Visiting New Orleans

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Visiting New Orleans

Post by Antiliar »

cavita wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:21 pm
B. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm Great leads.

Should note that two successive bosses of San Cipirello in the early 1920s were Vito Todaro and Domenico Pardo. Todaro survived a murder attempt in 1921 and came to NYC the following year where his arrival contact was Morello Family leader Giovanni Pecoraro (from Piana dei Greci and San Cipirello). On the same ship with Todaro was Resuttana boss Antonino Grillo (bro-in-law of Manfredi Mineo) and Ignazio Lupo, the latter returning after petitioning the Sicilian mafia for help lifting his death sentence.

Pardo came to the US in the 1920s as well and was involved with the Rockford Family. Cavita has shared info about that.

I've wondered myself if Vito Todaro was related to Francesco Todaro of New Orleans so this adds some other possible connections to the mix.

The early Bonanno Family connection via Grippi is interesting too as they had ties to San Cipirello. Gioacchino DiMartino of San Cipirello attended Cascio Ferro's 1901 NYC welcome banquet and in addition to living in Williamsburg, DiMartino arrived to Nicolo Schiro after one overseas trip. On a later trip DiMartino was arriving to his "cousin" Giovanni Pecoraro though Pecoraro had been killed during the voyage.

Pietro Licata was of course from San Cipirello too and active with the local Family before coming to the US and joining the Bonannos. Lot of ties between the Bonannos and adjacent San Giuseppe Jato as well. The Families in those towns are and were closely involved with the mafia in Camporeale and Partinico where the early Bonanno leadership was from. San Giuseppe, San Cipirello, and Camporeale all evidently played a role in the Newark Family too. This connects back to New Orleans as Schiro's paesan Leonardo Cipolla was likely the NO boss in the late 1910s after leaving Williamsburg and was later linked to the Troia murder in Newark.
In addition to Domenico Pardo who had an early history in Rockford, there was a Frank "Tex" Todaro in Rockford involved with the early Rockford LCN in bootlegging and gambling but I have been unable to trace his ancestry as he was born in Melville, Louisiana in 1905. His parents were Vincenzo "Charles" and Anna Todaro. I've been unable to find out more about his father Vincenzo other than he was born in Italy around 1884.
There was a Vincent Charles Todaro who was born Apr 15, 1884 (grave has 1885), in Roccamena (where Cola Schiro was born) and died in Rockford on Apr 19, 1944. His wife was Antonia (or Anna; her last name is either Gagliano or Segretto) and his parents were Francesco Todaro and Santa Miceli.
cavita
Full Patched

Re: Visiting New Orleans

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:47 pm
cavita wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:21 pm
B. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm Great leads.

Should note that two successive bosses of San Cipirello in the early 1920s were Vito Todaro and Domenico Pardo. Todaro survived a murder attempt in 1921 and came to NYC the following year where his arrival contact was Morello Family leader Giovanni Pecoraro (from Piana dei Greci and San Cipirello). On the same ship with Todaro was Resuttana boss Antonino Grillo (bro-in-law of Manfredi Mineo) and Ignazio Lupo, the latter returning after petitioning the Sicilian mafia for help lifting his death sentence.

Pardo came to the US in the 1920s as well and was involved with the Rockford Family. Cavita has shared info about that.

I've wondered myself if Vito Todaro was related to Francesco Todaro of New Orleans so this adds some other possible connections to the mix.

The early Bonanno Family connection via Grippi is interesting too as they had ties to San Cipirello. Gioacchino DiMartino of San Cipirello attended Cascio Ferro's 1901 NYC welcome banquet and in addition to living in Williamsburg, DiMartino arrived to Nicolo Schiro after one overseas trip. On a later trip DiMartino was arriving to his "cousin" Giovanni Pecoraro though Pecoraro had been killed during the voyage.

Pietro Licata was of course from San Cipirello too and active with the local Family before coming to the US and joining the Bonannos. Lot of ties between the Bonannos and adjacent San Giuseppe Jato as well. The Families in those towns are and were closely involved with the mafia in Camporeale and Partinico where the early Bonanno leadership was from. San Giuseppe, San Cipirello, and Camporeale all evidently played a role in the Newark Family too. This connects back to New Orleans as Schiro's paesan Leonardo Cipolla was likely the NO boss in the late 1910s after leaving Williamsburg and was later linked to the Troia murder in Newark.
In addition to Domenico Pardo who had an early history in Rockford, there was a Frank "Tex" Todaro in Rockford involved with the early Rockford LCN in bootlegging and gambling but I have been unable to trace his ancestry as he was born in Melville, Louisiana in 1905. His parents were Vincenzo "Charles" and Anna Todaro. I've been unable to find out more about his father Vincenzo other than he was born in Italy around 1884.
There was a Vincent Charles Todaro who was born Apr 15, 1884 (grave has 1885), in Roccamena (where Cola Schiro was born) and died in Rockford on Apr 19, 1944. His wife was Antonia (or Anna; her last name is either Gagliano or Segretto) and his parents were Francesco Todaro and Santa Miceli.
That's him....thanks buddy, I couldn't find any more info but then again I don't think I have the resources you do!