Chin's post about Basciano / Massino / Montagna

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Chin's post about Basciano / Massino / Montagna

Post by B. »

Hopefully Chin is cool with me making a new thread for this as I don't want it to distract from Antimafia's info about Scoppa.
chin_gigante wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:57 am Found something relevant to this. From a conversation Massino recorded with Basciano at MDC Brooklyn on Jan 3, 2005:
BASCIANO: You know what happen to Nicky [Sanora]? You know the situation that Nicky been in? Him too would have a problem with me. You want to know why? You know the first thing he wanted to know?

MASSINO: Why?

BASCIANO: Should we send anybody up to Canada. What’s happening in Canada?

MASSINO: Oh yeah, what’s happening with Canada?

BASCIANO: What’s happening with Canada? Nothing’s happening with Canada?

MASSINO: Okay.

BASCIANO: Nothing’s happening with Canada.

MASSINO: Okay.

BASCIANO: What’s happening in Canada. Sal wanted permission to go up there because there was a cousin for some work. I gave him permission to go up there. I says go ahead up there. I says you can’t cause any

MASSINO: What’s the story with the kid Sal?

BASCIANO: … Sal the iron-worker? He’s alright, but he’s a little fuckin’ ah ah—He he’s alright.

MASSINO: He’s got that kid Vinnie Vituchio.

BASCIANO: I put Vinnie Vituchio. I told Michael to take Vinnie Vituchio. I told Michael to take Vinnie Vituchio.

MASSINO: You know, that’s another thing you shoulda sent word to me.

BASCIANO: About what?

MASSINO: About Vinnie Vituchio. He’s with me. Nobody asked me anything.

BASCIANO: I but I—Listen, I don’t know this.

MASSINO: Where do, who do you think he was around?

BASCIANO: Well, I sent word to you with Vinnie Vituchio.

MASSINO: I never got it. I got no problem. Let me tell you what happened. -Eh if I remember…

BASCIANO: If I’m (UI) you told before. I told Michael get two thousand or six thousand.

MASSINO: … When when I was in here you was in the street. He report to Louie Restivo.

BASCIANO: Correct.

MASSINO: You’s guy sent me word Canada wanna put Vinnie

MASSINO: Vitucchio with Sal iron-worker.

MASSINO: And I said no.

MASSINO: Alright?

BASCIANO: Correct. That’s correct.

MASSINO: I got a good memory. But I didn’t fuckin’ go senile yet.

BASCIANO: That’s absolutely correct. That’s correct.

MASSINO: But you can’t take my guys and do what the fuck.
Then Canada and Frank Cotroni come up in a conversation on Jan 7.
JM: How many guys we got to do? We got two for this year.

VB: Just two, and uh, uh, that guy up there in uh, uh, Canada.

JM: Which guy in Canada?

VB: What’s his name.

JM: Frank, uh, Catrone (ph)?

VB: Whatever his name was, the guy that died.

JM: The guy that died?

VB: Yeah.

JM: Frank Catrone (ph).

JM: We got three. They don’t have the three seats to fill ‘em, Bo, anyway.

JM: Oh, oh.

VB: There’s no three seats right not to fill ‘em.

JM: Oh.
This is huge, as it independently confirms what Dom Cicale said about Montagna being a liaison to Canada under Basciano. It also indicates there was ongoing contact with Canada to some degree.

- The "first thing" Nicky Santora wanted to know in relation to some issue he was having was whether or not the Bonannos should send someone to Canada and this bothered Basciano for some reason. This prompts Massino to ask what's happening there. When Basciano tells Massino "nothing's happening" with Canada it could be interpreted a couple different ways (depending especially on how you view the arrangement) but it could indicate there isn't much contact between NYC and Montreal or it could simply be Basciano telling Massino there is nothing significant to report on. From the rest of it, it's clear the Bonannos still had ties to Canada.

- It sounds like Vinnie Vitucchio (?) was an associate on record with Joe Massino being serviced by Louis Restivo, but Basciano placed him with "Michael" (Mancuso?) and instructed him to get $2000-$6000 presumably from Vitucchio. From the wording, Massino is saying "Canada" wanted Vitucchio to be assigned to Sal Montagna earlier on so Basciano contacted Massino for approval who denied the request. Was Vitucchio active in Canada?

