Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 am - If these other Micelis were from Burgio too and connected to Calumet City, Phil Bacino is an easy connection.
Another potential clue is that there was a married couple in Chicago, Antonino Miceli and Josephine Bacino, both from Burgio. I know that you've stated that Phil Bacino seemed to be familiar with Bacinos (Bacini?) from other comuni in Agrigento. Either way, it's ~16km from Burgio to Ribera.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Makes me wonder if there was a crew in Williamson County, or even a Family. Maybe it was the precursor to Rockford and/or Springfield.

Italians flocked to Herrin and other cities in Williamson County due to mining, which attracted immigrants and low-skilled workers. It briefly had its own Italian language newspaper. Many Italians left after the Klan War of 1924-26: "During the so-called Klan War, a mob of perhaps 1,300 men were deputized by the local sheriff. Starting on 1 February 1924, the posse began raiding the homes of local mine workers, mostly Italian immigrants. The Klan was inspired by both nativist and Prohibitionist fervor. Violence continued sporadically between bootleggers and the Klan. Twenty people were killed before peace was restored."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamso ... is#History
https://thesouthern.com/herrins-italian ... a797b.html
https://www.loc.gov/item/sn92054676/
https://www.jstor.org/stable/40188857
https://books.google.com.cu/books?id=s320QL2TlxAC
https://www.jstor.org/stable/27740148
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:47 pm Makes me wonder if there was a crew in Williamson County, or even a Family. Maybe it was the precursor to Rockford and/or Springfield.

Italians flocked to Herrin and other cities in Williamson County due to mining, which attracted immigrants and low-skilled workers. It briefly had its own Italian language newspaper. Many Italians left after the Klan War of 1924-26: "During the so-called Klan War, a mob of perhaps 1,300 men were deputized by the local sheriff. Starting on 1 February 1924, the posse began raiding the homes of local mine workers, mostly Italian immigrants. The Klan was inspired by both nativist and Prohibitionist fervor. Violence continued sporadically between bootleggers and the Klan. Twenty people were killed before peace was restored."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamso ... is#History
https://thesouthern.com/herrins-italian ... a797b.html
https://www.loc.gov/item/sn92054676/
https://www.jstor.org/stable/40188857
https://books.google.com.cu/books?id=s320QL2TlxAC
https://www.jstor.org/stable/27740148
Thanks for the further info, makes a lot of sense. Like Alabama, far downstate IL was apparently not a hospitable environment for Italians to form a long-lasting community. I think the area was a prime area for an initial colony family or a decina of St Louis or Chicago to have formed. Whether the community there really lasted long enough for a family to form is one question. Possible that there were guys made into Sicilian families who then transferred to Chicago, STL, Rockford (Springfield?) without actually forming their own family there. This is a good question to explore further.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm
cavita wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:54 am
B. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 am Tony -- Johnson City had an Agrigento colony with possible mafia ties. Bonanno captain Angelo Salvo was born there before he moved back to the family hometown Alessandria della Rocca which neighbors Burgio, believed to be made there then moved to NJ where he was close to the DeCavalcantes.

- STL boss Pasquale Miceli was living in Chicago from at least 1920-1927 as they had kids born there during that span. Pasquale was already in his late 30s so likely made given the era and how he quickly rose to boss in STL.

- I think we can easily place Pasquale Miceli in the Chicago mafia Agrigento faction with Mike Merlo and the Riberesi as Burgio is next to Sambuca and Ribera. Powerful group given it produced two Chicago bosses, a Chicago captain, the STL boss, and a DeCavalcante captain. That's not including the Phil Bacino rumor.

- If these other Micelis were from Burgio too and connected to Calumet City, Phil Bacino is an easy connection. Years ago I wrote down that STL boss Pasquale was a coal miner living in Johnson City circa WWI but I checked and the one I thought was him has a DOB of 1895 which is about ten years younger. From Burgio like him, though, so could be a cousin.

