Ndrangheta in NY

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Re: Ndrangheta in NY

Post by calabrianwatch »

Posted it also in the news from Italy forum

There is no news in the USA because the operation was in Italy and the extortions are actually in Italy. The FBI gave the info about their own operation which has not happened yet (the Italians had to go first to avoid creating problems) and the FBI one was about confiscation and seizures not necessarily arrests as far as the documents say..so we need to wait for anything in the USA but the suspected extortion in Manhattan are not confirmed they were “suspected” - and were probably about produce/wine/food as there is reference about a supermarket. For now all we see in the USA is a man laundering money for this Crotone based clan, which by the way is an emerging clan.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Has anyone heard of Angelo Ciancio?

Gambino associate deported in the 1990s who then lived in Canada where he was partnered with the 'Ndrangheta in an automobile scam. I believe he's Calabrian. There's an Angelo Ciancio who has been involved in crime in Italy which might be the same guy but not sure.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

Does anyone know which alleged extortion investigation of March 2020 by FBI are they referring to?

https://www.agenzianova.com/en/news/ope ... 8-arresti/
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

CabriniGreen wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:49 am Now.... the question...

Were/are they "with" a NY family? Are they part of the Genovese connected Ndrangheta? Are they part of this network which Sergi considers to be the strongest in NY, the Genovese?

Or do they operate completely autonomously? With no direct tie to the Five families? Either is pretty significant news it seems...
My uneducated guess is ndrangheta are separate/ autonomous from NY families but work together in investing (construction, food, poker machines, port/ trucking ) and / or use Ny specialized services in money laundering. Their growth in Canada will possibly lead to growth in NY. As Violi tapes said that everyone works together today.

IMO italy and NY food business has become important and growing (maybe why Cali was so important ) with Ny specializing In the distribution of fruits/ veggies/ cheese / Italian specialties from Italy. Penissi said Joey Amato had a food business

It’s possible Calbrians more recent success and desire to grow internationally added resources to small cities like Buffalo (maybe LA?) , providing everyone with a boost in cash flow. These areas have almost no LCn LE today and are smart places to dip their toe in and grow out from there ( Canada to Buffalo to NYC/ NJ eventually )
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

i;m truly confounded by all of this.
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

I think it's more complicated to see what we really have here now, because you have had the routine inclusion for many years of Italians and Italian Americans from any part of Italy into the U.S. families--whether from Sicily, Naples or Calabria--with no connection (or no more real relationship) to any of the geographically distinct groups in Italy.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

UTC wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:20 pm I think it's more complicated to see what we really have here now, because you have had the routine inclusion for many years of Italians and Italian Americans descended from any part of Italy into the U.S. families--whether from Sicily, Naples or Calabria--with no connection (or no more real relationship) to any of the geographically distinct groups in Italy.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

This is quite interesting...what do 'we' know about this Teodoro Matozzo being linked to Colombo and Gambino families?

https://www.quotidianodelsud.it/calabri ... osa-nostra
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

calabrianwatch wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:05 am This is quite interesting...what do 'we' know about this Teodoro Matozzo being linked to Colombo and Gambino families?

So this has been going on since at least 2016? This is great stuff Calabrianwatch! Do you think you can get the documents?

Bro..... this gotta be the active thread... this is actually major news...
aray22
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by aray22 »

calabrianwatch wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:05 am This is quite interesting...what do 'we' know about this Teodoro Matozzo being linked to Colombo and Gambino families?

Is there a way to read that in English?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Calabria Croton Chronicles Judicial
The Rocca di Neto clan and the racketeering on Long Island on behalf of Cosa nostra
ANTONIO ANASTASIS

ROCCA DI NETO (KR) - The American Cosa Nostra had asked men of the Valle del Neto gang to extort Manhattan entrepreneurs. The criminal axis between New York and the Crotone area passed through the "services" rendered by the 'Ndrangheta; services that had been solicited by Teodoro Matozzo, known as "Terry", originally from Satriano, in the Catanzaro area, considered a leading exponent of American organized crime and closely connected, apparently, to the well-known Gambino and Colombo families.

At least this was the report sent to the Catanzaro DDA, through the International Police Cooperation Service, as part of the "I can" project, in March 2020, by the New York FBI, which had launched an investigation into a criminal association headed by Matozzo. The 'Ndrangheta group, active in the Long Island area, would be made up of the Corigliano di Rocca di Neto and Iona di Belvedere Spinello families.

There is this and more in the documents of the investigation coordinated by the prosecutor Antimafia Domenico Guarascio, and conducted by the Flying Squad of the Crotone Police Headquarters and by the Central Operational Service of the State Police, which led, last Monday, to the blitz with which I The new structures of the Rocca di Neto gang have been disarticulated but which can be linked to the global attack on the 'Ndrangheta of which Italy is the main inspiration. A report on the clan's projections in the USA highlights the contribution provided to the New York investigators by a source who had spilled something about the suspicious activities that Ernesto Toscano, a 56-year-old from Rocca di Neto, would have carried out on behalf of Matozzo between America and the 'Italy.