- If it's true "Canada" requested that Vitucchio be assigned to Montagna, that suggests Vitucchio was active in Canada in some way and their preference was for Montagna to service him. If this statement reflected what Massino was actually trying to say, it could indicate Canada would prefer Vitucchio to report to the Canadian liaison, Montagna.

- Montagna also contacted Basciano for approval to go to Canada (indicating there was protocol for doing so) so he could get a cousin some work. This lends itself to reports on Montagna having cousins in Canada (I believe he was living in a cousin's home when he moved there) and suggests he could make some kind of arrangement on the cousin's behalf. It's not clear if the cousin is Vitucchio but might be. It appears Basciano was about to say he told Montagna he could go to Canada but couldn't cause any problems.

- Basciano and Massino were both aware of Frank Cotroni's death and are discussing how that adds to the open "seats" that will be replaced by new members. We know Cotroni was included as a deceased member on a proposed member list from this period but this shows that both Massino and Basciano received word about his death.

- It's not clear in the last part if he's saying they don't have three proposed members in Canada to fill the three open slots in the Bonanno Family or if something else is being said. Based on the proposed list that surfaced they inducted NYC members to fill those three spots.

This conversation should be part of any Montreal/Bonanno discussion moving forward. It's vague but shows there was ongoing contact with Canada via Montagna under Massino/Basciano and it required the leadership's approval. What's missing is obviously who/what the extent of the Bonanno Family's contact was with their Montreal decina at this time, but because it verified some of what Cicale said it lends credence to his info about Basciano requesting a larger Christmas package from the Montreal crew via Montagna.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: Chin's post about Basciano / Massino / Montagna

Post by CabriniGreen »

It seems the first question is, What's the situation Nicky was in?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Was it something ongoing involving Canada that was disrupted?

When exactly was this?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:20 pm It seems the first question is, What's the situation Nicky was in?
That's my big question. He would later be the acting underboss while Montagna was acting boss, but at this stage I don't know what his story was. He was also one of the Mancuso loyalists.

It's possible Santora didn't have a personal interest in Canada but was inquiring about what Basciano planned to do about Montagna's request to help his cousin in Canada, which would explain why Basciano was bothered by it as it wasn't Santora's business to ask. Or it could indicate Santora had some interest in Canada or was involved in the situation Montagna asked about.

If we could confirm whether Vitucchio (is that the true spelling of his name?) was active in Canada that would help. From this we know "Michael" (probably Mancuso), Montagna, Massino, Restivo, and possibly even Santora were tied to Vitucchio's activity.
CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:21 pm When exactly was this?
January 2005
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thought the part where Basciano is about to say he told Montagna not to cause any problems in Canada was interesting given this was years before his deportation. Might just be standard protocol, i.e. don't step on anyone's toes, but it's hauntingly prophetic based on how things played out.

I'm also reminded of what Cicale said, where Massino was worried about Montagna after the Sciascia murder and assigned him to DeFilippo to keep an eye on him. Other guys he wanted to keep an eye on during this period were Basciano and Indelicato, who we know who were killers. Fiordilino said Sal was a low-key working guy, not a hardline gangster like the other Giannini guys, so if Cicale's story is true you have to wonder what was so concerning about Montagna. Obviously Montagna wasn't going to stage a political coup against Massino so was there reason to think he might retaliate or do something crazy? He was certainly capable of launching a violent mafia war but that's after he became acting boss.
BASCIANO: … Sal the iron-worker? He’s alright, but he’s a little fuckin’ ah ah—He he’s alright.
He's a little fuckin' what, Vin?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Massino: But you can’t take my guys and do what the fuck.

Basciano: Correct. That's correct.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:06 pm Massino: But you can’t take my guys and do what the fuck.

Basciano: Correct. That's correct.
Man they should have crossexamined Massino about that one.

