Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53 pm His criticism of Cascio Ferro and Enea seems to suggest that he felt that the initiation of new members who were not from established mafia lineages was problematic and causing issues for the organization (I wonder what he later thought of Masseria's recruitment practices, though of course by then a lot had happened).
I believe there was an early rule that required a proposed member's sponsors to write to his compaesani or even his hometown itself, sort of like NYC passing lists around but more involved. In the letter between Girolamo Asaro and Stefano Magaddino, they seem to be discussing a similar inquiry and the response is similar to Morello's in that the man in question came from another Trapani town and not CDG, so they take no responsibility. I see Cascio Ferro and Enea's failure to follow protocol as an early sign of Americanization, i.e. the American Families began to naturally rely less on those old overseas relationships when inducting members.
Again a very interesting question to think about. Given the number of Termitani in the Chicago family and the close proximity of Caccamo to Termini, I wonder if the Caccamesi and Termitani wouldn't have likely just seen themselves as part of the same network? If so, then membership in Chi vs Chi Heights may have simply been geographic.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm wondering. So many of those villages on the eastern Palermo coast are right next to each other and seem to have supplied Chicago Heights members but also Chicago members, though by the time we know those guys were with Chicago the Heights Family was disbanded so hard to say. Giunta from Cinisi was the Chicago boss and close to Paolo Palazzolo from Cinisi but again the Heights seems to be disbanded by that time.

--

Thanks for the added info on Virruso and Montana, guys. I know nothing about a lot of these Chicago names and was doing some research for other reasons. So it looks like he did have ties to Alcamo but wasn't from there.

Alcamo is interesting because its location and role in the Sicilian mafia put it closer to Palermo and it seems to have had more interaction with the rest of the island unlike the more clannish Castellammare and Trapani Families. Dr. Allegra talked about his friend in Alcamo being taken to Palermo to be inducted into the mafia and arranged to marry the San Giuseppe Iato boss for example.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:53 pm
Again a very interesting question to think about. Given the number of Termitani in the Chicago family and the close proximity of Caccamo to Termini, I wonder if the Caccamesi and Termitani wouldn't have likely just seen themselves as part of the same network? If so, then membership in Chi vs Chi Heights may have simply been geographic.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm wondering. So many of those villages on the eastern Palermo coast are right next to each other and seem to have supplied Chicago Heights members but also Chicago members, though by the time we know those guys were with Chicago the Heights Family was disbanded so hard to say. Giunta from Cinisi was the Chicago boss and close to Paolo Palazzolo from Cinisi but again the Heights seems to be disbanded by that time.

--

Thanks for the added info on Virruso and Montana, guys. I know nothing about a lot of these Chicago names and was doing some research for other reasons. So it looks like he did have ties to Alcamo but wasn't from there.

Alcamo is interesting because its location and role in the Sicilian mafia put it closer to Palermo and it seems to have had more interaction with the rest of the island unlike the more clannish Castellammare and Trapani Families. Dr. Allegra talked about his friend in Alcamo being taken to Palermo to be inducted into the mafia and arranged to marry the San Giuseppe Iato boss for example.
Regarding Termini and Caccamo. IIRC, Raffale Palizzolo was from Termini and was suspected of being the head of the Caccamo family. This may be a further clue that the mafia in these neighboring comune in the area were all part of the same network.

Regarding Virruso and Alcamo. I'm aware that mafiosi from multiple provinces were collaborating in the cattle rustling racket (you recently wrote about that on the forums). IIRC this was coordinated out of Salemi; but given that the Virussos were from Caltanissetta, this could be the context for their apparent link to Trapani province.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Didn't know Palizzolo was from Termini. He was very close with the mafia in Villabate and Bagheria. No doubt early Chicago relationships went back overseas as these places are close. The Accardi cattle rustling operation was in the 1920s-30s but there was a lot of crosspollination in island politics and activities earlier.

- What I wonder is if Chicago was the same as Riccobene described early Philadelphia with three or four Families (like NYC) divided mainly by compaesani, especially since we can confirm they had separate Chicago + Heights Families as late as the mid-1920s (Philly was consolidated by then). Chicago had the make-up to have separate Castelvetrano/Marsala, eastern Palermo coast/inland, and maybe other groups. Like we were saying, a question is whether the guys from those eastern Palermo villages would have divided themselves or seen themselves as one since they were neighbors. The Sicilians in Birmingham were no doubt one single Family but historians said the paesan colonies stayed separate and viewed each other as rivals even though they were neighbors in Sicily.

- Then there's the powerful Agrigento guys but what kind of colony did Mike Merlo join when he arrived? His father died early on in Chicago and you found later guys from Sambuca, then most of the Ribera guys came around the time Merlo became boss. Except for Families that were created/dominated by Agrigento (Cleveland, DeCavalcante, Pueblo) we see them more than happy to have their own faction under leadership from elsewhere. Merlo seems to have been in with D'Andrea and what we know as the single Chicago Family by the 1910s. Agrigentini prefer their own even by mafia standards, though.

- Giuffre said the Caccamo Mandamento had the following towns when he was in charge but not all of them had their own Family:
Caccamo, Ventimiglia di Sicilia, Trabia, Termini Imerese, Sciara, Cerda, Montemaggiore Belsito, Aliminusa, and San Nicolo l'Arena

- The top Caccamesi leaders were all killed in the mid- and late-1920s. The Chicago Heights and Pittsburgh admins (who both have ties to the Landolina name) and Giorgio Catania in Philadelphia (said by Riccobene to have been former boss of the Philly-Caccamo Family). Odd coincidence, especially given some other conflicts were ethnically-driven (i.e. Castellammarese War) and national in scope.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:20 pm Didn't know Palizzolo was from Termini. He was very close with the mafia in Villabate and Bagheria. No doubt early Chicago relationships went back overseas as these places are close. The Accardi cattle rustling operation was in the 1920s-30s but there was a lot of crosspollination in island politics and activities earlier.
Termitani were already established in Chicago by the 1880s, so it wouldn't be surprising that these eastern Palermo comuni seem to have supplied an important core for the mafia in both the city and the Heights. I'm not sure when the first Corleonesi became established in Chicago, so my working theory is that the Termitani founded the Chicago mafia c.1880.
B. wrote: - What I wonder is if Chicago was the same as Riccobene described early Philadelphia with three or four Families (like NYC) divided mainly by compaesani, especially since we can confirm they had separate Chicago + Heights Families as late as the mid-1920s (Philly was consolidated by then). Chicago had the make-up to have separate Castelvetrano/Marsala, eastern Palermo coast/inland, and maybe other groups. Like we were saying, a question is whether the guys from those eastern Palermo villages would have divided themselves or seen themselves as one since they were neighbors. The Sicilians in Birmingham were no doubt one single Family but historians said the paesan colonies stayed separate and viewed each other as rivals even though they were neighbors in Sicily.
This is a question that I've been mulling over as well. I think it's certainly possible that at least two families initially existed in the city proper -- Termitani and Corleonesi -- though this would be still in the 19th century. Chicago had a great number of Sicilians, of course, and a number of distinct Italian colony neighborhoods, so I think the conditions were there for an initial development along the lines of what occurred in Philly. I'd have no way of really judging at what point these may have coalesced into one family. Seems that this occurred, if it indeed did, by the 1910s at the very latest, as with D'Andrea we can see that Little Sicily and Taylor St were under one admin. I think this would've already occurred earlier; an example is the Giuseppe Macaluso who I noted above, who operated in both Little Sicily and on S Clark St.
B. wrote: - Then there's the powerful Agrigento guys but what kind of colony did Mike Merlo join when he arrived? His father died early on in Chicago and you found later guys from Sambuca, then most of the Ribera guys came around the time Merlo became boss. Except for Families that were created/dominated by Agrigento (Cleveland, DeCavalcante, Pueblo) we see them more than happy to have their own faction under leadership from elsewhere. Merlo seems to have been in with D'Andrea and what we know as the single Chicago Family by the 1910s. Agrigentini prefer their own even by mafia standards, though.
Yeah, unlike those other cities, I see no evidence to suspect that Agrigentesi networks played a central role in the formation of the Chicago mafia. Of course, I write that with the caveat that there were certainly guys we don't know about; but still, I think we do have a good grasp on the broad outlines of who seemed to have been the major players, and in the earlier phases they were not Agrigentesi. So when they came into the organization later, they got in where they fit in, I'm sure.
B. wrote: - Giuffre said the Caccamo Mandamento had the following towns when he was in charge but not all of them had their own Family:
Caccamo, Ventimiglia di Sicilia, Trabia, Termini Imerese, Sciara, Cerda, Montemaggiore Belsito, Aliminusa, and San Nicolo l'Arena
Obviously, the networks that were formalized with the development of the mandamento system long predated it. Worth noting that several of those comuni were well represented in Chicago (Ventimiglia, Trabia, Montemaggiore).
B. wrote: - The top Caccamesi leaders were all killed in the mid- and late-1920s. The Chicago Heights and Pittsburgh admins (who both have ties to the Landolina name) and Giorgio Catania in Philadelphia (said by Riccobene to have been former boss of the Philly-Caccamo Family). Odd coincidence, especially given some other conflicts were ethnically-driven (i.e. Castellammarese War) and national in scope.
There may have been something afoot, for sure. This could be an important dynamic that we otherwise wouldn't grasp if we only saw it viewed from the level of local Chicago-area underworld competition. In the latter light, the removal of Piazza by the Roberto/Emery group can be cast as a simplified Calabresi vs Sicilians war over bootlegging, in the vein of how people have depicted the Capone vs Aiello contest. I suspect that, as in the Capone case, this had a lot more to do with internal mafia politics than people have assumed. By this time in the 1920s, the process of incorporating these mainlander organizations into the mafia, I believe, was in full force, and it's fully possible that Chicago used this as a way to take out Piazza and absorb the Heights family as a decina. The possibility that Caccamesi leaders were iced out on a broader scale at the same time I think goes to further support that line of reasoning and points to a potentially larger context apart from local Chicago concerns.

