Louis Mannochio (informant?)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Louis Mannochio (informant?)

Post by Extortion »

I was readinf Rifleman by Howie Carr, the book on Steve Flemmi which is essentially a bunch of FBI files on Flemmi...At one point in this book it alleges that there is a high ranking RI mobster who is an informant and was for many years but stopped cooperating at some point...From what I remember; there was strong reason to believe this was Louis Manocchio and Id have to go through the book again and look for the specific mention but I did a lot of research...times, dates and names and it all pointed to him...

Then there was that interview with Frank Salemme Sr though vague he mentioned “there are guys cooperating that would make your head spin in new england” to that decree or something. Which was right around the time louis was boss I believe.

Has anyone heard anything relevant to this? I will go through Rifleman again and try to find the passages which backup my claims.
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Pete
Full Patched

Re: Louis Mannochio (informant?)

Post by Pete »

Probably Bobby deluca your thinking of
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
NewEnglandHere
Honorary Member

Post by NewEnglandHere »

THINKING OF DELUCA, LOU IS A SOLID GUY NEVER EVER WOULD HE BE A RAT . TAKE THAT AS FACT
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

no way.. he would have never been indicted and sent to prison when he was in his 80's if he had been cooperating as boss.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

From what was posted the informant had stopped cooperating at some point so it could have been Monacchio.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Ill look today and see if i can find it. Yeah i thought about deluca but this was the late 70s early 80s i think
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Ok I found it....pg 101-102 from Rifleman...

Flemmi speculated that Rhode Island LCN member Louis Baby Shanks Manocchio had been the individual who gave up the information that led to Salemme’s arrest. Manocbicco had been staying with Salemme at his New York apartment and is ______” (redacted...is an informant maybe is what is redacted”

Flemmi recalled that in the early 90s, Manocchio would often tell Salemme that Flemmi is no good. Flemmi assumed Manocchio had been told by his _______ that he was an informant (redacted, possibly “handlers”)
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

Extortion wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 pm Ok I found it....pg 101-102 from Rifleman...

Flemmi speculated that Rhode Island LCN member Louis Baby Shanks Manocchio had been the individual who gave up the information that led to Salemme’s arrest. Manocbicco had been staying with Salemme at his New York apartment and is ______” (redacted...is an informant maybe is what is redacted”

Flemmi recalled that in the early 90s, Manocchio would often tell Salemme that Flemmi is no good. Flemmi assumed Manocchio had been told by his _______ that he was an informant (redacted, possibly “handlers”)
is that when salemme was collared by john connolly in nyc? i could have sworn it was confirmed that steve flemmi was the one who gave up his location.. think i read that in "the brothers bulger". of course he would try and deflect attention away from himself being a rat.

plus, by the early 90's there had already been articles in the boston globe about whitey working with the government, so it wouldn't be too crazy for guys to be suspicious of his right-hand man as well.

i can't help but feel like there would be a lot more info available if manocchio had really been an informant, especially about providence. i also have a hard time believing nothing would have come out about it when he went to prison after it all. if he decided to stop informing and the feds indicted him as a result, why would they bother continuing to protect him from people finding out? this really seems like flemmi trying to sow seeds of distrust and trying to distort things to throw the trail off himself.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

TwoPiece wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm
Extortion wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 pm Ok I found it....pg 101-102 from Rifleman...

is that when salemme was collared by john connolly in nyc? i could have sworn it was confirmed that steve flemmi was the one who gave up his location.. think i read that in "the brothers bulger". of course he would try and deflect attention away from himself being a rat.

plus, by the early 90's there had already been articles in the boston globe about whitey working with the government, so it wouldn't be too crazy for guys to be suspicious of his right-hand man as well.

i can't help but feel like there would be a lot more info available if manocchio had really been an informant, especially about providence. i also have a hard time believing nothing would have come out about it when he went to prison after it all. if he decided to stop informing and the feds indicted him as a result, why would they bother continuing to protect him from people finding out? this really seems like flemmi trying to sow seeds of distrust and trying to distort things to throw the trail off himself.
Well just scarpa wasnt made public until much later and he never testified. If louis was an informant thats all he was not a state witness. Carmine lombardozzi was an informant but that didnt come out until after he died. You can find evidence of that on AmericanMafia.com I believe.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Its never been confirmed about Lombardozzi being a ci right
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

I don't know about all this man. Wasn't it Flemmi himself who gave up Salemme back in 72? He was the one meeting with him at Central Park once a week, and didn't Salemme get pinched like a week after Stevie took off for Montreal? It seems a massive stretch to think that if Manocchio was an informant that his handler would just give him the identity of other informants. I mean Jesus Christ that would be a big deal, a massive breach of protocol. Who else was doing that other than Connolly in his dealings with Flemmi and Bulger? Maybe Baby Shanks was telling Frank that Stevie is no good because, gee I don't know, he'd been a gangster for 30+ years at that point and never did any time? Riding around all day with a guy who also hadn't been arrested for 30 years (while all the guys around them got busted), a guy who was already accused by the Globe of being an informant? Not to mention the fact that Stevie skated on the same charge that Salemme got 30 years for lol.

