Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: RE: Re: Italy: Toronto on brink of mob war

Post by Wiseguy »

Confederate wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:16 am
Lupara wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:57 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote:@Pogo and Wisgeuy.

I think your attacks on johnny Scootch are unwarranted.

The guy is citing legitimate sources for his beliefs. IE a former LE officer who was undercover in the area and a renowned journalist, for his opinions.

He's entitled to legitimately believe there's an operational structure in buffalo involved, basis these sources. The fact we all disagree doesn't give you two the position to ridicule his beliefs as if they were outlandish or unjustified. He's got an opinion, and he can substantiate it.

Isnt that the basis of a good discussion on a forum?
Agreed. Almost always hard to question Wiseguy's and Pogo's solid arguments/facts but try not to squash any potentially interesting discussion. Also, I can hardly remember this on the RD if remembering at all, but so far the impression I got here is that of a decent poster. Try not to scare everyone with a different viewpoint of this board yeah? He sure as hell is not a troll that much I do know.

I find it a little ironic that Wiseguy, after all the bashing of Scott and others who defended Detroit's viability, is now suggesting the family may still be active even though the status of this family is (and always was) comparable to Buffalo. The latest indictment of 'members of the Todaro crime family' is a much stronger evidence of activity than we got from Detroit in recent years. When was the last time 'members of the Detroit crime family' were indicted? Over a decade ago or more?
I don't believe Wiseguy ever said the Detroit Family was defunct to my recollection. He said The Feds stated that Detroit was one of the 10 remaining Families. The issue with Scott was the NUMBER of made men in the Detroit Family which was a lot different than the estimate by the Feds. The Feds stated that Buffalo was no longer a functioning LCN Family several years ago. Two completely seperate issues.
Yes, the reason I say Detroit is arguably still one of the remaining families is because it has been on some lists. But not others. There's conflicting viewpoints. What decides it for me is the cases (or lack thereof) over an extended period of time. Also the fact that we haven't really seen any credible info on a hierarchy in years (I don't consider Scott's charts to be that). What's the two fundamentals of RICO? Continuing criminal activity (as shown in indictments) in behalf of an enterprise (with a hierarchy). I don't think Detroit meets that standard. So if others want to include Detroit because it is on some lists, because of what Scott says, or whatever, fine. I don't.

For Buffalo, we also have a relative lack of cases over an extended period of time. As well as no discernible hierarchy. Both Detroit and Buffalo are rather small in numbers at this point. And you don't see Buffalo on any FBI lists going back years. In fact, I think it's telling that what I would consider to be the last really significant cases for both families occurred in 1996 - the GamTax bust for Detroit and LIUNA 210 for Buffalo.

I've mentioned before a 1992 article that had a list of families the feds were close to "crossing off" -

Cleveland
Denver
Los Angeles
New Orleans
Pittston, Pa.
Rochester, N.Y.
San Francisco
San Jose
St. Louis
Tampa

The same article also listed families that were still considered "powerful" -

New York City (5)
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Chicago
Boston

Isn't it interesting (and consistent) how these 9 same families over 25 years ago are the ones still left today.

Of course, you'll notice these families missing from the article -

Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Milwaukee
Kansas City

With the exception of Milwaukee, which should have been on the crossed off list at that point, those other families were still a factor in the 1990s. Not as strong as the ones considered "powerful" but not ready to be crossed off either. And we saw that born out in cases later in that decade. But it's now 2018. If those families were in a grey area, so to speak, over 25 years ago, where would they logically be today?

As far as discussion, contrary to what some think, I don't believe me, or Pogo, have any desire to stifle it. I think it's more accurate to say we try to keep things within the right context or framework. You want to discuss what's going on in the Buffalo/Canada region? Knock yourself out. Just don't get carried away with jumping to quick conclusions that conflict what we've seen for the last 20 years now.
All roads lead to New York.
antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Italy: Toronto on brink of mob war

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:13 am ^^^^
CBC News will allow you to watch this morning's 11:00 am EST press conference live. I'll try to provide one or more links, especially one that will permit those of you outside Canada to watch.

