Project Otremens Recordings

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

OcSleeper
Full Patched

Project Otremens Recordings

Post by OcSleeper »

I know some of this has been posted and discussed in the Buffalo/Ontario thread already. But anything worth discussing there gets buried by the same argument every few weeks and I think these recordings deserve their own place for easy access.

This comes from Anna Sergi's new paper. In it she has several excerpts from recordings that took place between the Violi brothers and the police informant.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 22.2151036
Dom Violi claims he was “promoted” to Underboss of the Buffalo family (the “Sicilians”) and now he has a few outstanding items to consider: first, the affiliation of his brother Joe, possibly to Buffalo but more likely to the Bonanno crew in New York City; second, the need to properly communicate the “new order” to everyone in the proper manner. In fact, the uncles (Rocco and Natale Luppino) need to be informed directly by Joe Todaro (alleged boss of the Buffalo family), he says, while talks with “the guys in Montreal … when they figure out their own mess over there” also would be appropriate. The “big guys will sort this out”, in New York and Buffalo, both Dom Violi and the Agent seem to settle. That conversation ends with Dom Violi agreeing that everyone wants to be friends, and that “everyone works together nowadays and that the old walls are gone”.
D Violi repeated that “he” (Joe Todaro) told D Violi to let “him” (Joe Todaro) tell “them” (the Uncles, Rocco and Natale Luppino). The Agent agreed; that if they (Uncles) had heard it from D Violi it would be the wrong way. D Violi stated that he had actually told “him” (Joe Todaro) that D Violi would not tell them; that then “he” (Joe Todaro) said it.
It appears Violi is referring to needing a 3rd party to introduce him to his uncles as the new Underboss of Buffalo. It appears Todaro originally told Violi he could do it himself but after push back from Dom about it not being the proper way Todaro agreed he would tell them himself.

It's interesting since many of us got the idea Todaro was a stickler for the rules and proper protocol based off of the reports that he was upset over Iavarone (and the Caputo brothers) being made into another Family without his knowledge. It's almost funny how Violi didn't seem as bothered by the unsanctioned inductions, the reports just said he agreed Todaro had a right to be upset. Then on this issue of 3rd party introductions Todaro didnt seem to care but Violi pushed back saying it wasn't the right way until Todaro agreed.
D Violi said that he learned that New York has called Todaro to come and be a part of the commission
Not sure what to make of "the big guys will sort this out" in NY and Buffalo, if it's in reference to his introductions or the mess over in Montreal. Is the big guys a reference to the Commission? Are the guys in Montreal the Rizzuto-Sicilian Faction or is it a reference to Arcadi, Cotroni, and Mucci, the three people Violi offered to introduce the police informant to.
D Violi stated that Joe Todaro was right; he should have been told that A Iavarone and A Caputo had been straightened out [allegedly in the Gambino family in California], because it was in Todaro’s area.
Back in Sergi's book she mentioned a Caputo also being made and with a followup email from Nizar, Sergi clarified that reports indicated a Paolo and Martino Caputo were inducted into the NY Gambino's operating in LA.
Now her paper seems to say it was an "A Caputo", likely the third brother, Antonio. This seems more likely given Felice's information of Antonio Caputo being active in NY.
The PA asked asked who D Violi met in Florida … the Colombo? The Gambino? … D Violi stated no; that they were there, but that D Violi had not met them the right way; that that was why “he” (J Todaro) wanted D Violi to go to New York, to meet them the right way
Again Violi talking about not being introduced by a 3rd party. The Agent specifically asked about the Gambinos and Colombos, I wonder if there's some link between them and Canada. We know the Gambinos have some interest in Ontario but a Colombo angle is new.
J Violi didn’t know if it was the Cuntreras through the Musitanos looking to get rid of someone in Toronto; the Agent asked J Violi who gave the Musitanos the okay to do the hit – J Violi felt it may have been Joe Todaro. The Agent did not think J Todaro would kill individuals that were “made” without getting permission from New York.
It'd be nice to know when this conversation took place and who the "someone in Toronto" is. In the period of 2015-2017 there were a handful of murders that took place but they all seem to be more 'Ndrangheta related than LCN. The only one that doesn't fall into that category that I have listed is the Alfredo Patriarca murder that took place on August 21, 2016. In a previous thread I wondered about his affiliations. He's been called a Toronto Rizzuto associate and was close to the Caputo brothers. His murder was also eerily similar to murders that took place in Hamilton (Angelo Musitano & Albert Iavarone). To think out loud, could this have been the start of the conflict between the Musitanos and Iavarones in Hamilton? If Patriarca was another one of these Gambino/LA guys, did the Musitanos kill him to which the Iavarones retaliated to?

This conversation would also imply the Musitanos answered to Buffalo. Former Hamilton Police officer Paul Manning and Halton Police Sgt Stephen Metelsky have said they and the RCMP believe Pat Musitano was inducted in Buffalo after Papalia's murder in 1997.

