Visiting New Orleans

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Visiting New Orleans

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:19 am
sdeitche wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:42 am
Chris Christie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:51 am

Nino La Scalzo
Nino was only 19 in 1963, so doubt he was made at that time.

I find the LoScalzo Tampa-Nola connection to be interesting which is why I'm leaning towards including him but I'm also thinking that if I keep him off, it could go on another chart if Inter-Family Connections. It's like Tony Musso, I believe Partincanese, arrived in Detroit, married a Piro from Nola and was briefly boss of Rockford. Fascinating shit.
He very well may have been an associate, but so little is known about him. His son and I may have mentioned this before, is a highly regarded chef in Tampa, and a very nice guy. https://www.lokocuisine.com/about/
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

stubbs wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:36 pm
motorfab wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:42 am
cavita wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:34 am When was the last murder in New Orleans documented to be committed by the NOLA LCN?
I'd say Gaetano Siracusa in 1944 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0SuL9LlQgW

And probably Salvatore Vitale in 1957. I had a link for a blog who talked about it but unfortunately I can't find it anymore :( . If I recall correctly the two murders were connected

Chris, Chimenti is also mentionned in the pdf above, it looks he was involved in the murder of Siracusa with Marcello

EDIT : here is the link and there is other great articles on this blog https://louisianamafia.wordpress.com/20 ... ans-mafia/
I seem to vaguely remember some blood relative of Carlo Gambino had a falling out in New York and went to New Orleans where he was later killed. This was in the seventies I think. Anyone remember this story or am I losing my mind?
This informant said there was an Anthony Gambino in NO who was Carlo's cousin but as ar as I know it hasn't been substantiated:

The Rizzutos mentioned were relatives of Bonanno boss Nicolo Schiro.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:09 pm Where did the Marcellos come from? Both he and his father were born in Tunis. His mother is Louise Farruggia.
Ravanusa. True name Calogero Minacore.
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:53 am Looking up Sal Alongi, correct spelling Alonge, it says he was worn in Palermo. There is a family tree which shows that his father was baptized in Sciacca, his uncle born in Ribera and his grandfather was born in Sambuca. His mother was from Caccamo.
Good find. I previously had him down as coming from Sutera, as there was a Salvatore Alongi who arrived to NO from there but the age was slightly off.

It looks like Salvatore's brother Gioacchino (father of Genovese member Dominick Alongi?) was born in Cinisi.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:40 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:09 pm Where did the Marcellos come from? Both he and his father were born in Tunis. His mother is Louise Farruggia.
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:53 am Looking up Sal Alongi, correct spelling Alonge, it says he was worn in Palermo. There is a family tree which shows that his father was baptized in Sciacca, his uncle born in Ribera and his grandfather was born in Sambuca. His mother was from Caccamo.
Good find. I previously had him down as coming from Sutera, as there was a Salvatore Alongi who arrived to NO from there but the age was slightly off.

It looks like Salvatore's brother Gioacchino (father of Genovese member Dominick Alongi?) was born in Cinisi.
Do we know where the Farruggia's are from?

Also, Ralph Emery of Chicago was the owner of the Nola Printing Company. Father Jimmy was close to both Sam Carolla and Frank Coppola-

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... te%20emery
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Just an observation.. There seems to be alot of people in Vicari who would marry people with the same surname. Looking into the Luccheses of Texas who founded the Shoe company in the 1880's it was noted in their bloodlines and looking into Vincent Misuraca, he married an Angeline Misuraca. Could be a case of inbreeding or different families with the same surname. Just something I noted.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Marcello's mother's family the Farruggias were from Sant'Angelo Muxaro, Agrigento.

Worth pointing out:

- Carlos Marcello was married to the niece of former NO leader Frank Todaro. The Todaros were from San Cipirello, Palermo, and may have been extended relatives of early San Cipirello capofamiglia Vito Todaro who survived an assassination attempt in 1921, allegedly on the orders of mafioso Giuseppe DiMaggio. Frank Todaro's mother was a DiMaggio, so he and his niece Mrs. Carlos Marcello could be connected to both of the rival mafia leaders in San Cipirello.

- Vito Todaro was allied with Vincenzo Troia of neighboring San Giuseppe Jato and they were both partners in a cattle rustling operation where Troia would accompany the cattle to Tunis (bringing to mind the Marcellos). Giuseppe DiMaggio was opposed to the Troia faction in San Giuseppe and that likely played into his conflict with Todaro.

- Vito Todaro came to the US in 1922 on the same ship as Palermo boss Antonino Grillo and Ignazio Lupo, who went to Sicily for help with his D'Aquila death sentence. Todaro's own departure may have been related to his 1921 assassination attempt and he was heading to his "cousin" Giovanni Pecoraro, the NYC leader. Not aware of Vito having any documented ties to New Orleans and haven't been able to substantiate an exact relation to Frank Todaro but we see the same surnames surface in NO and San Cipirello mafia circles.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Suspected members lists an Angelo Palmisano. There's several born in LA. But the FBI interviewed an ex of his who told them that he claimed to be from NY, has a brother named Michael and was briefly in Kansas City before coming to NO, he also told her that he was an FBI agent. I'm not seeing any of the LA Palmisanos with brothers named Michael. I did a search for Michael and one popped up but has different parents. Both were born in a 5 year window around 1910.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:50 am Marcello's mother's family the Farruggias were from Sant'Angelo Muxaro, Agrigento.

Worth pointing out:

- Carlos Marcello was married to the niece of former NO leader Frank Todaro. The Todaros were from San Cipirello, Palermo, and may have been extended relatives of early San Cipirello capofamiglia Vito Todaro who survived an assassination attempt in 1921, allegedly on the orders of mafioso Giuseppe DiMaggio. Frank Todaro's mother was a DiMaggio, so he and his niece Mrs. Carlos Marcello could be connected to both of the rival mafia leaders in San Cipirello.

- Vito Todaro was allied with Vincenzo Troia of neighboring San Giuseppe Jato and they were both partners in a cattle rustling operation where Troia would accompany the cattle to Tunis (bringing to mind the Marcellos). Giuseppe DiMaggio was opposed to the Troia faction in San Giuseppe and that likely played into his conflict with Todaro.

- Vito Todaro came to the US in 1922 on the same ship as Palermo boss Antonino Grillo and Ignazio Lupo, who went to Sicily for help with his D'Aquila death sentence. Todaro's own departure may have been related to his 1921 assassination attempt and he was heading to his "cousin" Giovanni Pecoraro, the NYC leader. Not aware of Vito having any documented ties to New Orleans and haven't been able to substantiate an exact relation to Frank Todaro but we see the same surnames surface in NO and San Cipirello mafia circles.
There are families, especially in Agrigento who seemed to travel between towns with siblings being born in different towns. It's hard to research but eventually, the info will be online. Hopefully in ten years time we look into it or others pick up where we left off. I'm convinced we will one day be able to trace mafia "families" to much easier.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:20 am Suspected members lists an Angelo Palmisano. There's several born in LA. But the FBI interviewed an ex of his who told them that he claimed to be from NY, has a brother named Michael and was briefly in Kansas City before coming to NO, he also told her that he was an FBI agent. I'm not seeing any of the LA Palmisanos with brothers named Michael. I did a search for Michael and one popped up but has different parents. Both were born in a 5 year window around 1910.
Gambino member:
Vincent James Palmisano Jimmy Dee 4/14/1914 Providence, RI 64 Tell St, Providence, RI 02909 Rhode Island Guiseppe Palmisano Trabia Francesca Gugliotta Rose De Maria FBI # 601072 Trabia Palermo Sicily x Soldier Silesi
Not sure if there's any relation.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

sdeitche wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:39 pm

Nino La Scalzo

I find the LoScalzo Tampa-Nola connection to be interesting which is why I'm leaning towards including him but I'm also thinking that if I keep him off, it could go on another chart if Inter-Family Connections. It's like Tony Musso, I believe Partincanese, arrived in Detroit, married a Piro from Nola and was briefly boss of Rockford. Fascinating shit.
He very well may have been an associate, but so little is known about him. His son and I may have mentioned this before, is a highly regarded chef in Tampa, and a very nice guy. https://www.lokocuisine.com/about/
Do you have his DOB-DOD?

The son's a chef? I'd like to meet him.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:04 am
B. wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:40 pm

Do we know where the Farruggia's are from?

Also, Ralph Emery of Chicago was the owner of the Nola Printing Company. Father Jimmy was close to both Sam Carolla and Frank Coppola-

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... te%20emery
Ralph was a suspected member in Chicago Heights. His father Vincenzo “Jimmy Emery” Ammirato was the capodedina who preceded Frankie LaPorte. Both LaPorte and Ralph Emery were stated to have been traveling to NOLA for business together during this period.

Ralph was a partner with Carolla, Pecoraro, Joe Marcello Jr, and Poretto in Nola Printing, which was said to actually be controlled by Carlos Marcello. Nola Printing apparently had the exclusive rights to distribute racing wire reports from Chicago in the Louisiana region.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Info on the guys lynched in 1891: https://digital.lib.niu.edu/islandora/o ... in%3A10943

Mr. Minister: I have the honor to send you a list of the Italian subjects who were killed on the 14th instant, together with such particulars concerning them as I have been able to obtain.

(1) Pietro Monasterio, who arrived from Italy January 7, 1890. He was not naturalized, and his regular passport must be in the prison. His wife and five children are at Caccamo, Sicily. He was to have a new trial on the ground of "mistrial."

(2) Vincenzo Traina, son of Joseph, born at Contessa Entellina, and 36 years of age. He was not naturalized, and his passport must be on the plantation at Sarpy, where he lived. He had a father and mother in Italy, and had not yet been brought to trial.

(3) Loreto Comitis, 50 years of age. He was not naturalized and was a native of Inadella (Aquila). I am informed that he had a wife and daughter here, but I have not yet been able to ascertain where they are. He had not been tried.

(4) Rocco Geraci, a native of Monreale or Palermo, 32 years of age. I have been informed that he had a wife and children, which statement I propose to verify, if possible. It does not appear, from the lists of citizens that he had been naturalized. He had not yet been tried.

(5) Antonino Marchesi, whose real name was Antonio Grimando, shown by his passport. He was the son of the late Joseph (Giuseppe)
Grimando and was a native of Roccamena. He was 48 years of age and had been in this country 2 years. He was a widower and had one son, whose name is Gaspare, and who is 14 years old. He declared his intention to become naturalized under the name of Antonino Marchesi only 12 days before Hennessy was assassinated, i. e., October 3, 1890.

(6) Emmanuele Polizzi, son of Salvatore Polizzi, deceased. He was 28 years of age and a native of San Cipirello Jato (Palermo). Neither of his parents is now living, but he has two brothers and three sisters in Italy. He declared his intention to become naturalized only 1 day before the assassination of Hennessy, that is to say, on the 13th instant (sic). He was to have been tried again on the ground of mistrial.

(7) Antonio Scaffidi, called Antonino Scaffidi in his passport. He was the son of Diego Scaffidi and Guiseppa Scaglione, who is still living. He was 25 years of age and was born at Brolo, near Patti. He declared his intention of becoming naturalized on the 10th of October, 1887, and, according to the Constitution of the United States, is not yet an American citizen. He was to be tried again on account of mistrial. He had a wife, a son, a mother, and a sister.

(8) Antonio Abbagnato. He was indicted under the name of Antonio Bagnetto and was born at Palermo on the 25th of June, 1846. He was a seaman. He declared his intention to become naturalized December 26, 1887, and was not yet an American citizen, according to the Constitution of the United States, inasmuch as the 5 years prescribed by law had not yet elapsed, to say nothing of the change made by him in his name.

(9) Girolamo Caruso, a native of Palermo. He declared his intention to become naturalized September 18, 1886. For the reason above stated, he could not yet be considered as an American citizen, although, according to the law of Louisiana, he had been allowed to vote. He was probably a little over 30 years of age. He had not yet been tried.

- Pietro Monastero was the father of Pittsburgh boss Stefano Monastero, murdered 1929.

- Antonino "Marchesi" Grimando from Roccamena sticks out... Nicolo Schiro was from Roccamena and his relatives from Camporeale were named Marchese. Schiro's cousin Gioacchino Rizzuto was also a New Orleans mafioso.

- Emanuele Polizzi is said to be from "San Cipirello Jato", obviously a combo of the overlapping towns of San Cipirello and San Giuseppe Jato. An early mafioso in Utica was a Polizzi who may have come from San Giuseppe and DeCavalcante captain Frank Polizzi was from San Giuseppe an related to older mafiosi from there.

Couple of mainlanders too but the murdered guys weren't necessarily made members.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:29 am
sdeitche wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:39 pm

Nino La Scalzo

Do you have his DOB-DOD?

The son's a chef? I'd like to meet him.
DOD is 11/14/1975

dont have a DOB, but he was 32 when he passed away
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Philip Rizzuto was a KC member/associate.
rizzuto.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Rizzuto was born in KC and raised in New Orleans. Not sure he was on record w/ KC but that's a great find, shows he maintained close ties to the KC Family.

His father Gioacchino "Jack" was a Bonanno member or associate in Brooklyn under cousin Nicolo Schiro before Kansas City and New Orleans. He's probably one of the fathers Marcello referred to. Jack Rizzuto was regarded as a top New Orleans mafiosi.