Springfield Family 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Springfield Family 1963

Post by PolackTony »

Only info I could find for Tony Bonacina was from the 1930 Venus, when he was incarcerated in MO. Stated that he was born 1905 in MO. Maybe some spelling issue or he was using an alias, as nothing else seems to come up. If his actual name was Bonacina, he’d most likely be of Northern ancestry.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:14 am There was a Tony DeCarlo who was tried for robbing the Brotherhood National Bank in Kansas City, Kansas in Sept 1932. He was found guilty and a life sentence was urged. A Gus Nigro was tried with him. There were a couple people with the Nigro surname who were connected with the Kansas City, MO., DiGiovannis. Paul DiGiovanni was named as the boss of the Kansas City, MO borgata in the early 1920s, and his brothers Joseph and Pete had multiple arrests for bootlegging and were leaders in the KC Family. Francesco Coppola could be "Three Fingers" Frank Coppola, but there's not enough info to confirm that it was the same guy. Tony DiGiovanni could be one of the Chicago cousins of the KC DiGiovanni brothers. Fred Smith resembles Fred "Jukebox" Smith, but it's such a common name that we would need other documentation to confirm.
This was in fact the Coppola as he was using the alias Angelo Vota, which was a common alias for him at the time.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:02 pm Another deceased suspected member was Leonardo Ciaccio. All the candidates I found were from Sciacca.
So far as I can tell the Sciaccatani guys all settled in Boston or NYC. Very good bet that the Leonardo Ciaccio of Springfield was from Sambuca, though I haven’t been able to confirm his ancestry (records for this time period in Sambuca are not available). There were a bunch of Ciaccios from there in Chicago and Rockford. One Leonardo Ciaccio who was from Sambuca lived first in Rockford, then in Chicago. Given the shared name and the Riela connection to the Springfield Ciaccio, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a relation.

Nick Ciaccio, who was the stepson of Leonardo Ciaccio of Springfield and son of his wife, Maria Sacco, married Genevieve Bardi, born in Springfield. Maria Sacco seems to have been from Castelvetrano, and her son Nick was born Domenico Campo in Montevago, so his birth father was clearly a relative of the other Campos. Maria immigrated with her kids (presumably the husband died) and married Leonardo Ciaccio in Springfield. Genevieve Bardi was the daughter of Giuseppe Bardi (most likely a Northerner) and Angelina Maggie, of Sambuca. Angelina was the older sister of Jennie Maggio, wife of Phil Bacino. The other mother of the other Leonardo Ciaccio, from Rockford and Chicago, was also a Maggio.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:57 pm
B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:02 pm Another deceased suspected member was Leonardo Ciaccio. All the candidates I found were from Sciacca.
So far as I can tell the Sciaccatani guys all settled in Boston or NYC. Very good bet that the Leonardo Ciaccio of Springfield was from Sambuca, though I haven’t been able to confirm his ancestry (records for this time period in Sambuca are not available). There were a bunch of Ciaccios from there in Chicago and Rockford. One Leonardo Ciaccio who was from Sambuca lived first in Rockford, then in Chicago. Given the shared name and the Riela connection to the Springfield Ciaccio, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a relation.

Nick Ciaccio, who was the stepson of Leonardo Ciaccio of Springfield and son of his wife, Maria Sacco, married Genevieve Bardi, born in Springfield. Maria Sacco seems to have been from Castelvetrano, and her son Nick was born Domenico Campo in Montevago, so his birth father was clearly a relative of the other Campos. Maria immigrated with her kids (presumably the husband died) and married Leonardo Ciaccio in Springfield. Genevieve Bardi was the daughter of Giuseppe Bardi (most likely a Northerner) and Angelina Maggie, of Sambuca. Angelina was the older sister of Jennie Maggio, wife of Phil Bacino. The other mother of the other Leonardo Ciaccio, from Rockford and Chicago, was also a Maggio.
Now here’s something even more interesting.

