Visiting Rockford

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Patrickgold
Full Patched

Re: Visiting Rockford

Post by Patrickgold »

cavita wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm
Snakes wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:56 pm I'm still puzzled by the idea that the FBI had Rockford as a crew under the Outfit. *Someone* reliable had to plant that the bug in the FBI's ear, as they held onto it for a decade plus. They had them as separate families in the sixties, but I wonder what caused them to reverse course later on.
Snakes, I'm convinced that it was easier for the government to lump them in with Chicago Outfit and even though they dropped off the FBI lists of functioning families by the end of the 1980s I never saw any of the Rockford members included in an official list of Chicago Outfit members. My FBI files showed they were still functioning into the 1990s with a more Sicilian flavor if you will, and some of your files confirm that as well. My hope is that with more FBI files requested it will become clearer if they were indeed absorbed in the Outfit or just continued to partner with them.
I also appreciate the kind words- my research is a labor of love and becomes even more personal when I return to Rockford, hear the info firsthand and see the guys.
Cavita,

Maybe I missed it in a prior conversation but what year was Gumbo Saladino made? And who made him?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:55 am
cavita wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm
Snakes wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:56 pm I'm still puzzled by the idea that the FBI had Rockford as a crew under the Outfit. *Someone* reliable had to plant that the bug in the FBI's ear, as they held onto it for a decade plus. They had them as separate families in the sixties, but I wonder what caused them to reverse course later on.
Snakes, I'm convinced that it was easier for the government to lump them in with Chicago Outfit and even though they dropped off the FBI lists of functioning families by the end of the 1980s I never saw any of the Rockford members included in an official list of Chicago Outfit members. My FBI files showed they were still functioning into the 1990s with a more Sicilian flavor if you will, and some of your files confirm that as well. My hope is that with more FBI files requested it will become clearer if they were indeed absorbed in the Outfit or just continued to partner with them.
I also appreciate the kind words- my research is a labor of love and becomes even more personal when I return to Rockford, hear the info firsthand and see the guys.
Cavita,

Maybe I missed it in a prior conversation but what year was Gumbo Saladino made? And who made him?
Great question and one I don't know the answer to. My understanding is they will only release a couple pages of his FBI file. Perhaps I should try again. I do remember hearing in the late 80s from quite a few people that he was "mafia," which to me meant he was a made member. Makes sense to me as he had already committed numerous murders and had the pedigree. He was also a constant companion of Salvatore Galluzzo who was reputed to be boss after Zammuto died in 1990 and also of his brother Natalie Galluzzo.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:50 am I asked before, not seeing it, what was the boss succession up to Zammuto?
Musso 1930-1958
Zammuto 1958-1990
PPPP
Straightened out

Post by PPPP »

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before or if it's a dumb question: If there was an issue between Rockford and Chicago, in say the 70's, would Zammuto have met with Aiuppa? Or with the difference in size of the families a Capo like Torello or Solano would have handled the issue?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PPPP wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:13 am I apologize if this has been asked and answered before or if it's a dumb question: If there was an issue between Rockford and Chicago, in say the 70's, would Zammuto have met with Aiuppa? Or with the difference in size of the families a Capo like Torello or Solano would have handled the issue?
I think just because of their longstanding ties Zammuto would have met directly with Aiuppa.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

cavita wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:04 am
Chris Christie wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:50 am I asked before, not seeing it, what was the boss succession up to Zammuto?
Musso 1930-1958
Zammuto 1958-1990
Musso was boss from 1930 to 1958?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:39 am
cavita wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:04 am
Musso 1930-1958
Zammuto 1958-1990
Musso was boss from 1930 to 1958?
Yes. While he was in Leavenworth from 1931-1932 Phil Caltagerone was acting boss, however
PPPP
Straightened out

Post by PPPP »

cavita wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:38 am
PPPP wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:13 am I apologize if this has been asked and answered before or if it's a dumb question: If there was an issue between Rockford and Chicago, in say the 70's, would Zammuto have met with Aiuppa? Or with the difference in size of the families a Capo like Torello or Solano would have handled the issue?
I think just because of their longstanding ties Zammuto would have met directly with Aiuppa.
Got it. Thanks.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

On the topic of Rockford 1963 here is a little snapshot into Rockford and LCN things that took place that year:

June 1963 Wallace Abraham was employed at the Auburn Street Tap which was mobbed up. Abraham was partners in a restaurant with LCN member Sebastian Gulotta and Abraham died under mysterious circumstances in 1970.

