General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

thesicilian2309 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:06 pm Is there an explanation how the system works? I mean the Soldiers pays the Capo and the Capo then gives everything to the Boss? How much percentage they give him? Is someone out there who have any information???
Some bosses such as Chin Gigante asked very little (or nothing at all) out of their capos and soldiers.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

ChicagoOutfit wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 pm
Andyboy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:19 am Is a soldier paid for executing a contract given by the boss?
I forget where I heard this, but I believe it was a documentary/interview with someone who flipped. In the interview he explained how as an associate of the family (I believe it may have been the Gambinos?) he was "offered" the "contract" to hit someone and his sponsor told him that once the job was completed, he (the hitter) would be offered a cash reward. If this cash reward was accepted, he would remain at the associate level doing contracted hits for money, if he refused the money he would gain further access to the family and gain membership.

Now, my memory of this is extremely fuzzy, it could have been a movie even, but the case kind of holds true from everything I've read/seen/heard.
If you ever find where you saw or read that post it please.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
JesusMalverde
On Record

Post by JesusMalverde »

ChicagoOutfit wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:46 pm
thesicilian2309 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:06 pm Is there an explanation how the system works? I mean the Soldiers pays the Capo and the Capo then gives everything to the Boss? How much percentage they give him? Is someone out there who have any information???
Some bosses such as Chin Gigante asked very little (or nothing at all) out of their capos and soldiers.
while massino had a flat rate of tribute $200 every month from every made guy which he then split with vitale
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

DPG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:15 am
Andyboy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:19 am Is a soldier paid for executing a contract given by the boss?
I forget where I heard this, but I believe it was a documentary/interview with someone who flipped. In the interview he explained how as an associate of the family (I believe it may have been the Gambinos?) he was "offered" the "contract" to hit someone and his sponsor told him that once the job was completed, he (the hitter) would be offered a cash reward. If this cash reward was accepted, he would remain at the associate level doing contracted hits for money, if he refused the money he would gain further access to the family and gain membership.

Now, my memory of this is extremely fuzzy, it could have been a movie even, but the case kind of holds true from everything I've read/seen/heard.
That´s from a Mafia documentary on four witnesses (Marinucci, Caramandi, Iannucci and Dominick Lofaro). It was Lofaro who said that he, after killing a greek gangster in Queens, was offered money. But he declined the money and said something to the effect of "all the wiseguys were impressed and thought it was a good thing me not taking the money".

No individual who considers himself a man of honor will ever take money for a hit ordered by the Family. That´s Mafia. They do it as a favor for the Family to show loyalty. And if all the other requirements are fulfilled, the hitter may be closer to getting made thanks to this. Taking money for a hit is considered as a weak and bad character.
There you have it, never printed before.
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:28 am

That´s from a Mafia documentary on four witnesses (Marinucci, Caramandi, Iannucci and Dominick Lofaro). It was Lofaro who said that he, after killing a greek gangster in Queens, was offered money. But he declined the money and said something to the effect of "all the wiseguys were impressed and thought it was a good thing me not taking the money".

No individual who considers himself a man of honor will ever take money for a hit ordered by the Family. That´s Mafia. They do it as a favor for the Family to show loyalty. And if all the other requirements are fulfilled, the hitter may be closer to getting made thanks to this. Taking money for a hit is considered as a weak and bad character.
I appreciate you clarifying! Do you by chance recall the name of the documentary? Or do you have a link? Thanks again
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

Does the current Camorra in Napoli/Campania hold induction and/or promotion rituals and ceremonies for members like Cosa Nostra and 'Ndrangheta? I know The Camorra's structure is more horizontal and I'm curious if new members are inducted or do they just gradually progress further into 'The System' and are then eventually recognized as members?
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

ChicagoOutfit wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:52 am

I appreciate you clarifying! Do you by chance recall the name of the documentary? Or do you have a link? Thanks again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLXCv0xEI7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp-Bx9OuOaE
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

I never heard of insiders being offered money, but I can imagine it done as a test. Lofaro stands out in the four you mentioned because he was just a hustler and gambler who was sold to the public as a mafia associate in one of Gotti's trials. He was caught exagerating his mob ties and closeness to Gotti. I don't see him being offered to kill anyone. I never saw the documentary you mentioned, if you have it can you please put it up
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

bert wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 pm

I never heard of insiders being offered money, but I can imagine it done as a test. Lofaro stands out in the four you mentioned because he was just a hustler and gambler who was sold to the public as a mafia associate in one of Gotti's trials. He was caught exagerating his mob ties and closeness to Gotti. I don't see him being offered to kill anyone. I never saw the documentary you mentioned, if you have it can you please put it up
It''s up in a post above. And you're right. Most of all these Mafia witnesses lies and exagerates a lot. And they are allowed to by the prosecutors. Lofaro made tapes but I don't think he ever talked to Gotti. On the tapes is mostly discussions he was having with Peter Mosca, a soldier he used to drive around. In the documentary, Lofaro makes it sound like he was close to Gotti and that he was a big part of the effort to bring him down. He was not.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Lupara »

chin_gigante wrote:Anyone have any idea when Vito Rizzuto got made?
Probably around 1981.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Lupara wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 am
Probably around 1981.
It has to have been later than that because the Bonannos were not allowed to make new members until 1984 due to the Brasco situation. So sometime in the mid to late 1980s would be my guess. (No indications of him being made in the 1970s.)
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Lupara »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
Probably around 1981.
It has to have been later than that because the Bonannos were not allowed to make new members until 1984 due to the Brasco situation. So sometime in the mid to late 1980s would be my guess. (No indications of him being made in the 1970s.)
There were several months between the three capos murders and the revelation of Donnie Brasco as an FBI agent. I think Rizzuto was inducted shortly after his participation in the murders. One article stated that he was believed to have been made in 1981. I don't think he was made as late as the mid 80s when he was already considered the acting leader of the Montreal Mafia.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: General Mob Questions

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Lupara wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 am
HairyKnuckles wrote:
Probably around 1981.
There were several months between the three capos murders and the revelation of Donnie Brasco as an FBI agent. I think Rizzuto was inducted shortly after his participation in the murders. One article stated that he was believed to have been made in 1981. I don't think he was made as late as the mid 80s when he was already considered the acting leader of the Montreal Mafia.
The guys who were proposed at the time of the three capos murder were made later. I dont believe any exceptions were made for Vito Rizzuto. Besides, Sonny Black told Pistone the books were closed at the time but when the time came, he would propose him.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Don't know when he was made but the Bonanno family's books were closed from 1979-1984 by the Commission due to all the turmoil.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Don't know when he was made but the Bonanno family's books were closed from 1979-1984 by the Commission due to all the turmoil.

Pogo
We can't say for certain that this applied to Montreal too. It has been suggested here (I believe it was B. and I hope he chimes in) that in Montreal guys were being made even though in New York the books were closed. The most significant example would be Paolo Violi. He joined the Montreal group years after the books were closed and yet was the number 2 in the group by the early 70s. His participation in the vote for Rastelli as boss makes it a fact that he was made by then. However, I find it unlikely that he was already a member before the 1960s so he would've been most likely made within this period.

As for Vito, I also do not think he was already made by '78 mainly due to the turbulant period and the transition of power from Cotroni to Sciascia and Nicolo Rizzuto, which probably took a few years. But I do believe Vito was next in line to be made by the late 70s and groomed for leadership. Not for nothing he was an invitee at the Bono wedding and I believe that he was rewarded with membership after making his bones by participating in the three capos murder.

If what you guys say is true and no exceptions were allowed (not even in Montreal), perhaps he was basically recognised as a made member until it was made official in the mid 80s? Similar to John Gotti in the early 70s? I'd still find it strange that he wasn't made by the time he was acting on his father's behalf in the early 80s and I'm inclined to believe he was made earlier than '84.

Request for the mods: could this discussion be moved to the Montreal made members thread?