Springfield Leonardo Ciaccio’s parents, per his death record, were Vito Ciaccio and Rosalia Giordano. Giordano is found in Sambuca also, but I wanted to check further, given Tony Giordano in STL being Terrasinese. By 1917, Rosalia Giordano was living with Leonardo in Springfield, where she died in 1930. Her death record just stated that she was born in Italy in 1851, but gave her parents as Giuseppe Giordano (Leonardo had a younger brother named Giuseppe who died in Springfield in 1940) and Giuseppina Ventimiglia. Now, in 1913, a widowed Rosalia Giordano, born in 1851, arrived in NYC bound for Tamaroa, a tiny town in Perry County in Downstate IL (not far from Johnston City/Marion). Rosalia stated that she was from Terrasini, and the Ventimiglias in Tamaroa were also Terrasinesi. So this was almost certainly Leonardo Ciaccio’s mother, and it looks like she was from Terrasini. The Ciaccio surname, however, is not recorded in Terrasini, and hardly at all in Western Palermo province in general. It’s very much concentrated around Sciacca, Sambuca, and Castelvetrano. So, likely that there were connections already. back in Sicily between these areas.

I’ve never delved into Tony Giordano’s genealogy, so I have no idea if there is any direct relation.

The Aiello family in Springfield, involved in bootlegging and some high profile murders in the 1920s, were also from Terrasini.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

There were Detroit members named Ventimiglia so that fits.

Tony Giordano was Terrasinese I'm pretty sure and his relatives were involved with the Detroit Family. Makes sense there'd be spillover from the STL area into Springfield.

I had Patsy Aiello from Castelvetrano -- is that incorrect or were there other Aiellos from Terrasini?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Now that I think of it, I may have only verified that Patsy Aiello's mother Ninfa D'Angelo was from Castelvetrano. If that's correct and his father was from Terrasini that's a new combo. It would play into the Terrasini / Sambuca connection if that's true of Ciaccio.

Here is what I saw on Ninfa:

Name Ninfa D'Angelo
Sex Female
Age 44
Death Date 07 Sep 1917
Death Place Castelvetrano, Trapani, Italy
Birth Year (Estimated) 1873
Birthplace Castelvetrano
Father's Name Giuseppe
Mother's Name Antonina Infranca
Spouse's Name Gaspare Aiello
Spouse's Sex Male
Event Type Death
Certificate Number 363
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:10 pm Now that I think of it, I may have only verified that Patsy Aiello's mother Ninfa D'Angelo was from Castelvetrano. If that's correct and his father was from Terrasini that's a new combo. It would play into the Terrasini / Sambuca connection if that's true of Ciaccio.

Name Ninfa D'Angelo
Sex Female
Age 44
Death Date 07 Sep 1917
Birthplace Castelvetrano
Father's Name Giuseppe
Spouse's Sex Male
Event Type Death
Certificate Number 363
Pasquale Aiello was born in Castelvetrano, but I’m not sure about his father. Interesting that his name was Gaspare, as a Gaspare Aiello who was Terrasinese and murdered in Springfield in 1927 is what I was talking about. There were at least two other Terrasinese Gaspare Aiellos in Springfield, so it would have been quite coincidence if Patsy’s dad was a completely unrelated Gaspare Aiello. Was able to confirm Ninfa D’Angelo’s death in 1917 in Castelvetrano and her husband was listed as Gaspare Aiello, but no record that I found for him in Castelvetrano.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:31 pm There were Detroit members named Ventimiglia so that fits.

Tony Giordano was Terrasinese I'm pretty sure and his relatives were involved with the Detroit Family. Makes sense there'd be spillover from the STL area into Springfield.

I had Patsy Aiello from Castelvetrano -- is that incorrect or were there other Aiellos from Terrasini?
Pretty sure old man Giuseppe Priola's wife was a Ventimiglia but I think she was from Ficarazzi same as Priola was.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:43 am
B. wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:31 pm There were Detroit members named Ventimiglia so that fits.

Pretty sure old man Giuseppe Priola's wife was a Ventimiglia but I think she was from Ficarazzi same as Priola was.
Correct on both counts.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 am
cavita wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:25 pm
cavita wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm
B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:01 pm Frank Zito lived in Benld as a miner too and I think Frank Abbate from Cinisi was living there at the time he was killed. It shows up a lot -- there was a small but strong Sicilian colony there at one point and mafiosi lived/passed through. Johnson City is another one like that but way further south. Peoria had stuff going on too.