April 1963 Joseph Alonzo was charged with being the keeper of a gambling house while bartending at the Neapolitan Club, 517 15th Avenue. Six unopened bags of numbers tickets, dice, cash and used tickets were found in the raid on the club. Mayor Ben Schleicher closed the club for this violation on April 29th and on April 30th, someone set fire to the business causing over $15,000 damage.

1963 Gaspare Artale immigrated to Rockford from Roccamena, Sicily. He was said to have been a mafia member in that village.

1963 Leroy “Bunky” Bloomquist died. He was a notorious bookmaker and gambler in Rockford in the 1940s.

1963 Frank “Frankie Bush” Buscemi moved from Rockford to Delray Beach, Florida. This Frank Buscemi was first cousins with Rockford LCN underboss Frank Buscemi. Frankie Bush was an early Rockford bootlegger and took many arrests. FBI files noted Frankie Bush meeting with boss Joe Zammuto when Zammuto would vacation in Florida.

April 1963 Rockford LCN underboss Frank Buscemi was fined for licensing violations on pool tables at the Da-Mar Lounge which Sam Ferruggia was the owner. Buscemi owned Stateline Vending which provided the licenses.

April 1963 Andrew Calcione was subpoenaed along with his wife Jill to appear in Federal Court in Chicago for questioning in a Chicago call-girl ring. The operation was said to have generated $750,000 annually and was said to be run by 36 year old Pat Atkins of Chicago. Nine Chicago women were also subpoenaed. Calcione was a top Rockford LCN associate and took many arrests over the years.

January 1, 1963 Joseph Calcione closed the Town Lounge he operated due to the adverse publicity of the Rockford LCN murders of Octavio Martinez and Ann Bergman. The liquor license was transferred to the Surf Cocktail Lounge at 206 N. Main Street which he operated with Jim Cassaro. Joseph was brother to Andrew Calcione and he was also a Rockford LCN associate.

January 1963 the liquor license for the Sportsman’s Tap at 1008 S. Main Street was transferred to Rockford LCN member Phil Cannella’s tavern, Phil’s Tavern at 217 E. State Street.

February 1963 Lester Combs was arrested as an inmate of a gambling house along with William Sherod and Roscoe Thomas, 66, who were charged with being keepers of a gambling house at 732 Newport Avenue. This operation was part of the African American policy racket that the Rockford LCN controlled and was overseen by Street Gambling Boss Charles Vince.

January 1963 Phil “The Tailor” Emordeno was arrested when Loren “Sparky” Scholl of Polo, Illinois claimed he had lost between $7,000 and $8,000 in a dice game to Emordeno at the Brass Rail Tavern in Mt. Morris, Illinois along with Charles Vince and Joe “Gramps” Marinelli. The three Rockford men weren’t prosecuted but Scholl paid a fine for gambling.

July 1963 The Rockford Athletic Club was raided for a card and dice operation. Phil “The Tailor” Emordeno was listed as the operator of the game.
October 1963 Frank Geraci married Priscilla Salamone in Rockford. Geraci’s name was brought up in the Family Secrets trial as being involved in a gambling operation with Chicago’s Chinatown Crew.

November 1963 Rockford LCN member Giuseppe Guttilla died
April 1963 Rockford bookmaker Joseph LaFranka was indicted in Denver, Colorado for making false statements to obtain FHA home improvement loans in relation to the Statewide Builders Supply Co. which formerly operated as a home improvement company in Denver.

November 1963 Latin Count members Philip “Moco” Leombruni, Joseph “Floko” Massetti and Ricardo “Stovepipe” Leombruni were arrested on aggravated battery charges and criminal damage to property in relation to attacking 19-year-old Jerry Duglar at a drive in with baseball bats and breaking the windows of his car. The Latin Counts were connected peripherally to the Rockford LCN.

June 1963 Rockford LCN member Joseph “Gramps” Marinelli was arrested by Rockford police on a warrant out of Willows, California warrant charging him with grand theft when he allegedly took a car belonging to Salvagno Motor Company of Orland, California. The car was later recovered.

April 1963 Gaspare Montalto, early Rockford bootlegger died.

January 1963 Frank “Gumba” Saladino was identified by Louis Mays as the man who assaulted him and threw him down a flight of stairs in an alley outside a package liquor store on South Main Street. An unidentified companion also helped Saladino.

August 1963 Frank “Gumba” Saladino was arrested along with Joseph C. Zito, 23, Jerry J. Amore, 20 and Dominic Gaziano, 21 for dragging two men out of their car at Tay and Corbin Streets while the men were waiting for a train to pass and beat them severely.

August 1963 Rockford LCN member Joe Stassi died.