I know the Micelis were in STL by 1940 but not sure when he left Chicago, only that he was still there in 1927. Be interesting if he fled after 1928 when Lolordo was killed and some of the Riberesi moved to NYC and Elizabeth.
This may be a good time to bring this up as it fits the area and I can't find any further info on most of these men. By October 23, 1918 Rockford LCN boss Tony Musso was in Johnson City, Illinois as evidence by the birth of his son August and on July 31,1919 he was arrested in St. Louis, Missouri on a charge of burglary and carrying a concealed weapon. He was also in the company of Joe Provenzano, 24, Jim Curezo, 26, Joe Busan, 23, all of Marion, Illinois and by 1919 Musso was listed as being from Lexington, Illinois. A fifth man, Joe “Banana Joe” Berti, recognized by police, escaped in a hail of police gunfire. The men had stolen an auto belonging to Adolph Clodius. Found in the car were a mask made of blue cloth, a cap, 50 rounds of cartridges, two loaded automatic pistols and four revolvers. Now, besides Musso I know nothing of the other men or what happened to them. I'm sure some of their names are erroneously spelled. That area of Illinois seemed to be a hotbed of Italian criminals perhaps because many settled there due to the coal mining business. Anyone have any info on the other men mentioned?
This is great info. Very interesting to start fleshing out the trajectories linking Chicago, Rockford, STL, and the Bonnanos to the backcountry of far downstate IL via this Agrigentese network. Williamson County and adjacent areas would seem to have been a relatively overlooked area for early mafia activity, with guys transferring or joining metropolitan families in the region later on. I wonder if they had an actual colony family there at some point (which I'd think is possibly a good bet), or if these guys just formally belonged to the Burgio family, etc., until they joined Chicago, Rockford, STL.

The Joe Provenzano that was busted with Musso should be Giuseppe Provenzano, born 1893 in Burgio. His WW1 draft registration had him living in Whiteash -- just outside of Marion and where John Miceli of Cal City was born -- with his parents, where he worked for the West Virginia Coal Co. He arrived in the US 1912 in NYC bound for Kankakee, IL, just south of Chicago, where he stated that his cousin Leonardo Ambrogio lived. At this time, his father Antonino Provenzano was still living in Burgio. Not sure exactly when, but Giuseppe relocated to Chicago, where his 1926 naturalization document had him living at 1118 N Townsend in Little Sicily, with his wife Grazia. Giuseppe died in Chicago in 1947. His parents were listed on his death record as Antonino Provenzano and Ninfa Bacino (!), and his wife Grazia DiPisa.

EDIT: Worth noting that there was another Giuseppe Provenzano involved with the mafia in Chicago. This was the Joe Provenzano killed in 1932 in Elmwood Park as part of a series of killings involving Sicilian mobsters (Fat Tony Giuffrida, John Pantaleo). This I believe was the Giuseppe Provenzano who was also born in Burgio but in February of 1894 and had a Chicago-born wife named Marie; the Giuseppe Provenzano who lived in Williamson County and died in Chicago 1947 was born in November 1893 and was married to a Grazia born in Italy. The Giuseppe murdered in 1932 I believe lived at 832 Cambridge in Little Sicily (per his 1928 naturalization). I believe these two Giuseppe Provenzanos were cousins, given the same given name. In fact, the Giuseppe born 1894 arrived on the same ship from Sicily as the one born 1893 (arrived in NYC 1912/08/15). Both were bound for their cousin Leonardo Ambrogio in Kankakee. While one listed Antonino Provenzano as their father, the other listed a Luca Provenzano in Burgio. The death record for the Joe Provenzano murdered 1932/12/01 stated that his father was "Louis" Provenzano.