This is relevant:

- Obviously Gary and Rockford were their own groups, but the perception was the Springfield Family may have had people in other areas, including Peoria. Tony and I talked about Peoria since a 1960s Chicago informant said they had a mafia presence.
The following passage is an entry from Joe Zito’s FBI file from December 12, 1969 which reads: “During the 1930’s, JOE and FRANK ZITO bossed a gang of individuals who operated out of Gary, Indiana and Springfield, Rockford and Peoria, Illinois. The group was made up primarily of Chicago and Rockford hoodlums and they engaged in extortion and kidnaping.” It was this group that was most likely involved in the Spring Valley, Illinois kidnapping and extortion of Fred DeFilippi.
Attached is an excerpt from Phil Priola's FBI file regarding the kidnap ring and the Zito brothers. Some other interesting names in there which include Joe Balsamo aka Dominic Padro and Francesco Coppola. I have included what I have interpreted the redacted portions to be through research in newspapers and other FBI files. If anyone has any corrections, please let me know.

On March 28, 1933, [FRANCESCO COPPOLA (aka ANGELO VOTA), MIKE TALARICO, JOE VARSALONA, VICTOR CIESIELSKI, WESLEY E. PRITCHETT, JOHN SICILIANO, FRANK SMITH, DAN ZOOK, JULE VEYS, JOE MARANDO, EDWARD MOORE,] TONY BONACINA, PHIL PALMERO (aka PHIL PRIOLA), [VINCE BURMAN, CARL DELBONO and FRANK DELBONO (aka JOHN CASTAGNA)] were indicted at Peoria, Illinois.

[TALARICO, FRANK DELBONO] and [JOE VARSALONA] were convicted and sentenced to 42 years in Federal Penitentiary; [VICTOR CIESIELSKI] and [CARL DELBONO] were convicted of conspiracy and sentenced to serve two years in Federal Penitentiary; [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] were acquitted on a directed verdict; the indictment against [BURMAN] and [ZOOK] was dismissed since they testified for the government. The indictment against PHIL PRIOLA, who was a fugitive at the time of the trial of the other defendants, was also dismissed inasmuch as DE FILLIPI subsequently was killed in an automobile accident and the evidence against PRIOLA was insufficient to go to trial. TONY BONACINA was killed during a hold-up of a bank, shortly thereafter.

Investigation conducted by the Bureau in 1937, reflected that the [ZITO] group and the group involved in the DE FILLIPI kidnapping were all connected and headed by [REDACTED]. It would appear that following an alcohol tax indictment in June, 1935, in which [ZITO,] along with [PHILLIP VELLA, TONY DIGIOVANNI, JOE BALSAMO (AKA DOMINIC PADRO) and FRANK LICARI] were co-defendants, there was a split in the gang, part going with GEORGE SALADINO and the ZITO brothers and the balance remaining loyal to [VOTA?].

Inspector [REDACTED] considered all of the above group as possible subjects in the kidnapping of [REDACTED] in St. Louis, Missouri.
The attached article is from the December 17, 1931 Rockford Register Republic. I'm pretty sure the Vonacina is Tony Bonacina, mentioned above from the kidnap gang. Bonacina was killed during a bank robbery sometime in the late 30s and I always thought he was a Chicago guy but this article says he was out of KC with this DeCarlo fella. Anyone know who this DeCarlo was?
Found more info on this topic in an FBI file from November 1937 which is interesting to say the least:

Information from the Alcoholic Tax Unit at Chicago, Illinois, revealed that within the past two or three years there has been a split-up among the Zito mob and that the Aiello brothers (of Springfield presumably) and one George Saladino of Rockford, Illinois, are now the heads of the latter mob. Which members of the Zito mob are subsequently switched over to the Aiello-Saladino mob is not known as yet. The Aiello mob during the past three years as operated south of Gary, Indiana, extending their operations to LaSalle, Streator, Peoria and Springfield, Illinois. The mob of Joe Zito, who according to latest information received, is at present conducting a dairy in Rockford, Illinois, as a “blind”, presumably operating out of Rockford, Illinois.

