Carmine Persico, dead at age 85

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

richard_belding
Straightened out

Re: Carmine Persico, dead at age 85

Post by richard_belding »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:10 am Salvatore Persico doesn't appear to have been a brother of Carmine. Scarpa mistakenly identified him as a brother. Reports from another informant describe him simply as a relative of Alphonse Persico (Carmine's brother) and census records show no indication that he was a brother. Kenji Gallo also mentioned that Frank Persico (Salvatore's son) was not a nephew of Carmine but related some other way. From what I have found, Salvatore was a cousin of the three Persico brothers. Salvatore was a former cop, likely why he wasn't made, and involved in union activities.
Salvatore has also been listed as present at the Neopolitan Noodle shooting. A 1973 Daily News article listed him as a Persico cousin and former cop, carrying a gun which he was licensed to carry.
Jbravo
Straightened out

Post by Jbravo »

R.I.P. Carmine
Jbravo
Straightened out

Post by Jbravo »

Vinny lang passed away years back
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Certainly the end of an era.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Look at how long it took us to find out 'officially' that Barney was the boss after Chin died? I'm not very up to date when it comes to recent successions, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is: How long after Chins death did it take us to get any type of info regarding leadership?

Do you think we get info on this succession more quickly because the Colombos aren't 'The Ivy League' ?
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

DPG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm Look at how long it took us to find out 'officially' that Barney was the boss after Chin died? I'm not very up to date when it comes to recent successions, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is: How long after Chins death did it take us to get any type of info regarding leadership?

Do you think we get info on this succession more quickly because the Colombos aren't 'The Ivy League' ?
Chin died in December 2005. Capeci came out with his article about Leo being the acting boss at the time in November 2006.
All roads lead to New York.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

DPG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm Look at how long it took us to find out 'officially' that Barney was the boss after Chin died? I'm not very up to date when it comes to recent successions, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is: How long after Chins death did it take us to get any type of info regarding leadership?

I think its actually an unrelated point. People expect an understanding of the family hierarchy, now that there has been a change, as if that information should be available. We find out the new make-up, when we find out. Irregardless of Carmine and his passing.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Im predicting that teddy persico jr is the family’s new boss, and the family prob has an acting boss or a panel set up to run shit for teddy until he gets out of prison.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

(1) We'll wait till Thursday to see what Capeci says. My guess is nothing more than the fact he died and his "illustrious career."

(2) as of succession to the useless title of Boss...

My thoughts are all over the map. Teddy Jr. is in prison along with most of the Persico's. True, Andy Russo could step up to the big chair. Another faction could say it's time for a change. But, what are they going to do, go to war?

My overall gut tells me that they could say "hey, let a Persico relative like Any Russo, Teddy, Jr., a D'Apice, etc.; be in charge. As long as we're left alone and make some money...who cares!!!
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

It is the end of an era, since he was the last of the bosses arrested in the case of the commission to die, now it is enough to know if it will be the end of the era "Persico".
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

aleksandrored wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm It is the end of an era, since he was the last of the bosses arrested in the case of the commission to die, now it is enough to know
if it will be the end of the era "Persico".
Will control of the Colombo's stay with Persico blood relatives-such as Teddy, Jr. on the street
and Allie boy ruling like his dad did from prison? Will a non-Persico member make a play for boss.
Or, are there still too many active and loyal Persico relatives in positions of power to keep Little Allie boy boss?
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Laurentian wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 am Carmine Persico, storied New York mobster and longtime Columbo family boss, dead at 85

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html
From the story:
"Persico’s reply was to put out a contract on Giuliani."

Does anyone believe that? I never did.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:51 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm It is the end of an era, since he was the last of the bosses arrested in the case of the commission to die, now it is enough to know
if it will be the end of the era "Persico".
Will control of the Colombo's stay with Persico blood relatives-such as Teddy, Jr. on the street
and Allie boy ruling like his dad did from prison? Will a non-Persico member make a play for boss.
Or, are there still too many active and loyal Persico relatives in positions of power to keep Little Allie boy boss?
Too many active and loyal Persico supporters, in my humble opinion. As the years go by, a higher and higher portion of the family’s activity seems to be concentrated in the South Brooklyn region where the Persicos have historically reigned supreme. In particular, the most active group of members appear to be the successors of the Scarpa crew. Jerry Ciauri and his cohorts, Danny Capaldo, Larry Sessa, etc. And these people were able to keep an ear on the streets despite their long sentences behind bars. Capaldo, Sessa, and Tommy McLaughlin were still loaning money to younger associates like Pooch Destefano after over ten years into their 1995 prison sentence. Teddy Persico Jr., similarly, retained immeasurable respect and power on the streets even after being behind bars for 20 years, with neighborhood guys like Eddie Garofalo keeping things in check, and making millions on rackets of their own.
And in an era where Italians looking to join organised crime seems to be dwindling, the South Brooklyn guys seem to have a huge pool of young associates involved in gambling, loansharking, etc. These guys aren’t brain surgeons by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re new blood nevertheless. And the Persicos still have direct relatives in high level positions on the street. In-law Tom Farese is a powerful Florida capo. Cousin Billy Russo is a powerful capo who was pegged as a possible successor. Angelo Spata controlled the lucrative Figli Di Santa Rosalia rackets. Andre D’Apice, Carmine L. Persico, Eddie Garofalo. The list goes on, and undoubtedly includes guys we don’t know about yet.

And I haven’t even talked about the Franzese guys in Long Island.

And where does the Orena faction fit into this? Well obviously, Joey Amato is one of the family’s most powerful guys right now - Capeci named in the family’s “boss of Staten Island” and he appears to have taken over many of Billy Cutolos old crew members. With his crew involved in union interests, pills, coke, loansharking, gambling, protection, he’s definitely a powerful (and incredibly low-key) guy. But is this alone enough to take on whoever the Persicos peg as the next boss? Probably not, and it’s unlikely Joey Amato wants any of South Brooklyn’s mostly blue-collar rackets.

Obviously a lot of this post is me piecing what little info on the Colombo’s we have to attempt to paint a fill picture. I’m filling in a whole lot of blanks here and I am probably quite far off the mark of what’s really happening. But that’s my take on the situation, do with it what you may.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
richard_belding
Straightened out

Post by richard_belding »

bert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm

From the story:

Michael Llyod was a pretty convincing informant and knowing Persico, to a degree its probably true. Lloyd's informing led to nearly 30 other convictions so its clear something was there with him.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

richard_belding wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:10 pm
bert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm

From the story:

Michael Llyod was a pretty convincing informant and knowing Persico, to a degree its probably true. Lloyd's informing led to nearly 30 other convictions so its clear something was there with him.
I have not heard of Michael Llyod, so I don't know how much to trust what he said. It could be true , but a hit on a prosecutor does not sound like something even Persico would do. Just my opinion, thanks for answering.