Bumpy Johnson

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Bumpy Johnson

Post by Don_Peppino »

Bumpy was one of the more fascinating and mythical associates of the LCN. I don't think he has ever really gotten his due within the genre and maybe it's because (other than the obvious thing in being African-American) some of the historical facts are unclear. Has anyone in the forum been able to clarify his association (if any) to Lucky Luciano?
Do we know, who exactly he was associated with in Harlem? What the actual facts are behind the numbers war with Dutch Schultz and the fallout? And who he was connected too when he was on the streets in the 50's/60's?
"I was a venture capitalist"
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Bumpy Johnson

Post by Wiseguy »

The late Lt. Remo Franceschini discusses Johnson at length in his autobiography. He said through the investigations they found Johnson was essentially the middle man for the Italians (primarily the Genovese family - the bankers) in the black areas of Harlem. This was after Dutch Schultz had been eliminated, of course, and the Italians had moved in.
All roads lead to New York.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:50 pm The late Lt. Remo Franceschini discusses Johnson at length in his autobiography. He said through the investigations they found Johnson was essentially the middle man for the Italians (primarily the Genovese family - the bankers) in the black areas of Harlem. This was after Dutch Schultz had been eliminated, of course, and the Italians had moved in.
What about the dope
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:53 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:50 pm The late Lt. Remo Franceschini discusses Johnson at length in his autobiography. He said through the investigations they found Johnson was essentially the middle man for the Italians (primarily the Genovese family - the bankers) in the black areas of Harlem. This was after Dutch Schultz had been eliminated, of course, and the Italians had moved in.
What about the dope
I don't recall Franceschini mentioning heroin specifically in regards to Johnson but, considering the Italians more or less controlled the heroin supply throughout the timeframe of his criminal career, so I imagine the arrangement was the same.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:59 pm
What about the dope
I don't recall Franceschini mentioning heroin specifically in regards to Johnson but, considering the Italians more or less controlled the heroin supply throughout the timeframe of his criminal career, so I imagine the arrangement was the same.
Interesting tho bc now he is actually more known for dope now due to Frank lieing Lucas and also shows like king of Harlem

I would be interested to know if all the other organizations in the tv show were real - I forgot all there names but I’m sure they were probably mostly made up

That tv show (king off Harlem) pretty much rapes the truth
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

So can we assume that Bumpy's point of contact may have been "Trigger" Mike Coppola, who was the Genovese power in harlem during that time? And also, was there any association to Steve Lasalle ( Lucchese), who was also a power on harlem during the 30s/40s in the numbers racket?.

Bumpy could definitely use a through biography.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:17 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:59 pm
What about the dope
Interesting tho bc now he is actually more known for dope now due to Frank lieing Lucas and also shows like king of Harlem

I would be interested to know if all the other organizations in the tv show were real - I forgot all there names but I’m sure they were probably mostly made up

That tv show (king off Harlem) pretty much rapes the truth
The revisionist history started with the 1997 movie Hoodlum and has apparently continued in the King of Harlem series.
Don_Peppino wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:02 pm So can we assume that Bumpy's point of contact may have been "Trigger" Mike Coppola, who was the Genovese power in harlem during that time? And also, was there any association to Steve Lasalle ( Lucchese), who was also a power on harlem during the 30s/40s in the numbers racket?.

Bumpy could definitely use a through biography.
If I remember right, the investigation into the Harlem numbers racket Franceschini talks about was in the 1960s. I don't recall any specific mob names.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Bumpy’s family members were pretty outspoken about Frank Lucas and the American Gangster story. Lucas kinda combined three stories (Bumpy, Frank Matthews, Ike Atkinson) and made it his own. I think the only reason they never sued him is because he was perpetually broke. He got caught at one point stealing his own sons social security. Even with the American Gangster check he was a brokester.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

There was a gentleman on here that was from Harlem that could set this straight. An intermediary to the Italians was the 1920s and 1930s. As that poster makes clear, by the 50s, Puerto Ricans ran most of the major rackets on Harlem (Angelet brothers, Spanish Ray, etc.). The Italians had their own spots for sure, but so did the Cubans, Blacks, people from the Islands, PRs, etc. There was no overarching payment to the Italians besides a token for the daily number payed by Spanish Ray. Where they shared mutual spots, I'm sure they shared profits with other ethnic gangs.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Interesting, what is the name of the book?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:51 am
A Matter of Honor: One Cop's Lifelong Pursuit of John Gotti and the Mob (1993)
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:04 am
aleksandrored wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:51 am
A Matter of Honor: One Cop's Lifelong Pursuit of John Gotti and the Mob (1993)
Thanks!!
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Don_Peppino wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:15 amI don't think he has ever really gotten his due within the genre
they did make a Hollywood movie about him though
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

Ivan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:07 am
Don_Peppino wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:15 amI don't think he has ever really gotten his due within the genre
they did make a Hollywood movie about him though
Agreed, but I guess I mean in print. There has never been a historically accurate definitive biography written about him. Or the context of the fight over the numbers with Dutch Schultz. The aftermath of that would result in the Luciano (eventual Genovese) Family acquiring a large portion of that market in Harlem. I believe Tony Salerno would inherit this empire later on.
There were several millionaire policy bankers in the 1920s. Alex Pompez, Casper Holstein, Jose Miro, Stephanie St. Claire, and a few others to name a few. Schultz was a power in his own right. Supposedly 40 murders and several kidnappings happened diring their street war 1934/1935. In my opinion this makes Bumpy a big leaguer (in the aspect of being a true "american gangster"). And some of the myths, jist need some clarification. Like, Did Bumpy and Luciano actually ever meet??? And there's a blank spot in Johnson's history during the 40s and 50s. I know he was in jail alot but some of that street time is undocumented, to my knowledge.
faffy444
On Record

Post by faffy444 »

Try this book about Bumpy
Harlem Godfather: The Rap on My Husband, Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson