[Current] mobster’s homes

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

newera_212
Full Patched

Re: [Current] mobster’s homes

Post by newera_212 »

How many of these guys are just overleveraged as fuck just like dozens of millions of other Americans? We don't know (we could find out pretty easily though) if these places are mortgaged , what their monthly is, etc. - it's gotta be stressful either way . I'm not rolling in it, but I'm not cheap either , and I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay like $30K in landscaping, mortgage on a $2.5mm house, etc. - just seems crazy. Especially when there is the prospect of asset forfeiture, accounts being seized, having to start all over again. What is someone like Giallanzo going to do when he gets out? Figure out where the people who still owe him $ are and chase them down?

I think the guys who are in the best positions are people like Pipitone, Joe C Jr., people who have pretty deep familial ties to LCN and access to money through a ton of different channels/people, entrenched in their communities, etc. I imagine their modest houses on Long Island are probably paid off , they probably got a crazy amount of money at their respective weddings, etc. - some of these other guys with the big McMansion on Staten Island or in Manapalan,etc... I really wouldn't be surprised if they are on shaky ground. Maybe I'm overthinking it and underestimating how smart some of them could possibly be
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

newera_212 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am How many of these guys are just overleveraged as fuck just like dozens of millions of other Americans? We don't know (we could find out pretty easily though) if these places are mortgaged , what their monthly is, etc. - it's gotta be stressful either way . I'm not rolling in it, but I'm not cheap either , and I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay like $30K in landscaping, mortgage on a $2.5mm house, etc. - just seems crazy. Especially when there is the prospect of asset forfeiture, accounts being seized, having to start all over again. What is someone like Giallanzo going to do when he gets out? Figure out where the people who still owe him $ are and chase them down?

I think the guys who are in the best positions are people like Pipitone, Joe C Jr., people who have pretty deep familial ties to LCN and access to money through a ton of different channels/people, entrenched in their communities, etc. I imagine their modest houses on Long Island are probably paid off , they probably got a crazy amount of money at their respective weddings, etc. - some of these other guys with the big McMansion on Staten Island or in Manapalan,etc... I really wouldn't be surprised if they are on shaky ground. Maybe I'm overthinking it and underestimating how smart some of them could possibly be
its like any other company. some are doing well and invested right and some live check to check.
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Leveraged to f.
Imo

Image is a big thing for these guys. Coupled lack of education. Coupled hardly great upbringing, stable home, dad in prison etc.

Coupled get get get one on Cheech ;)
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dr031718 »

Anyone got a recent pic of Merlino’s house?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

newera_212 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am How many of these guys are just overleveraged as fuck just like dozens of millions of other Americans? We don't know (we could find out pretty easily though) if these places are mortgaged , what their monthly is, etc. - it's gotta be stressful either way . I'm not rolling in it, but I'm not cheap either , and I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay like $30K in landscaping, mortgage on a $2.5mm house, etc. - just seems crazy. Especially when there is the prospect of asset forfeiture, accounts being seized, having to start all over again. What is someone like Giallanzo going to do when he gets out? Figure out where the people who still owe him $ are and chase them down?

This is a great point, they dramatized this on the Sopranos. And frankly, we might have seen a very recent case of exactly this with Cali, and how his wife apparently couldn't afford that mansion.

I've felt for awhile that asset forfeiture hurts nearly as much as jail time.

I thought it pretty smart, and also hilarious in that Camuso indictment, guys telling Mannino to pay taxes and show up for work, lol..
Beatty
Straightened out

Post by Beatty »

CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:52 pm

This is a great point, they dramatized this on the Sopranos. And frankly, we might have seen a very recent case of exactly this with Cali, and how his wife apparently couldn't afford that mansion.

I've felt for awhile that asset forfeiture hurts nearly as much as jail time.

I thought it pretty smart, and also hilarious in that Camuso indictment, guys telling Mannino to pay taxes and show up for work, lol..

There's some law about forfeiture protecting marital assets for certain types of crime. It's why madoff's wife kept their $10m castle. I'd bet it has something to do with that
Beatty
Straightened out

Post by Beatty »

Cheech wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:57 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:41 am
Cheech wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:07 am You can argue this is one of the best ages to be a mobster
Or, not.

(No Unions, concrete club, garmet district, wharves, fish market, trucking, JFK, hijacking, weeds legal, you get 7yrs for loan, same for gambling , which is legal almost everywhere... anything else?)

