Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by B. »

Appreciate you tracking the finer details of the case. Wonder if they're angling for a plea deal where he can avoid admitting association with an organized group -- no idea how that works.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 pm Appreciate you tracking the finer details of the case. Wonder if they're angling for a plea deal where he can avoid admitting association with an organized group -- no idea how that works.
I don’t his lawyers are looking for a plea deal where he doesn’t have to admit OC involvement, rather a deal so IOC material doesn’t come up at trial.

In his attorneys’ previous attempt to have IOC language removed, prosecutors successfully argued that the case doesn’t hinge on his IOC involvement and they are not going prove that Gerace and others are members and/or associates of OC - rather that Bongiovanni believed these individuals to be members and/or associates of IOC and therefor should be included in the indictment.

In my opinion, Gerace's lawyers' goal is to keep the information from the grand jury that the government has on IOC in Buffalo from coming out. I have heard that the grand jury material implicates some pretty important people in Buffalo. I’ve also heard that LE has been put off and upset about Coehn’s comments about the buffalo mob being dead in 2017 because it has reduced their credibility and made their job more difficult in this case. (Take that with a grain of salt-it’s street talk baby.)

From Gerace’s motion:
On August 13, 2021 the prosecution submitted its written response to Mr. Gerace's pre-trial motions [Doc. 178]. In its response, the prosecution stated as follows:
"t is of no consequence in this case whether defendant Gerace or others were, in fact, members or associates of IOC - and the government will not argue that defendant Gerace or others were, in fact, members or associates of IOC."
The prosecution argued that it was relevant with regard to co-defendant Bongiovanni's knowledge or belief that individuals were either a member or associate of IOC [Doc. 178, p. 5]. The prosecution contended that as it was relevant as to Bongiovanni's state of mind, it should remain in the indictment "regardless of the prejudice that flows from it" [Id.].
On August 27, 2021 Mr. Gerace's reply memorandum was filed [Doc. 185]. The reply addressed both the motion to strike and the motion for grand jury disclosure [Doc. 185, pp. 1-2, 5-6]. Attached to that reply memorandum were a series of news articles concerning the investigation that resulted in Mr. Gerace's indictment and the fact that according to the media, this investigation related to "organized crime" [Doc. 185, Ex. A].
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Seems like the prosecutor initially threw put the IOC/LCN allegations and, when pressed by the defense, walked it back with: "What is relevant in this case is what defendant Bongiovanni's motives, knowledge, and beliefs were, and not whether there is actually an organization called the Buffalo LCN Family, mafia, or otherwise."
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Bongiovanni's "motives, knowledge, and beliefs" would have come from both sides of the law given he had personal relationships with certain criminals and was issued a warning from LE about one of them being a possible Buffalo member / associate. It's interesting either way if a corrupt federal agent with access to both criminal gossip and LE intelligence had the impression he was associating with mafia figures.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

This seems pretty significant from Nickle’s link (thanks for sharing it):
In its response, the prosecution stated as follows:

”It is of no consequence in this case whether defendant Gerace or others were, in fact, members or associates of IOC - and the government will not argue that defendant Gerace or others were, in fact, members or associates of IOC."
I’m not a lawyer, but it seems like if the DA had solid evidence that Gerace was a made member of the Buffalo family, they’d want to include that in the trial, right? It seems like they’d want to turn it into a RICO case if Gerace was indeed kicking up money to Todaro and/or someone else.

Or, it could be that the DA doesn’t want all of the evidence they have to come out during the discovery process because there’s still potentially more indictments to come in the future (i.e. they’re still investigating Todaro, etc).

Thanks Nickle for sharing!
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

stubbs wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:53 pm This seems pretty significant from Nickle’s link (thanks for sharing it):
In its response, the prosecution stated as follows:

”It is of no consequence in this case whether defendant Gerace or others were, in fact, members or associates of IOC - and the government will not argue that defendant Gerace or others were, in fact, members or associates of IOC."
I’m not a lawyer, but it seems like if the DA had solid evidence that Gerace was a made member of the Buffalo family, they’d want to include that in the trial, right? It seems like they’d want to turn it into a RICO case if Gerace was indeed kicking up money to Todaro and/or someone else.

Or, it could be that the DA doesn’t want all of the evidence they have to come out during the discovery process because there’s still potentially more indictments to come in the future (i.e. they’re still investigating Todaro, etc).