"Hamilton police to announce arrest in murders of mobster Angelo Musitano, Toronto woman"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.4831119.
Try this link for now:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1325023299884
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 am
Say wiseguys name once and his girlfriend appears!
Wow looks like I hit a nerve with that one. There must be more truth to the statement than I previously thought. In any case you two hammerheads will never stop me from posting what I think agree with it or not you just have to deal with it because that's the way the internet works. I won't break down and rebut what was said point for point because I don't have that kind of time and frankly I don't care enough. Internet beef is not my thing. It's deep fried rainbow cookies and gelato at the feast for me tonight. You two schnooks enjoy your egg noodles and ketchup.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:02 am
antimafia wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:13 am ^^^^
CBC News will allow you to watch this morning's 11:00 am EST press conference live. I'll try to provide one or more links, especially one that will permit those of you outside Canada to watch.

"Hamilton police to announce arrest in murders of mobster Angelo Musitano, Toronto woman"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.4831119.
Try this link for now:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1325023299884
I can't recall such dramatic details being revealed in a police news conference. I'll type up my notes and then post them here. If someone else posts details, I'll make sure not to repeat them when I post.

In the interim:

https://twitter.com/HamiltonPolice/stat ... 8370430976

Hamilton Police
@HamiltonPolice

Hamilton Police Service, @YRP and @RCMPONT announce arrest of Jabril Hassan Abdalla, 27, of #HamOnt for the murders of Angelo Musitano & Mila Barberi. Canada-wide warrants issued for Michael Cudmore, 37 & Daniel Mario Tomassetti, 27. Call 905-546-4167 if you have information.

11:20 AM - 20 Sep 2018
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

That was one of the better news conferences that I have seen. They must be pretty confident with the information that they have. I think a lot will come out of this.
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

Pictures of the suspects here, although it sounds like there is a good chance that Cudmore might never be found:

https://twitter.com/ACollinsPhoto/statu ... 4756853761
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 am
It's deep fried rainbow cookies and gelato at the feast for me tonight.
Emilio’s Ballato pre feast in case anyone was wondering.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Clark wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:34 am That was one of the better news conferences that I have seen. They must be pretty confident with the information that they have. I think a lot will come out of this.
I'm cross-posting here.

My notes:

- Jabril Hassan Abdalla was arrested at home yesterday at around 3:00 pm. He lives in Hamilton and is from Hamilton.

- Michael Cudmore and Daniel Mario Tomassetti are at large. There are Canada-wide warrants for their arrest, and law enforcement here will try to get the warrants endorsed internationally -- Interpol was mentioned.

- The three individuals were involved in different ways in the murder of Angelo Musitano and attempted murder of Saverio "Sam" Serrano (one of Diego Serrano's three sons; you'll recall that the latter attempt, which was botched, resulted in the murder of Saverio's girlfriend, Mila Barberi). One of the three is believed to be the shooter in both murders. All three were likely doing the bidding of higher-ups in an Italian organized-crime group, i.e., the three were not the masterminds. The three engaged in sophisticated surveillance not only of the intended targets but of the intended targets' families. Cudmore, who is believed to be missing (as opposed to at large), is a friend of criminal Daniele "Danny" Ranieri.

- Ranieri was considered to be a person of interest in both murder plots. Were he still alive, he would still be a person of interest. You see, Ranieri, one of the people on which Project Forza was focused in December 2014, was found murdered in a ditch in Cancún, Mexico this past March. He had been bound and gagged. You'll recall that he was an associate of Spanish-born Juan Ramon Fernandez, aka Joe Bravo, who as a well-known associate of Vito Rizzuto, died in a shocking manner in Casteldaccia, just outside of Palermo, when he and friend Fernando Pimentel of Mississauga, Ontario were found burned and shot. You' may also reecall that while in Sicily, Fernandez was heard saying in audio surveillance something along the lines of, They better not touch Danny. After Fernandez was murdered, there was speculation that Ranieri would take over the former's "crew" in the Greater Toronto Area, which was considered to have ties to Rizzuto and the Montreal Mafia.

