Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:23 pm Louis Clementi was born either 1902 or 1903 in Italy. His younger brother Pasquale was born 1908 in Chicago. Their parents were Antonio Clemente and Carmella Guglielmo, both born in Italy. Carmella's mother apparently was from Potenza, so she may have been born there. Antonio's gravestone states that he was born 02/05/1881. My best guess is that he was the Antonio Clemente born 02/06/1881 in Gravina, Bari. The father of this Antonio was named Luigi, and Antonio's firstborn son was "Louis". Gravina is very close to the border with Potenza province also.
I was able to locate the ship manifest for Antonio, Carmella, and son Louis (as Luigi) Clemente, arriving at NYC in 1905 bound for Chicago. Their last residence seems to have been Rionero in Vulture, Potenza province.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Americo Tony “Pete” DePietto was born 1914 in Brooklyn to Vincenzo Di Pietto and Evelina Petrone of Pietrelcina, Benevento, Campania.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Can anyone confirm Tony DeLordo’s birth year? The internet has him as 1924 - 1971 but I don’t think that’s correct. The Anthony DeLordo who died in 1971 was born 1907. There was another Anthony DeLordo born 1923 who died in 2000.

EDIT: Think I may have straightened it out. The Tribune stated Tony DeLordo was 45 in 1952, when he was questioned regarding Teddy Roe’s murder. There was also an Anthony DeLordo charged with armed robbery in 1929. So he was almost certainly born in 1907.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:22 am Can anyone confirm Tony DeLordo’s birth year? The internet has him as 1924 - 1971 but I don’t think that’s correct. The Anthony DeLordo who died in 1971 was born 1907. There was another Anthony DeLordo born 1923 who died in 2000.

EDIT: Think I may have straightened it out. The Tribune stated Tony DeLordo was 45 in 1952, when he was questioned regarding Teddy Roe’s murder. There was also an Anthony DeLordo charged with armed robbery in 1929. So he was almost certainly born in 1907.
To follow up, I have Anthony DeLordo as born 1907 in Chicago to Vito Dell’Orto and Silvina Di Vita of Oliveto Citra, Salerno, Campania.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Hitting a wall with the Manno brothers. Pat Manno I have as born 1908 in Chicago (he appears as Patsy, Patrick, or Pascal in various documents) to Nicola Manno and Maria Esposito. All of their documents that I have reviewed just state that they were born in Italy. I'm pretty sure that this was "Pat Manning", however, as he had brothers named Nick, Sam, Fred, and Tom and married a Bessie Tremont (Pat Manning was stated to have been partnered with a guy named Tremont). My best guess is that the Manno surname was Sicilian, but the surname is also present in Calabria and Campania as well as other regions.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 am Hitting a wall with the Manno brothers. Pat Manno I have as born 1908 in Chicago (he appears as Patsy, Patrick, or Pascal in various documents) to Nicola Manno and Maria Esposito. All of their documents that I have reviewed just state that they were born in Italy. I'm pretty sure that this was "Pat Manning", however, as he had brothers named Nick, Sam, Fred, and Tom and married a Bessie Tremont (Pat Manning was stated to have been partnered with a guy named Tremont). My best guess is that the Manno surname was Sicilian, but the surname is also present in Calabria and Campania as well as other regions.
Unfortunately there's no Nick Manno listed here: https://services.cookcountyclerkofcourt ... fault.aspx

According to this ship manifest, his last residence was San Vitaliano, near Naples. Strange that he would depart from Palermo. Maybe he was born in Sicily and he and his parents moved to San V later on:
Name
Nicola Menna
Ethnicity/ Nationality
Italian
Birth Date
Departure Port
Palermo
Arrival Date
14 Apr 1902
Arrival Port
New York, New York, USA
Ship Name
Trojan Prince

But according to his son's birth record, he was born there:
Name: Nicola Menno
Birth Date: Abt 1880
Birth Place: Vitagliano, Italy
Spouse: Maria Esposito
Child: Pasquale Menno
FHL Film Number: 1288161
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:08 pm
PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 am Hitting a wall with the Manno brothers. Pat Manno I have as born 1908 in Chicago (he appears as Patsy, Patrick, or Pascal in various documents) to Nicola Manno and Maria Esposito. All of their documents that I have reviewed just state that they were born in Italy. I'm pretty sure that this was "Pat Manning", however, as he had brothers named Nick, Sam, Fred, and Tom and married a Bessie Tremont (Pat Manning was stated to have been partnered with a guy named Tremont). My best guess is that the Manno surname was Sicilian, but the surname is also present in Calabria and Campania as well as other regions.
Unfortunately there's no Nick Manno listed here: https://services.cookcountyclerkofcourt ... fault.aspx

According to this ship manifest, his last residence was San Vitaliano, near Naples. Strange that he would depart from Palermo. Maybe he was born in Sicily and he and his parents moved to San V later on:
Name
Nicola Menna
Ethnicity/ Nationality
Italian
Birth Date
Departure Port
Palermo
Arrival Date
14 Apr 1902
Arrival Port
New York, New York, USA
Ship Name
Trojan Prince

Great find. There are many Mannos and Mannas in Chicago, but it was listed as Menno/Menna. Now the question is what the surname actually was, originally. If Manno, more likely to be Sicilian. If Menna, much more likely Napolitan’. There are Mennas in San Vitaliano, but hardly any in Sicily. Esposito is of course a classically Napolitan’ surname, so I’m thinking it’s possible both parents were Napolitan’. Maybe he was in Sicily for non-family reasons. I note that on that ship in 1902 there were several other guys from San Vitaliano also headed to Chicago as well as someone from Marigliano. Maybe they had to take a ship to Sicily first en route to the US?

EDIT: When Pat Mannings’ brother Salvatore Sam Menna was born Nicola was listed as born in Marigliano. Marigliano and San Vitaliano of course directly border each other.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:57 pm
Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Name
Nicola Menna
Ethnicity/ Nationality
Italian
Birth Date
Departure Port
Palermo
Arrival Date
14 Apr 1902
Arrival Port
New York, New York, USA
Ship Name
Trojan Prince

Great find. There are many Mannos and Mannas in Chicago, but it was listed as Menno/Menna. Now the question is what the surname actually was, originally. If Manno, more likely to be Sicilian. If Menna, much more likely Napolitan’. There are Mennas in San Vitaliano, but hardly any in Sicily. Esposito is of course a classically Napolitan’ surname, so I’m thinking it’s possible both parents were Napolitan’. Maybe he was in Sicily for non-family reasons. I note that on that ship in 1902 there were several other guys from San Vitaliano also headed to Chicago as well as someone from Marigliano. Maybe they had to take a ship to Sicily first en route to the US?

EDIT: When Pat Mannings’ brother Salvatore Sam Menna was born Nicola was listed as born in Marigliano. Marigliano and San Vitaliano of course directly border each other.
Another addendum. In 1910, Maria Esposito's father Frank Esposito was living with her and Nicola Menna in Chicago. From other documents that I believe match him (Francesco Pasquale Esposito, born 1866), his birthplace was listed as Scisciano while his sister lived in San Vitaliano.

I think it's safe to conclude that the "Manno" brothers were Napolitan'.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

From what I have, Dominic Galiano (Gagliano) was born 1914 in Chicago to Giuseppe Gagliano and Maria Chiara, of Chiusa Sclafani, Palermo province.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

John Matassa, Sr was born 1920 in Louisiana to Giuseppe Matassa and Anna Gerage. They were Sicilian, but I'm not positive from where (there was a Giuseppe Matassa in Louisiana in 1921 from Cefalu). This should be the same John C Matassa, born 1920, who died in 2010, residing in Schiller Park (his WW2 draft registration gave his name as John Coal Matassa). John Sr married Josephine Suizzo, who I believe was born Giuseppina Suizzo in Chicago in 1924 to Giovanni Suizzo and Maria Teresa Russino (from Santa Croce Camerina and Donnalucata, Ragusa province, respectively). John Matassa and Josephine are the parents of John Matassa, Jr.