Recently the Alcoholic Tax Unit indicted George Saladino and sixteen other persons (Phil Cannella, Angelo Baraconi and Joe Capriola of Rockford; John Sardo, Joe DiGirolamo, Mike Anzaldo and Geno Andonna of South Beloit; Frank Brown and George Stasin of Beloit; Sam DiGaetano of Chicago, Tony Laudicina of St. Louis and Albert Kanzenback of Waupun, Wisconsin) for violation of the Internal Revenue laws. Information has been obtained that Saladino and the Aiello brothers were low in funds two or three months ago and that they were endeavoring to obtain money to hire a good attorney to defend them and also to pay off some of the witnesses to keep them from testifying against them in court. It is my understanding that this mob was recently successful in buying off some of these witnesses. It, however, is possible that these witnesses were intimidated rather than bribed. Saladino and the others mentioned in the indictment heretofore referred to were arraigned at Chicago, Illinois, on October 11, 1937, at which time all of them pleaded not guilty and trial was set for December 6, 1937, at Chicago, Illinois.

In view of the above circumstances and the fact that the Saladino mob is operating out of Rockford, Illinois, at which point the payoff in this case was made on the night of October 8, 1937, and further in view of the fact that Tony DiGiovanni, a former ally of this gang, has formerly operated at DeKalb and Sycamore, Illinois, it is entirely possible that this mob is responsible for the (Charles S.) Ross abduction.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Very interesting find.

The 1937 trial stemmed from the 1936 busts of stills operated out of two farms in Woodstock, IL, and was described by authorities at the time as the largest bootlegging ring operating in the Midwest. Clearly guys from Rockford, Springfield, Chicago, and STL were involved in it. Interesting also that they were operating out of McHenry County, in what was later, at least, Chicago “territory” (at least since the ‘50s this was a Daddono Crew area). The snippet below comes from the Tribune coverage of the conviction of the conspirators in 1938, when they were sentenced to Federal prison:

Sam DiGaetano was Santo DiGaetano, born about 1890 in Tèrmini Imerese. He arrived in the US in 1913, initially bound for STL. He relocated to Chicago soon after, where he married Margherita Galluzzo of Vicari in 1917. The family lived in the Taylor St Patch and Santo worked for decades for the Chicago Macaroni Co. He died in Chicago in 1959. It’s clear that he maintained ties to STL, as his son, Benedetto DiGaetano, moved to STL later as an adult and died there in 1989. Santo’s sister, Antonia DiGaetano also lived in STL with her husband, Antonio Venturella of Castelbuono.

Apart from his involvement in this large liquor ring, DiGaetano was evidently a connected guy, as he was arrested in 1931 at the Hotel Western on Cermak Rd in Cicero, a noted “Capone gang” hangout. He was in the company of Enrico “Henry” Sammarco, a fellow Chicagoan from San Fili, Cosenza. Now, note again that several of the co-conspirators in the 1936 case were based in South Beloit. In 1932, Francesco “Frank/Fred” Sammarco, was arrested as part of a stick up crew that was wanted for a string of brazen “machine gun holdups” in IL and Southern Wisconsin. Sammarco operated a roadhouse in South Beloit and was from San Fili, and thus very likely a relative of Henry Sammarco.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:24 pm Very interesting find.

The 1937 trial stemmed from the 1936 busts of stills operated out of two farms in Woodstock, IL, and was described by authorities at the time as the largest bootlegging ring operating in the Midwest. Clearly guys from Rockford, Springfield, Chicago, and STL were involved in it. Interesting also that they were operating out of McHenry County, in what was later, at least, Chicago “territory” (at least since the ‘50s this was a Daddono Crew area). The snippet below comes from the Tribune coverage of the conviction of the conspirators in 1938, when they were sentenced to Federal prison:

Sam DiGaetano was Santo DiGaetano, born about 1890 in Tèrmini Imerese. He arrived in the US in 1913, initially bound for STL. He relocated to Chicago soon after, where he married Margherita Galluzzo of Vicari in 1917. The family lived in the Taylor St Patch and Santo worked for decades for the Chicago Macaroni Co. He died in Chicago in 1959. It’s clear that he maintained ties to STL, as his son, Benedetto DiGaetano, moved to STL later as an adult and died there in 1989. Santo’s sister, Antonia DiGaetano also lived in STL with her husband, Antonio Venturella of Castelbuono.