"Mr. Massino, can you please explain what it means for someone to take your guys and do what the fuck?"
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ok I found out who "Vitucchio" is: Vincent Vertuccio, a big-time contractor identified as a Bonanno associate in Maspeth which makes sense given Massino and Restivo were active in that area.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/12/contracto ... -contract/

https://mobsters66.rssing.com/chan-3425 ... l_p12.html
A Queens man who is allegedly affiliated with the Bonanno crime family was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of channeling funds from his construction company’s $11.4 million 1 World Trade Center contract for his own use.
Vincent Vertuccio, 59, has longstanding relationships with past Bonanno bosses including Joseph Massino, Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano, and current boss Michael (Mikey Nose) Mancuso, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Kristin Mace.
Vertuccio is accused of hiding these connections and taking $700,000 from the World Trade Center contract for his own use and renovations to his daughter’s home, the New York Daily News reported.
Confirms "Michael" in the transcript is Mancuso.

Nothing to indicate a Canadian connection. My only guess is he was tied to some kind of construction work in Canada if indeed the transcript is suggesting he was involved there.

If he was doing construction in Canada and Montreal sent word they wanted him to be with Montagna, like Massino said, it may be because Montreal had a relationship with Montagna and it was more convenient to deal with him than another NYC Bonanno.

Montagna was allegedly involved in extorting construction contractors in both NYC and Montreal which would fit his association with Vertuccio:
A police source told The Gazette on Thursday that Montagna
was suspected of shaking down several Montreal-area construction
companies for five per cent of their profits, something he allegedly did
in New York during a short stint as the head of the Bonanno crime
family before his deportation to Canada.
https://globalnews.ca/news/182049/profi ... -montagna/
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Regarding Santora, another Canada connection pops up after the murder of Nick Rizzuto, Jr. in this Gang Land article from Jan 07, 2010:
Law enforcement officials – as well as usually reliable underworld sources – both tell Gang Land that the killing could lead to bloodshed in the New York area as well. (Ten days after his murder, Rizzuto's Mercedes remained parked where he left it as an eerie monument to the slain mob prince. Police said yesterday that it was up to the family to retrieve the car.)

“You never know about this kind of thing when the Zips are involved,” said one source. For those without a mob glossary, “Zips” is street slang for the faction that includes about 25 Sicilian-born Bonanno mobsters, their relatives, and crew members – some of whom are American-born. It’s a funny word. “Zips” began as a derogative term. Some say it derives from the difficulty American mobsters have grasping the chatter of fast-speaking immigrants as it “zips” by; others say it’s a slang plural of zeros. But today, many so-called “Zips” wear the term as a “badge of honor” to describe so-called “old-school” or traditional mob values, including omerta and the use of violence whenever necessary.

Gang Land has learned that the killing – about which law enforcement officials in New York and Canada seem to have very little insight – has brought to a head a years-long push by the Rizzuto clan and their New York-based Sicilian cohorts for more clout in the family and the cash that goes along with it.

Fueled by anger over the 1999 murder of capo Gerlando (George from Canada) Sciascia on orders of then-boss Joseph Massino, the elder Nicholas Rizzuto has been acting more and more independently in recent years. Last year, when the family’s most recent street boss, Salvatore (Sal The Ironworker) Montagna, a Sicilian wiseguy with ties to onetime acting boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano was deported to Canada, sources say Rizzuto let it be known that he wasn’t answering to Montagna.

“He sent back word that The Ironworker was a lightweight flunky” who had been aligned with a Massino-appointed crony “and wasn’t his boss,” said one knowledgeable gang land source.

In the 10 days since the murder, sources tell Gang Land that emissaries of the family’s current rulers who aren’t behind bars – Nicholas (Nicky Mouth) Santora, 67, and Anthony (Fat Anthony) Rabito, 75, – have met several times with Sicilian faction members to discuss a profitable and peaceful solution for all sides. Sources say Santora and Rabito, who were both released from prison last year and are still unable to meet freely with their fellow wiseguys, are supporting capo Vincent Asaro, 74, for the family’s top spot.

Asaro, a longtime Queens-based gangster is a certified old-school gangster who speaks Italian fluently and is well-respected by the Zips, sources say.

