Visiting San Jose, 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Visiting San Jose, 1963

Post by B. »

Vincenzo LoCicero was from Calamonaci near Ribera and his crew was from Agrigento.

I think you clarified in the Lupo episode it was an unrelated LoCicero who came from Sferracavallo.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:35 pm Vincenzo LoCicero was from Calamonaci near Ribera and his crew was from Agrigento.

I think you clarified in the Lupo episode it was an unrelated LoCicero who came from Sferracavallo.
Ugh. I mixed them up again. Thanks for the correction. It was Natale LoCicero and his relatives the Virzis and Riccobonos. Saverio Virzi's/Joe Riccobono's crew on the LES. Two sets of LoCiceros.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Too many LoCiceros, haha.

That's a great connection with Vassallo and the Sferracavallo ones.

On that note, the FBI asked Bompensiero if a "Salvatore Rigabone" was an SF member, as apparently the FBI suspected or was told by another source about him. I did a brief look and it does look like he used the Rigabone spelling but made me wonder if he was originally a Riccobono.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:59 pm Too many LoCiceros, haha.

On that note, the FBI asked Bompensiero if a "Salvatore Rigabone" was an SF member, as apparently the FBI suspected or was told by another source about him. I did a brief look and it does look like he used the Rigabone spelling but made me wonder if he was originally a Riccobono.
Is this the guy who lived in Contra Costa County?

If so, I have him born in 1914 and his father was Antonino Riccobono from Palermo City who arrived in 1910 to Brooklyn before moving to CA.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

That's the same one I found. I couldn't link him to the Gambino Riccobonos but the name Salvatore Riccobono does show up in their line.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

How valuable was Bompensiero as an informant?
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

B. wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:40 pm Alfonso Conetto - Alessandria della Rocca, Agrigento
Onofrio Sciortino - Bagheria, Palermo
Joe Cerrito - Villabate, Palermo

Not sure the exact years but all are confirmed bosses.
Interesting the ADR connection.
matteogalante38
Associate

Post by matteogalante38 »

May be worth adding but can’t confirm if he actually got made: Vito Frank Adragna, a recruit of Anzalone.

Possibly Joseph Chiri, whose brother Salvatore of NJ attended Apalachin. Joseph, a plastering contractor then owner of a cherry orchard, was an acquaintance of Frank
Lanza.

Alfonso Conetto, believed to be the first boss of SJ (before Onofrio Sciortino), died in 1963.

Also, don’t have much info on these guys, so can’t confirm much, but:

Frank Maestri (1918-2008), owner of Frank-Lin Distillers, possible soldier
Salvatore “Dopey” Vaccaro, possible soldier under Figlia?
Giuseppe Ventimiglia (1897-1968?), possibly former Detroit
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

Given the Ellis Island bastardizations, I wonder whether Adragna (an old Bologna nobility name) ever became Dragna.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

UTC wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:31 pm Given the Ellis Island bastardizations, I wonder whether Adragna (an old Bologna nobility name) ever became Dragna.
If we’re talking about the LA Dragnas, it was Dragna before they arrived in the US. Dragna appears in the Corleone records at least as far back as the 1700s, though I’d think that it’s possible that it was derived from Adragna at some point (as the Dragna surname as such hardly exists outside of Corleone).
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:20 am
UTC wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:31 pm Given the Ellis Island bastardizations, I wonder whether Adragna (an old Bologna nobility name) ever became Dragna.
If we’re talking about the LA Dragnas, it was Dragna before they arrived in the US. Dragna appears in the Corleone records at least as far back as the 1700s, though I’d think that it’s possible that it was derived from Adragna at some point (as the Dragna surname as such hardly exists outside of Corleone).
I think it's a longshot also. Both names are pretty rare in the U.S.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:11 pm

If so, I have him born in 1914 and his father was Antonino Riccobono from Palermo City who arrived in 1910 to Brooklyn before moving to CA.
Was there a guy who lived in contra county or more than one? I've only come across members typically in the Alameda, SF and Santa Clara and San Mateo counties
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

OmarSantista wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:01 am

Was there a guy who lived in contra county or more than one? I've only come across members typically in the Alameda, SF and Santa Clara and San Mateo counties
Peter Giammona lived in Contra Costa county.

This was his census information:
(https://www.ancestry.ca/discoveryui-con ... 56920:2442)

He was listed as an LA Family member by the 1960s though
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

JoelTurner wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:30 am

Peter Giammona lived in Contra Costa county.

This was his census information:
(https://www.ancestry.ca/discoveryui-con ... 56920:2442)

He was listed as an LA Family member by the 1960s though
Wow that's fascinating, i'm only a few miles from walnut creek, thank you!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Honestly, I have no idea. Bay Area definitely not my area of focus. Just looking at Sicilian immigration to the region early on (~1900), I’ve seen the Counties that you named as destinations but don’t know if I’ve seen CC County much. Always a few immigrants that wind up in random places though, of course.