Apart from his involvement in this large liquor ring, DiGaetano was evidently a connected guy, as he was arrested in 1931 at the Hotel Western on Cermak Rd in Cicero, a noted “Capone gang” hangout. He was in the company of Enrico “Henry” Sammarco, a fellow Chicagoan from San Fili, Cosenza. Now, note again that several of the co-conspirators in the 1936 case were based in South Beloit. In 1932, Francesco “Frank/Fred” Sammarco, was arrested as part of a stick up crew that was wanted for a string of brazen “machine gun holdups” in IL and Southern Wisconsin. Sammarco operated a roadhouse in South Beloit and was from San Fili, and thus very likely a relative of Henry Sammarco.
Good info.. I should add that in a later FBI file it stated that Phil Damiano was also involved. We know that he was an early Rockford LCN member who transferred out to San Diego, working under Joe Adamo. Also, I suspect that the Genno Andonna could very well have been Reno Sandona of Rockford, but there's no proof.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:13 pm
cavita wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 am
cavita wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:25 pm
cavita wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm
B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:01 pm Frank Zito lived in Benld as a miner too and I think Frank Abbate from Cinisi was living there at the time he was killed. It shows up a lot -- there was a small but strong Sicilian colony there at one point and mafiosi lived/passed through. Johnson City is another one like that but way further south. Peoria had stuff going on too.

This is relevant:

- Obviously Gary and Rockford were their own groups, but the perception was the Springfield Family may have had people in other areas, including Peoria. Tony and I talked about Peoria since a 1960s Chicago informant said they had a mafia presence.
The following passage is an entry from Joe Zito’s FBI file from December 12, 1969 which reads: “During the 1930’s, JOE and FRANK ZITO bossed a gang of individuals who operated out of Gary, Indiana and Springfield, Rockford and Peoria, Illinois. The group was made up primarily of Chicago and Rockford hoodlums and they engaged in extortion and kidnaping.” It was this group that was most likely involved in the Spring Valley, Illinois kidnapping and extortion of Fred DeFilippi.
Attached is an excerpt from Phil Priola's FBI file regarding the kidnap ring and the Zito brothers. Some other interesting names in there which include Joe Balsamo aka Dominic Padro and Francesco Coppola. I have included what I have interpreted the redacted portions to be through research in newspapers and other FBI files. If anyone has any corrections, please let me know.

On March 28, 1933, [FRANCESCO COPPOLA (aka ANGELO VOTA), MIKE TALARICO, JOE VARSALONA, VICTOR CIESIELSKI, WESLEY E. PRITCHETT, JOHN SICILIANO, FRANK SMITH, DAN ZOOK, JULE VEYS, JOE MARANDO, EDWARD MOORE,] TONY BONACINA, PHIL PALMERO (aka PHIL PRIOLA), [VINCE BURMAN, CARL DELBONO and FRANK DELBONO (aka JOHN CASTAGNA)] were indicted at Peoria, Illinois.

[TALARICO, FRANK DELBONO] and [JOE VARSALONA] were convicted and sentenced to 42 years in Federal Penitentiary; [VICTOR CIESIELSKI] and [CARL DELBONO] were convicted of conspiracy and sentenced to serve two years in Federal Penitentiary; [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] were acquitted on a directed verdict; the indictment against [BURMAN] and [ZOOK] was dismissed since they testified for the government. The indictment against PHIL PRIOLA, who was a fugitive at the time of the trial of the other defendants, was also dismissed inasmuch as DE FILLIPI subsequently was killed in an automobile accident and the evidence against PRIOLA was insufficient to go to trial. TONY BONACINA was killed during a hold-up of a bank, shortly thereafter.

Investigation conducted by the Bureau in 1937, reflected that the [ZITO] group and the group involved in the DE FILLIPI kidnapping were all connected and headed by [REDACTED]. It would appear that following an alcohol tax indictment in June, 1935, in which [ZITO,] along with [PHILLIP VELLA, TONY DIGIOVANNI, JOE BALSAMO (AKA DOMINIC PADRO) and FRANK LICARI] were co-defendants, there was a split in the gang, part going with GEORGE SALADINO and the ZITO brothers and the balance remaining loyal to [VOTA?].

