Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by B. »

Masecchia is the son-in-law of a made member and his role as a popular teacher / coach in addition to involvement with drug dealing and storing illegal explosives fits well with that we'd expect of Buffalo's recruitment practices. He's got marital ties into the Family, is popular in the community, and also involved in the underworld. Not a one-dimensional guy -- I trust that authorities had reason to label him a possible member.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:46 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:33 pm Again. It is believed that Massechia was a member
Um, no. The prosecution said "associate or possible member." And considering the guy was a high school teacher moonlighting as a marijuana dealer, well, its likely not the latter. Though I do find it amusing that whenever the identity of who these 20-25 unknown members comes up, this guy is who you have to go to as your example. If that just doesn't say it all...
and the Geraces are to be considered mafia.
"There's a difference between the Mafia and loosely connected individuals committing Mafia-style crimes." - Former FBI SAC (in reference to Buffalo)

The Geraces, Massechia, Militello, Bella, Serio, etc. fall under this description.
Again, Massechia is believed to be a member. His status as a teacher is irrelevant. Similar to your attempts to use old age as the basis for a member being non active. Again, well documented who the Gerace's are, their history and the reasoning for categorizing them as a mafia faction. Militello, Bella and Serio are different altogether nor do they meet the probability threshold that Massechia and Geraces do. Not apples to apples. Your bent on the ceremony but then will be liberal with a place like Montreal when it comes to labeling guys as mafia. Go back a few pages where branding and right to the brand was discussed over and over and how it applies with the hybrid model that seemingly exists with this specific region.
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

UTC wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:42 pm Everyone is coming up with statements and examples that fit their model of the situation. To me the precise issue is whether a small viable organization, and its head, that primarily operates in another country with strong insulation, can avoid U.S. prosecution for a significant period after the FBI in that area has closed up shop after concluding that the organization no longer exists. I'm assuming the FBI there is not corrupt. By the way, have alleged Buffalo members been arrested in Canada?
Which of the following do you mean: in relation to Project OTremens (which resulted in the announcement by the RCMP in November 2017) or before the announcement?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:46 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:33 pm Again. It is believed that Massechia was a member
Um, no. The prosecution said "associate or possible member." And considering the guy was a high school teacher moonlighting as a marijuana dealer, well, its likely not the latter. Though I do find it amusing that whenever the identity of who these 20-25 unknown members comes up, this guy is who you have to go to as your example. If that just doesn't say it all...
and the Geraces are to be considered mafia.
"There's a difference between the Mafia and loosely connected individuals committing Mafia-style crimes." - Former FBI SAC (in reference to Buffalo)

The Geraces, Massechia, Militello, Bella, Serio, etc. fall under this description.

And when Massechia was first busted his indictment made no mention of him being an associate, possible member or even the fabled "IOC". Then an email from 2013 popped up in which, I believe, a DHS guy referred to him as an "associate or possible member". That's when it was added to his indictment. So almost 10 years later after an extensive investigation of him (where they had him on tape talking crime if I remember right) and him even plea bargaining and yet nothing on him being an actual made member or having any connection to made memmbers in regards to his marijuana dealing.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:53 pm
And when Massechia was first busted his indictment made no mention of him being an associate, possible member or even the fabled "IOC". Then an email from 2013 popped up in which, I believe, a DHS guy referred to him as an "associate or possible member". That's when it was added to his indictment. So almost 10 years later after an extensive investigation of him (where they had him on tape talking crime if I remember right) and him even plea bargaining and yet nothing on him being an actual made member or having any connection to made memmbers in regards to his marijuana dealing.

Pogo
Remember Massechia was first arrested with a criminal complaint after the raid on his home in Aug. 2019. If I remember correctly this was well before the Bongiovanni indictment. The criminal complaint was followed by a formal indictment but it wasn’t until the superseding indictment tying Masecchia to Bongiovanni that the information about associate or made member came out. All this to say you could be right Pogo, but I find it more likely that they didnt mention this because they didn’t want to divulge too much information too early due to the active investigation that was taking place. IMHO they wanted people to think the arrest wasn’t connected so evidence wasn’t destroyed.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Reading that article on Todaro, it seems like La Nova is such a successful business, I can’t imagine why he’d be involved in any of that mafia bullshit beyond just having the title and making a few members, setting policy, etc.