EDIT EDIT:
Seems like the Giuseppe Provenzano who once lived in Williamson County had to lam it to Sicily/NYC in the 1930s. The passenger manifest for a 1936 trip from Palermo to NYC has a Grazia DiPisa (states born in Vicari) traveling with her young children Ninfa, about 3 yo, and Luciano, an infant, Provenzano. Her contact in Sicily was her mother-in-law Ninfa Bacino of Burgio, while she was headed to her husband Giuseppe Provenzano residing at 1117 8th St in Brooklyn (Park Slope). Ninfa Provenzano was born August 1932 in Chicago to Joseph Provenzano and Grazia DePisa, but that was before her father's apparent cousin, the other Joe Provenzano, was whacked in December 1932. Son Luciano Provenzano's birth record from the US consular service for children born abroad to American fathers states that he was born in Burgio 1935 to Giuseppe Provenzano and Grazia Di Pisa. In 1940, the Provenzano/DiPisa family were residing in STL. Not sure at what point between then and 1947 they returned to Chicago.
I named John Pantaleo as one of the murders that occurred in 1932 around Joe Provenzano's murder. That was an error. It was actually John Liberto (born 1907 in Chicago to Caccamesi parents) that was killed at a separate location on the same day that Provenzano was killed. The cops speculated that Liberto was one of the men who killed Provenzano and that Liberto was then hit back in retaliation. The police reconstruction of the events surrounding Provenzano's murder drew on the account of John Pantaleo, who was present at the murder scene along with his son Sam Pantaleo. The Tribune stated that Sam was 24 at the time. Based on his age, I'm pretty sure that he was the Sam Pantaleo born 1908 in Chicago to Giacomo Pantaleo and Maria Bacino. Giacomo Pantaleo I believe was John Pantaleo. This is supported by his 1940 Chicago death record that has his name as John Jacob Pantaleo and further stated that he was born 1879 in Burgio. Maria Bacino died 1929 in Chicago and her death record states that she was also born in Burgio. Going back to Kankakee (where both Joe Bacinos arrived in 1912), there were other Bacinos from Burgio there. Given that Kankakee is close to the Chicago Heights territory (not sure, but I'd assume that the Heights crew had active guys operating in Kankakee County?), it would make sense that Phil Bacino would wind up with that crew, given that there seems to have been a number of Agrigentesi in the general area.

If the police were correct that John Liberto was one of the guys involved in the Provenzano hit, it's very interesting to note that he was Caccamese while Joe Provenzano was apparently operating a hops factory/brewery with his Burgio compaesani. There are other accounts, however, that claimed that Provenzano, Liberto, the Pantaleos, and Fat Tony Jerfita were all working together. Jerfita was killed in October 1932 and initially, police stated that they believe his murder was connected to his work as a bookmaker in the Elmwood Park area. A few weeks later, the police stated that they believe his killing was instead a war between alcohol distributors, and after the Provenzano and Liberto killings, they tied all of them together and theorized that they were perpetrated by either the "Capone gang" or the Touhy gang as part of a conflict over the brewery, as the brewery had been previously owned by Jerfita. From what I have, Fat Tony Jerfita was born Antonino Giuffrida 1901 in Caccamo to Nicola Giuffrida and Maria Pusateri and arrived in Chicago with his family in 1914. So we have either these Caccamesi and Burgitani working together and all killed by another party, or these guys were actually two rival factions and what occurred was a tit-for-tat battle. The Tribune didn't tie these 1932 killings to an earlier incident where James Jerfita was shot and badly injured at the same brewery in 1930. This was Tony's older brother Vincenzo Giuffrida, born 1899 in Caccamo. The Jerfitas lived on Erie in the Grand Ave Patch, as did John Liberto.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:59 pm Another mysterious old-timer was Giuseppe Priola, who I believe was the great-uncle of Ross Prio (been a while since I looked up the record). He died in 1967 at the age of 100 and was a long-time Mafioso. I think he arrived in 1903, so after the Nicolosis and others.
I have Giuseppe's parents as Gaetano Priola and Carmella Novetta; his wife was Maria Ventimiglia. Records for his birth year vary around ~1870, but his gravesite states 1867. On his 1910 census record, Priola states that he arrived 1898, but I haven't been able to confirm that. In 1903, a Giuseppe Priola, born about 1870 in Ficarazzi, arrived in NYC bound for Chicago, where a brother-in-law Agostino LNI lived. In 1906, Maria Ventimiglia arrived in NYC bound for Chicago, where her husband Giuseppe Priola lived. Alongside her were her three children - Gaetano, Carmella, and Gustavo - her mother Crocifessa Somaria, and Giuseppe's nephew Gaetano Priola. All were born in Ficarazzi.

In 1907, Filippo Priola was born in Chicago to Giuseppe and Maria. This should be the Phil Priola from the Rockford Outfit, though in 1940 he was still living in Chicago (later records who a Phil Priola with the same birthday living in Rockford, who I think also went by the alias Phillip J Price and died in 1987). In 1913, they had a son named Anthony, who would then be the Tony Priola mentioned by Augie Maniaci and thus potentially also a Chicago member.

Rosario Fabricini aka Ross Prio, was born 1900 in Ciminna. He arrived in Chicago 1909 with his adopted mother Giovanna Ingraffia, born in Ciminna to Giuseppe Ingraffia and Caterina Priolo of Ciminna, and his adopted siblings, children of Giovanna and her husband Filippo Priola, also of Ciminna. Giovanna listed her brother Salvatore Ingraffia as residing in Chicago. Giovanni died in Chicago in 1937 and I can find no reference to a Filippo Priola connected to her or her children in Chicago (besides records listing him as their father), leading me to suspect that Filippo died in Sicily.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 pm Frank Leo Demonte was born 1927 in Chicago to Anthony DeMonte, born in New Orleans, and Margaret DiVarco, born in Chicago. Anthony DeMonte's parents were Francesco De Monte and Maria Diadora Macaluso, both from Palermo province. Maria's family seems to have been from Campofelice di Roccella (also worth noting that her mother was a Nuccio). Margaret DiVarco was the daughter of Andrea Di Varco, brother of Vincenzo DiVarco, thus she was Joey Caesar's 1st cousin. Margaret's mother was Rosa Cutaia, who was also from Campofelice.
Frank Demonte's father I believe was the "Tony Mack" identified by Maniaci as a member of the Northside crew who attended Phil Priola's 1964 wedding in Rockford. Maniaci had initially erroneously identified him as "Tony Maccalucci", but then was later shown a photo of Anthony DeMonte and confirmed that he was "Tony Mack". As Tony DeMonte's mother was a Macaluso, DeMonte used Tony Macaluso as an alias, hence Maniaci misremembering it as "Maccalucci".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 pm This was not the same Pasquale Miceli who was STL rappresentante ~1940 - ~1950?
No, you're right -- I got turned around and shouldn't have second-guessed my earlier info -- I originally had the right Pasquale Miceli living in Johnson City as a coal miner, same guy who was the St. Louis boss.

So he went Johnson City -> Chicago - > St. Louis. Wonder if Mike Merlo's rise attracted him to Chicago like I suspect for the NYC Ribera guys. He was there before Merlo became boss but Merlo was on the rise.
PolackTony wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 pm
B. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 am - If these other Micelis were from Burgio too and connected to Calumet City, Phil Bacino is an easy connection.
Another potential clue is that there was a married couple in Chicago, Antonino Miceli and Josephine Bacino, both from Burgio. I know that you've stated that Phil Bacino seemed to be familiar with Bacinos (Bacini?) from other comuni in Agrigento. Either way, it's ~16km from Burgio to Ribera.
One of the Chicago Bacinos who associated with the mafia was from Burgio and admitted being a distant cousin to Phil. There was also a Bacino with the Pueblo Family who I think came from nearby Lucca Sicula. The Bacino name is more common in Burgio / Lucca than Ribera from what I can tell and I remember thinking the Ribera Bacinos may have originally come from there.