He often uses Sicilian phrases and idioms to explain his reasons for his actions. One of his favorites is“Cu mangia sulu, s’affuca sulu.” (“He who eats alone, chokes alone.”) In addition to having a nice ring to it, the saying drives home the key Mafia lessons of loyalty and paying tribute to your bosses, whose help you will probably need sooner than later.

Asaro, whose mobster son Jerome is due out of prison later this year, also has close ties to Queens-based mobsters from the Luchese, Gambino and Genovese families who have voiced their support for him, sources say.

Many of the meetings among the Bonanno factions have taken place in several establishments and social clubs in Brooklyn, Queens, and on Long Island, where many wiseguys live.

A key player in the recent talks, sources say, is Vito Grimaldi, a 70-year-old Sicilian faction mobster whose daughter is married to Joseph (Joe Saunders Jr.) Cammarano, the wiseguy son of longtime capo Joe Saunders Sr., who is serving 15 years for a murder conspiracy rap.

Grimaldi, whose family has operated a bakery in Flushing, Queens for 100 years, is viewed as an advisor to the Zips. He recently ended a three year term of supervised release following a stretch for racketeering and has no restrictions on his activities. His son Joseph is also a Bonanno soldier and runs a lucrative baccarat game out of a social club in Ridgewood, Brooklyn, sources say.

Gang Land’s sources say Asaro, who for many years has had dealings as both a mob supervisor and cohort of Sicilian wiseguys, may win Grimaldi’s support. Another major player with key Sicilian backing is Vincent (Vinny TV) Badalamenti, whose Christmas Party was raided by DEA agents last month.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:52 pm Thought the part where Basciano is about to say he told Montagna not to cause any problems in Canada was interesting given this was years before his deportation. Might just be standard protocol, i.e. don't step on anyone's toes, but it's hauntingly prophetic based on how things played out.

I'm also reminded of what Cicale said, where Massino was worried about Montagna after the Sciascia murder and assigned him to DeFilippo to keep an eye on him. Other guys he wanted to keep an eye on during this period were Basciano and Indelicato, who we know who were killers. Fiordilino said Sal was a low-key working guy, not a hardline gangster like the other Giannini guys, so if Cicale's story is true you have to wonder what was so concerning about Montagna. Obviously Montagna wasn't going to stage a political coup against Massino so was there reason to think he might retaliate or do something crazy? He was certainly capable of launching a violent mafia war but that's after he became acting boss.
He's a little fuckin' what, Vin?
I'll bet he did the " crazy" hand gesture... and it doesn't come across in the transcripts. Just a guess...
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:26 pm Ok I found out who "Vitucchio" is: Vincent Vertuccio, a big-time contractor identified as a Bonanno associate in Maspeth which makes sense given Massino and Restivo were active in that area.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/12/contracto ... -contract/

https://mobsters66.rssing.com/chan-3425 ... l_p12.html
A Queens man who is allegedly affiliated with the Bonanno crime family was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of channeling funds from his construction company’s $11.4 million 1 World Trade Center contract for his own use.
Vincent Vertuccio, 59, has longstanding relationships with past Bonanno bosses including Joseph Massino, Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano, and current boss Michael (Mikey Nose) Mancuso, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Kristin Mace.
Vertuccio is accused of hiding these connections and taking $700,000 from the World Trade Center contract for his own use and renovations to his daughter’s home, the New York Daily News reported.
Confirms "Michael" in the transcript is Mancuso.

Nothing to indicate a Canadian connection. My only guess is he was tied to some kind of construction work in Canada if indeed the transcript is suggesting he was involved there.

If he was doing construction in Canada and Montreal sent word they wanted him to be with Montagna, like Massino said, it may be because Montreal had a relationship with Montagna and it was more convenient to deal with him than another NYC Bonanno.

Montagna was allegedly involved in extorting construction contractors in both NYC and Montreal which would fit his association with Vertuccio:
A police source told The Gazette on Thursday that Montagna
was suspected of shaking down several Montreal-area construction
companies for five per cent of their profits, something he allegedly did
in New York during a short stint as the head of the Bonanno crime
family before his deportation to Canada.
https://globalnews.ca/news/182049/profi ... -montagna/
Bro... seriously. The Campos thing too. Do these guys think the Construction racket is for house renovations? Or what? Lol...