After the shit I've learned from this forum there really isn't any wiseguy who would completely shock me if it came out that they were dry snitching (except a guy like Gotti or Chin), but this accusation seems weak to me.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Hired_Goonz wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:10 pm

I don't know about all this man. Wasn't it Flemmi himself who gave up Salemme back in 72? He was the one meeting with him at Central Park once a week, and didn't Salemme get pinched like a week after Stevie took off for Montreal? It seems a massive stretch to think that if Manocchio was an informant that his handler would just give him the identity of other informants. I mean Jesus Christ that would be a big deal, a massive breach of protocol. Who else was doing that other than Connolly in his dealings with Flemmi and Bulger? Maybe Baby Shanks was telling Frank that Stevie is no good because, gee I don't know, he'd been a gangster for 30+ years at that point and never did any time? Riding around all day with a guy who also hadn't been arrested for 30 years (while all the guys around them got busted), a guy who was already accused by the Globe of being an informant? Not to mention the fact that Stevie skated on the same charge that Salemme got 30 years for lol.

After the shit I've learned from this forum there really isn't any wiseguy who would completely shock me if it came out that they were dry snitching (except a guy like Gotti or Chin), but this accusation seems weak to me.
If Mannochio did that obviously it could have been a power play to take the spot. If he was a long time informant they wouldn’t have had a hard on for him and indicted him when he was 80 something. Maybe I’m wrong I always found why would a boss be a ci? They want the boss for the headlines what’s he gonna give up his underlings and they let him walk? Again the Salemme thing could be true as a power play but long time I doubt
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

Pete wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:22 pm

If Mannochio did that obviously it could have been a power play to take the spot. If he was a long time informant they wouldn’t have had a hard on for him and indicted him when he was 80 something. Maybe I’m wrong I always found why would a boss be a ci? They want the boss for the headlines what’s he gonna give up his underlings and they let him walk? Again the Salemme thing could be true as a power play but long time I doubt
Man all these guys could have been ratting on each other at various times over the years. There seemed to be a ton of that in New England. When I read that back I think I was too harsh on the theory that Manocchio could have been an informant. How much time did he do over the years? I don't know, I know he caught that case when he was in his 80s. For all we know he could have been dropping info back in the 70s or 80s. Maybe he had a guardian angel watching out for him when he was on the lam like Flemmi did. Don't forget Riccobene had his RICO case and his murder case when he was an old geezer and it never came out that he had snitched years earlier.

I guess I got my back up because it was from Flemmi lol in a world full of scumbags he is the scummiest of all. And I still have to believe that Flemmi would be the guy who got Salemme arrested back in NYC, after all the agent who "spotted" him on the street was the protege of the crooked ass agents who Stevie was in contact with the whole time.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Hired_Goonz wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:02 pm
Pete wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Man all these guys could have been ratting on each other at various times over the years. There seemed to be a ton of that in New England. When I read that back I think I was too harsh on the theory that Manocchio could have been an informant. How much time did he do over the years? I don't know, I know he caught that case when he was in his 80s. For all we know he could have been dropping info back in the 70s or 80s. Maybe he had a guardian angel watching out for him when he was on the lam like Flemmi did. Don't forget Riccobene had his RICO case and his murder case when he was an old geezer and it never came out that he had snitched years earlier.

I guess I got my back up because it was from Flemmi lol in a world full of scumbags he is the scummiest of all. And I still have to believe that Flemmi would be the guy who got Salemme arrested back in NYC, after all the agent who "spotted" him on the street was the protege of the crooked ass agents who Stevie was in contact with the whole time.
He was on the lam for 10 years 69-79 doubt he was informing on the Lam
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

Extortion wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:52 pm
TwoPiece wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Well just scarpa wasnt made public until much later and he never testified. If louis was an informant thats all he was not a state witness. Carmine lombardozzi was an informant but that didnt come out until after he died. You can find evidence of that on AmericanMafia.com I believe.
yeah some guys slide under the radar with it for certain, but i just dont think flemmi is a credible source in this instance since he is literally the guy who ratted on salemme in nyc and is lying to salemme in that conversation. imo it's a clear move of him trying to take any suspicion off himself. you really never do know with that lifestyle though.