A excerpt below from a previous article covering the Hamilton conflict.
In the court documents, Violi is quoted as saying the Musitanos were supporting the Cuntrera's — a crime family that has roots in Montreal and Toronto. Someone set a fire and shot up the home of Giuseppe Cuntrera, who is called "Big Joe" in the court documents, in 2017.

"'They' said, ok you support [them] we would fix you too. The [police agent] asked if [Pat Musitano] was around. D Violi stated that [P Musitano] was around, but that he was in hiding; that he was not in Hamilton, he was outside," the court documents say
If the documents quoted above are true, maybe the Musitanos aligned themselves with the Cuntreras and murdered this made man in Toronto in an unsanctioned hit and that explains Violi saying "'They' said, ok you support [them] we would fix you too"

“The Agent stated that Joe Todaro had told Natale Luppino that he did not recognize Joe and Paolo Cuntrera as made members of a crime family” and that “Rocco Luppino agreed that they should not be recognized, who knew if they were even made in Italy”. However, a high-ranking member of the NYC Bonanno family had introduced them as “friends of ours”.
This dynamic between the Bonannos recognizing the Cuntreras while Buffalo does not, all the while Buffalo (Violi/Luppinos and Bonanno (police informant) are working closely together is interesting. It's not exactly the same as the Luccheses not recognizing Philly while the Gambinos do recognize them and the two still do business in NY together. We have the Cuntreras and Musitanos apparently commiting acts of violence against Luppino friends/allies and in some cases family.
when the Agent was discussing the prospect for Joe Violi to join the Bonanno Family in New York City, Joe Violi apparently commented that he would rather stay put: “would only see them once every ten years … if you are never going to see these people what’s the point of being with them?”.
I wonder what exactly stay put means in this sense. Does it mean he doesn't want to be made? Or would he rather stay put within Buffalo's influence and be made with them? Both Dom and Joe Violi were present at the police informants induction which could imply he was made with Buffalo by that time.

And to clear it up since some people believe they were actually apart of the induction ceremony, the photo stills of the induction ceremony clearly show only 3 people in the hotel room. 1. The informant, 2. Daminao Zummo, and I believe the third was John Zancocchio. Dom and Joe weren't in the room at the time.

On a side note, back on a podcast Metelsky did, Game of Crimes, Metelsky said Paul Semplice (Gambino) was also at the induction.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Re: Project Otremens Recordings

Post by Newyorkempire »

I think as far as Todaro flip flopping a little on protocol - Hes human, lapse of continuity in his earlier beef about Iavarone and Caputo, maybe he was tired, maybe he was annoyed at the time. Dont think that can be looked at as being something of huge significance.

When it comes to J Violi i think it is most likely stay put with Buffalo with his brother.

And if Todaro is talking that flagrantly about the Cuntreras hes got some balls still for someone in a theorized "nominal" boss position.
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

OcSleeper wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:59 pm
when the Agent was discussing the prospect for Joe Violi to join the Bonanno Family in New York City, Joe Violi apparently commented that he would rather stay put: “would only see them once every ten years … if you are never going to see these people what’s the point of being with them?”.
I wonder what exactly stay put means in this sense. Does it mean he doesn't want to be made? Or would he rather stay put within Buffalo's influence and be made with them? Both Dom and Joe Violi were present at the police informants induction which could imply he was made with Buffalo by that time.
I interpreted that as Joe Violi not wanting to be a Bonanno member rather than not being made at all. The notes cites that particular piece of information as coming from May 6, 2015, so if Violi was a Buffalo member by the time of Morena's ceremony he'd have to be made between May and November 2015.

However, I'm not sure Joe Violi was inducted at that time because the article also states when Dom is promoted to underboss in 2017 his brother's affiliation is regarded as an "outstanding item to consider".
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:11 pm
OcSleeper wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:59 pm
I interpreted that as Joe Violi not wanting to be a Bonanno member rather than not being made at all. The notes cites that particular piece of information as coming from May 6, 2015, so if Violi was a Buffalo member by the time of Morena's ceremony he'd have to be made between May and November 2015.

However, I'm not sure Joe Violi was inducted at that time because the article also states when Dom is promoted to underboss in 2017 his brother's affiliation is regarded as an "outstanding item to consider".
So stay put with Buffalo in "waiting mode"? As it may have not been proper to make both brothers at the same time as the deference was more towards Dom.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Excellent thread that sheds new light and opens new questions about the politics in Canada and for that matter the US.

Interested in knowing who the NYC Bonanno leader was who formally introduced the Sicilian-made Caruana-Cuntreras to others.

We as outsiders continue to be humbled by what we don't know.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

I'll post what we talked about in the Buffalo thread here too so it's all in one place viewtopic.php?p=244937#p244937

Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:24 pm
chin_gigante wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:21 pm
nizarsoccer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:53 pm D Violi said that he learned that New York has called Todaro to come and be a part of the commission.

Reading through this article now, it's really interesting. This part in particular stood out to me. In the notes this information is cited as coming from a Project Otremens debrief report dated December 6, 2016.

Leonard Falzone died of natural causes on November 12, 2016, so the timing of this conversation makes me wonder whether this was actually in reference to Todaro being offered a commission seat or if it's a case of the telephone game. I think it's plausible this could have simply been about (at least some) New York families recognising Todaro as official boss of Buffalo following Falzone's death.

Then the argument would go back to Falzone being in control of a "dead" family for 8-10 years before his death and why would NY need to know about a family that wasnt there.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

OcSleeper wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:59 pm The Agent specifically asked about the Gambinos and Colombos, I wonder if there's some link between them and Canada. We know the Gambinos have some interest in Ontario but a Colombo angle is new.
We also know that after Violi was promoted to underboss that at least the Bonanno, Colombo, and Genovese families were informed. Though in table 1 in the article charting some of the relations between groups, only the Gambino and Bonannos are listed being 'partnered' with Canadian groups.
Gambino (in partnership with 'ndrangheta-Siderno group), Genovese, Bonanno (in partnership with Rizzuto, with Luppino-Violi) Lucchese Colombo
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:19 pm I'll post what we talked about in the Buffalo thread here too so it's all in one place viewtopic.php?p=244937#p244937

Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:24 pm
chin_gigante wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:21 pm
nizarsoccer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:53 pm D Violi said that he learned that New York has called Todaro to come and be a part of the commission.

Reading through this article now, it's really interesting. This part in particular stood out to me. In the notes this information is cited as coming from a Project Otremens debrief report dated December 6, 2016.

Leonard Falzone died of natural causes on November 12, 2016, so the timing of this conversation makes me wonder whether this was actually in reference to Todaro being offered a commission seat or if it's a case of the telephone game. I think it's plausible this could have simply been about (at least some) New York families recognising Todaro as official boss of Buffalo following Falzone's death.

Then the argument would go back to Falzone being in control of a "dead" family for 8-10 years before his death and why would NY need to know about a family that wasnt there.
I would think that the difference of being on the commission and a new boss taking over would not be misconstrued by any members. Very distinct difference to blame on the telephone game.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 00.26.22.png
The full chart of some of the relationships between groups.

On a side note it's interesting considering what little we know about Andrea Scoppa's official affiliation that the Scoppa group is described as "Calabrian origin but no affiliation".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:28 pm Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 00.26.22.png

The full chart of some of the relationships between groups.

On a side note it's interesting considering what little we know about Andrea Scoppa's official affiliation that the Scoppa group is described as "Calabrian origin but no affiliation".
Interesting seeing Rochester...so that has to be Marotta? Frasetto? So past membership in Buffalo still technically supercedes more recent alliance to Bonannos? As they are under that header.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

What LoVaglio said about the close relationship between Philly, DeCavalcantes, the NYC Families and possibly even modern relationships to the Patriarcas and Tampa should make it unsurprising NYC would want to have a relationship to Todaro and a meeting would be arranged to recognize him / be introduced with his title.

It's amazing what a few snippets from a member CI's cooperation can reveal about Canada. It opens many new questions but shows international Cosa Nostra formalities are still a factor in their politics / relationships despite outsiders making their best guesses.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

B. wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:44 pm What LoVaglio said about the close relationship between Philly, DeCavalcantes, the NYC Families and possibly even modern relationships to the Patriarcas and Tampa should make it unsurprising NYC would want to have a relationship to Todaro and a meeting would be arranged to recognize him / be introduced with his title.

It's amazing what a few snippets from a member CI's cooperation can reveal about Canada. It opens many new questions but shows international Cosa Nostra formalities are still a factor in their politics / relationships despite outsiders making their best guesses.
Modern relationships between Patriarcas and Tampa?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:48 pm
B. wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:44 pm What LoVaglio said about the close relationship between Philly, DeCavalcantes, the NYC Families and possibly even modern relationships to the Patriarcas and Tampa should make it unsurprising NYC would want to have a relationship to Todaro and a meeting would be arranged to recognize him / be introduced with his title.
During the Merlino trial in 2018, Lovaglio testified that in his experience, the Bonanno family worked with the Colombo, Genovese, Gambino, Lucchese, Philadelphia, and DeCavalcante families, as well as the “Connecticut family”, [possibly meaning Patriarca] and the “Trafficante family in Florida”
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:54 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:48 pm
During the Merlino trial in 2018, Lovaglio testified that in his experience, the Bonanno family worked with the Colombo, Genovese, Gambino, Lucchese, Philadelphia, and DeCavalcante families, as well as the “Connecticut family”, [possibly meaning Patriarca] and the “Trafficante family in Florida”
Any more context? Was he referring to modern times as in that decade?
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

B. wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:35 pm Interested in knowing who the NYC Bonanno leader was who formally introduced the Sicilian-made Caruana-Cuntreras to others.
Joe Violi seemed to think the Bonannos didn't come to Canada often and I'm sure 10 years was an exaggeration but it's possible late 2015 was the last visit. So with that in mind I wonder if it was Zancocchio or Zummo that made the introductions.

I am correct that the "John" that attended the ceremony was Zancocchio right? I remember reading/hearing it but can't remember where to confirm it.