--

Seems the Johnson City are a definitely had something going on. I'm a big believer in there being more colony-style Families with as few as ten members, as you all know, though the location could easily place them with St. Louis or Springfield too. The Birmingham Family leadership for example looks to have lived two hours away (by our measurement today) from Birmingham in a remote farming community, so just as there were small colony Families spread out, we also have members/leaders belonging to Families hours away. Agrigentini seem especially prone to remote or autonomous membership in a larger Family.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:57 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 pm This was not the same Pasquale Miceli who was STL rappresentante ~1940 - ~1950?
No, you're right -- I got turned around and shouldn't have second-guessed my earlier info -- I originally had the right Pasquale Miceli living in Johnson City as a coal miner, same guy who was the St. Louis boss.

So he went Johnson City -> Chicago - > St. Louis. Wonder if Mike Merlo's rise attracted him to Chicago like I suspect for the NYC Ribera guys. He was there before Merlo became boss but Merlo was on the rise.
PolackTony wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 pm
One of the Chicago Bacinos who associated with the mafia was from Burgio and admitted being a distant cousin to Phil. There was also a Bacino with the Pueblo Family who I think came from nearby Lucca Sicula. The Bacino name is more common in Burgio / Lucca than Ribera from what I can tell and I remember thinking the Ribera Bacinos may have originally come from there.

--

Seems the Johnson City are a definitely had something going on. I'm a big believer in there being more colony-style Families with as few as ten members, as you all know, though the location could easily place them with St. Louis or Springfield too. The Birmingham Family leadership for example looks to have lived two hours away (by our measurement today) from Birmingham in a remote farming community, so just as there were small colony Families spread out, we also have members/leaders belonging to Families hours away. Agrigentini seem especially prone to remote or autonomous membership in a larger Family.
Agreed on Williamson County. Seems that there was almost certainly a mafia presence there, but the question remains whether they ever formed their own family or were just a hinterland decina of one of the established families in the region. Even for a remote outpost, Chicago is a long haul. Springfield is of course a possibility, but I think that Cavita's info about Joe Provenzano et al being involved with Pasquale Miceli in STL is an important signal.

Regarding Merlo, one has to also ask what brought him to Chicago and what network he rose within. There were plenty of Agrigentesi there, of course, but then on top of that if these guys from downstate were also relocating there, perhaps this drove an Agrigentesi bloc rising to power in Chicago. A remaining question I have, given that the two Joe Provenzanos initially went to Kankakee, was if there was an early Agrigentese network there affiliated with Chicago Heights.

Who was the other Chicago Bacino you're referring to?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Let's not forget that the D'Andreas came from Vallelunga, Caltanisetta, and Valledolmo, Palermo. The two cities are only about 20 minutes apart.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Alfonso Tornabene was born 1923 in Chicago to Carmelo Tornabene and Maria Carlisi, of Canicattì, Agrigento. Carmelo and Maria married in Orange, NJ in 1908 and later moved to Chicago. For years, the family lived on Townsend near Hobbie in Little Sicily. Later, the family moved down to 14th near Wood, south of the Taylor St Patch (across the L tracks from where the Costco is today).