Inspector [REDACTED] considered all of the above group as possible subjects in the kidnapping of [REDACTED] in St. Louis, Missouri.
The attached article is from the December 17, 1931 Rockford Register Republic. I'm pretty sure the Vonacina is Tony Bonacina, mentioned above from the kidnap gang. Bonacina was killed during a bank robbery sometime in the late 30s and I always thought he was a Chicago guy but this article says he was out of KC with this DeCarlo fella. Anyone know who this DeCarlo was?
Found more info on this topic in an FBI file from November 1937 which is interesting to say the least:

Information from the Alcoholic Tax Unit at Chicago, Illinois, revealed that within the past two or three years there has been a split-up among the Zito mob and that the Aiello brothers (of Springfield presumably) and one George Saladino of Rockford, Illinois, are now the heads of the latter mob. Which members of the Zito mob are subsequently switched over to the Aiello-Saladino mob is not known as yet. The Aiello mob during the past three years as operated south of Gary, Indiana, extending their operations to LaSalle, Streator, Peoria and Springfield, Illinois. The mob of Joe Zito, who according to latest information received, is at present conducting a dairy in Rockford, Illinois, as a “blind”, presumably operating out of Rockford, Illinois.

Recently the Alcoholic Tax Unit indicted George Saladino and sixteen other persons (Phil Cannella, Angelo Baraconi and Joe Capriola of Rockford; John Sardo, Joe DiGirolamo, Mike Anzaldo and Geno Andonna of South Beloit; Frank Brown and George Stasin of Beloit; Sam DiGaetano of Chicago, Tony Laudicina of St. Louis and Albert Kanzenback of Waupun, Wisconsin) for violation of the Internal Revenue laws. Information has been obtained that Saladino and the Aiello brothers were low in funds two or three months ago and that they were endeavoring to obtain money to hire a good attorney to defend them and also to pay off some of the witnesses to keep them from testifying against them in court. It is my understanding that this mob was recently successful in buying off some of these witnesses. It, however, is possible that these witnesses were intimidated rather than bribed. Saladino and the others mentioned in the indictment heretofore referred to were arraigned at Chicago, Illinois, on October 11, 1937, at which time all of them pleaded not guilty and trial was set for December 6, 1937, at Chicago, Illinois.

In view of the above circumstances and the fact that the Saladino mob is operating out of Rockford, Illinois, at which point the payoff in this case was made on the night of October 8, 1937, and further in view of the fact that Tony DiGiovanni, a former ally of this gang, has formerly operated at DeKalb and Sycamore, Illinois, it is entirely possible that this mob is responsible for the (Charles S.) Ross abduction.
I think now we can see how erroneous some of this info is- the fact that the Aiello brothers didn't "throw in" with Saladino's group when the split occurred. I think authorities did the best investigations they could with what info they had at the time but it seems clear that Joe Zito worked with his brothers in Springfield until about 1931 and then he moved to Rockford and joined that group. The two cities, it seemed, partnered early on but perhaps not so much in later years. My feelings are strengthened that Saladino at this juncture was a capo for the Rockford family.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:15 am
B. wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:10 pm Now that I think of it, I may have only verified that Patsy Aiello's mother Ninfa D'Angelo was from Castelvetrano. If that's correct and his father was from Terrasini that's a new combo. It would play into the Terrasini / Sambuca connection if that's true of Ciaccio.

Name Ninfa D'Angelo
Sex Female
Age 44
Death Date 07 Sep 1917
Birthplace Castelvetrano
Father's Name Giuseppe
Spouse's Sex Male
Event Type Death
Certificate Number 363
Pasquale Aiello was born in Castelvetrano, but I’m not sure about his father. Interesting that his name was Gaspare, as a Gaspare Aiello who was Terrasinese and murdered in Springfield in 1927 is what I was talking about. There were at least two other Terrasinese Gaspare Aiellos in Springfield, so it would have been quite coincidence if Patsy’s dad was a completely unrelated Gaspare Aiello. Was able to confirm Ninfa D’Angelo’s death in 1917 in Castelvetrano and her husband was listed as Gaspare Aiello, but no record that I found for him in Castelvetrano.
A little more info on Aiello from an FBI file I have
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:32 pm Charles Supino aka Charles Fenello aka Charles Farrell was involved with the Springfield LCN and the earliest arrest I can find on him was September 23, 1933 when he was charged in the attempted kidnapping of Newton Millman in Peoria, Illinois. Also involved were Patsy Aiello, Vito Impastato, Frank Longo, Tony Campo and Vincenzo Troia who was using the alias Joe Caiola. Charges against him were dismissed but on November 17, 1935 he was held over to the Grand Jury on liquor violation charges and was remanded to the Montgomery County Jail in Hillsboro. Once again on February 20, 1936 he was arrested for liquor running in Streator, Illinois.