Thanks Nickle for sharing!
Nice analysis. In my opinion I think the latter is what is happening with the DA’s office. On a number of occasions they’ve mentioned this is an ongoing investigation into OC in Buffalo.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

NickleCity wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 pm Came across some interesting information on Coppola's becoming the Assistant DA in WNY and the US Attorney that hired him. He was hired by Dennis Vacco in February of 1992 and assigned to prosecute narcotics cases. More importantly, this created a bit of a stir in Buffalo's legal community. Dan Herbeck writes:
"Vacco got some heat for hiring Coppola. Federal prosecution jobs are much sought-after in Buffalo.Federal prosecution jobs are much sought-after in Buffalo. Some lawyers felt that, by hiring the inexperienced Coppola, Vacco was pandering to the media.”
Even more interesting is that Murdered Mob Boss Joe Colombo's son Chris is recorded indicating he had Vacco in his pocket when he was the NYS Attorney General. The New York Daily Newswrites:
ACCUSED WISEGUY Christopher Colombo had his favorites among the state's top prosecutors, and Eliot Spitzer wasn't among them. "That Spitzer is the worst," Colombo told a crooked contractor whom Spitzer, as state attorney general, was investigating for swindling $1.1 million from elderly clients in 2001. The contractor was wearing a wire and recorded Colombo - the star of the short-lived reality show "House Arrest" - raving about Spitzer's predecessor, Dennis Vacco. "Vacco was the best," Colombo told John Sitterly during a 2001 meeting at an Orange County jewelry store. "I had a hook in him. And he [Spitzer] had [it out for me] because I backed Vacco, right, at a fund-raiser."
See https://www.nydailynews.com/news/spitze ... e-1.262462

The New York Post wrote:
“Spitzer is the worst. Vacco was the best. He didn’t care about anything. I had a hook in him,” Colombo tells an alleged loan-sharking victim in a shocking Jan. 19, 2001, recording, played yesterday in Manhattan federal court.
See https://nypost.com/2007/01/25/mob-boss- ... in-albany/

If it is true that Chris Colombo had "a hook in" Vacco while he was NYS Attorney General, one can't help if he was compromised by the mob in Buffalo while he was the US DA for WNY.
Totally forgot that Fino had written a whole chapter on Vacco called, "Corrupt Justice – Dennis Vacco." After reading this again I am more convinced than ever that he was mobbed up--and really makes me wonder about his hiring of Lee Coppola given Coppola's family history with the mob in WNY. Fino writes:
In the spring of 1988, I learned that New York Senator Alfonse D’Amato was going to have President Ronald Reagan nominate Dennis Vacco to the position of United States Attorney for Western New York. This revelation took place at a luncheon meeting I was having with former Congressman Jack Kemp’s assistant Russell Gugino, Joseph Cardinale and Victor Sansanese. They let me know about the pending appointment and were totally elated regarding it, exclaiming the benefits they could reap from having a friend in such a high position.

I answered them I didn’t know much about him. Gugino retorted, “He is our guy and a great friend,” and that Jimmy Cosentino, Tommy Reynolds (former member of the Erie County legislature and later chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee), Lou Billittier (owner of Chef’s Restaurant), Bob Gioia (Gioia Pasta), Louie Russo (Sorrento Cheese), Harry Williams, Larry Reger (and someone whose name I cannot remember) implored Senator D’Amato to present Vacco’s name to the president for nominating. Gugino went on about Vacco and how he was extremely close to Vacco’s father Carmen, the chairman of the town of Brant Republican Party. Additionally, some in the Democratic Party agreed to go along with the appointment and would not cause any problems for the Republican.

Sometime right after that Jimmy Cosentino and James “Harry” Williams sent word that they wanted to see me. When we met they asked me to gather up a group of people to attend an event they were holding for Senator D’Amato (I think the amount was $1,000 per person), that would be held at Cosentino’s (James “Harry” Williams was a secret part owner) Executive Resort Hotel located near the Buffalo airport. Williams said, “Don’t worry about the cost; the tickets are already paid for. Just bring bodies.” He handed me around 20 tickets which I gave to some of the employees of Hazardous Waste Management.

