Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Has Buffalo absorbed the Genovese family yet?

(I mean, you never know. They could be doing it behind the scenes. There's no way to prove they aren't!)
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I wonder why Violi chose to go with Buffalo instead of The Bonnanos?

Debate aside on whether there’s a family or not. I’d imagine what’s left of Buffalo is significantly less than What the Bonnanos have
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Dave65827 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:42 pm I wonder why Violi chose to go with Buffalo instead of The Bonnanos?

Debate aside on whether there’s a family or not. I’d imagine what’s left of Buffalo is significantly less than What the Bonnanos have
It's strange his brother was apparently given a choice, but Domenico may not have had a choice. He was a Buffalo associate with uncles in the Buffalo family. Obviously it also gave him a sharper upward trajectory, being quickly promoted to underboss over the Ontario area.

Guys being made into the Colombo family don't sit there saying, "I should join the Gambino family because they're bigger and better." In almost every case, you get made where you belong and Violi belonged to Buffalo.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

The Buffalo New posted this story about a NYS Supreme Court Judge who was hit by a freight train: https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crim ... 66ee0.html

It caught my attention because Dan Herbeck and Lou Michel were the authors--not their type of story. They are on the The News' watchdog team and have been investigating and reporting on the Feds inquiry into organized crime in Buffalo.

Then I remembered something Peter Gerace's ex-wife posted on Facebook on March 1. She wrote:
I was illegally married by State Supreme Court Justice John Michalski on Sept 18th the last know Don of the mafia bday. Pharaohs anniversary party was the 17th. I was wasted on jager, woke up married and the 24hr wait period was skipped. His brother Anthony was a witness who wasn't there and his name was forged along with a major medical surgery lie. This should have never happened. Hell began and omg what I've been through.

Today, she posted the following:

Last edited by NickleCity on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 pm
Dave65827 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:42 pm I wonder why Violi chose to go with Buffalo instead of The Bonnanos?

It's strange his brother was apparently given a choice, but Domenico may not have had a choice. He was a Buffalo associate with uncles in the Buffalo family. Obviously it also gave him a sharper upward trajectory, being quickly promoted to underboss over the Ontario area.

Guys being made into the Colombo family don't sit there saying, "I should join the Gambino family because they're bigger and better." In almost every case, you get made where you belong and Violi belonged to Buffalo.
I guess you’re right. I’m interested about Domenico a interesting character north of the border. I wonder when he get out didn’t the Musitanos get 10 yrs for murder and got out in six lol I’d imagine you’d get released earlier from a 8 year drug trafficking bid
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Dave65827 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:58 pm
B. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 pm

I guess you’re right. I’m interested about Domenico a interesting character north of the border. I wonder when he get out didn’t the Musitanos get 10 yrs for murder and got out in six lol I’d imagine you’d get released earlier from a 8 year drug trafficking bid
Yeah, didn't meant to sound sharp with you in my response by the way. There are so many interesting questions.

Given Todaro's emphasis on proper protocol, he must have consented to giving Giuseppe Violi a choice in where he got made.

It would mean the Buffalo family had an agreement with some element of the Bonanno family, presumably in Canada, about Joe Violi. I can't imagine the Buffalo family blindly offered Violi a choice without an agreement with the Bonannos.

Like I asked earlier, it's a big question who in the Bonanno family would have sponsored and supervised Violi. It doesn't seem like it would be Morena's NYC crew, as Domenico Violi told Morena about it like it was a Canadian arrangement or otherwise not connected to Morena's situation.

The most logical choice is that the Calabrian faction of Montreal would have facilitated it given Paolo Violi's history with that decina. We know Domenico Violi had a positive relationship with the three Montreal figures he mentioned to Morena so they are def candidates for bringing Joe Violi into the Bonanno family unless there is another connection we don't know about (always possible).
elasticman
On Record

Post by elasticman »

Yes I'd say there's absolutely no chance that any family in Buffalo could be as substantial as any of the five families.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Associates don't get to choose who makes them outside of rare special arrangements (Joe Violi). The five families don't evaluate the "viability" of another family when they make an introduction or follow protocol, and vice versa, unless a formal decision has been made to not recognize them (which is usually temporary, i.e. Philly, but also when a family is not legitimate to begin with, i.e. Rochester). Buffalo has never lost formal recognition that we know of and as of the mid-2010s they were recognized by NYC.
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:34 pm Has Buffalo absorbed the Genovese family yet?

(I mean, you never know. They could be doing it behind the scenes. There's no way to prove they aren't!)
Todaro is the secret power behind Barney in FL lol

If you want to stay under the radar , Buffalo locally might be the smarter choice. I don’t think a Buffalo member has ever flipped ? The Bonnanos are hot and full of rats ( the drugs, guns and violence jam them up )

I found it fascinating in the Sunday article that there has never been a RICO charge vs the Buf admin, is that true ? They seem very DL and 9-5 guys. It will be interesting to see how active they have been. TBD, but it’s becoming possible Buf was involved in some recent Canada hits ( nice work B. ) and could have an alliance with the Calabrians- TBD. I keep thinking that the success of the Calabrians world wide has given a jolt in the arm to some USA families recently. Good times for researchers lol
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

TommyNoto wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:30 am
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:34 pm Has Buffalo absorbed the Genovese family yet?

