Gambino family captain Domenico Acquista

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JohnnyS
Full Patched

Gambino family captain Domenico Acquista

Post by JohnnyS »

Just a little write up I've put together from my notes. Figured it was worth sharing since not much is known about this guy.

Domenico Acquista came to the United States from Castrofilippo, Sicily in about 1963 when he was around 13 years old. He arrived with his parents and younger brother Angelo. Angelo went on to be a successful doctor and author that has rubbed elbows with many politicians and celebrities throughout the years. He was a powerful doctor at Lenox Hill Hospital and a founding member of Madison Medical.. Around two years ago, Angelo purchased an apartment in Manhattan for $19.5 million.

In the 1980s, Domenico was affiliated with Ralph Mosca's crew. The Gambinos were having trouble with Sicilians operating gambling joints in Gambino territory without permission and John Gotti tasked Mosca with running them off. Now it's unclear whether Acquista was originally affiliated with Mosca or if he was given to Mosca due to his knowledge of Astoria and his affiliation with "zips". It's said that in one of the unions the Gambinos controlled, there were Sicilians that were often used by the Gambinos as muscle.

In 1998, some doctors of Lenox Hill Hospital were subject of three federal probes. Agents from the FBI, the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Health and Human Services were investigating allegations of fraudulent billing and improper referrals. 44 year old Dr. Angelo Acquista was the focus of the investigations. Acquista was said to be instrumental in building complexes and doctor practices across Queens, Long Island and Brooklyn. Four doctors spoke up and said that their safety had been threatened by Acquista. One doctor alleged that after he criticized Angelo, he was assaulted and after the attack Acquista asked him "Do you know who my family is? Do you know who my family is? If this happens once more, one more word out of you, you will be very sorry, very sorry." Another physician alleged that he once had a dispute with someone and Angelo told him “If he gives you a hard time, I'll get my brother to break his legs." A 79 year old director at the hospital named Hugh Barber received a phone call in 1996 informing him that a plot at a Queens cemetery had been purchased in his name. The threat was taken seriously and not long after, Barber was visited by mob investigator Kenneth McCabe.

As of 1998 and 1999, Domenico Acquista was considered by the FBI to be an associate of the Gambino family. While he shared no business ventures with his brother, at least one of Angelo's business associates has faced mob allegations. Madison Medical used Vardo Construction Company which was owned by Lorenzo DeVardo who was charged in the Pizza Connection case for construction work of the Madison Medical offices. Angelo was also said to be involved in at least four real estate transactions with Lorenzo DeVardo and his wife.

In 2005, Giancarlo Buggea, a prominent mafia figure of Agrigento had to make a trip to the United States and he visited with Domenico Acquista. In April of 2019, Acquista who was by then a captain and an emissary travelled to Favara alongside two Russians with a business proposal for his emissaries of the mafia clan in Castrofilippo. Acquista was in search of a large company he could use to launder millions of dollars through. "The money comes from Singapore. They leave us 20 percent" said Giancarlo Buggea.

The first time Acquista's name really came up in the press was in February of 2020 when Jerry Capeci mentioned him in Gangland News. Capeci described Acquista as a 70 year old captain of Whitestone, Queens. Two members of his crew were Riccardo Cefalu who passed away and Pasquale Conte. Both were essentially retired with Riccardo being considered an inactive member as far back as 2012 but were said to be members still in good standing.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: Gambino family captain Domenico Acquista

Post by johnny_scootch »

Well done Johnny.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

Nice Johnny . Great write up
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Props Johnny

Any pics?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Awesome job, Johnny. You're a great contributor who shares facts in every post.

The Castrofilippo Family was recorded discussing him, which is very interesting. I'd guess his family is connected to the mafia in Agrigento, showing that like the Gambino Palermitani the Agrigento connection isn't quite done even if this is a new branch of it.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Great write up, very cool stuff. I hadn’t been aware of Angelo Acquista. Looks like he’s currently a practicing pulmonologist at Northwell; MD from NYU. Currently seems to be serving as the medical director for the Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management.

I’d link to his books on the health benefits of the “Mediterranean Diet” (pulmonologists are often consulted for dietary advice, after all), but looks like Amazon has a warning that once you click on it you have to buy his books “or else” (back cover has a blurb: “Do you know who my family is?!?”).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Appreciate the kind words guys!

It's pretty amazing that he's managed to fly under the radar for this long. As far as I know he has zero arrests.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JohnnyS wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:40 pm Appreciate the kind words guys!

It's pretty amazing that he's managed to fly under the radar for this long. As far as I know he has zero arrests.
At this point I'm willing to believe Agrigento guys have some weird mutation in their DNA.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

It's clear the Zips are firmly in charge.
Grillo and Acquista both strong homeland connections and skippers.
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:44 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:40 pm Appreciate the kind words guys!

At this point I'm willing to believe Agrigento guys have some weird mutation in their DNA.
They really don't speak much, very secretive people.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:42 pm It's clear the Zips are firmly in charge.
Does this Grillo have anything to do with the Grillo in murder machine?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:42 pm It's clear the Zips are firmly in charge.
Firmly in charge? I mean they might be in some leadership positions, but firmly in charge, idk about that
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

CornerBoy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:51 am Does this Grillo have anything to do with the Grillo in murder machine?
No idea.
Tonyd621 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:03 am Firmly in charge? I mean they might be in some leadership positions, but firmly in charge, idk about that
Not only do/did you have Cefalu/Cali and Mannino in the admin but John Gambino in the mix. Additionally Cefalu's namesake cousin, Acquista and Grillo all Caporegimes. What else do you need.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Mannino, Grillo and Cali aren’t/weren’t zips. This isn’t to say the zips aren’t in charge but just because Ernie Grillo went to Sicily to meet people it doesn’t make him a zip.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:03 am Mannino, Grillo and Cali aren’t/weren’t zips. This isn’t to say the zips aren’t in charge but just because Ernie Grillo went to Sicily to meet people it doesn’t make him a zip.
How would you define a zip? You have to be born there?