5 Family Indictments 1990-Present)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

gohnjotti
Full Patched

Re: 5 Family Indictments 1990-Present)

Post by gohnjotti »

William Cutolo and Vincent DeMartino were both indicted in Dec. 1993.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
pharion
Straightened out

Post by pharion »

Bonanno soldier Joseph Taormina, Colombo capo james Randazzo, and others were indicted in 1990. Was Taormina made by then?
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Minor change, Cutolo & DeMartino were actually indicted in November not December.

gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

In Dec. 1999, Colombo soldier/captain(?) Frank Melia and soldier Frank Leto were indicted as part of the big DeCavalcante bust. Don't know if Melia was a captain at the time of the indictment.

pharion
Straightened out

Post by pharion »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 am In Dec. 1999, Colombo soldier/captain(?) Frank Melia and soldier Frank Leto were indicted as part of the big DeCavalcante bust. Don't know if Melia was a captain at the time of the indictment.
Yea that was the one that got all those Staten island guys right? Vincent Romano (gambino) was indicted in that as an associate.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

pharion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:21 am
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 am In Dec. 1999, Colombo soldier/captain(?) Frank Melia and soldier Frank Leto were indicted as part of the big DeCavalcante bust. Don't know if Melia was a captain at the time of the indictment.
Yea that was the one that got all those Staten island guys right? Vincent Romano (gambino) was indicted in that as an associate.
Yep, some Bonannos, Gambinos, and Luccheses were also rounded up, but not in the same indictment.

Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:37 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:35 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:17 pm Castellazzo was charged as part of a 157-count criminal complaint on September 14, 2000.
The roundup capped a two-year investigation of two gambling spots in Gravesend, Brooklyn. The suspects faced federal gambling, extortion, and loansharking charges.

Suspects arraigned included;
Benjamin (The Little Guy) Castellazzo, 62.
Anthony (Baldy) Amoruso, 61.
Frank (Frankie the Hat) DeVito, 65.
Stephen (Stevie Two Guns) Mignano, 51.
Joey (The Plumber) Mercuri, 35.
Joseph (Joe Cash) Wiley, 64.

The crew's activities were centered at the Torrese Social Club at 2005 W. Eighth St., which has a "Members Only" sign in the window, and the Wrong Number Bar on W. Seventh St. The FBI bugged both locations, including a pay phone at the social club, and the suspects' cell phones.

Dtheo you have any information on any of these other guys, Wiseguy?
No, but good catch. I've spent the last 10 years compiling any mob cases (2000-present) I could find but missed that one. Did you get it from the NY Daily News archives?
Yep, I got it through Newspapers.com.
Joe the Plumber Mercuri I'm pretty sure is Made now and operates a huge plumbing company on McDonald Ave. Gravesend . He does huge business with the City and state and has Big-time City contracts . They are overloaded with work ripping up the streets everywhere . I'm surprised there haven't been any indictments since the Mob has a complete stranglehold over the Plumbing industry Residential and Commercial
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Bklyn21 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:36 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:17 pm Castellazzo was charged as part of a 157-count criminal complaint on September 14, 2000.
The roundup capped a two-year investigation of two gambling spots in Gravesend, Brooklyn. The suspects faced federal gambling, extortion, and loansharking charges.

The crew's activities were centered at the Torrese Social Club at 2005 W. Eighth St., which has a "Members Only" sign in the window, and the Wrong Number Bar on W. Seventh St. The FBI bugged both locations, including a pay phone at the social club, and the suspects' cell phones.

No, but good catch. I've spent the last 10 years compiling any mob cases (2000-present) I could find but missed that one. Did you get it from the NY Daily News archives?
Joe the Plumber Mercuri I'm pretty sure is Made now and operates a huge plumbing company on McDonald Ave. Gravesend . He does huge business with the City and state and has Big-time City contracts . They are overloaded with work ripping up the streets everywhere . I'm surprised there haven't been any indictments since the Mob has a complete stranglehold over the Plumbing industry Residential and Commercial
It seems like every Colombo is a plumber recently.

Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:10 pm

Yea ! There's lots of plumbers between the families and the Colombos
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Bklyn21 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:29 pm

Do you know anything about the family's control over Local 1 of the Plumber's union? There's court testimony that shows Jackie DeRoss controlled the union in the 1990s, and since everybody in his crew (Skippy DeRoss, John Cerbone, Thomas Scorcia, etc.) all ended up being bigtime plumbers, I'm wondering if that control is ongoing today. I don't recall DeRoss or any of his associates being arrested for Local 1 control.