I keep thinking that the success of the Calabrians world wide has given a jolt in the arm to some USA families recently. Good times for researchers lol
This is why I am here :D
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 am @ antimafia

When you posted " Ontario crime group representing Montreal"... I'm admittedly lost here.... whom were you referring to? The Violis?
I dont know why this JUST occurred to me, but is this Big Joe Cuntreras outfit? I keep forgetting the Caruana- Cuntreras had a base of ops in Toronto too. This has to be the Ontario crime group representing Montreal, right? That the Musitanos were warned to stay away from?

Or No?

Also, were the Colluccios in with the Rizzutos? I thought they kinda were.... and that's why they became targets of the Figliomenis, by them hitting Carmine Verduci, thus severing the Mother locale Marina Di Gioiosa Jonica from the Toronto ndrine? Thus increasing the Figliomenis power in Toronto?

But who was targeting the Luppino people? Other Calabrese? A rival clan? Marina Di Gioiosa people? People at odds with the Commisso, or Siderno guys in general?

I'm giving Renaud the benefit here with the Violis, they and Dejardins DID meet with Montagna. But he WAS WAY off with the Dejardins shooting.....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:26 pm Sure it is. In fact it is almost exactly like the Rochester situation 20 years ago with a named Boss, drug dealing, a taped induction ceremony and contacts to the Bonannos and other families. It didn't mean that Rochester and Clevleand were still around or making some big comeback in 1999 anymore than it does Buffalo making some big comeback in 2021.

http://newsmine.org/content.php?ol=secu ... ia-man.txt
Cleveland mobster Anthony Delmonti couldn't believe what he was hearing.

In the summer of 1999, he was winding down a meeting in a hotel room with Rochester, N.Y., mob boss Tommy Marotta about laundering money and moving some cocaine. Delmonti also had a line on some contraband food stamps. They were planning some golf for later . . . then Marotta became curiously quiet.

He suggested "making" Delmonti on the spot.

Delmonti was floored. Get "straightened out" right here, right now? Marotta just stared, tightening his steel-blue eyes. He was the boss, he said. He could do whatever he wanted.

There had been discussions about officially making Delmonti a member of the Mafia. He had been a good "earner" for the Rochester arm of New York City's Bonanno family. Marotta had permission from Delmonti's Cleveland mob boss to make him. But what about the ceremony? Delmonti asked. The sponsor? Burning the holy card? The speeches in Sicilian?

Marotta waved it off. He was still on probation and not supposed to associate with any of the guys. The ceremony was unnecessary. Made guy Joe T. would be the sponsor. He explained to Delmonti what being "made" entailed, its privileges and responsibilities.

This family comes first. Even before Delmonti's own family. No other member could kill him without permission from Marotta. Delmonti would turn over all his earnings to Marotta. He would be getting a share of whatever the family was bringing in. No fooling with drugs. Delmonti was never to mess with the wives or girlfriends of any other made guys. That was sacred. No made guys would ever mess with Delmonti's wife or girlfriend.

Delmonti was in shock. Marotta was a legend. An old-school wiseguy. He did nine years on a racketeering violation in 1987 and survived two different attempts on his life in 1983. He caught eight bullets from a .22 and was still walking.

And now he was officially bringing Delmonti into the family. Emotionally, Delmonti was all over the map. He was awed and humbled. It was something he never expected to happen. It was a wiseguy's dream come true.

Marotta got up from his chair and embraced Delmonti, kissing him on both cheeks. It was done. Marotta said there would be a reception later. Told him to bring his appetite. Pressed for time, Marotta said he had another appointment and left the room.

Delmonti sat dazed for a minute. He went to unlock the door that opened to the adjoining room. He paused, savoring what had just happened. He took a breath, opening the door wide.

"That's riiiiigght!" he said to the five FBI agents who were there with the video equipment. "I'm the big boss now. You saw it."

The agents cheered and high-fived Delmonti. They jokingly kissed his ring and laughed. He was already an outstanding informant. But this was unprecedented. An FBI informant being "made" by a mob boss. And it was all on tape. It was one of the undercover coups of all time. Delmonti was pumped.
That honestly sounds like a ceremony that wouldnt be recognized.... was it?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

eboli wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:36 pm '4/ in 2018 I wrote a report for Jane’s Intelligence Review on #mafia families in #NewYork. Among other things that article said: a) that #Buffalo defunct mafia family was alive; originally #LCN the current functioning might adapt to new times. Local Identity IS NOT business'

That's what Dr. Sergi wrote in the twitter feed shared by calabrianwatch. I find that very interesting. The way she describes it makes me think of how a company goes from private to public to inject more money by luring new investors. The Buffalo crime family's leadership might've opened their doors for other organized crime groups in the region by providing their old LCN connections. By doing so, Buffalo might've created new business opportunities that were otherwise unattainable by either group working on their own. Another aspect is the new blood they allegedly injected that likely rejuvenated a dying organization in just a few short years.