I mean, I’m sure Todaro is still nominally the boss, but my guess is he’s more like Tommy Gambino of the LA family. Gambino is still technically the leader of the LA family, but I doubt he’s involved in anything beyond that. He probably makes a ton of legitimate money from his Gambino wine company.

Of course, we’ve seen those recent articles that there were some new members made in the LA family (in Ontario, Canada of all places), but some people on here will take that and probably think the LA family has a bunch of street rackets like gambling and loansharking out in Cali.

It’s far more likely that Gambino is just nominally the boss and makes new members in the LA family simply for political reasons, i.e. as a favor to his relatives in New York, etc. Todaro is probably the same way, makes new members as a favor to the Bonannos or whomever, then goes back to making pizzas.

Todaro is probably 100% legit by this point and I doubt he would even take any money as tribute. It’s simply not worth the risk, as that could lead to a rico case.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

antimafia wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:15 pm
UTC wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:42 pm Everyone is coming up with statements and examples that fit their model of the situation. To me the precise issue is whether a small viable organization, and its head, that primarily operates in another country with strong insulation, can avoid U.S. prosecution for a significant period after the FBI in that area has closed up shop after concluding that the organization no longer exists. I'm assuming the FBI there is not corrupt. By the way, have alleged Buffalo members been arrested in Canada?
Which of the following do you mean: in relation to Project OTremens (which resulted in the announcement by the RCMP in November 2017) or before the announcement?
Since the FBI said the Buffalo family was dead. I meant to say what Buffalo members?
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Not sure if this was ever posted. Very funny

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR ... tid=Zxz2cZ
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... RnRW06oQT8

A fascinating piece by Anna Sergi on the concept of mafia identity and operations on the concept of borders, Specifically in the Niagra Falls region, hope you enjoy.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

OmarSantista wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:23 am https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... RnRW06oQT8

A fascinating piece by Anna Sergi on the concept of mafia identity and operations on the concept of borders, Specifically in the Niagra Falls region, hope you enjoy.
Very good addition to the discussion.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

Other posters started a spin off discussion on the same article viewtopic.php?t=9697
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

calabrianwatch wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:36 pm Other posters started a spin off discussion on the same article viewtopic.php?t=9697
:D Thanks
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Gerace's Defense attorney trying to modify his release again. Here are couple of quotes:
"I have received not one shred of documentary or credible evidence that Mr. Gerace has committed the crimes set forth in the superseding indictment..."
"This is the first time in my career that by the time a trial in federal court has been scheduled, I have absolutely no idea what evidence exists that may incriminate my client. None."

Here is a link to the court records with this declaration: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .337.1.pdf
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

NickleCity wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:37 pm Gerace's Defense attorney trying to modify his release again. Here are couple of quotes:
"I have received not one shred of documentary or credible evidence that Mr. Gerace has committed the crimes set forth in the superseding indictment..."
"This is the first time in my career that by the time a trial in federal court has been scheduled, I have absolutely no idea what evidence exists that may incriminate my client. None."

Here is a link to the court records with this declaration: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .337.1.pdf
That is a bold claim. In your eyes, Nickle, does he have a point? What evidence has come to date yet?
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

gohnjotti wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:08 am
That is a bold claim. In your eyes, Nickle, does he have a point? What evidence has come to date yet?
Hey Gohn, I believe this is hyberbole on the defense's part. One reason I believe this is the fact that Roemer and Sinatra haven't dismissed IOC allegations like defense has asked nor have they agreed that there has been anti-Italian bias. Additionally, defense has been trying to get cell phone evidence tossed for improper search but not succeeded. IMHO prosecution has evidence defense doesn’t want to come out from these sources. I find it interesting that the defense is definitely attacking the credibility of Gerace's Ex Katrina Nigro in their pretrial motions and arguments. I believe they are worried about her testimony. Reading between the lines in court papers Gerace has threatened Nigro as well. That being said, Nigro has issues that give the defense the ability to attack her credibility. For example her felony drunk driving conviction where she severely hurt a family. Defense has also indicated that Nigro perjured herself at Grand Jury. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. What I think we need to watch is for testimony from Ronald Serio. He was arrested when all this began and still has not been sentenced. Does this mean he is cooperating with the government? I don't know, but think it is a possibility. I will have to check, but if I remember correctly, Masecchia indicated he was involved with bribing Bongiovanni in his plea agreement.