Carmine Persico, dead at age 85

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bert
Full Patched

Re: Carmine Persico, dead at age 85

Post by bert »

I looked him up, found this:

"In 1998, Michael Lloyd, a convicted bank robber who was a government informer, testified that Mr. Persico had told him while they were together in prison that he had authorized “contracts” to kill two F.B.I. agents as well as Mr. Giuliani and Mr. Marcu, blaming them for his prison terms. Mr. Lloyd’s statement was made at a parole hearing in which prosecutors confirmed that he had been an undercover informer in the late 1980s and early ’90s.

Federal law-enforcement officials said they had decided not to bring murder conspiracy charges against Mr. Persico because he was already serving a life term; they had also wanted to protect Mr. Lloyd from exposure while Mr. Persico unwittingly provided him with valuable information about the Colombo family, the officials said"

Sorry, but I just can't see him saying that to a random person he met in jail, plus not getting indicted for it. Plus wanting to also have 2 FBI agents killed. I think Lloyd got a gift deal.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

bert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm I looked him up, found this:

"In 1998, Michael Lloyd, a convicted bank robber who was a government informer, testified that Mr. Persico had told him while they were together in prison that he had authorized “contracts” to kill two F.B.I. agents as well as Mr. Giuliani and Mr. Marcu, blaming them for his prison terms. Mr. Lloyd’s statement was made at a parole hearing in which prosecutors confirmed that he had been an undercover informer in the late 1980s and early ’90s.

Federal law-enforcement officials said they had decided not to bring murder conspiracy charges against Mr. Persico because he was already serving a life term; they had also wanted to protect Mr. Lloyd from exposure while Mr. Persico unwittingly provided him with valuable information about the Colombo family, the officials said"

Sorry, but I just can't see him saying that to a random person he met in jail, plus not getting indicted for it. Plus wanting to also have 2 FBI agents killed. I think Lloyd got a gift deal.
It's really strange for him to say such a thing to an unknown prisoner, it reminded me when Carlos Marcello told a bank robber in jail that the order to kill John F. Kennedy was given by him.
willychichi
Full Patched

Post by willychichi »

Carmine ‘The Snake’ Persico’s death marks the end of an era

Carmine Persico had nothing to lose. In 1986, the notorious Colombo crime-family boss had just been convicted on racketeering charges and, with a second federal trial looming, was facing spending the rest of his life behind bars. So he hired the toughest guy he knew to represent him in court: Carmine Persico.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2019/03/08/carmine-t ... of-an-era/
Obama's a pimp he coulda never outfought Trump, but I didn't know it till this day that it was Putin all along.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

What do you guys think the wake/ funeral will look like?

Required attendance by all New Yorkers? Or will they avoid any potential prying eyes?
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

gohnjotti wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 pm
SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:51 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm It is the end of an era, since he was the last of the bosses arrested in the case of the commission to die, now it is enough to know
if it will be the end of the era "Persico".
Will control of the Colombo's stay with Persico blood relatives-such as Teddy, Jr. on the street
and Allie boy ruling like his dad did from prison? Will a non-Persico member make a play for boss.
Or, are there still too many active and loyal Persico relatives in positions of power to keep Little Allie boy boss?
Too many active and loyal Persico supporters, in my humble opinion. As the years go by, a higher and higher portion of the family’s activity seems to be concentrated in the South Brooklyn region where the Persicos have historically reigned supreme. In particular, the most active group of members appear to be the successors of the Scarpa crew. Jerry Ciauri and his cohorts, Danny Capaldo, Larry Sessa, etc. And these people were able to keep an ear on the streets despite their long sentences behind bars. Capaldo, Sessa, and Tommy McLaughlin were still loaning money to younger associates like Pooch Destefano after over ten years into their 1995 prison sentence. Teddy Persico Jr., similarly, retained immeasurable respect and power on the streets even after being behind bars for 20 years, with neighborhood guys like Eddie Garofalo keeping things in check, and making millions on rackets of their own.
And in an era where Italians looking to join organised crime seems to be dwindling, the South Brooklyn guys seem to have a huge pool of young associates involved in gambling, loansharking, etc. These guys aren’t brain surgeons by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re new blood nevertheless. And the Persicos still have direct relatives in high level positions on the street. In-law Tom Farese is a powerful Florida capo. Cousin Billy Russo is a powerful capo who was pegged as a possible successor. Angelo Spata controlled the lucrative Figli Di Santa Rosalia rackets. Andre D’Apice, Carmine L. Persico, Eddie Garofalo. The list goes on, and undoubtedly includes guys we don’t know about yet.

And I haven’t even talked about the Franzese guys in Long Island.

And where does the Orena faction fit into this? Well obviously, Joey Amato is one of the family’s most powerful guys right now - Capeci named in the family’s “boss of Staten Island” and he appears to have taken over many of Billy Cutolos old crew members. With his crew involved in union interests, pills, coke, loansharking, gambling, protection, he’s definitely a powerful (and incredibly low-key) guy. But is this alone enough to take on whoever the Persicos peg as the next boss? Probably not, and it’s unlikely Joey Amato wants any of South Brooklyn’s mostly blue-collar rackets.