In my humble.
I love youre on the other side. Makes me feel better about my opinion.

I think the question of better for WHO should be asked. It's probably worse for the more violent guys (the gangsters) but better for the less violent/ white collar guys (the racketeers)
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

Currently in jail but apparently Jimmy LaForte was living here:

https://streeteasy.com/building/the-copper/w48b

He’s being sued for failing to the pay $25k/month rent …
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

TSNYC wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:07 am
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:33 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:59 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:02 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:03 pm
TSNYC wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:13 am John LaRocca - Staten Island
2 or 3 blocks from Frank Cali’s house and even closer to where Castellano lived. Big money on the hill.
Who's John larocca?

Only Google I can find is Pittsburgh boss
Genovese captain, he owns the Campania restaurants in Brooklyn and Staten Island.
He's another Genovese captain identified by Pennisi. The others being Barry Nichilo and Rocco DiPietro.
LaRocca used to own/run the Pearl Room and 101… think he’s a relative of former local 8 boss Tony Guardino who was caught up in case with John Barbato years ago, makes me wonder if the LaRocca crew is the former Barbato crew?
pearl room and 101 lol. what was the name of the chinese place? la yeun?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
MoLarryCurly
Straightened out

Post by MoLarryCurly »

CornerBoy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:55 am
TSNYC wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:07 am
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:33 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:59 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:02 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:03 pm
TSNYC wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:13 am John LaRocca - Staten Island
2 or 3 blocks from Frank Cali’s house and even closer to where Castellano lived. Big money on the hill.
Who's John larocca?

Only Google I can find is Pittsburgh boss
Genovese captain, he owns the Campania restaurants in Brooklyn and Staten Island.
He's another Genovese captain identified by Pennisi. The others being Barry Nichilo and Rocco DiPietro.
LaRocca used to own/run the Pearl Room and 101… think he’s a relative of former local 8 boss Tony Guardino who was caught up in case with John Barbato years ago, makes me wonder if the LaRocca crew is the former Barbato crew?
pearl room and 101 lol. what was the name of the chinese place? la yeun?

Lai yuuu ennnnn! Steak medallions
You know I could have worked for U P fucking S and made more money then this....
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

LOLOLOL
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

TSNYC wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:28 pm Currently in jail but apparently Jimmy LaForte was living here:

https://streeteasy.com/building/the-copper/w48b

He’s being sued for failing to the pay $25k/month rent …
I know that building very well, that's the "American Copper Building" looks like they changed their name to "The Copper" lol - I managed a building close by and that place was a competitor more or less. Units there are way overpriced for what they are. Like egregiously overpriced, even by Manhattan standards. The coolest thing about it is the skybridge that connects both buildings, where there is a pool and I believe a gym (IIRC there are a couple gyms in the building).

Funny that he was even able to rent there - I know where I was at, even if he did a corporate lease, we would have turned him down the minute his background check came in or we saw alleged mob ties with a quick google search. Call it discriminatory but outside of fair housing guidelines, living there was at our discretion and criminals are not a protected class. The only way he'd be able to rent would be to get someone else to hold the lease and just be an occupant, or possibly get a solid guarantor without a criminal record. Since COVID some of these luxury rental places threw all that out the window just to get people in the door, I wonder if that's what happened here. From 2020 onwards those types of buildings weren't in great shape and I bet they are still bouncing back.
bluehouse
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by bluehouse »

newera_212 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am What is someone like Giallanzo going to do when he gets out? Figure out where the people who still owe him $ are and chase them down?
i don't understand how he didn't launder his money even a Jr accountant could've helped him out with that
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

newera_212 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am What is someone like Giallanzo going to do when he gets out? Figure out where the people who still owe him $ are and chase them down?
You think people stopped paying because he went away? Wrong, he’s got people on the outside handling his action. He’s a major loan shark and he’s done bids before, the operation doesn’t just fall apart when he has to do some time.

And yes if you owe him money and you aren’t paying he will absolutely chase you down.
aray22
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by aray22 »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:39 pm
You think people stopped paying because he went away? Wrong, he’s got people on the outside handling his action. He’s a major loan shark and he’s done bids before, the operation doesn’t just fall apart when he has to do some time.

And yes if you owe him money and you aren’t paying he will absolutely chase you down.
His entire crew got locked up. Would be curious who was still on the street collecting for him.