Thanks for pointing out the Landolina connection, also. Piazza's wife, of course, was Carmella Landolina.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty certain that Phil Piazza's wife Carmella was the sister of the Nicasio Landolina killed in Pittsburgh in 1928 (maybe you were aware of this already). So, yeah. Something was going down then.
Last edited by PolackTony on Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

For the earlier time periods I think it might help to look at the districts under the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Palermo, Corleone and Termini each had their own districts.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NoRhA ... ne&f=false
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:08 pm For the earlier time periods I think it might help to look at the districts under the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Palermo, Corleone and Termini each had their own districts.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NoRhA ... ne&f=false
Ohhhh. This is excellent, thanks Anti!. I think this is probably a very important part of the context for the formation of these networks.

While Bagheria is not named, one notes that Casteldaccia is listed under the Distretto di Palermo, while Altavilla is under Termini. So the line between the two distretti was between these comuni. Not that all sorts of connections didn't traverse those political boundaries, but there may be some deeper context to Bagheria and Termini being two distinct mafia networks in the US. I also note that Valledolmo is under Termini.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Bagheria was part of the Distretto di Palermo. This book goes into even more detail and covers every city:
https://books.google.com/books?id=ckBjb ... ia&f=false
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Vincenzo Gibaldi, alias "Jack McGurn" was born 1904 in Licata, Agrigento province, to Tommaso Gibaldi and Giuseppa Verderame. In 1906, Vincenzo arrived with his mother in NYC in 1906, where Tommaso was already living on Union St in Brooklyn. Tommaso died in 1911 and Giuseppa subsequently married a man named Angelo D'Amore in Ashtabula, OH; hence Vincenzo later went by "DeMory" or "DeMora". The family then moved to Chicago. I haven't been able to confirm an origin for Angelo D'Amore, apart from the fact that he was born about 1886 in Sicily. There other D'Amores in Chicago from Siculiana, however, so given the Agrigento origin of his wife, perhaps he was from there. There were also a bunch of D'Amores in Chicago from Termini.