In about May 1937 Supino moved about 120 miles north of Springfield and settled in Streator, Illinois which was a hotbed of illegal activity, chiefly gambling. For whatever reason on the morning of November 14, 1937 Supino received a long distance call and minutes after hanging up, he told his 23 year old wife he had to leave town on “important business.” Around 9:40pm that evening Mrs. Supino heard six gunshots outside her residence at 809 North Wasson Street. She ran to the window and saw her husband slumped on the ground having been shot six times with a .32 caliber pistol. She then saw the killer run to the curb and jump into a “shiny new automobile” and speed away. Authorities said the killer apparently hid in the bushes near the driveway and waited until Supino exited his car and headed towards the back door of his home.

Later FBI files stated that Tony Zito of the Springfield LCN was responsible for the murder however, Milwaukee informant Augie Maniaci stated that Phil Cannella who was later made a member of the Rockford LCN and Carlo Rospo, of the Cleveland LCN murdered Supino. Rospo was familiar with the Rockford LCN as he had hid out in Rockford after committing a murder in Cleveland.

Other than being involved in the Springfield LCN and being born about 1912 I couldn’t find anything further on Supino- no family connections, birthplace, etc.
More info found on Supino in some FBI files:

November 22, 1937

Information was secured from Chief Reynolds that Charles Supino was formerly associated with Frank Longo, Tony Campo, Elio Costanza, alias Vince Salvatore, alias “Big Vince”, Vito Impastato, alias Joe Orlando, and Patsy Aiello. All of the above individuals with the exception of Elio Costanza were arrested September 22, 1933, by the police at Peoria, Illinois, for attempted kidnaping. Neither the details of this charge nor the disposition of same are known.

Investigation at Streator, Illinois, on November 21, 1937, disclosed that Charles Supino has been working in the pool hall of one Philip Oliver at Streator, Illinois, since kidnaping of Charles S. Ross. His salary was $10.00 per week and his hours were from noon to midnight. It was learned that while Supino was working in Oliver’s pool hall he made several mysterious trips away from Streator, Illinois, never staying away from home for more than one night. On some occasions Supino drove his old model Graham-Paige Sedan on these trips, and on other times he rode on the bus. Indications are that Supino made these mysterious trips to Peoria, ostensibly to visit with his brother, Frank Supino, who lived in the Court Hotel, Peoria, up until the morning of November 13, 1937, at which time Charles Supino was murdered. Nothing is known of the activity and associates of Frank Supino, and information has been obtained that he was now living with an aunt in St. Louis, Missouri. From the best information available at Streator, Illinois, it was learned that none of Supino’s former associates have been in or around Streator, Illinois, within the past year, and their present whereabouts are unknown.

[Goes on to talk about criminal arrests of Supino, Longo, etc. and the bullets that killed Supino]

Regarding CHARLES SUPINO, Sheriff’s office, Ottawa, Illinois, FBI-767966, this individual was investigated in connection with the CHARLES ROSS kidnaping by Agents John L. Madala, and Clyde E. Smith of the Chicago office. It was determined by their investigation that SUPINO was murdered November 13, 1937, by unknown persons. The Agents conducted an extensive investigation, and their investigation did not show that SUPINO at any time during the last few years had left the State of Illinois. CHARLES SUPINO is described as follows: CHARLES SUPINO, age 25 (1937), 5’6 ½ “, 155lbs, medium build, dark hair, brown eyes, dark complexion.

5/17/67
Investigation at Streator, Illinois, reflects one CHARLES SUPINO was killed in gangland manner in 1938 in Streator through a disagreement with the DIAMOND JOE GANG from Rockford.

On April 4, 1967, former Chief of Police JOHN C. GAYDOS advised that he was on the Streator Police Department from 1932 to 1963 and was chief of the department from 1947 to 1963. GAYDOS advised that the only unsolved gangland killing that he could recall occurred sometime in 1933 or 1934. He advised that one CARL SUPINI was riddled with gunshots in the 800 block of North Wasson Street, Streator, Illinois. The crime was never solved. GAYDOS said that at the time of the killing he had been in receipt of hearsay information that CARL SUPINI was involved in bootlegging whiskey. Allegedly, the Diamond Joe Gang from Rockford wanted SUPINI to buy his liquor from them but he refused, and was subsequently killed gangland style.