Why they cannibalize a PROFITABLE COMPANY, for the sake of home renovations? I just don't get it....
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:59 pm
Gang Land has learned that the killing – about which law enforcement officials in New York and Canada seem to have very little insight – has brought to a head a years-long push by the Rizzuto clan and their New York-based Sicilian cohorts for more clout in the family and the cash that goes along with it.

Fueled by anger over the 1999 murder of capo Gerlando (George from Canada) Sciascia on orders of then-boss Joseph Massino, the elder Nicholas Rizzuto has been acting more and more independently in recent years. Last year, when the family’s most recent street boss, Salvatore (Sal The Ironworker) Montagna, a Sicilian wiseguy with ties to onetime acting boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano was deported to Canada, sources say Rizzuto let it be known that he wasn’t answering to Montagna.

“He sent back word that The Ironworker was a lightweight flunky” who had been aligned with a Massino-appointed crony “and wasn’t his boss,” said one knowledgeable gang land source.

In the 10 days since the murder, sources tell Gang Land that emissaries of the family’s current rulers who aren’t behind bars – Nicholas (Nicky Mouth) Santora, 67, and Anthony (Fat Anthony) Rabito, 75, – have met several times with Sicilian faction members to discuss a profitable and peaceful solution for all sides. Sources say Santora and Rabito, who were both released from prison last year and are still unable to meet freely with their fellow wiseguys, are supporting capo Vincent Asaro, 74, for the family’s top spot.
The first part suggests the Rizzutos were initially on the same page as the NYC Sicilian faction in the 2000s, at least that seems to be Capeci's understanding. Historically that's true -- most of the younger Sicilian guys directly or indirectly trace their origins in the Family to Baldo Amato who was very close to the Montreal Sicilians and according to Vitale he was just as upset about Sciascia's murder. If it's true too that Montreal asked that Vertuccio be serviced by Montagna, that indicates they had an amicable relationship with Sal before his deportation and takeover.

There was definitely at least one meeting about Montagna's murder in NYC, too. Gasper Valenti recorded himself driving Asaro to a members only meeting with Jack and Nana Bonventre where they were supposed to discuss the murder but of course Valenti wasn't allowed in. All Asaro told Valenti is that Montagna was killed and was "one of the bosses from New York". I'd be curious if Nicky Rizzuto was made in Montreal -- either way his murder was relevant gossip in NYC, especially given Montagna's presence there and possible involvement.

There was another time where Valenti asked Asaro what was going on in Canada and Asaro replied something like "I don't know what's going on in Canada. I don't even know what's going on in Ozone Park." Hard to read into it given he dismissed the question and joked around. I suspect even if the NYC Bonannos were getting some information from Montreal it would have been confusing -- what's surfaced from within Montreal shows the guys in Canada were confused themselves.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

This quote from Scoppa has been underappreciated in my opinion:
The minute Vito left, much of his entourage changed. Those who were directly under his command - the Compare Franks, Lorenzo, Chit, Mucci… - got together, and old Nick was quickly crushed. The only thing that mattered to those who replaced Vito was the money. And it was a real disaster.
Acardi, Giordano (allegedly a recent inductee at the time), Del Balso, and Mucci "crushed" Nick Rizzuto's power long before Montagna was deported from the US.

This is also the same time period when the Massino / Basciano conversation took place, so Montagna was involved in Canada from NYC while the above men were already in the process of pulling away from the Rizzutos.

He also said:
So Raynald extended his hand to Montagna. And they went to get Moreno [Gallo] with them. And Joe [Giuseppe] De Vito. Montagna went to recruit guys like Larry Lopresti, who had always had a grudge against Vito Rizzuto because Vito allowed the murder of his father in 1992. So Lopresti agreed.

Montagna also recruited Tony Suzuki. “Their goal was to go get the Book, recruit everyone on Vito’s side, and force 'the world' to pay 25% of their profits to Montagna.