Garbage might have been the Sopranos' bread-and-butter, but I'd make the case that the Colombos have made the plumbing business work for them. Giovanni Floridia alluded to organized robberies of worksites by Skippy DeRoss, Cerbone was using his plumbing business to launder money, and who knows what Scorcia was doing with his business (no allegations have been laid against Scorcia's handling of his company). Apparently, when the FBI went to arrest Scorcia at 6:00 in the morning, he had already left for work at his plumbing business, so he had a warrant outstanding for a few hours before the FBI could figure out where he went. I don't see why a Colombo soldier would be clocking in for work pre-dawn every day if there wasn't some angle or ulterior motive.

EDIT: Local 1 business agent Domenick Goffredo referred to in this article (https://www.villagevoice.com/2004/01/27 ... he-depths/) was transferred from the Gambino family to the Colombo family in the mid-1990s, according to Michael DiLeonardo. Nothing about his mob ties came up in Tom Robbins' article or in the news following his arrest on larceny charges. Goffredo may have been forced out of his post, but the fact that Local 1 hasn't had a large degree of federal scrutiny (according to Robbins' article, the union volunteered to work with an independent watchdog in Dec. 2003 for 18 months, but we didn't see any cases or government action against union members with mob ties), it's possible the union is still mobbed-up. We've seen time-and-time again that the FBI's ability to rid a union of the mob varies, but it relies on sustained federal oversight like the Waterfront Commission, and even that can only be described as a partial success. Hell, the Scopos were able to blatantly crawl back into the concrete unions even after the heads of all Five Families were busted for the Concrete Club in '86. Local 1 control would be an interesting topic to explore, it might be one of - if not the only - union(s) the Colombos have left.

Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

gohnjotti wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm
Bklyn21 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:29 pm

Do you know anything about the family's control over Local 1 of the Plumber's union? There's court testimony that shows Jackie DeRoss controlled the union in the 1990s, and since everybody in his crew (Skippy DeRoss, John Cerbone, Thomas Scorcia, etc.) all ended up being bigtime plumbers, I'm wondering if that control is ongoing today. I don't recall DeRoss or any of his associates being arrested for Local 1 control.

Garbage might have been the Sopranos' bread-and-butter, but I'd make the case that the Colombos have made the plumbing business work for them. Giovanni Floridia alluded to organized robberies of worksites by Skippy DeRoss, Cerbone was using his plumbing business to launder money, and who knows what Scorcia was doing with his business (no allegations have been laid against Scorcia's handling of his company). Apparently, when the FBI went to arrest Scorcia at 6:00 in the morning, he had already left for work at his plumbing business, so he had a warrant outstanding for a few hours before the FBI could figure out where he went. I don't see why a Colombo soldier would be clocking in for work pre-dawn every day if there wasn't some angle or ulterior motive.

EDIT: Local 1 business agent Domenick Goffredo referred to in this article (https://www.villagevoice.com/2004/01/27 ... he-depths/) was transferred from the Gambino family to the Colombo family in the mid-1990s, according to Michael DiLeonardo. Nothing about his mob ties came up in Tom Robbins' article or in the news following his arrest on larceny charges. Goffredo may have been forced out of his post, but the fact that Local 1 hasn't had a large degree of federal scrutiny (according to Robbins' article, the union volunteered to work with an independent watchdog in Dec. 2003 for 18 months, but we didn't see any cases or government action against union members with mob ties), it's possible the union is still mobbed-up. We've seen time-and-time again that the FBI's ability to rid a union of the mob varies, but it relies on sustained federal oversight like the Waterfront Commission, and even that can only be described as a partial success. Hell, the Scopos were able to blatantly crawl back into the concrete unions even after the heads of all Five Families were busted for the Concrete Club in '86. Local 1 control would be an interesting topic to explore, it might be one of - if not the only - union(s) the Colombos have left.
That union has always been corrupted to the hilt and on the middle of Howard Beach . Steam fitters local 638 is Controlled by the Gambinos . I'm not sure who has Local 1 today but if I was getting i'd go with the Gambinos and work farmed out to other families and crews getting a piece
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

Bettting* not Getting*
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

That union has always been corrupted to the hilt and on the middle of Howard Beach . Steam fitters local 638 is Controlled by the Gambinos . I'm not sure who has Local 1 today but if I was getting i'd go with the Gambinos and work farmed out to other families and crews getting a piece
[/quote]

local 1 hasn't been in howard beach for 10+ years. 638 is not controlled by gambinos...nor is local 1. the building trades have eradicated 95% of mob influence over their locals in nyc. the mob is involved in the non union sector where they have a lot more control and less eyes watching. they are also starting "ROGUE" locals like 295 operating engineers and 355 which does plumbing/hvac. in direct competition to building trades locals. they abuse their members. pay low wages and cut corners. pilfer jobsites and basically have free reign. the building trades biggest mistake was washing the mob out.
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

just fyi...I am a "high ranking" member I guess you could call it of a related local who works closely with other trades and also was at one point an elected official.
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

the 80s-90s and early 2000s were 15 years ago.