And just like a company that attracts many new investors or merges with another company, over time the way it does business adapts to the changes. If most of the key people in this new Buffalo crime family were unfamiliar with the way Cosa Nostra works until they were made, it certainly affected how they went on about their business. We're having a discussion about a criminal entity that might be less traditional Cosa Nostra and more cosmopolitan in the way it operates. If that's true, we're looking at a precedent and a completely different situation compared to that of the defunct crime families around the country. The historical and geographical prerequisites for the BCF to make this jump were there.

I missed this one.... this is a great post Eboli... I tend to look and think about this stuff like bastardized corporate/ business, your explanation makes a ton of sense...
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Interesting article on Carmine Verducci, lots of personal information.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014 ... ridge.html

“ Verduci’s murder is a loud message to his old associates in the GTA and Hamilton underworld, police officers who specialize in organized crime said Friday.“

“ The slaying comes after several visits to the GTA from two senior members of the old Rizzuto crime family this year.”

“ Verduci headed his own street crew, which was active in the GTA and Hamilton. “He had his own little army of guys,” a police source said.”

“ Verduci was also tied to local Albanian mobsters and the Gambino Mafia family of New York City, according to police.”

The link to the Gambinos/Inzerrillo may provide a link to the Iavarones?
Last edited by SantoClaus on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:20 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:26 pm Sure it is. In fact it is almost exactly like the Rochester situation 20 years ago with a named Boss, drug dealing, a taped induction ceremony and contacts to the Bonannos and other families. It didn't mean that Rochester and Clevleand were still around or making some big comeback in 1999 anymore than it does Buffalo making some big comeback in 2021.

http://newsmine.org/content.php?ol=secu ... ia-man.txt
Cleveland mobster Anthony Delmonti couldn't believe what he was hearing.

In the summer of 1999, he was winding down a meeting in a hotel room with Rochester, N.Y., mob boss Tommy Marotta about laundering money and moving some cocaine. Delmonti also had a line on some contraband food stamps. They were planning some golf for later . . . then Marotta became curiously quiet.

He suggested "making" Delmonti on the spot.

Delmonti was floored. Get "straightened out" right here, right now? Marotta just stared, tightening his steel-blue eyes. He was the boss, he said. He could do whatever he wanted.

There had been discussions about officially making Delmonti a member of the Mafia. He had been a good "earner" for the Rochester arm of New York City's Bonanno family. Marotta had permission from Delmonti's Cleveland mob boss to make him. But what about the ceremony? Delmonti asked. The sponsor? Burning the holy card? The speeches in Sicilian?

Marotta waved it off. He was still on probation and not supposed to associate with any of the guys. The ceremony was unnecessary. Made guy Joe T. would be the sponsor. He explained to Delmonti what being "made" entailed, its privileges and responsibilities.

This family comes first. Even before Delmonti's own family. No other member could kill him without permission from Marotta. Delmonti would turn over all his earnings to Marotta. He would be getting a share of whatever the family was bringing in. No fooling with drugs. Delmonti was never to mess with the wives or girlfriends of any other made guys. That was sacred. No made guys would ever mess with Delmonti's wife or girlfriend.

Delmonti was in shock. Marotta was a legend. An old-school wiseguy. He did nine years on a racketeering violation in 1987 and survived two different attempts on his life in 1983. He caught eight bullets from a .22 and was still walking.

And now he was officially bringing Delmonti into the family. Emotionally, Delmonti was all over the map. He was awed and humbled. It was something he never expected to happen. It was a wiseguy's dream come true.

Marotta got up from his chair and embraced Delmonti, kissing him on both cheeks. It was done. Marotta said there would be a reception later. Told him to bring his appetite. Pressed for time, Marotta said he had another appointment and left the room.

Delmonti sat dazed for a minute. He went to unlock the door that opened to the adjoining room. He paused, savoring what had just happened. He took a breath, opening the door wide.

"That's riiiiigght!" he said to the five FBI agents who were there with the video equipment. "I'm the big boss now. You saw it."

The agents cheered and high-fived Delmonti. They jokingly kissed his ring and laughed. He was already an outstanding informant. But this was unprecedented. An FBI informant being "made" by a mob boss. And it was all on tape. It was one of the undercover coups of all time. Delmonti was pumped.
That honestly sounds like a ceremony that wouldnt be recognized.... was it?
I'll also add, the Violis seem like MUCH more powerful, much more connected than this guy....