Visiting Pittsburgh 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Re: Visiting Pittsburgh 1963

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:15 pm
FriendofHenry wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:32 am
B. wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:14 pm Valenti transferred to Buffalo and became captain in 1964. Then Rochester tried to break off later but was never a recognized Family.
FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:57 pm I said that when Charlie would get in a "heated" discussion with either or both Jo Jo and Michael he would remind them that he was the only Sicilian!
Haha, good to know. Fits the Philly wiretap of them saying LaRocca always brought up who was Sicilian, Calabrian, Neapolitan, etc. Magaddino also said one of the captains told him "I'm a Calabrian capodecina with the Sicilians".
I believe that both Michael and Jo Jo were Calabrian.
Michael’s parents from Roccarainola, near Napoli. Same with Jo Jo, his family from outside Napoli. Neapolitans. Michael’s family, Frank Amato and Vito Genovese all from Roccarainola.
Thanx for clearing that up for me.
However Neapolitans, like my parents, or Calabrian, Charlie never shied away to bring up that he was the only Sicilian in the house.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

B. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:06 pm Tony Lima ID'd Michael Andolina (b. 1905) as a long-time member based in Johnstown who died in 1968. Given Lima also said there was a Johnstown Family pre-1952 he'd be a candidate for that group before Pittsburgh. Born in Villarosa, John LaRocca's hometown.
Michael Andolina

"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Regarding Johnstown, I keep coming across the names John & Vincent Siciliano...Both were arrested with Joe Regino on Narcotics charges in 1933 and John Siciliano and his father, John Sr. were arrested with Tony Lima on murder charges in 1928.

@B- Have you come across these names before?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JCB -- nope, but it looks like their paternal heritage is from Villarosa too like Andolina and LaRocca. So Johnstown's Sicilian origins look to have included multiple mafiosi from Villarosa along wth Trabia.

Tony Lima made reference in 1969 to his cousin who relayed some kind of info about someone who "takes care" of Pittsburgh members:
limacousin.png
Lima's cousin John Bondi was probably an early member, as he said Anazalone was sent by the Sicilian mafia to kill Bondi until Lima's father mediated the issue. He never said outright Bondi was or wasn't a member though it's likely he was. I don't know if he was dead by 1969 but Lima's whole family was involved in Cosa Nostra so it could be a reference to someone else too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:29 pm JCB -- nope, but it looks like their paternal heritage is from Villarosa too like Andolina and LaRocca. So Johnstown's Sicilian origins look to have included multiple mafiosi from Villarosa along wth Trabia.

Tony Lima made reference in 1969 to his cousin who relayed some kind of info about someone who "takes care" of Pittsburgh members:

limacousin.png

Lima's cousin John Bondi was probably an early member, as he said Anazalone was sent by the Sicilian mafia to kill Bondi until Lima's father mediated the issue. He never said outright Bondi was or wasn't a member though it's likely he was. I don't know if he was dead by 1969 but Lima's whole family was involved in Cosa Nostra so it could be a reference to someone else too.
Name: Giovanni Bondi aka John M. Bondy
Birth Date: 17 Jul 1885
Birth Place: Trabia, Città Metropolitana di Palermo, Sicilia, Italy
Death Date: Feb 1969
Death Place: Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Cemetery: Saint John Gualbert Roman Catholic Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Geistown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Has Bio?: N
Father:
Tommaso Bondi
Mother:
Catherine Bondi
Spouse:
Mary R. Bondy
Children:
Infant Daughter Bondy
URL:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/907 ... n-m.-bondy

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Some events in Pittsburgh in 1963: Bobby Kennedy certainly put very high value targets on the Mannarino brothers nationwide during his crackdown.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for the John Bondi stuff. So he died the same month Lima reported making contact with his cousin but Lima reported it at the very end of the month so it's not clear if Bondo was still alive and he made contact before he died or if it was another cousin.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Per this informant (bottom of the page), Jack Verilla was a member sponsored by Dave Iacovetti (who I've never heard of). This document is from 1968. Good info on Johnstown/Altoona

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

John "Jack" Verilla's father, Antonio Verilla, born in 1897 in Altoona, son of John and Lucy (Izzo) Verilla. Arrested multiple times, bootlegging. I found a ship manifest of Antonio Verilla in San Pietro Invine located in Campania near Caserta. It appears he was a Neapolitan.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JCB1977 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:35 am Per this informant (bottom of the page), Jack Verilla was a member sponsored by Dave Iacovetti (who I've never heard of). This document is from 1968. Good info on Johnstown/Altoona
Very interesting! Iacovetti was a Gambino member who split time between Altoona, Baltimore, Connecticut, and New Jersey, possibly NYC too. Verilla was a relative of him.

Maybe Iacovetti was a transfer between Gambinos / Pittsburgh or he was otherwise allowed to sponsor a Pittsburgh member he was close to. John Misuraca of the Colombos was allowed to sponsor his relatives into the San Jose Family.

Great work.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:22 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:35 am Per this informant (bottom of the page), Jack Verilla was a member sponsored by Dave Iacovetti (who I've never heard of). This document is from 1968. Good info on Johnstown/Altoona
Very interesting! Iacovetti was a Gambino member who split time between Altoona, Baltimore, Connecticut, and New Jersey, possibly NYC too. Verilla was a relative of him.

Maybe Iacovetti was a transfer between Gambinos / Pittsburgh or he was otherwise allowed to sponsor a Pittsburgh member he was close to. John Misuraca of the Colombos was allowed to sponsor his relatives into the San Jose Family.

Great work.
Hey B was this the same iacovetti who was in Miami ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Stroccos wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:00 pm

Great work.
Hey B was this the same iacovetti who was in Miami ?
Most likely. This guy was everywhere.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Correct. Gravano listed Iacovetti as a Gambino member in their Florida Crew.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/sammy ... gs?page=57
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Great work.
In regards to Pittsburgh, through my research, the connection to the Gambino Family I had previously found is through Joseph "Demus" Covello. Covello was part of the New Jersey Gambino crew and Paul Hankish in Wheeling, WV (Boss of Wheeling) and Joey Naples in Youngstown used Covello to lay off gambling money. Covello was Godfather to one of Paul Hankish's daughters. Hankish also used another guy in Rhode Island for lay off money.

Steve Maruca of the Bonanno family was also tight with the Youngstown crew, had some business dealings with Naples and Biondillo.

This is the first time I ever heard of Iacovetti, didn't know he was part of NY.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP