"Getting Pussy" -- the fall of Anthony Russo 1978-1979 (+Boiardo crew history)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: "Getting Pussy" -- the fall of Anthony Russo 1978-1979 (+Boiardo crew history)

Post by Frank »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm
B. wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:11 pm
HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:57 am I don´t mean to derail this thread any further. But if anybody wants to discuss Lombardo´s position within the Genovese Family we can do it one of the already existing threads. Please go on with this thread´s subkect here.
Thanks, man. Do you have the link to your Funzi Tieri thread? That was a great thread with solid discussion. I have some bits about pieces I've come across about Tieri I might want to add there one of these days, too.
I know that I discussed the Tieri/Lombardo issue with several posters in numerous of threads so finding them all by using the search function will be difficult, But I think this trhread was the one that started the discussion and it kinda splashed over in different threads.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=48&hilit=hate
I can't remember if you had Catena as official boss after Genovese, with Tieri becoming official boss after Catena .
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: "Getting Pussy" -- the fall of Anthony Russo 1978-1979 (+Boiardo crew history)

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Frank wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm
B. wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:11 pm
HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:57 am I don´t mean to derail this thread any further. But if anybody wants to discuss Lombardo´s position within the Genovese Family we can do it one of the already existing threads. Please go on with this thread´s subkect here.
Thanks, man. Do you have the link to your Funzi Tieri thread? That was a great thread with solid discussion. I have some bits about pieces I've come across about Tieri I might want to add there one of these days, too.
I know that I discussed the Tieri/Lombardo issue with several posters in numerous of threads so finding them all by using the search function will be difficult, But I think this trhread was the one that started the discussion and it kinda splashed over in different threads.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=48&hilit=hate
I can't remember if you had Catena as official boss after Genovese, with Tieri becoming official boss after Catena .
Yes, Catena official boss after Genovese, despite his unwillingness and hesitation to take the job. While in jail, Catena had Eboli running the Family. And after the Eboli murder, possibly a ruling panel was set up before Tieri was made the official boss. By that time, Catena was released from jail and stepped down.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Boiardo was arrested with Settimo Accardi's brother Joseph in 1939 on bootlegging charges. My guess is he was by this time an associate of the Genovese family or otherwise had made peace with local mafia groups.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I thought the redacted portion of this was referring to an associate of Nick Delmore being made around the same time as Boiardo, which might be the case, but a book about New Jersey state history by Brian A. Smith has a section on the DeCavalcante/Jersey family which has some mistakes and obviously isn't coming from a place of expertise, but it claims Delmore "became a family member in late 1943 or early 1944." I'm curious if he had an unredacted part of the same report and the redacted portion indicates Delmore was inducted during this same period.

I'd have to check my books on the DeCav tapes but I remember a recording of DeCarlo and Sam DeCavalcante discussing their inductions where they make reference to Boiardo's induction, but only that it happened before DeCarlo's induction. DeCarlo talks about how he (DeCarlo) and Sy Rega were made together in 1947 and DeCavalcante was made around the mid-late 1940s as well. It's possible the redacted portion above refers to DeCavalcante's induction given his connection to Delmore but I don't believe that's what it's referring to.

It's entirely possible to me that Delmore was made "late", especially when you consider how late Boiardo and to a lesser extent Catena were made in their criminal careers. The only reason it might be a surprise is because of Delmore's Sicilian heritage and apparent relation to Francesco DeCavalcante.

If the report does indicate that Nick Delmore was inducted at the same ceremony as Boiardo, that opens up interesting possibilities. Delmore was suspected by the FBI of being a Genovese captain before they were able to clearly identify the separate Elizabeth family and Delmore was said to have associated close with Vito Genovese, which would make sense as JD shared info that the DeCavalcantes were originally represented by the Genovese before the Gambinos. If he was made in a ceremony with Genovese members I don't know what to think unless he transferred.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Great article B, I found very informative, the information of Capone and Genovese have been associated with Camorra is fantastic, besides I liked reading the story of Anthony Russo and Richie Boiardo.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thomas Tato was the man said to be Al Capone's cousin who tried to settle the Boiardo / Zwillman conflict. Tato was later murdered, with Boiardo a suspect.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Unrelated to the Russo / Boiardo topic, but here is Tommy Eboli referring to a group of guys being "made", but he means promoted to capodecina, which is clarified later in the report. So in addition to Russo, it seems others used this same language to talk about promotions. There is also a DeCav tape transcript where they talk about Joe Colombo being "made" but they're clearly referring to when he became boss. Just posting this, re: Andy Gerardo being "made" in the 1970s. He very well could have been inducted in the 1970s and not in the 1950s as was reported by a source, but without further context the comment could have been about his promotion, too.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

wow. thank you for this amazing thread. Great stuff B. Really good stuff

As interesting as the whole Genovese are to me, especially the timeframe from Vito's arrest up until present day basically, I still havent read enough about NJ and know nothing about this crew. I knew somewhat of the Godfather influence, and knew his kid was a peice of shit, but besides that, did not know much about Boiardo

my biggest takeaway was his willingness to speak openly to the feds. its astonishing. maybe it was a part of his image: the retired, stately and ambivalent old racketeer - but it almost seems like he had no belief in the Cosa Nostra ethos at all. rackets, money, his name and reputation..,yes...but it seems like he didnt take LCN seriously at all.

i get that after the Valachi situation, guys were shaken up and scrambling to still hold onto secrecy. but the way Boiardo was talking was almost like he didnt consider himself a member at all and didnt take the whole LCN thing serious. which is funny because the next successors to the Boiardo era produced some of the most by-the-rules true believers LCN has ever seen

am i grasping at that? just an image? or does anyone else get the idea that he made himself seem above it all?

also are there any relatives of him still alive? i want to know what happened to his money. the guy must have been incredibly wealthy