- Peter Edwards did report this past July that Ranieri was not found dead in Mexico last December -- see https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... -says.html and Edwards's blog post at https://peteredwardsauthor.com/2018/07/ ... cial-says/. I can tell you that Edwards worked on that story for a number of months but I can't tell you what a source told him earlier this year about Ranieri, information that Edwards did not include in his July 9 article.

- At some point, Cudmore's family has (had?) been told about Ranieri's murder, and the family, as well as law enforcement, now fears that Cudmore has also been killed in Mexico.

- The recently murdered Al Iavarone knew two of the accused in the Musitano murder. Iavarone also knew a person of interest in the plot to murder Musitano. Iavarone knew Musitano.
Law enforcement does not yet know whether there is a common motive for the murder of Musitano and the attempted murder of Serrano.

- Apart from the investigations being multi-jurisdictional here in Canada, there was also co-operation with the FBI, DEA, and Department of Homeland Security (which I think had to do with Ranieri's and Cudmore's presence in Mexico). The Mexican authorities have also been assisting.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Don't think this has been posted yet:
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8913 ... wo-others/
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

Thanks antimafia! That is a great summary.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
You're welcome. I made an error of sorts, as Tomassetti is also believed to be in Mexico. I also forgot to mention a few points that may be of interest to posters:

- Sgt. Peter Thom of the Hamilton Police Service (HPS) said that what was immediately apparent after Musitano was murdered is that Musitano was still involved in traditional organized crime (TOC, i.e, the initialism tha Canadian law enforcement uses to refer to and identify Italian mafia groups in Canada).
- The case of shots being fired into Pat Musitano's home, a number of weeks after Angelo was murdered, is still unsolved.

From the HPS's site:

Suspect Arrested in Musitano and Barberi Homicides
http://hamiltonpolice.on.ca/news/suspec ... homicides/
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Paul Manning seems to have known who was involved in Musitano's murder, as well as what happened to some of the the suspects in Mexico earlier this year. Go to https://twitter.com/markalanwhittle/sta ... 3269522432 -- a tweet from April 7, 2018 -- and follow the thread, including replies.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:41 am Paul Manning seems to have known who was involved in Musitano's murder, as well as what happened to some of the the suspects in Mexico earlier this year. Go to https://twitter.com/markalanwhittle/sta ... 3269522432 -- a tweet from April 7, 2018 -- and follow the thread, including replies.
^^^^
Manning made a post on a news website today -- you can see his tweet there. Last April, he essentially knew that Ranieri was killed the month before, as was Cudmore.

https://www.exaronews.com/arrest-made-i ... la-barberi
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

It looks like the Rizzuto faction in Toronto are responsible for the Angelo Musitano hit. It's interesting to see where this leads to. Are the Rizzutos still a Decina of the Bonanno Family? Maybe this case will clear up things in that regard and also what is up with Buffalo. There has been a lot of hits in the last 10 years or so concerning the Canadian groups. It's hard to figure if most of them are tied together in a war of two groups, and who is backing each group. Which hits are separate from each other. The Viola brothers connection to the Bonanno Family? All the heavy action is definitely up in Canada, as far as wars and killings.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Here's a link to video of this morning's news conference regarding the murders of Angelo Musitano and Mila Barberi:

https://www.facebook.com/CHCHTelevision ... 450297029/

If you don't want to view the video on Facebook, go to https://www.chch.com/arrest-made-2017-h ... a-barberi/ and tap/click on the video below the sixth paragraph.