Wherever he was from, Angelo D'Amore was the Angelo DeMora murdered 1923/01/08 near his home on S Sangamon St in the Taylor St Patch. Angelo's occupation was given as "macaroni and olive oil salesman" and the police linked his death to the ongoing "political feud" in the 19th Ward. The story that I've read was that Angelo was killed by the Gennas for selling sugar to rivals. I have no idea how well-sourced or accurate that account is.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:56 pm
B. wrote: - The top Caccamesi leaders were all killed in the mid- and late-1920s. The Chicago Heights and Pittsburgh admins (who both have ties to the Landolina name) and Giorgio Catania in Philadelphia (said by Riccobene to have been former boss of the Philly-Caccamo Family). Odd coincidence, especially given some other conflicts were ethnically-driven (i.e. Castellammarese War) and national in scope.
There may have been something afoot, for sure. This could be an important dynamic that we otherwise wouldn't grasp if we only saw it viewed from the level of local Chicago-area underworld competition. In the latter light, the removal of Piazza by the Roberto/Emery group can be cast as a simplified Calabresi vs Sicilians war over bootlegging, in the vein of how people have depicted the Capone vs Aiello contest. I suspect that, as in the Capone case, this had a lot more to do with internal mafia politics than people have assumed. By this time in the 1920s, the process of incorporating these mainlander organizations into the mafia, I believe, was in full force, and it's fully possible that Chicago used this as a way to take out Piazza and absorb the Heights family as a decina. The possibility that Caccamesi leaders were iced out on a broader scale at the same time I think goes to further support that line of reasoning and points to a potentially larger context apart from local Chicago concerns.

Thanks for pointing out the Landolina connection, also. Piazza's wife, of course, was Carmella Landolina.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty certain that Phil Piazza's wife Carmella was the sister of the Nicasio Landolina killed in Pittsburgh in 1928 (maybe you were aware of this already). So, yeah. Something was going down then.
Yeah, that's the Landolina tie I was getting at but I think the wife was a cousin of the Pittsburgh underboss.

Something to think about with these wars is how Maranzano was in the process of getting Vincent Coll to kill the bosses of other Families. Then Maranzano was killed by Luciano's Jewish friends. If we only knew about Coll and the Jewish guys but didn't have people like Bonanno, Gentile, and Valachi to explain the real motivation we might think it was an inter-ethnic "gang war" over rackets/turf when it was 100% mafia politics, they just used non-Italian associates to do it. It's why I don't think it's that crazy when we hear about mafiosi hiring bikers or black gangsters to do murders these days. Also why I'm skeptical of explanations for early murders where we don't have inside info.

-

These are the Caccamo names I have connected to the mafia in the Chicago area, can't remember who some of them are:

Charles Costello
Salvatore "Sam" Costello
Joseph Costello
Filippo "Phil" Piazza
Giovanni "John" Piazza
Giuseppe "Joe" Martino
Joseph Guzzino*
Salvatore "Sam" Geraci
Pietro Zeranti
Sebastiano Zeranti

* Top members in the Caccamo Family when Nino Giuffre was made were the Guzzinos, Diego and his father Giovanni. In-laws of the boss and now Diego Guzzino is believed to be the boss.

--

I think the Cleveland meeting's Chicago attendees tells us about compaesani politics at the time:

Pasquale Lolordo, Phil Bacino (Ribera, Agrigento) - Lolordo is Chicago boss and is killed soon after. Bacino probably attended as his aide but then we have the Rotondo reference to him being a one-time DeCavalcante boss so who knows what his stature was. Bacino's older brother was made in Ribera and he was related/arrived to DeCavalcante Giacobbes whose cousins were Ribera members. No doubt tied to a serious clan.

Giuseppe Giunta, Frank Alo/Abbate/Agrusa, Paolo Palazzolo (Cinisi, Palermo) - Giunta becomes Chicago boss later, Alo is tied to Chicago Heights/St. Louis/SW Illinois, Palazzolo is the top guy in Gary. They all give Palazzolo's address. Why did the meeting need three guys from Cinisi? Did they represent different Families? They all end up dead between 1930-1944.