At the event Jimmy Cosentino was walking around with the senator and introducing him to his friends and many of the other attendees. After guiding D’Amato to me, Cosentino did not know that we already knew each other and introduced me. D’Amato acknowledged that he already knew me and that we had met on a number of occasions. Then both D’Amato and Cosentino introduced me to Dennis Vacco and his father who were standing nearby. We shook hands and they greeted me in a very friendly way but no other words were uttered. While the senator was talking to Vacco, Cosentino pulled me aside and whispered in my ear that Vacco was going to be the new US Attorney. After apprising Cosentino that I already heard of the disclosure, he went on to say how he, together with New York City entrepreneur Phil Basile and Uncle Joe (referring to Joseph Todaro Sr.) helped make sure that the senator appointed Vacco. Cosentino and the senator continued making the rounds and after personally greeting some of the other guests I went over to sign the guest book. While looking over the names I noticed that Vacco signed in as the United States Attorney even though he did not hold that position.

His selection as the new US Attorney for the Western New York district was, to say the least; very disturbing news for me and immediately after the reception I let the FBI and SA Steven Naum know what I previously relayed to them was, in fact, true. This was a disaster just waiting to happen and in my opinion was going to cause serious consequences for me as well as the numerous ongoing investigations.

Naum still did not believe it and said, “The next Western New York US Attorney is going to be Roger Williams.”

In a later conversation I had with Joe Cardinale he stated that it was Russ Gugino who brought Dennis Vacco into the fold. Sometime after that I went and talked to Conservative Party Chairman Bill Delmont, who was, for many years, a very dear and close friend, and I always liked him for keeping confidentiality. He confirmed that Vacco was indeed going to get the position and that he was concerned about my safety.

Then it happened, and on my birthday, June 1, 1988, United States Attorney General Edwin Meese named Dennis Vacco as the new United States Attorney. Oh my God! I thought to myself. How does the FBI keep my role secret from a guy I know is the enemy?
When I get a chance I am going to post some more quotes about Fino's take on the riff between the FBI and the USA's office that I already mentioned. Additionally, I will post about some quotes from Fino about Vacco changing the focus of the NYS OC task force away from investigating TOC toward toward gang activity while he was NYS Attorney General and some of the other cases he was involved with.

To wet your whistle here is what Former Buffalo SAC Langford later said about Vacco at a 2008 meeting :
So I was there two years as SAC and then I had a run-in with the US Attorney. We were investigating a guy who had a lot of OC connections and it turned out he was very good friends with the US Attorney, Dennis Vacco. I’m sure Vacco would have a different take on it. But said, “Dennis, you do not need to be running around with this guy.” He said, “You don’t tell me what to do.” I said, “Well, I’m just telling you.” And we really had a go at it and it got really nasty and finally he wrote the bureau and said, “I can’t work with this guy anymore, he doesn’t need to be SAC.” The bureau went along with it and I really fought it; so I was transferred out unhappily down to the bureau. Well, they transferred me to the Career Development Section which was just starting up with this consultant to develop a whole new promotions plan for the bureau.
According to Fino the gentleman whom the FBI warned ASA Sacco about having out with was Jimmy Cosentino. Jimmy owned the Executive Inn complex that included the Playboy Club and Club 747. I think you will recall that Todaro Sr. used that club a lot and was involved in a fight there as well. Scott B. had a good article on that fight. See: https://gangsterreport.com/buffalo-mafi ... b-scuffle/

Joey Todaro III also got in a fight there many years later, however at that time it was called the Radisson complex but still owned by the Cosentino's.
Joseph E. Todaro, 21, of 330 Hunters Lane, Amherst, was charged with second-degree assault following the incident at Celebrities Nite Club, which is part of the Ramada Renaissance Hotel, 4243 Genesee Ave., Cheektowaga.

William Gorman, a bouncer, swore out a felony complaint accusing Todaro of clubbing him on the side of the head with a bat at 1:33 a.m. Saturday.

Todaro is the son of Joseph Todaro, 43, named in an FBI affidavit filed in State Supreme Court last year as the boss of the 45 top members of La Cosa Nostra and their associates in Buffalo.
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/charges-fi ... 852b5.html
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

The paper had him as boss when that was not true in 89
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Newyorkempire wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:02 am The paper had him as boss when that was not true in 89
They believed he was acting boss in '89 while Sr. ran things from Florida while semi-retired.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

During the Raid on Bongiovanni’s home HSI investigators asked Bongiovanni about he and his wife’s relationship with the former owner of the Soho nightclub/Restaurant/bar. See picture below:

About Soho Restaurant the Buffalo news wrote:
A $400,000 bar and restaurant is planned for the corner of West Chippewa and Franklin streets, the first new construction in the area since it began taking off in the early 1990s as a metropolitan entertainment destination.

