Visiting San Jose, 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Visiting San Jose, 1963

Post by B. »

Multiple members had residences / property in Lodi and Modesto which is much further away so Contra Costa wouldn't be a surprise since it's closer.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Former St. Louis boss Tom Buffa was killed in Lodi in the 1940s, which was San Jose territory.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:46 pm
Cusenza, Giuseppe(Deceased)
Wife: Giovanna “Jenny” Vultaggio(San Vito lo Capo, Trapani)

Mule, Prospect
M:Caterina Vultaggio(Scopello, Trapani)
Was this a coincidence or were these two Vultaggio ladies related to each other?

I know that there were some Bonanno figures with that last name so it wasn’t totally random
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

JoelTurner wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:37 pm
Cusenza, Giuseppe(Deceased)
Wife: Giovanna “Jenny” Vultaggio(San Vito lo Capo, Trapani)

Mule, Prospect
M:Caterina Vultaggio(Scopello, Trapani)
Was this a coincidence or were these two Vultaggio ladies related to each other?

I know that there were some Bonanno figures with that last name so it wasn’t totally random
I don't think those two are related, but Prospect's mother was the sister of Santo Vultaggio, who was an associate of Maranzano according to mafiamemberships. Vito Mule and Vultaggio were arrested for a murder in 1931.

I'm glad you asked about them, because when I was looking at their documents again Caterina looks to have been born in CDG. Ancestry trees list her as being born in Scopello, but I'm not sure what source they used. That's my bad for not confirming.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, Prospect Mule's father-in-law Nick Guastella was an associate of Santo Vultaggio and Vito Mule in Wappingers Falls in the early 1930s. They all go way back.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Does anyone know who this could be?

I think it could be Peter Raimondi, an Italian in Santa Clara county who was arrested for narcotics that day.

In an article about his arrest, he and his BIL Peter Piacenti are mentioned as possible mafia members.

(https://www.newspapers.com/article/oakl ... /72492542/)

Also, was the San Jose family involved in narcotics?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

JoelTurner wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:43 pm Does anyone know who this could be?

I think it could be Peter Raimondi, an Italian in Santa Clara county who was arrested for narcotics that day.

In an article about his arrest, he and his BIL Peter Piacenti are mentioned as possible mafia members.

Great work Joel. According to this article, Raimondi was the nephew of Ciro Gallo:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/458989998/

Peter Piacenti's brother Frank was arrested with Sebastiano Nani around the same time for attempting to bribe an FBN agent:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/415526 ... 22&match=1

What file is that from?

Edit: Piacenti married San Jose member Joe Gallo's daughter Anna in 1948:

https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc ... w/11108652
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

thekiduknow wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:45 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:43 pm Does anyone know who this could be?

Great work Joel. According to this article, Raimondi was the nephew of Ciro Gallo:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/458989998/

Peter Piacenti's brother Frank was arrested with Sebastiano Nani around the same time for attempting to bribe an FBN agent:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/415526 ... 22&match=1

What file is that from?

Edit: Piacenti married San Jose member Joe Gallo's daughter Anna in 1948:

https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc ... w/11108652
Peter Piacenti was a Gambino member.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Had no idea Piacenti was married to Joe Gallo's daughter. Ciro Gallo was a Bonanno member before/after he was with San Francisco. Ciro was arrested for the 1932 murder of Pittsburgh boss John Bazzano and allegedly lured Chicago member Nick DeJohn to his murder while Joe Gallo was a suspect in the 1931 murder of previous Pittsburgh boss Siragusa. They were from Palazzo Adriano, as were the DeJohns. Wrote about them a lot here: https://mafia.substack.com/p/a-different-set-of-gallos

Sebastiano Nani was a Colombo member who transferred to San Francisco but lived in San Jose and was also involved with the DeJohn murder.