Toscano, in particular, would have become part of the Calabrian organized crime station based in New York thanks to the support of his father-in-law Giovanni Fabiano, arrested in the United States for illegal possession of weapons and investigated for alleged drug trafficking. More specifically, Toscano would have directed his fellow villager Ennio Lerose to go to Rocca di Neto to make direct contact with his uncles, Pietro Corigliano and Martino Corigliano, the former believed to be at the top of the Rocca di Neto clan, to «convince them to intervene in carrying out a serious extortion against a Manhattan businessman». The extortion having been carried out, Matozzo, satisfied with the "work" carried out by the "good guys" from Rocchi, would have instructed the Calabrian criminal group to carry out other extortions against entrepreneurs residing in the State of New York.

SUSPICIOUS TRANSACTIONS
The economic-financial checks conducted by the American investigators at the request of the SCO would then have made it possible to identify suspicious transactions carried out by Toscano at the check-exchange agency "Sabrina's Check Cashing Inc.", located in Hempsteadal, at 571 Uniondale Avenue in Long Island. Between December 2016 and October 2017, at that same agency, the man had changed 33 checks into cash for an amount of over 780 thousand dollars (equal to approximately 670 thousand euros) issued by the construction company "Roccaway Construction Corp." by Massimiliano Guarascio in favor of the company "M&E Construction" referable to Toscano.

The non-banking operations alone cost over 17,000 dollars (about 15,000 euros) in taxes and services. Guarascio is domiciled in Glen Clove, destination of the exodus of thousands of emigrants from Belvedere Spinello, a few meters from the home of Antonio Iona

Similarly, similar suspicious transactions were traced carried out during 2019 at the same financial office, by Lerose and Iona: the first appeared to have changed checks for almost two million dollars, issued in favor of the painting company of the same name "Professional Painting by Ennio”; the other, securities for almost 800 thousand dollars issued in favor of his company “I.G.C. Wall Systems Inc." The "cheque exchange" agencies, although they operate in legal conditions, are often used by criminal groups, underlines the Sco, to launder the proceeds of their illegal activities, even in the face of fleeting and generic money tracing procedures, free from control systems of the American Central Bank.

FBI analysts investigated the social relationships of the suspects, tracking the traffic of US telephone users, and a picture emerged which would confirm the hypotheses put forward by the Italian investigators regarding the existence of a unitary group of 'Ndrangheta operating in the area of Long Island, directly attributable to the Corigliano di Rocca di Neto and Iona di Belvedere Spinello clans.

IN 3 MONTHS EARNINGS OF 15 THOUSAND EUROS
From the wiretaps an illegal practice would emerge that Matozzo and his US acolytes used to follow with the co-option of Calabrians to be employed in unspecified activities, including presumably illegal work, in different areas of the State of New York.

It is no coincidence that Toscano would speak of huge earnings, estimated at over 5 thousand dollars a month, accrued after quarterly stays following the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) authorization. «Now that they're starting to run out a bit... [with money, ed.] I'm taking it again... I go to America when I have to buy something... last time I had to buy a car... without financing and nothing... in three months you make fifteen thousand euro…I went down [that is, I went back to Calabria] and bought the car».

Lavish revenues thanks to which the suspects could go on holiday to the Caribbean. "We were left to go to America ... and we did New York ... then we did Cuba, Santo Domingo and we'd come back". The American dream is much better than the prospect of staying in Calabria, where you work in the countryside for little money. "If I quit this job [in Italy] I'm going to America again!", "Otherwise you can go to work on the land for a thousand euros a month?". In another interception, Toscano complains that he has not been able to regain the authorization to travel without a visa, issued by the United States government.

THE HOOKUPS OF TERRY

Toscano, thanks to Terry's "connections", confided in his interlocutors that he could open a VAT number in America. Matozzo, moreover, would have confided to him: "Erne, don't worry that if I have to help you, I can help you, rightly, what I give you, you have to give it back to me". The strategy was to take advantage of his wife's name, which appeared for the first time in the registers of the American chambers of commerce and to identify people willing to travel to New York for short periods of labor thanks to the tourist authorization Esta.

Terry's influence was great: after a simple phone call from Matozzo in Italy, Toscano had received many job offers. «I received... you know how many calls... From Reggio Calabria, from Sicily, from Monza... Where they make the marble... From Massa Carrara... with one... call from Terry... a hundred called me... I made only one call to Matozzo and you see that has moved the world has moved! Did you understand?.

REQUEST FOR REGISTRATION
There was enough for the DDA led by Gratteri to ask the US Department of Justice for judicial assistance, after the reporting of extortion episodes carried out by the 'Ndrangheta in New York. It was necessary to investigate the economic movements of characters linked to the Corigliano and Iona clans on the possible laundering in America of the proceeds unduly obtained through blackmail actions, clandestine bets, gambling, reuse of precious and valuables.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

I have some of the documents - in Italian obviously and in a pdf NON searchable format. I'll post when I get a chance to read some of it later!

what @cabrinigreen posted is here https://news.italy24.press/local/296477.html but translation is automatic not that careful
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

MATOZZO Teodoro appears to be director and owner of the company "Oro Puro II", located in Franklin Square (NY), at 1033 Hempstead Turnpike - Long Island

This is the business relationship. There is no name for the Gambino or Colombo indicated

calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:14 pm And Sergi’s analysis
https://icalabresi.it/rubriche/new-york ... sa-nostra/
Good find. Breaks it down better.
All roads lead to New York.