Obviously a lot of this post is me piecing what little info on the Colombo’s we have to attempt to paint a fill picture. I’m filling in a whole lot of blanks here and I am probably quite far off the mark of what’s really happening. But that’s my take on the situation, do with it what you may.
thanks for the great info gohnjotti! please give an update on this crew. thanks, SP
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

aleksandrored wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:29 am
bert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm I looked him up, found this:

It's really strange for him to say such a thing to an unknown prisoner, it reminded me when Carlos Marcello told a bank robber in jail that the order to kill John F. Kennedy was given by him.
Jailhouse snitches are often notorious for lying. One said that Sonny Franzese told him that he killed 60 people and covered his fingerprints with nail polish. Marcello and the others would never implicate themselves even to certain friends, they are not going to give info like that to practical strangers.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

bert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 pm I have not heard of Michael Llyod, so I don't know how much to trust what he said. It could be true , but a hit on a prosecutor does not sound like something even Persico would do. Just my opinion, thanks for answering.
But ordering a hit on a prosecutor wouldn't be exactly out of character for Persico, considering he already tried to have one whacked (William Aronwald, when the hitmen botched the job by killing the prosecutor's father).
bert wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 am Jailhouse snitches are often notorious for lying. One said that Sonny Franzese told him that he killed 60 people and covered his fingerprints with nail polish.
I thought it was a taped conversation, not just the snitch's words?
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 am
bert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 pm I have not heard of Michael Llyod, so I don't know how much to trust what he said. It could be true , but a hit on a prosecutor does not sound like something even Persico would do. Just my opinion, thanks for answering.
But ordering a hit on a prosecutor wouldn't be exactly out of character for Persico, considering he already tried to have one whacked (William Aronwald, when the hitmen botched the job by killing the prosecutor's father).
bert wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 am Jailhouse snitches are often notorious for lying. One said that Sonny Franzese told him that he killed 60 people and covered his fingerprints with nail polish.
No, there is no tape of it, they used only the informants word for it in all those instances.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

bert wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:39 pm
Dwalin2014 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 am
No, there is no tape of it, they used only the informants word for it in all those instances.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jerry-ca ... 70557.html

Capeci says here that the prosecutors wanted to release the tapes so the jurors can hear it, while the defense tried to block it since the alleged murders happened so long ago.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:44 am What do you guys think the wake/ funeral will look like?

Required attendance by all New Yorkers? Or will they avoid any potential prying eyes?
Wouldn't be surprised if there was a big turnout. Amuso demanded attendance for his wife's funeral a few years ago a lot of people showed up
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

If anybody is going to want people to show up at his funeral, it's Carmine. Surely. And, since half the wiseguys in Brooklyn are related to him anyways, you wouldn't want to be the one neighborhood guy that doesn't show up. I don't know though, maybe the Colombos are a bit smarter than that nowadays.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
BobbyPazzo
Straightened out

Post by BobbyPazzo »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:17 pm
DPG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm Look at how long it took us to find out 'officially' that Barney was the boss after Chin died? I'm not very up to date when it comes to recent successions, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is: How long after Chins death did it take us to get any type of info regarding leadership?

Do you think we get info on this succession more quickly because the Colombos aren't 'The Ivy League' ?
I think its actually an unrelated point. People expect an understanding of the family hierarchy, now that there has been a change, as if that information should be available. We find out the new make-up, when we find out. Irregardless of Carmine and his passing.
No disrespect to anyone but exactly. I’m reading this line, “do you think we’ll find out because...” yea they’re gonna put the info out there because they aren’t the Ivey league. Fuck it, were a glorified crew so let’s throw our structure out there for the boards to update the charts. I’ll tell ya ... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Most of you wouldn't be comfortable in my playground.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Yeah, that's why I said maybe pay attention to the wake and funeral?

But at the same time, it doesnt seem smart right now, to show up en masse, a bunch of wiseguys in the same spot, so I dunno.....
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

BobbyPazzo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:41 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:17 pm
DPG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm Look at how long it took us to find out 'officially' that Barney was the boss after Chin died? I'm not very up to date when it comes to recent successions, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is: How long after Chins death did it take us to get any type of info regarding leadership?

Do you think we get info on this succession more quickly because the Colombos aren't 'The Ivy League' ?
I think its actually an unrelated point. People expect an understanding of the family hierarchy, now that there has been a change, as if that information should be available. We find out the new make-up, when we find out. Irregardless of Carmine and his passing.
No disrespect to anyone but exactly. I’m reading this line, “do you think we’ll find out because...” yea they’re gonna put the info out there because they aren’t the Ivey league. Fuck it, were a glorified crew so let’s throw our structure out there for the boards to update the charts. I’ll tell ya ... 🤦🏻‍♂️
It's not exactly an asinine statement. Genovese always keep you guessing where as the other families one way or another it comes out. I don't think he is saying the Colombos are going to send out a press release or something lol
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Doobeez
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Doobeez »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:22 am Yeah, that's why I said maybe pay attention to the wake and funeral?

But at the same time, it doesnt seem smart right now, to show up en masse, a bunch of wiseguys in the same spot, so I dunno.....
Newsflash: Mob funerals are historically well attended, and with Junior Persico being the guest of honor the place will be filled to the rafters man.