It is believed that Pudgy Matassa and Mike Glitta were relatives of some sort. Based on what I see, there doesn't seem to be any blood ties between them, and their ancestry is from different regions (Glitta's - originally Gliatta - parents were from Greci, Avellino). Could be via marriage, or it could be that Glitta knew the Matassa family (same age as John, Sr) and thus was called an "uncle" in the way that Italian families often do.
Last edited by PolackTony on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I believe that James Inendino is the son of Joseph Inendino and Ida Cuttone. Joseph was born 1919 in Chicago to Vincenzo "James" Inendine (the original spelling on his birth document) and Rosa Iazzetta, of Acerra, Napoli. Ida was born 1919 in Chicago to Francesco Cuttone of Campobello di Mazara, Trapani and Angela Stallone of Castelvetrano, Trapani. The Inendine family lived in the Taylor St "Patch" while the Cuttones lived farther west in West Garfield Park.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Are you certain that you have the correct parents for John A. Matassa Sr? This obit is from 1976 and seems to match:
CT 1976May9 John Matassa Sr obit.jpg
According to Ottavio Matassa's naturalization he was from San Leiliceslavo, which is a typo for something. His World War II draft card has San Felitio. Slav.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 am I believe that James Inendino is the son of Joseph Inendino and Ida Cuttone. Joseph was born 1919 in Chicago to Vincenzo "James" Inendine (the original spelling on his birth document) and Rosa Iazzetta, of Acerra, Napoli. Ida was born 1919 in Chicago to Francesco Cuttone of Campobello di Mazara, Trapani and Angela Stallone of Castelvetrano, Trapani. The Inendine family lived in the Taylor St "Patch" while the Cuttones lived farther west in West Garfield Park.
Inedino grew up on Flournoy - his father died very young and he watched out for his younger siblings. I believe his father was named Sam Inendino.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:25 am Are you certain that you have the correct parents for John A. Matassa Sr? This obit is from 1976 and seems to match:

CT 1976May9 John Matassa Sr obit.jpg

According to Ottavio Matassa's naturalization he was from San Leiliceslavo, which is a typo for something. His World War II draft card has San Felitio. Slav.
Good catch. I should've hedged that one by stating "I believe" the way that I did for Jimmy I, as with these "younger" guys it's more difficult to establish a firm genealogy. There was another John A Matassa who died in 1951 in Chicago, who I thought was the son of Ottavio Matassa but died too early to be the John Matassa, Sr here. The one who died in 1951 now I think may have been an uncle or something. When I looked into Ottavio, he was from San Felice del Molise, which is an old settlement of Croatians (hence the "Slavo").

Can anyone confirm that the former cop and union official John Matassa died in 1976? Also, that Pudgy Matassa's wife is named Judith?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:25 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 am I believe that James Inendino is the son of Joseph Inendino and Ida Cuttone. Joseph was born 1919 in Chicago to Vincenzo "James" Inendine (the original spelling on his birth document) and Rosa Iazzetta, of Acerra, Napoli. Ida was born 1919 in Chicago to Francesco Cuttone of Campobello di Mazara, Trapani and Angela Stallone of Castelvetrano, Trapani. The Inendine family lived in the Taylor St "Patch" while the Cuttones lived farther west in West Garfield Park.
Inedino grew up on Flournoy - his father died very young and he watched out for his younger siblings. I believe his father was named Sam Inendino.
Joseph Inendino had a brother named Sam. Given that their father was Vincenzo, more than one of the brothers might've named a son James. Joseph Inendino's son seems to have been named James V Inendino.