Cefalu, if he's still the boss, is really weak or he ordered it. I could be wrong, but that's what it's starting to look like.