Visiting Pittsburgh 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting Pittsburgh 1963

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:51 pm
Where are the Imburgias from again? Not Roccella Ionica in Calabria, I can't remember the town.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm
Where are the Imburgias from again? Not Roccella Ionica in Calabria, I can't remember the town.
Campofelice di Roccella, Palermo province.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:12 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm
Campofelice di Roccella, Palermo province.
Thanks. Went to add it and turns out I had the right place.
Millspgh
Prospect

Post by Millspgh »

You have Frank Valenti switching to the Buffalo Family, but it was Rochester Family where he became Boss and represented at Appalachian.

Side note - he was arrested in his early 20s twice with Charles "Charlie Murgie" Imburgia, they were close since they were in their late teens.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

I said that when Charlie would get in a "heated" discussion with either or both Jo Jo and Michael he would remind them that he was the only Sicilian!
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Valenti transferred to Buffalo and became captain in 1964. Then Rochester tried to break off later but was never a recognized Family.
FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:57 pm I said that when Charlie would get in a "heated" discussion with either or both Jo Jo and Michael he would remind them that he was the only Sicilian!
Haha, good to know. Fits the Philly wiretap of them saying LaRocca always brought up who was Sicilian, Calabrian, Neapolitan, etc. Magaddino also said one of the captains told him "I'm a Calabrian capodecina with the Sicilians".
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

1 Basilicata
13 Calabria
11 Campanians
3 Lazio
12 Sicilians
1 Umbrian
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

B. wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:14 pm Valenti transferred to Buffalo and became captain in 1964. Then Rochester tried to break off later but was never a recognized Family.
FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:57 pm I said that when Charlie would get in a "heated" discussion with either or both Jo Jo and Michael he would remind them that he was the only Sicilian!
Haha, good to know. Fits the Philly wiretap of them saying LaRocca always brought up who was Sicilian, Calabrian, Neapolitan, etc. Magaddino also said one of the captains told him "I'm a Calabrian capodecina with the Sicilians".
I believe that both Michael and Jo Jo were Calabrian.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Tony Lima ID'd Michael Andolina (b. 1905) as a long-time member based in Johnstown who died in 1968. Given Lima also said there was a Johnstown Family pre-1952 he'd be a candidate for that group before Pittsburgh. Born in Villarosa, John LaRocca's hometown.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:06 pm Tony Lima ID'd Michael Andolina (b. 1905) as a long-time member based in Johnstown who died in 1968. Given Lima also said there was a Johnstown Family pre-1952 he'd be a candidate for that group before Pittsburgh. Born in Villarosa, John LaRocca's hometown.
Good find.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:32 am
B. wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:14 pm Valenti transferred to Buffalo and became captain in 1964. Then Rochester tried to break off later but was never a recognized Family.
I believe that both Michael and Jo Jo were Calabrian.
Michael’s parents from Roccarainola, near Napoli. Same with Jo Jo, his family from outside Napoli. Neapolitans. Michael’s family, Frank Amato and Vito Genovese all from Roccarainola.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Pittsburgh Calabrians of prominence

Mannarino brothers (surname Ruggiero)
Joe Regino- Johnstown
Antonio Ripepi- Washington County
Vincenzo Tripodi- Steubenville
Cosmo Quattrone- Steubenville
John Bazzano Sr/Jr
Dominic Mallamo, Paul & Mike Romeo, Jimmy Prato, Lenny Strollo- Youngstown, OH
Pat Feruccio- Canton, OH

Not sure of George Adragna
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Makes sense…My family were Calabrese…and the old timers were always quick to point out who was Sicilian, Calabrian, Neapolitan or Abruzese. My mom’s sister married a guy from Abruzzo and my grandfather was beside himself. That’s pretty common among that generation.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Speaking of which, this is what the member informant in Altoona said:
sicilianpittsburgh.png
He was meeting directly with Genovese and LaRocca about Altoona activity. Was Jack Verilla Sicilian? I didn't think so but have no idea. From the sound of that excerpt above the informant should be a Sicilian -- if not, he obviously favors the Sicilian side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:22 pm Not sure of George Adragna
He was Sicilian, family from Alcamo. He was another member that transferred to San Jose eventually.
georgeadragna.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.