Gambino after Anastasia hit

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Gambino after Anastasia hit

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Watched Anthony ruggiano jnr podcast

He said after the Anastasia hit there were four or so captains (including Neil dellacroce) that had to hide bc gambino was trying to hit them bc they were Anastasia hitters

Tbh i thought gsmbino did it on the sneak tip n that was another reason they possibly farmed the hit team out to possibly persico et Al (I believe it’s been dis proven by now)

Any more info
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
TSNYC
Straightened out

Re: Gambino after Anastasia hit

Post by TSNYC »

There are CI reports that indicated the hit was set up by the East Village Crew of Dongarra/Riccobono, and the shooters were Steve Grammauta and Joe Cahill.

Breakdown here: https://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/gambinoinf.html
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Santantonio (the CI) who was a member of the Dongarra crew said the hit was the work of the Riccobono-Biondo faction because Anastasia put a contract on Riccobono (Anastasia had killed Riccobono's distant cousin Scalise already). Joe Franco of the Anastasia faction betrayed Albert and informed Riccobono, whose faction carried out the murder on their own.

Riccobono took responsibility for the murder and contacted capodecina Domenico Arcuri who served as a messenger or mediator. Carlo Gambino was consigliere and was not mentioned by Santantonio as one of the conspirators. We can infer that Gambino was an ally of them but it appears to be a myth that Carlo Gambino was directly part of the murder beyond Riccobono maybe consulting with him.

That the new administration became Gambino, Biondo, and Riccobono speaks volumes.

I have to believe the rumors of the Colombo Joey Gallo being involved originally came from Joe N. Gallo's involvement.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:11 pm I have to believe the rumors of the Colombo Joey Gallo being involved originally came from Joe N. Gallo's involvement.
I suppose that would somewhat depend on the timeline and the truthfulness of Sidney Slater's account. He claimed that Gallo personally bragged to him that he had been involved about a week after the murder, however the story doesn't get picked up in the press as far as I can tell until 1963
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

As for the Anastasia faction, this is what I've deduced:

- Tommy Rava, John Robilotto, and Neil Dellacroce were the main leaders of the Anastasia faction after the murder. The Anastasia faction of course predated his murder.

- Joe Franco and Carmine Lombardozzi had been earlier members of this faction before Anastasia's murder but Franco betrayed Anastasia and got him killed. Franco dies, but Lombardozzi appears to have aligned himself with the Gambino-Riccobono faction. Ed suspects (as do I) that Lombardozzi "testified" on behalf of Riccobono that Anastasia did indeed put a contract out on leaders of that faction, which a boss did not have the right to do without Commission/consiglio approval.

- According to Magaddino, Rava was a capodecina overseeing a group of many other captains. Robilotto was also a captain and Dellacroce was apparently a soldier under Rava. Rava hid out in Florida.

- John Robilotto decided to "come in" and make peace with the acting leadership under consigliere Carlo Gambino. As a result, Rava and Dellacroce ordered Robilotto's murder. Robilotto was extremely well-liked inside and outside of NYC, with various sources disturbed by it even years later.

- A source was told (I suspect he may have been involved) that Rava decina member Toddo Aurello and a hit team tracked Rava down in FL and killed Rava and an unidentified man. He was never found.

- Another source said Rava was taken to a FL funeral home where Joe Indelicato and Tommy Altamura put him in a coffin and stabbed him with icepicks. They then disposed of his body in the ocean.

^^^ I suspect these two different accounts can be reconciled, i.e. Aurello shot Rava to death, his body was taken to the funeral home where the disposal team (Indelicato + Altamura) were waiting and they stabbed him with the icepicks to ensure he was dead before getting rid of the body

- Dellacroce "comes in" after the Rava murder and is promoted to capodecina. In 1962, Angelo Bruno describes Dellacroce as a "capodecina di capodecina", very similar to the way Magaddino described Rava as a captain overseeing a faction of captains.

- Dellacroce is later made underboss where he continues to oversee a faction of captains until his death though it appears this faction shrunk to a couple of main crews.

- Jimmy Squillante was part of the Anastasia faction and suspected of the Scalise murders, but Joe Valachi said he was murdered after being called to an arguimendo where Squillante disparaged Anastasia. Valachi felt that Squillante was killed at least in part because of how flimsy his loyalties were and the way he spoke against his former boss. Who knows?
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

Thanks for the summary B.
Didn't Nino Gaggi mention to his nephew he was involved with the Squillante murder as a revenge for Scalise with whom he was related (from Murder machine)?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, Gaggi apparently helped kill Squillante. Gaggi was a relative of Frank Scalise like Montiglio said, but Montiglio said Gaggi got his button for it which doesn't really fit since the books were closed and it's assumed Gaggi was a member by 1976.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:58 pm Yeah, Gaggi apparently helped kill Squillante. Gaggi was a relative of Frank Scalise like Montiglio said, but Montiglio said Gaggi got his button for it which doesn't really fit since the books were closed and it's assumed Gaggi was a member by 1976.
What's the source for this? It's not in Murder Machine (Gaggi just mentions killing Squillante but doesn't say anything about getting made for it, unless I'm misremembering things). I guess from a deposition or something?
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Also Capeci's version of this conspiracy has Arnold Wittenberg as the second shooter, not Cahill. I guess that's bullshit?
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Ivan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:36 am What's the source for this? It's not in Murder Machine (Gaggi just mentions killing Squillante but doesn't say anything about getting made for it, unless I'm misremembering things). I guess from a deposition or something?
It's in the first chapter of Murder Machine:
The new family left for Levittown in the summer of 1960, unaware that Nino was about to revenge a personal loss, close the books on an underworld power struggle, and become a made member of what was now the Gambino Mafia family—all in one vicious stroke.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

B. wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:58 pm Yeah, Gaggi apparently helped kill Squillante. Gaggi was a relative of Frank Scalise like Montiglio said, but Montiglio said Gaggi got his button for it which doesn't really fit since the books were closed and it's assumed Gaggi was a member by 1976.
I think there were special occasion where guys got made between late 50s & 1976
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Does anyone have any background info and crew details on a Louis DeFilippo?

He allegedly participated in an attempted hit on Dellacroce after Anastasia was hit. Would be interesting to know which crew he hailed from and eventually led (he was the skipper before Nino Inzerillo right?)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Not aware of DeFilippo being a captain but he was an influential soldier on 18th avenue. May have been with the Ferrara crew, not sure.

I don't think there was any continuity with the zip crew beyond representing 18th ave.
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Shellackhead wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:52 pm
Agreed. Especially in the Gambinos I recall reading a couple of reports were guys were supposedly made between the time of the great book closing.
A fish with its mouth closed never gets caught.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

DonPeppino386 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:40 am
Shellackhead wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:52 pm
Agreed. Especially in the Gambinos I recall reading a couple of reports were guys were supposedly made between the time of the great book closing.
Also I think some families still made people when the books were closed (the ones outside of the NYC families) I don’t know who It was if it was Allie boy the brother or Little Allie Boy Persico that was made in the buffalo family & then transferred to the Colombo’s in 1970