Maria Carlisi arrived in NYC in 1906 with her father Alfonso and younger sister Rosa Carlisi, all from Canicattì. Their contact was her older brother Giuseppe Carlisi, residing on Elizabeth St in Lower Manhattan's Little Italy. Giuseppe Carlisi arrived in NYC from Canicattì in 1904, bound for his cousin Francesco Ferrugia, who resided on Elizabeth St. In 1908, Giuseppe married Calogera Cassano, born in Canicattì and having arrived in NYC in 1907. Subsequently, they moved to Chicago where their first child Rosario "Roy" Carlisi was born in 1909. Then the Carlisis moved to Upstate NY, where in 1921 Salvatore/Samuel Anthony Carlisi was born in Gloversville, halfway between Albany and Utica. Later, the Carlisis moved to Western NY, where Roy Carlisi stayed and became a member of the Buffalo family. In the 1930s, Sam moved to Chicago Chicago with his parents, where they lived on Polk near Cicero in West Garfield Park in 1940. Prior to his return to Chicago, Giuseppe Carlisi was apparently questioned along with his son Roy about a murder in Buffalo. in 1937, Giuseppe Carlisi was arrested along with sons Roy and Alfonso for operating a still in Cicero (Alfonso Carlisi was born 1913 in Chicago and in 1940 was residing in Cicero). Seems like a good bet that Giuseppe Carlisi may have also been a mafia member.

When Giuseppe Carlisi died in Chicago in 1953, his parents were listed as Alfonso Tornabene and Josephine Drago; these were, of course, the parents of Al Tornbene's mother Maria Carlisi, who died 1967 in McHenry County, as well.

EDIT: Worth noting that there was a Salvatore Tornabene, a tavern keeper in south suburban Harvey, who was murdered in 1935. Almost certainly not related to Al Tornabene, as Salvatore Tornabene was born about 1904 in Lascari, Palermo province.
Last edited by PolackTony on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

His FBI file (which doesn't include the 1980s or 1990s, except for some heavily redacted pages that are essentially useless) says that Samuel Anthony Carlisi was Sam Drago, born 15 Dec 1921 in Gloversville, NY, to Joe and Rose Drago. Then another source in the file says Samuel Anthony Carlisi was born 19 Nov 1921 to Joseph and Rose Carlisi. Notice that Wikipedia has 14 Dec 1914 - which a bunch of other sites copied. Another member of the Aiuppa crew was Carmen Sam Carlisi, who sometimes is identified as someone other than Black Sam Carlisi and other times is identified as him. There was also and Alphonse Carlisi who was a son of Joe and Rosa Carlisi. The Tornabenes and Carlisis, it appears, often used each other's name as an alias along with Drago. Black Sam Carlisi also had a sister, Rosa Greco, who lived in Cicero.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:05 pm Alfonso Tornabene was born 1923 in Chicago to Carmelo Tornabene and Maria Carlisi, of Canicattì, Agrigento. Carmelo and Maria married in Orange, NJ in 1908 and later moved to Chicago. For years, the family lived on Townsend near Hobbie in Little Sicily. Later, the family moved down to 14th near Wood, south of the Taylor St Patch (across the L tracks from where the Costco is today).

Maria Carlisi arrived in NYC in 1906 with her father Alfonso and younger sister Rosa Carlisi, all from Canicattì. Their contact was her older brother Giuseppe Carlisi, residing on Elizabeth St in Lower Manhattan's Little Italy. Giuseppe Carlisi arrived in NYC from Canicattì in 1904, bound for his cousin Francesco Ferrugia, who resided on Elizabeth St. In 1908, Giuseppe married Calogera Cassano, born in Canicattì and having arrived in NYC in 1907. Subsequently, they moved to Chicago where their first child Rosario "Roy" Carlisi was born in 1909. Then the Carlisis moved to Upstate NY, where in 1921 Salvatore/Samuel Anthony Carlisi was born in Gloversville, halfway between Albany and Utica. Later, the Carlisis moved to Western NY, where Roy Carlisi stayed and became a member of the Buffalo family. In the 1930s, Sam moved to Chicago Chicago with his parents, where they lived on Polk near Cicero in West Garfield Park in 1940. Prior to his return to Chicago, Giuseppe Carlisi was apparently questioned along with his son Roy about a murder in Buffalo. in 1937, Giuseppe Carlisi was arrested along with sons Roy and Alfonso for operating a still in Cicero (Alfonso Carlisi was born 1913 in Chicago and in 1940 was residing in Cicero). Seems like a good bet that Giuseppe Carlisi may have also been a mafia member.

When Giuseppe Carlisi died in Chicago in 1953, his parents were listed as Alfonso Tornabene and Josephine Drago; these were, of course, the parents of Al Tornbene's mother Maria Carlisi, who died 1967 in McHenry County, as well.

EDIT: Worth noting that there was a Salvatore Tornabene, a tavern keeper in south suburban Harvey, who was murdered in 1935. Almost certainly not related to Al Tornabene, as Salvatore Tornabene was born about 1904 in Lascari, Palermo province.
It's been long rumored that Al Tornabene was related to Outfit hoodlum Frank Tornabene (the latter also allegedly related by marriage somehow to former powerful alderman Dick Mell, father-in-law of Roddie Blagojevich); I believe that this rumor was first propagated by the ABC-7 "I-Team". This of course is not true, though there is likely a connection to the Salvatore Tornabene killed in 1935. Frank Tornabene should be the Frank Cleo Tornabene identified in FBI documents in the 1960s. He was born 1926 in Chicago to Giulio Tornabene and Rosina Badalamenti of Lascari. Frank's older brother Luigi Tornabene, born in Chicago in 1913, I believe was the famous Louis Tornabene, owner of the Santa Fe Hotel in the Loop and gambling boss for the Outfit in the Loop area under Gus Alex and Frank Ferraro. Can anyone confirm the dates of death for Frank and Louis Tornabene?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I probably have Frank and Louis Tornabene's dates somewhere.

Here's a family tree I made several years ago:

Carlisi Tornabene Cassaro genealogy

Giuseppe (Joseph) Carlisi (Mar 28, 1886, Cannicatti-Jul 3, 1953, Chicago)
+Calogera (Charlotte) Cassaro (Nov 5, 1889, Cannicatti-1965, McHenry Co, IL)
Rosario (Roy) Carlisi (Apr 10, 1909, Chicago-Apr 29, 1980, Buffalo, NY)
+Filippa (Fanny) Romano
Giuseppa (Josephine) Carlisi (1910, Chicago-1997, Kildeer, IL)
+Leonardo Salemi (1908-1973)
Carmen Carlisi (1915, IL)
Antoinette Carlisi (Jan 9, 1917, IL-Jan 27, 1999, Yonkers, NY)
+UNK DiMaggio
Ann Carlisi (1920, NY)
+UNK Cassaro
Salvatore (Samuel) A. Carlisi (Nov 19, 1921, NY-Jan 1, 1997, Miami, FL)

Salvatore Tornabene (Tornamme) (1857, Sicily-1910, Sicily)
+Concetta Cassero (Cassaro) (1857?, Sicily-1910, Sicily)
Carmelo Tornabene (Mar 19, 1879, Cannicatti-Jul 29, 1974, San Jose, CA)
+Maria Carlisi (Dec 12, 1890, Cannicatti-Aug 13, 1976, Cook Co, IL)
Samuel Tornabene (1910-1980)
Roy Tornabene (1912-1985)
Concetta (Teena/Tina) Tornabene (1921-2012)
Alfonso F. Tornabene (Jan 21, 1923, IL-May 21, 2009, IL)
+Betty Elizabeth Frances Jerman (1927-1988)

Giuseppe (Joseph) Carlisi (1855, Sicily-c1935, Chicago)
+Louisa (c1870, Sicily-c1905, Sicily)(or Giuseppa Drago)
Maria Carlisi (1890-1976)
Rosa Carlisi (1894-1975)
Charles Carlisi (1898-1955)
Anthony Carlisi (1902-1980)
+UNK
Grace Carlisi (1907-1990)
Doris Carlisi (1907-1990)
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:03 am I probably have Frank and Louis Tornabene's dates somewhere.