Sam Oliveri (Corleone, Palermo) - His first cousin is married to Tom Reina, Corleonese NYC boss at this time. Her brother and father are involved with the Reina Family too. Very connected to earlier Chicago figures from Corleone the Nicolosis who are also related to NYC Corleonesi. Later moves to Rockford.

Giuseppe Scacco (Camporeale, Trapani) - Camporeale was still in Trapani and Schiro ruled the network but it's not that close to Castelvetrano/Marsala where most of Chicago's Trapani guys are from. Anything known about him?

James Intravaia (Monreale, Palermo) - From this thread it sounds like he's married to someone from Bagheria and has ties to Rockford?

Ribera, Cinisi, and Corleone make sense and those guys are connected to other cities. No representation from Bagheria, Caccamo, Termini, and the eastern Palermo coast unless we count Intravaia.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Was the name Giuseppe Sacco and not Scacco? I've never heard of Scacco as a surname.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:41 pm Vincenzo Gibaldi, alias "Jack McGurn" was born 1904 in Licata, Agrigento province, to Tommaso Gibaldi and Giuseppa Verderame. In 1906, Vincenzo arrived with his mother in NYC in 1906, where Tommaso was already living on Union St in Brooklyn. Tommaso died in 1911 and Giuseppa subsequently married a man named Angelo D'Amore in Ashtabula, OH; hence Vincenzo later went by "DeMory" or "DeMora". The family then moved to Chicago. I haven't been able to confirm an origin for Angelo D'Amore, apart from the fact that he was born about 1886 in Sicily. There other D'Amores in Chicago from Siculiana, however, so given the Agrigento origin of his wife, perhaps he was from there. There were also a bunch of D'Amores in Chicago from Termini.

Wherever he was from, Angelo D'Amore was the Angelo DeMora murdered 1923/01/08 near his home on S Sangamon St in the Taylor St Patch. Angelo's occupation was given as "macaroni and olive oil salesman" and the police linked his death to the ongoing "political feud" in the 19th Ward. The story that I've read was that Angelo was killed by the Gennas for selling sugar to rivals. I have no idea how well-sourced or accurate that account is.
Where did you find the year Tommaso Gibaldi died? I didn't see his name in the New York City death index so assume he probably died at sea. The story of Angelo D'Amore working for the Gennas seems to go back to Judge Lyle, although Edward Doherty implied some things in his earlier articles from 1931.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:22 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:41 pm Vincenzo Gibaldi, alias "Jack McGurn" was born 1904 in Licata, Agrigento province, to Tommaso Gibaldi and Giuseppa Verderame. In 1906, Vincenzo arrived with his mother in NYC in 1906, where Tommaso was already living on Union St in Brooklyn. Tommaso died in 1911 and Giuseppa subsequently married a man named Angelo D'Amore in Ashtabula, OH; hence Vincenzo later went by "DeMory" or "DeMora". The family then moved to Chicago. I haven't been able to confirm an origin for Angelo D'Amore, apart from the fact that he was born about 1886 in Sicily. There other D'Amores in Chicago from Siculiana, however, so given the Agrigento origin of his wife, perhaps he was from there. There were also a bunch of D'Amores in Chicago from Termini.

Where did you find the year Tommaso Gibaldi died? I didn't see his name in the New York City death index so assume he probably died at sea. The story of Angelo D'Amore working for the Gennas seems to go back to Judge Lyle, although Edward Doherty implied some things in his earlier articles from 1931.
That should have read that I believe he passed sometime "around 1911". I was never able to verify a death record for him either. Several of the ancestry family trees (which as you know are often riddled with errors) state that he died in 1911. Then his wife remarried in 1914 in OH (I have the marriage record for that). So I think it's reasonable that he probably did in fact die sometime around 1911. So that's my best guess, but it shouldn't read as if it were documented fact (can't edit now).

There was another Tommaso Gibaldi from Licata living in NYC during this period. This guy, however, was younger, born in 1895, and died in 1918 (the Tommaso Gibardi that we're interested in was born about 1873). Possible that they were cousins, given the same name. You mentioned death at sea, and there is a record for one of these Tommaso Gibardis arriving in NYC in 1911, but he is listed there as born about 1887. In that record, his occupation is listed as "sailor". I'm thinking that was the younger Tommaso, but who knows. Either way, there doesn't seem to be any further records that appear for McGurn's dad from that time on.