September 1963 Allan Wallbank was arrested for accepting horse bets while on duty as an elevator operator at the Talcott Building, 321 W. State St. The money accepted from the bets were then turned over to Phillip Emordeno on the 13th floor of the building according to the FBI.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:42 pm On the topic of Rockford 1963 here is a little snapshot into Rockford and LCN things that took place that year:

June 1963 Wallace Abraham was employed at the Auburn Street Tap which was mobbed up. Abraham was partners in a restaurant with LCN member Sebastian Gulotta and Abraham died under mysterious circumstances in 1970.

April 1963 Joseph Alonzo was charged with being the keeper of a gambling house while bartending at the Neapolitan Club, 517 15th Avenue. Six unopened bags of numbers tickets, dice, cash and used tickets were found in the raid on the club. Mayor Ben Schleicher closed the club for this violation on April 29th and on April 30th, someone set fire to the business causing over $15,000 damage.

1963 Gaspare Artale immigrated to Rockford from Roccamena, Sicily. He was said to have been a mafia member in that village.

1963 Leroy “Bunky” Bloomquist died. He was a notorious bookmaker and gambler in Rockford in the 1940s.

1963 Frank “Frankie Bush” Buscemi moved from Rockford to Delray Beach, Florida. This Frank Buscemi was first cousins with Rockford LCN underboss Frank Buscemi. Frankie Bush was an early Rockford bootlegger and took many arrests. FBI files noted Frankie Bush meeting with boss Joe Zammuto when Zammuto would vacation in Florida.

April 1963 Rockford LCN underboss Frank Buscemi was fined for licensing violations on pool tables at the Da-Mar Lounge which Sam Ferruggia was the owner. Buscemi owned Stateline Vending which provided the licenses.

April 1963 Andrew Calcione was subpoenaed along with his wife Jill to appear in Federal Court in Chicago for questioning in a Chicago call-girl ring. The operation was said to have generated $750,000 annually and was said to be run by 36 year old Pat Atkins of Chicago. Nine Chicago women were also subpoenaed. Calcione was a top Rockford LCN associate and took many arrests over the years.

January 1, 1963 Joseph Calcione closed the Town Lounge he operated due to the adverse publicity of the Rockford LCN murders of Octavio Martinez and Ann Bergman. The liquor license was transferred to the Surf Cocktail Lounge at 206 N. Main Street which he operated with Jim Cassaro. Joseph was brother to Andrew Calcione and he was also a Rockford LCN associate.

January 1963 the liquor license for the Sportsman’s Tap at 1008 S. Main Street was transferred to Rockford LCN member Phil Cannella’s tavern, Phil’s Tavern at 217 E. State Street.

February 1963 Lester Combs was arrested as an inmate of a gambling house along with William Sherod and Roscoe Thomas, 66, who were charged with being keepers of a gambling house at 732 Newport Avenue. This operation was part of the African American policy racket that the Rockford LCN controlled and was overseen by Street Gambling Boss Charles Vince.

January 1963 Phil “The Tailor” Emordeno was arrested when Loren “Sparky” Scholl of Polo, Illinois claimed he had lost between $7,000 and $8,000 in a dice game to Emordeno at the Brass Rail Tavern in Mt. Morris, Illinois along with Charles Vince and Joe “Gramps” Marinelli. The three Rockford men weren’t prosecuted but Scholl paid a fine for gambling.

July 1963 The Rockford Athletic Club was raided for a card and dice operation. Phil “The Tailor” Emordeno was listed as the operator of the game.
October 1963 Frank Geraci married Priscilla Salamone in Rockford. Geraci’s name was brought up in the Family Secrets trial as being involved in a gambling operation with Chicago’s Chinatown Crew.

April 1963 Rockford bookmaker Joseph LaFranka was indicted in Denver, Colorado for making false statements to obtain FHA home improvement loans in relation to the Statewide Builders Supply Co. which formerly operated as a home improvement company in Denver.

November 1963 Latin Count members Philip “Moco” Leombruni, Joseph “Floko” Massetti and Ricardo “Stovepipe” Leombruni were arrested on aggravated battery charges and criminal damage to property in relation to attacking 19-year-old Jerry Duglar at a drive in with baseball bats and breaking the windows of his car. The Latin Counts were connected peripherally to the Rockford LCN.

June 1963 Rockford LCN member Joseph “Gramps” Marinelli was arrested by Rockford police on a warrant out of Willows, California warrant charging him with grand theft when he allegedly took a car belonging to Salvagno Motor Company of Orland, California. The car was later recovered.