Three partners, including an Arizona restaurateur, plan to open the "Soho Bar & Grill" this August, a 3,500-square-foot building that will carry an urban theme borrowed from the famous artists' district in Lower Manhattan.

….Snip

Those involved in the project are Johnnie Amoia, Frank Parisi and Angelo Natale Jr. Amoia and Parisi will be the operators, and Natale will be an investor. Amoia, a Buffalo native living in Scottsdale, Ariz., operates restaurants in Arizona and California.
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/first-new- ... b2e1e.html

James “Jay” Manno has managed and operated the bar since it opened in ’99.
Back on Chippewa, Jay Manno, manager of Soho, said the new rules might actually help places like his "because we won't have to get into price wars.
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/bar-owners ... c9759.html

In 2013 Manno became the sole owner of Soho according to a Buffalo News article. It wrote:
James “Jay” Manno worked at many Buffalo nightspots starting in 1989 as a barback at the old Stuffed Mushroom on Main Street before taking jobs at the former Pier Restaurant, Croc Bar and Coliseum.

Snip…

Last year, he was part of a $600,000 makeover that transformed Soho Bar to Soho Burger Bar – not surprising considering Manno comes from a family of butchers. In September he became Soho’s sole owner.
Since federal investigators questioned Bongiovanni about the former owner who appears to be a member of the Amoia family… Here is some information on the Amoia's

Sam Amoia Jr (Telemarketing: Pieri’s Grandson)
Joe Amoia is Sam’s Dad
Mark Amoia cousin of Joe Amoia Jr (Graziadei Ring/Telemarketing Vegas)
Joe Amoia Jr (Graziadei Ring in Vegas/Telemarketing)

See: https://buffalonews.com/news/buffalo-mo ... 3ada6.html
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/raids-on-t ... 14983.html
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/9-are-indi ... 525d9.html
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/testimony- ... c7518.html
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/ex-telemar ... ea4cc.html
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/man-senten ... 92ce9.html
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/executive- ... b221f.html

Also, remember Judge Grisanti is related by marriage to the Amoia's and Vacanti's and his stepson is rumored to have been involved in the murder of Monty Masimmi. by Sam Vacanti. Remember Bob Vacanti was apart of the cocaine pipeline from Vegas. (misspelled Vaccanti by the Buffalo News).
Indicted on felony charges of cocaine conspiracy are:

Joseph Amoia, 38, a Buffalo native who has been working in telemarketing in Las Vegas. Amoia was charged with possession of nine pounds of cocaine in Las Vegas in 1990, but a Nevada judge dismissed the charge, saying police had acted improperly.

Mark Amoia, 44, Joseph Amoia's cousin, now serving time in a federal drug case.

Peter Cammilleri, 42, of Buffalo, a construction worker on disability leave.

Ronald Carlisle, 53, of Cheektowaga, identified by police as a longtime burglar, enforcer and organized-crime associate.

Jose DeCastro, identified by the FBI as a major cocaine supplier from Colombia. DeCastro has been sought since a previous drug indictment in 1992 and is believed to be hiding in Colombia, Bruce said.

Dino Miosi, 39, of Kenmore, a construction worker.

Russell Tirone, 55, of Kenmore, employment unknown.

Robert C. Vaccanti, 39, a former Buffalo property appraiser, now living in Las Vegas.

Thomas A. Verrastro, 51, of Buffalo, a factory worker.
See: https://buffalonews.com/news/9-are-indi ... 525d9.html

About the Chippewa Entertainment District

Many of the restaurants and bars in this area are owned by people who are thought be in/and/or associated with the Buffalo mob. For example Todaro, Mauro and Paladino of Ellicot Development partnered in the development of bars and restaurants in the area of Chippewa and Delaware.
We definitely want to build off the excitement of Chippewa Street," Todaro added. "It's the location that really presented the opportunity for us.”

Besides leasing The Shebeen space, the quartet also has leased the former M&T Bank branch, at the corner of Delaware Avenue and Chippewa Street and almost next door to The Shebeen.