Here's a family tree I made several years ago:

Carlisi Tornabene Cassaro genealogy

Giuseppe (Joseph) Carlisi (Mar 28, 1886, Cannicatti-Jul 3, 1953, Chicago)
+Calogera (Charlotte) Cassaro (Nov 5, 1889, Cannicatti-1965, McHenry Co, IL)
Rosario (Roy) Carlisi (Apr 10, 1909, Chicago-Apr 29, 1980, Buffalo, NY)
+Filippa (Fanny) Romano
Giuseppa (Josephine) Carlisi (1910, Chicago-1997, Kildeer, IL)
+Leonardo Salemi (1908-1973)
Carmen Carlisi (1915, IL)
Antoinette Carlisi (Jan 9, 1917, IL-Jan 27, 1999, Yonkers, NY)
+UNK DiMaggio
Ann Carlisi (1920, NY)
+UNK Cassaro
Salvatore (Samuel) A. Carlisi (Nov 19, 1921, NY-Jan 1, 1997, Miami, FL)

Salvatore Tornabene (Tornamme) (1857, Sicily-1910, Sicily)
+Concetta Cassero (Cassaro) (1857?, Sicily-1910, Sicily)
Carmelo Tornabene (Mar 19, 1879, Cannicatti-Jul 29, 1974, San Jose, CA)
+Maria Carlisi (Dec 12, 1890, Cannicatti-Aug 13, 1976, Cook Co, IL)
Samuel Tornabene (1910-1980)
Roy Tornabene (1912-1985)
Concetta (Teena/Tina) Tornabene (1921-2012)
Alfonso F. Tornabene (Jan 21, 1923, IL-May 21, 2009, IL)
+Betty Elizabeth Frances Jerman (1927-1988)

Giuseppe (Joseph) Carlisi (1855, Sicily-c1935, Chicago)
+Louisa (c1870, Sicily-c1905, Sicily)(or Giuseppa Drago)
Maria Carlisi (1890-1976)
Rosa Carlisi (1894-1975)
Charles Carlisi (1898-1955)
Anthony Carlisi (1902-1980)
+UNK
Grace Carlisi (1907-1990)
Doris Carlisi (1907-1990)
Yes, this matches the info that I have, thanks for sharing.
Antiliar wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 pm His FBI file (which doesn't include the 1980s or 1990s, except for some heavily redacted pages that are essentially useless) says that Samuel Anthony Carlisi was Sam Drago, born 15 Dec 1921 in Gloversville, NY, to Joe and Rose Drago. Then another source in the file says Samuel Anthony Carlisi was born 19 Nov 1921 to Joseph and Rose Carlisi. Notice that Wikipedia has 14 Dec 1914 - which a bunch of other sites copied. Another member of the Aiuppa crew was Carmen Sam Carlisi, who sometimes is identified as someone other than Black Sam Carlisi and other times is identified as him. There was also and Alphonse Carlisi who was a son of Joe and Rosa Carlisi. The Tornabenes and Carlisis, it appears, often used each other's name as an alias along with Drago. Black Sam Carlisi also had a sister, Rosa Greco, who lived in Cicero.
Yes, there are some difficulties tracing out the movements of these two families, especially with the aliases. I think this is a further indication that these families were connected to the mafia.

BTW, Rosa Greco (wife of Antonio Greco) was the aunt, not sister, of Sam Carlisi. On her 1942 US naturalization (residing in Cicero), she states that she was born 1894 in Canicattì and arrived in NYC in 1906. This info matches Rosa Carlisi, younger sister of Maria and Giuseppe Carlisi, who accompanied Maria and their father Alfonso to NYC in 1906, which I mentioned above.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Frank C. Tornabene, 18 May 1926 (some sources have 1923/1924) - 14 Oct 1991

Luigi (Louis) Tornabene 15 Jul 1915 (some have 1914) - 21 Nov 1982

- Regarding Rosa Greco, that's what the FBI file had.