January 1963 Frank “Gumba” Saladino was identified by Louis Mays as the man who assaulted him and threw him down a flight of stairs in an alley outside a package liquor store on South Main Street. An unidentified companion also helped Saladino.

August 1963 Frank “Gumba” Saladino was arrested along with Joseph C. Zito, 23, Jerry J. Amore, 20 and Dominic Gaziano, 21 for dragging two men out of their car at Tay and Corbin Streets while the men were waiting for a train to pass and beat them severely.

September 1963 Allan Wallbank was arrested for accepting horse bets while on duty as an elevator operator at the Talcott Building, 321 W. State St. The money accepted from the bets were then turned over to Phillip Emordeno on the 13th floor of the building according to the FBI.
This is great, man. You should have like a web app “Today in Rockford LCN History”.

Nowhere else to post this, so I’m putting it here. It may not be news to you, but it was to me, that the Gennas were linked to Beloit, Belvidere, and Rockford. After Angelo Genna’s murder, the Rockford press reported that Chicago police had uncovered evidence that the “tentacles” of the Gennas’ bootlegging empire extended throughout the Rockford area, with numerous contacts and phone calls between Angelo Genna and a number of men in the Rockford area (they also found links to Omaha, Louisville, NYC, Philly, and Detroit — all of these seemed to have been non-Italians running businesses linked to bootlegging operations, such as grain suppliers). Investigators also believed that at the time of his death, Angelo Genna was attempting to bribe Beloit police to secure the acquittal of a kid named Tony Marino, who had been picked up on murder charges. Marino was Marsalese, and from what I’ve seen there was a significant colony of Marsalesi in Beloit (which makes sense, given that we know a bunch of Marsalesi also settled in that area in the later second wave of immigration). Angelo’s contacts in Beloit were the DiGirolamo brothers, stated to be relatives of Marino who operated a restaurant there. It was further reported that Mike Genna and another Chicago gangster given as “Hightower” Danks had been operating in Beloit, pulling robberies in WI.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great breakdown, Cavita.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:18 am
cavita wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:42 pm On the topic of Rockford 1963 here is a little snapshot into Rockford and LCN things that took place that year:

This is great, man. You should have like a web app “Today in Rockford LCN History”.

Nowhere else to post this, so I’m putting it here. It may not be news to you, but it was to me, that the Gennas were linked to Beloit, Belvidere, and Rockford. After Angelo Genna’s murder, the Rockford press reported that Chicago police had uncovered evidence that the “tentacles” of the Gennas’ bootlegging empire extended throughout the Rockford area, with numerous contacts and phone calls between Angelo Genna and a number of men in the Rockford area (they also found links to Omaha, Louisville, NYC, Philly, and Detroit — all of these seemed to have been non-Italians running businesses linked to bootlegging operations, such as grain suppliers). Investigators also believed that at the time of his death, Angelo Genna was attempting to bribe Beloit police to secure the acquittal of a kid named Tony Marino, who had been picked up on murder charges. Marino was Marsalese, and from what I’ve seen there was a significant colony of Marsalesi in Beloit (which makes sense, given that we know a bunch of Marsalesi also settled in that area in the later second wave of immigration). Angelo’s contacts in Beloit were the DiGirolamo brothers, stated to be relatives of Marino who operated a restaurant there. It was further reported that Mike Genna and another Chicago gangster given as “Hightower” Danks had been operating in Beloit, pulling robberies in WI.
That Genna angle is very interesting- I didn't know about their Rockford connections but then again, it's not surprising. Joe DiGirolamo and his brother Domenico were noted as being very close to the Rockford LCN in FBI files and Joe especially took many bootlegging arrests. Apparently when he immigrated to the United States he first went to his brother Nicolo in Detroit.
As you know, the cities of Beloit and South Beloit are heavily Marsala immigrants and they all gravitated to that area. I do show some Marino guys getting arrested for bootlegging but had never heard of this Tony Marino.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Visiting Rockford 1973

After the December 1968 gambling and liquor inquiry which called many Rockford LCN members and associates before the Grand Jury, boss Joe Zammuto ordered the family to "keep their heads down" according to FBI files. There was a noticeable decrease in law enforcement arrests on family members for a while, but there were still a few. Here are some interesting notes regarding the family from 1973:

January 17, 1973 Rockford LCN member Joseph “Joma” Maggio was sentenced to three years in prison following his conviction on mail fraud charges in a scheme to defraud boat owners in Alabama. His associates James Schwartz and William Blake were also given three years apiece as well.

February 8, 1973 Rockford LCN capo Charles Vince was released from the U.S. penitentiary in Sandstone, Minnesota. Vince was arrested in February 1971 on extortion charges in that he threatened Dr. Albert Ottow, a Beloit, Wisconsin physician if he wasn’t given $2,000. Ottow had performed at least ten abortions for Vince under threat of death from 1968 to 1970.

March 1973 Michele Galluzzo and his brother Natale immigrated to Rockford from Aragona, Sicily. The brothers would become Rockford LCN fronts and associates through their pizzerias and their brother was Salvatore, reputed boss of the Rockford family.

April 25, 1973 James “Jimmy” Capicotte, a Rockford LCN associate, was found guilty of receiving stolen property from an August 1972 indictment charging he fenced loot from various burglaries in the Rockford area. He faced a 1-10-year prison term but was given three years’ probation.

May 22, 1973 Joseph Angileri was arrested for pimping two women out of the Viking Tap, 1302 Broadway which he co-owned with Vince Sciame. Sciame claimed he knew of the arrangement Angileri had with the women but wanted no part of it. Angileri was the son of Vito Angileri, an alleged mafia member who died in Rockford in 1970. It was also rumored that Joseph was connected to the Rockford LCN as a pimp.

July 16, 1973 former Rockford LCN underboss Gaspare Calo died in Casteldaccia, Sicily. Calo had moved back to his native Sicily in October 1961 and Frank Buscemi had taken his position.

September 28, 1973 Sam Rinaldo was sentenced to 60 days work release time and two years’ probation from his October 1972 arrest on receiving stolen property. Rinaldo had been under surveillance for fencing loot from Rockford area burglaries at his business, Sonny Boy Bakery. Authorities recovered three vans full of stolen merchandise. It was alleged but not proven that Rinaldo was connected to the Rockford LCN in this operation. Rinaldo would be arrested again in 1978 for receiving stolen property.

November 20, 1973 Rockford LCN associate, gambler and bookmaker James “Jimmy the Greek” Pollos died in Rockford. He had taken arrests going back to 1933 and catered to the Greek population in Rockford.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:41 pm May 22, 1973 Joseph Angileri was arrested for pimping two women out of the Viking Tap, 1302 Broadway which he co-owned with Vince Sciame. Sciame claimed he knew of the arrangement Angileri had with the women but wanted no part of it. Angileri was the son of Vito Angileri, an alleged mafia member who died in Rockford in 1970. It was also rumored that Joseph was connected to the Rockford LCN as a pimp.
I note that you state that Vito Angileri was alleged to have been a member; was it alleged that he was specifically a Rockford member?

I note that Vito Angileri was from Marsala. There were also a bunch of Marsalesi Angileris in the Taylor St Patch in Chicago -- we've already seen before that the Gennas had ties to the Rockford region. In the 1940s, there was a Marsales' Thomas Angileri from Taylor St who was busted for hijacking cigarette trucks with a gang of guys that included Leo Pepitone (also Marsales' and likely a cousin of Thomas). Later, a Salvatore Angileri was alleged to have been affiliated with the Buccieri/Taylor St crew and seems to have been the grandson of a Salvatore Angileri from Marsala.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:31 pm
cavita wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:41 pm May 22, 1973 Joseph Angileri was arrested for pimping two women out of the Viking Tap, 1302 Broadway which he co-owned with Vince Sciame. Sciame claimed he knew of the arrangement Angileri had with the women but wanted no part of it. Angileri was the son of Vito Angileri, an alleged mafia member who died in Rockford in 1970. It was also rumored that Joseph was connected to the Rockford LCN as a pimp.
I note that you state that Vito Angileri was alleged to have been a member; was it alleged that he was specifically a Rockford member?

I note that Vito Angileri was from Marsala. There were also a bunch of Marsalesi Angileris in the Taylor St Patch in Chicago -- we've already seen before that the Gennas had ties to the Rockford region. In the 1940s, there was a Marsales' Thomas Angileri from Taylor St who was busted for hijacking cigarette trucks with a gang of guys that included Leo Pepitone (also Marsales' and likely a cousin of Thomas). Later, a Salvatore Angileri was alleged to have been affiliated with the Buccieri/Taylor St crew and seems to have been the grandson of a Salvatore Angileri from Marsala.
I've heard from a few old timers that personally knew Angileri stated he was a member in Marsala before coming to the U.S. Whether his membership transferred to Rockford, I don't know.
Most of the Marsala immigrants to Rockford settled in the Beloit, Wisconsin and South Beloit, Illinois area. I believe after Aragona, the next highest population of Sicilians in the Rockford area come from Marsala.