Todaro and Paladino said they are considering options for the space including an upscale bar/restaurant.
See https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto ... tory7.html

After falling into disrepair and becoming an area known for its vice and sex trade this area underwent a significant redevelopment during the Griffin and Masiello administrations with an infusion of cash from Buffalo and Canada. See: https://buffalonews.com/news/downtown-d ... 1236a.html
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

NickleCity wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:50 am
Newyorkempire wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:02 am The paper had him as boss when that was not true in 89
They believed he was acting boss in '89 while Sr. ran things from Florida while semi-retired.
Ok. They left out "acting" if in fact he was. But Sr. was still official at that point I have too believe.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Newyorkempire wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:44 am
Ok. They left out "acting" if in fact he was. But Sr. was still official at that point I have too believe.
I guess that was my assumption about acting boss handling the day to day operations. The News wrote this about Agent Naum’s belief about Jr. in ‘89 as well:
The Naum statement says Joseph Todaro Jr., 43, of Amherst, is now running the local arm of La Cosa Nostra because his father, who is 65 and who splits his time between his Tonawanda home and Florida, is in "semi-retirement."
I assume he was acting or front bosss doing day to day in Buffalo keeping heat off Senior to handle mafia politics between families down in Florida. But who knows, I could be wrong on that account.
Last edited by NickleCity on Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

NickleCity wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:11 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:44 am
I guess that was my assumption about acting boss handling the day to day operations. The News wrote this about Agent Naum belief about Jr. in ‘89 as well:
The Naum statement says Joseph Todaro Jr., 43, of Amherst, is now running the local arm of La Cosa Nostra because his father, who is 65 and who splits his time between his Tonawanda home and Florida, is in "semi-retirement."
I assume he was acting or front bosss doing day to day in Buffalo keeping heat off Senior to handle mafia politics between families down in Florida. But who knows, I could be wrong on that account.
+1
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

A little more info on development in the Chippewa Entertainment District where the Soho formerly owned by the Amoia’s is located
NickleCity wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:27 am
Many of the restaurants and bars in this area are owned by people who are thought be in/and/or associated with the Buffalo mob. For example Todaro, Mauro and Paladino of Ellicot Development partnered in the development of bars and restaurants in the area of Chippewa and Delaware.
We definitely want to build off the excitement of Chippewa Street," Todaro added. "It's the location that really presented the opportunity for us.”

Besides leasing The Shebeen space, the quartet also has leased the former M&T Bank branch, at the corner of Delaware Avenue and Chippewa Street and almost next door to The Shebeen.

Todaro and Paladino said they are considering options for the space including an upscale bar/restaurant.
See https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto ... tory7.html
Charles Mauro appears to be the son of Sonny Nicholas Mauro who was convicted of bookmarking and fraud for the Todaro crime family. Sonny apparentlymade the owner of Atkas glass give his son Charles a no show job so he would receive insurance.
Bolognese testified that Mauro convinced him to place his son Charles Mauro on the payroll of Atlas Auto Glass as a “no-show” employee so that Charles would have health insurance.  
See: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1266471.html
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

NickleCity wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 pm
NYS Attorney General Dennis Vacco shook up NYS OC Task Force so it didn't focus so much on Italians.
“Vacco, 42, said he has been taking an especially close look at the State Organized Crime Task Force, headed by Goldstock, and the State Medicaid Fraud Task Force."I think we can do a much better job in both areas," Vacco said.

Goldstock, 50, director of the Organized Crime Unit, could be one of the first victims of the shake-up. A deputy attorney general, Goldstock is jointly appointed by the governor and the attorney general. The appointment may be rescinded at any time.

Goldstock has become a national figure in the area of mob prosecutions and is frequently seen giving expert commentary on ABC's Nightline and other network news shows. He heads an office of about 100 people.”

“Vacco said he would like the task force to have more involvement in prosecutions of organized crime groups other than Italians, such as the LA Boys street gang in Buffalo.””
See https://buffalonews.com/news/vacco-is-p ... 9851a.html
Here is what Fino had to say about Vacco's election to NYS Attorney General's office:

"In 1993, Dennis Vacco was removed as US Attorney by the incoming Clinton administration. With the support of the Williams-Reger-Cosentino-Mob team, he ran for the office of, and became, the New York State Attorney General in 1994. As attorney general-elect, word was sent to Ronald Goldstock that the state Organized Crime Task Force that he headed for 13 years was going to be dismantled and he dismissed. Not waiting for his dismissal, Goldstock resigned on December 12, 1994. Vacco didn't like that Goldstock's unit was autonomous and out of the attorney general’s control. What an evil move this was, I thought; everyone in the mob as well as his Buffalo pals knew and feared Ronnie Goldstock. This was a great day for the mob, James “Harry” Williams and all involved, plus payback for all the trouble the crime fighter had caused them. They must have been overjoyed."