Visiting New Orleans

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting New Orleans

Post by Angelo Santino »

Bonura bros parents in FBN listed as Andrea Bonura and Marie Lala. Census/ancestry say otherwise-

Father Domenico Bonora
Mother Josephine Capo

These guy, like others in Nola, arrived very early before they started documenting hometowns, Domenico was born in 1871 and immigrated in 1891 when they just wrote down "Italy."
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

sdeitche wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:42 am
Chris Christie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:51 am

Nino La Scalzo
Nino was only 19 in 1963, so doubt he was made at that time.
That's a good point.

I have a list of 80 names, out of all of them only 4 can be confirmed as members in 1963. Hell, the listed Consigliere is even up for debate as to whether or not he was a member. So we have this large list of "Suspected Members" when the Nola membership was very small, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even have captains.

Given how mysterious Nola is, I'm determined to make things harder on myself by including all these Suspected guys, labeling them specially as such and also including the Joe Colombo stuff about Nola being down to 7 members by 1968, which even if the number is off, points to Nola being a very small group.

I find the LoScalzo Tampa-Nola connection to be interesting which is why I'm leaning towards including him but I'm also thinking that if I keep him off, it could go on another chart if Inter-Family Connections. It's like Tony Musso, I believe Partincanese, arrived in Detroit, married a Piro from Nola and was briefly boss of Rockford. Fascinating shit.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Anthony Cigiali was Anthony Cigali, 1891-1955. His father Christopher was born in New Orleans in 1869. His mother was born in 1864 and was from France. His paternal grandmother is allegedly from Perugia. Given his bloodlines, likely not a member but just shows how early people were in New Orleans.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Angelo and Jerome Conforto's parents were Joseph Conforto (1896-) and Giuseppina Albano. Joseph is listed as being born in Palermo. His mother Giuseppina Albano was born in NO and her parents were Girolamo Albano (1856) and Giuseppina LaBarbera (1863). One family tree has Girolamo as being born in Basilicata and the mother is listed as being from Villa Sciambra. There is a Villa Ciambra in Palermo which may be it. Both Girolamo the Basilicatese and Giuseppina both have ties to Palermo. They had two of their many children there and Girolamo (Bas) had a half brother in Monreale.

FBI reports do mention the father Joseph who died in 1966, seems to imply he was an affiliate.
conforto carraci.PNG
Can't go any further back.

Also, found it interesting that Silvestro Carolla's mother was a Bommarito. Makes sense given that they were Terrasinese.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

When was the last murder in New Orleans documented to be committed by the NOLA LCN?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Francesco Paolo Coppola married a Chimenti. There's a Joseph "Zip" Chimento on the chart who I was having difficulty finding info on. Lida Chimenti, of Partinico, had a brother names Giuseppe Chimenti. Unfortunately I can't find any records on him. There was, unsurprisingly, someone in Detroit with that name.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Several James Culottas and no info. FBI reports describe James as a friend of Marcello's so I'm assuming they were around the same age. There are two James Culottas who could be the right one. One born in Tennessee, the other in Chicago.

The FBN said his names was James L Culotta but they mangled a bunch of the names.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

cavita wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:34 am When was the last murder in New Orleans documented to be committed by the NOLA LCN?
I'd say Gaetano Siracusa in 1944 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0SuL9LlQgW

And probably Salvatore Vitale in 1957. I had a link for a blog who talked about it but unfortunately I can't find it anymore :( . If I recall correctly the two murders were connected

Chris, Chimenti is also mentionned in the pdf above, it looks he was involved in the murder of Siracusa with Marcello

EDIT : here is the link and there is other great articles on this blog https://louisianamafia.wordpress.com/20 ... ans-mafia/
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Leonard Franzone was born in Chicago to Antonino Franzone (Chiusa Sclafani) and Catarina Gagliano (Girgenti). He was still living there in 1930, he died in NO in 1986.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:25 am Leonard Franzone was born in Chicago to Antonino Franzone (Chiusa Sclafani) and Catarina Gagliano (Girgenti). He was still living there in 1930, he died in NO in 1986.
Leonard Franzone was almost certainly still affiliated with Chicago in 1963, as he was a person of interest in the 1966 murder of Chicago member Hunk Galiano (possibility that they were related, also). It seems that he only relocated to Louisiana after that hit. His mother was born in Jefferson Parish, LA, and while some Ancestry.com trees claim that her parents were from Siculiana, I was unable to confirm this. They may have been from Agrigento, but they also could've been from Chiusa Sclafani as well.

More info on Franzone viewtopic.php?p=237336#p237336 and photo here: viewtopic.php?p=237517#p237517
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:05 am Several James Culottas and no info. FBI reports describe James as a friend of Marcello's so I'm assuming they were around the same age. There are two James Culottas who could be the right one. One born in Tennessee, the other in Chicago.

The FBN said his names was James L Culotta but they mangled a bunch of the names.
There were a bunch of Culottas in Chicago from the area around Cefalu/Campofelice di Roccella/Lascari (such as the family of Frank Culotta). Cefalu also had a large settlement in NOLA, and some of the Chicago Culottas were definitely connected to NO.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Vincenzo Vittorio (Jimmy) Gallo "Jimmy" is another one who spent most of his time outside of NO. He was living in NYC still by the 1940's and he died in 1986 in Queens. The FBN had him in 1960 as living at 230 W Wm David Parkway, Metairie, LA and managing a club.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Ok this is interesting. Salvatore Gallo, born NO in 1899. His father was Giuseppe from Ustica, his mother Rose LaCava born in California to Antonino LaCava and Marianna DeSimone, both of Ustica.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

motorfab wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:42 am
cavita wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:34 am When was the last murder in New Orleans documented to be committed by the NOLA LCN?
I'd say Gaetano Siracusa in 1944 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0SuL9LlQgW

And probably Salvatore Vitale in 1957. I had a link for a blog who talked about it but unfortunately I can't find it anymore :( . If I recall correctly the two murders were connected

Chris, Chimenti is also mentionned in the pdf above, it looks he was involved in the murder of Siracusa with Marcello

EDIT : here is the link and there is other great articles on this blog https://louisianamafia.wordpress.com/20 ... ans-mafia/
I seem to vaguely remember some blood relative of Carlo Gambino had a falling out in New York and went to New Orleans where he was later killed. This was in the seventies I think. Anyone remember this story or am I losing my mind?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Where did the Marcellos come from? Both he and his father were born in Tunis. His mother is Louise Farruggia.