With the Genna/D'Amore thing, I have little confidence in these accounts (which get repeated ad infinitum in later texts as if they were proven fact) of perpetrators and motives for murders in that period. A lot of this stuff that was ostensibly ascribed to "Black Handers" or alky war stuff was likely the result of internal mafia politics (not that competition over bootlegging rackets didn't intersect with the politics also).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm Was the name Giuseppe Sacco and not Scacco? I've never heard of Scacco as a surname.
It's not a common surname but is found in both Sicily and the mainland. In Sicily, it is most common in Catania.
B. wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:43 pm Giuseppe Scacco (Camporeale, Trapani) - Camporeale was still in Trapani and Schiro ruled the network but it's not that close to Castelvetrano/Marsala where most of Chicago's Trapani guys are from. Anything known about him?
Honestly, I have no info on this guy. No hits for a Giuseppe/Joseph Scacco in Chicago of the right age range. All of the Scaccos in Chicago that I've seen were from Catania province.

There was a Joseph Sacco arrested in 1924 with a group of armed men who included a "Sam Virso" who was probably Salvatore Virruso. But there must've been a thousand Giuseppe Saccos in Chicago anyway.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:55 pm
That should have read that I believe he passed sometime "around 1911". I was never able to verify a death record for him either. Several of the ancestry family trees (which as you know are often riddled with errors) state that he died in 1911. Then his wife remarried in 1914 in OH (I have the marriage record for that). So I think it's reasonable that he probably did in fact die sometime around 1911. So that's my best guess, but it shouldn't read as if it were documented fact (can't edit now).

There was another Tommaso Gibaldi from Licata living in NYC during this period. This guy, however, was younger, born in 1895, and died in 1918 (the Tommaso Gibardi that we're interested in was born about 1873). Possible that they were cousins, given the same name. You mentioned death at sea, and there is a record for one of these Tommaso Gibardis arriving in NYC in 1911, but he is listed there as born about 1887. In that record, his occupation is listed as "sailor". I'm thinking that was the younger Tommaso, but who knows. Either way, there doesn't seem to be any further records that appear for McGurn's dad from that time on.

With the Genna/D'Amore thing, I have little confidence in these accounts (which get repeated ad infinitum in later texts as if they were proven fact) of perpetrators and motives for murders in that period. A lot of this stuff that was ostensibly ascribed to "Black Handers" or alky war stuff was likely the result of internal mafia politics (not that competition over bootlegging rackets didn't intersect with the politics also).
If I recall, there was also a Tommaso Gibaldi who died in Milwaukee in 1918. I agree that around 1911 is probably correct. They had a daughter born in 1910, then there's a gap. Yes, I also have the Gibaldi-D'Amore marriage record from FamilySearch. I've spent years trying to find the same things you've been searching for: the death date of Gibaldi and the birth location of D'Amore. There is a family tree with Gibaldi's birth record (which you can also find at FamilySearch).

Interesting that the Gibaldis and Verderames lived on Union Street in Brooklyn not far from the older Battista Balsamo. William J. Balsamo tells a lot of stories about them; it's possible that there's a grain of truth in there.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:43 pm Yeah, that's the Landolina tie I was getting at but I think the wife was a cousin of the Pittsburgh underboss.
Yeah, re-reading the records, they weren't siblings as she was a generation younger than him. Nicasio's father was a Cosimo Landolina, whereas on her death record Carmella Piazza's father was recorded as "John Landolina". She had a brother named Cosimo Landolina who also settled in Chicago Heights. She also did have a brother named Nicasio Landolina, but this guy was born in the 1890s and was not the one from Pittsburgh. In 1921 he arrived in NYC bound for Chi Heights, where he listed his father Giovanni Landolina as residing. By 1928, it looks like Giovanni was back in Caccamo, while his son Nicasio remained in the Heights. Given the naming conventions (grandfather to grandson), I'd be willing to bet that Giovanni Landolina was probably the brother of Nicasio Landolina of Pitt, and thus Carmella was Nicasio's niece.