Some guys from Vito switched sides and went with him. Others told him to go fuck himself.
So in addition to capitalizing on an existing dissident faction (some of whom were in prison, but no doubt influential), Montagna successfully recruited from the Rizzuto faction as well.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

This was Antimafia's speculative list on the membership circa early 2000s:
1. Nick Rizzuto Sr. (murdered)
2. Vito Rizzuto (deceased)
3. Paolo Renda (kidnapped; presumed murdered)
4. Joe Di Maulo (murdered)
5. Domenico Arcuri Sr. (died in a bizarre accident)
6. Frank Cotroni Sr. (deceased)
7. Frank Cotroni Jr.
8. Francesco Arcadi
9. Rocco Sollecito (murdered)
10. Romeo Bucci
11. Moreno Gallo (murdered)
12. Tony Mucci
13. Alfonso Gagliano (deceased)
14. Agostino Cuntrera (murdered)
15. Tony Van(n)elli
16. Paolo Gervasi (murdered)
17. Giuseppe Renda (kidnapped; presumed murdered)
18. Antonio Pietrantonio
I've bolded those who are alleged to have turned against the Rizzutos and/or joined Montagna, though I'm not sure where a couple of the names stood in these disputes.

- It should be noted this list is Montreal-centric. Antimafia is one of the foremost experts on Canada and even the speculative names are more than valid for consideration, though we know Joe Bonanno recruited new members "illegally" in Ontario by late 1964 and there are more recent Ontario figures who may have been members as well. A few of the 19 members described by Vitale could have been Ontario-based.

- I wouldn't be surprised if Domenico Arcuri Jr. was inducted by the late 2000s given his name was mentioned among possible "godfathers". Scoppa's reference to Montagna having a longstanding relationship with the Arcuris could indicate they were among the Bonanno members he met with during his earlier Montreal visits.

- A correlation between "godfather" and made membership, or at least Italian descent, comes via the Desjardins conversations, where he dismissed the newspaper gossip that he could be the new "godfather" given he was French-Canadian (this also discounts Bravo's strange boast that he and Desjardins were made by Rizzuto). "Godfather" is of course not an official title, but Desjardins regarded it as an Italian-only position that likely required mafia membership or at least the possibility of future membership.

- Cicale seems to have been under the impression that Montagna was part of the Sciascia crew before he was reassigned to DeFilippo. Daniel Renaud found information indicating Montagna was made by 1998 and Frank Fiordilino didn't name the date but described being shocked when he found out Montagna had been made. He said Sal's personality changed in that he started emulating his sponsor (not named unfortunately) who Fiordilino said was very charismatic.

- If Montagna was assigned to Sciascia it means he was an NYC-based member of the same decina that represented Montreal but it makes Vitale's reference to 19 living members confusing, as it would mean the crew had at least 21 members between NYC and Montreal. There is also Giuseppe Arcuri, a confirmed NYC Bonanno member, that died in 2001. Joe Renda also previously lived in NYC I believe and was made into the Bonannos. I haven't seen anything definitive on who these Sciascia/Montreal-linked NYC members reported to.

- Despite Baldo Amato's close relationship to Sciascia, he reported to the Attanasio crew. It's possible Montagna was with this crew as well or another one, as crew assignments aren't always based on obvious relationships. Anthony Aiello (member) and Joey Gambina (proposed member) for example were assigned to Basciano even though they came from the same zip element as Montagna.

Fab also made a great thread about this subject:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7769&p=197800&hili ... io#p197800
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antimafia's translation of what Daniel Renaud published re: Sal Vitale's two visits to Montreal post-Sciascia:
Inside, about twenty "men of honor" of the Montreal mafia receive him and his flying companion, who is already there. Vito Rizzuto is here, his father, Nicolo, too. The men present have a drink and expect a lot from Vitale's visit. They believe that the latter will announce to them the name of the successor of Gerlando Sciascia. But they will be disappointed. Massino did not send Vitale to Montreal for this reason, but to try to rebuild the relationship between the two clans at a time when clouds are looming on the horizon. Vitale and his companion then return to New York. When reporting to his brother-in-law, Vitale told him that he had noticed that "the guys from Montreal" were disappointed that no one had been named to succeed "George of Canada". Massino may have had to step into the door at that moment, because when he sends his right arm back to Montreal, six months later, the tone has changed. Vital enters the same room, where are more or less the same men of honor as the first time. This time, he has an official approach to do and he moves away from a few steps with Vito Rizzuto.