Ciro Gallo had previously been involved in drug trafficking when he lived in Brooklyn and Nani remained involved in the Bay Area.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

The FBN listed an Andrew Ingoglia as an associate. Highly likely he was the same Ingoglia I've mentioned before:
thekiduknow wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:34 am
Got some immigration files on (Benny) D'Aguanno. He was deported back it Italy in 1957 after serving time for his narcotics conviction. He was arrested in 1954 in Northern California with a James LaSala

The FBN said that he would get it from Bonanno member Vincenzo Moresellino, who got it from Cristoforo Rubino who got it from Settimo Accardi, and D'Aguanno would drive it from New York to California. There was another guy named Andrew Ingoglia from Partanna who was arrested in Oakland in 1948 that D'Aguanno apparently replaced. Ingoglia, also spelled Engoglia, lived in Bushwick and was busted in the 1920s and 30s also narcotics. One of his witnesses to his naturalization was Carmelo Bivona, who was partners with Giovanni Bonventre in gambling. Bivona also "employed" Bonventre at his real estate firm, which was really just a front for their gambling operations.
Lots of evidence of a strong, or at least consistent, heroin pipeline from NYC to Northern California from the 40s-50s.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

It’s from Tony Riela’s file but I don’t know what’s the connection to him.

I wonder if Anthony Scavuzzo played any role in this network.

He had close ties to the Accardi bros; he moved to California at some time between 1947-50 so he wasn’t super old either.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

Just read that the latest representative for the family was released in 98. Does anyone know anything about what Salvatore "sal" Marino has been up to? He's probably in his mid 70's right now
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

OmarSantista wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:35 pm Just read that the latest representative for the family was released in 98. Does anyone know anything about what Salvatore "sal" Marino has been up to? He's probably in his mid 70's right now
He could be dead for all I know, but going back to the boss lineage is it reasonable to ballpark,
Alfonso Conetto reign from1929 (or earlier) - 1940's (42?).
Onofrio Sciortino reign from 1940's (42?) - 1959.
Joseph Cerrito reign from 1959 - 1978. Emmanuel J Figlia Underboss from 1959 - 1983
Angelo Marino Sr. reign from 1978 - 1983.
Emmanuel J Figlia reign from 1983 - 2009.

I'm also curious to know what era, during which bosses tenure did the small family essentially become extinct? It's gotta be 100% gone by now right, especially if theres nothing known to date in San Francisco.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Morici, Philip
DOB: 1/13/1888
POB: Palermo, Sicila
F: Unk
M: Unk
Wife: Unk
Origin: Palermo
Address: 1317 Belwett, San Jose(1968)
Here’s some info on him:

- Born FILIPPO MORICI to Rosario Morici and Rosalia Ferrante.

- Immigrated to a brother Vincenzo in Pueblo, CO

- Married Margaret Cestari (family from Salerno, Campania) in 1919

- Registered for WW1 - living at 2216 Hunter St, LA, CA

- 1920 - at 207 Lincoln Park Ave, LA, CA

- Naturalized in 1929 - living at 4722 Topaz St, LA, CA

- 1930 - same address

- Wife died on Sep 12 1931

- 1934 - married Antoinette Gaudesi (1913-1999). Parents were Ciro Gaudesi and Paula Livoti, Sicilians

- 1940 - lived at 1344 Biggy St, LA, CA

- Registered for WW2 - living at 830 S Stoneman Ave, Alhambra, CA

- 1950 - living at 3202 S Chapel Ave, Alhambra, CA

- 1956 - traveled to Italy giving address as 827 S Stoneman Ave, Alhambra, CA

- Died Dec 29 1972 in LA, CA

—————————-

- He usually listed his birthplace as Palermo but his sister and parents were born in Partanna. I think it could be Partanna, Palermo.

- He was probably a long-time LA member. I don’t know why he was briefly in San José in the ‘60s.

- I’m not sure if I have the right guy for his immigration. The info a match but I haven’t seen any other references to a brother named Vincenzo.

(https://www.familysearch.org/tree/sourc ... J8?context)

His siblings were Anthony, Domenico, Concetta Nastasio

If it is the right one, Pueblo -> LA would be the same path that Rosario DeSimone took too.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Not sure about the Nastasio variation, but the name Nastasi is very big in Partanna, Trapani. Partanna also neighbors Salaparuta and Poggioreale which were Trapani comuni big in Southern Colorado (the Desimones were from Salaparuta while the Chiappettas were from Poggioreale). I'd guess Morici was Trapanese rather than Palermitan but I have never looked deep into him.