- I have orders from Joe. He wants to name you officially at the head of the Montreal cell, Vitale announces him without hiding a certain pride.

Calmly, Vito Rizzuto looks at his interlocutor in the eyes and answers:

- No, I do not want it. Out of respect for my father, you give him this title, not me.

Vitale acquiesces and confirms Nicolo Rizzuto, then 75 years old, in the position of godfather of the Montreal cell of the Bonanno clan. But when Salvatore Vitale returns to Massino, he is perplexed. Later, he will tell Lorie McDougall, who visited him in New York, that it was only because of the protocol that the Montreal mafiosi agreed to receive him and that he had the impression that they laughed at him. For Vitale, the Rizzuto were already doing what they wanted. They no longer needed to ask permission in New York and they were now independent
- He says on Vitale's first visit the Montreal decina was hoping to learn who their new capodecina was and were disappointed when one wasn't named; this is what Vitale reported back to Massino. This is a twist that hasn't gotten much discussion, that Montreal were eager to be assigned to a new capodecina.

- Vitale's story here about offering the position to Vito is consistent with other accounts he's given, but the obvious difference is here he says Nicolo Rizuto was "confirmed" as the official capodecina. Whether Montreal pulled away or not (they were very autonomous under Cotroni too), it changes the narrative significantly if Nicolo became an official Bonanno captain. I've seen it said that Rizzuto "sent word" he wouldn't answer to Montagna -- what's the original source of that and who would he have sent word to?

- Here Renaud uses "godfather" synonymously with capodecina. Coverage about the war seems to use it more loosely, though some of what's been reported fits the godfather = capodecina idea. For example Montagna is said to have backed DiMaulo and then Gallo for "godfather". If it was simply defacto power neither of these men needed Montagna's blessing, but what Montagna could offer is a title. As mentioned, Desjardins ruled himself out as "godfather" as it was used in the media because he's not Italian, which suggests it was a role reserved for members or people qualified for membership.

- Vitale's memory isn't the best and he can be inconsistent on some details. For example when he testified more recently he couldn't remember who Joe LoPresti was or anything about him despite having a pretty detailed story about the murder when he first cooperated. It's also another discrepancy with Massino, where Vitale thought Gerlando Sciascia killed LoPresti without permission and asked for approval after the fact, while Massino remembered Joe LoPresti in his testimony and said he gave permission for his murder, citing LoPresti's drug use and disrespecct toward Sciascia. Interestingly, Vitale's earlier description of the LoPresti murder is similar to Massino's story about Sciascia killing Cotroni without permission and telling Massino after the fact. I bring this up because this Renaud passage would not be the first time Vitale was inconsistent.

Be interesting to see the debriefing or source material for this part of the book. The wording is highly specific about the Bonanno leadership "confirming" Nicolo Rizzuto's position.

The Basciano/Massino conversation, if I'm interpreting it even half-right, is about a big NYC contractor on record direct with Massino who is apparently a connection point between Canada and multiple important Bonanno members/leaders circa 2004-2005. "Canada" apparently requested that Sal Montagna service the associate. Montagna had requested Basciano's permission to go to Canada which is consistent with Dom Cicale's claim that Basciano and Montagna were in contact with Montreal.

Vitale is our main NYC source for the idea that Montreal broke off or stopped recognizing the NYC leadership, but he was essentially shelved shortly after his Montreal visits so it's looking like he was out of the loop on whatever ongoing contact was taking place. If Cicale was truthful, there was also "unofficial" contact going on between Basciano and Montreal in both NYC and Canada -- the secretive nature of this arrangement likely came via drug trafficking. Massino told Cantarella to get Basciano into the construction business because he was worried about the source of Basciano's money, indicating drugs, so that fits Basciano keeping the drug deals w/ Montreal secret.