Ndrangheta in NY

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: Ndrangheta in NY

Post by CabriniGreen »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:32 pm
calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:14 pm And Sergi’s analysis
https://icalabresi.it/rubriche/new-york ... sa-nostra/
Good find. Breaks it down better.
I'm still confused as to where Cosa Nostra comes into it....

The 1st article has "Terry" seeking permission from Corigliano in Crotone for the extortions, but it's unclear who from either the Gambinos or Colombos commissioned the extortion. And what was being extorted, and how. Or what was the reason. Were they doing it to make inroads into the American mafia power structure? A favor to the families?

This Iona family seems to have a lot of money. It seems to be clean money? From supermarkets? Why so much subterfuge? The fees they paid just to swap checks between companies? 15- 20k? Why..... if the money is clean? From legitimate business? I feel like there's more here than being said?

This "Terry" is supposed to be prominent amongst the families in NY. He has access to cheap "labor", an asset he deploys in NY to build better relations with the families? He's an associate? A powerful one apparently.... they said he does drugs, gambling, and precious metals. Does he do all of this in NY? With Colombo and Gambino crews? The Colombos are Long Island right?

This supermarket stuff has me wondering if they had connections/relations with Cali.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

It is indeed quite confusing. There is no further mentioning of who in Gambino or Colombo this guy is connected to. He is not taking orders from Calabria - he is actually offering the calabrians (from Calabria, incoming) jobs and opportunities. Iona is the main clan in the area where Toscano and the others from Rocca di Neto come from. These Comito-Corigliano are smaller fishes in comparison…and the Iona guy by the way was not charged with anything…
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:15 am
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:32 pm
calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:14 pm And Sergi’s analysis
https://icalabresi.it/rubriche/new-york ... sa-nostra/
Good find. Breaks it down better.
I'm still confused as to where Cosa Nostra comes into it....

The 1st article has "Terry" seeking permission from Corigliano in Crotone for the extortions, but it's unclear who from either the Gambinos or Colombos commissioned the extortion. And what was being extorted, and how. Or what was the reason. Were they doing it to make inroads into the American mafia power structure? A favor to the families?

This Iona family seems to have a lot of money. It seems to be clean money? From supermarkets? Why so much subterfuge? The fees they paid just to swap checks between companies? 15- 20k? Why..... if the money is clean? From legitimate business? I feel like there's more here than being said?

This "Terry" is supposed to be prominent amongst the families in NY. He has access to cheap "labor", an asset he deploys in NY to build better relations with the families? He's an associate? A powerful one apparently.... they said he does drugs, gambling, and precious metals. Does he do all of this in NY? With Colombo and Gambino crews? The Colombos are Long Island right?

This supermarket stuff has me wondering if they had connections/relations with Cali.
Can anyone post the English version of the article

It’s possible the contractor victims fall under Columbo / Gambino purview in Long Island. Seems both those families have a lot going on in LI. Looks like they are taxing (extorting) the guys whom they are providing cheap labor to. My guess has been Calbrians would initially work with LCN in construction, food and check cashing areas and maybe it grows out further from there. They lost their power but Construction still seems like a major $ maker

Great labor racket but it likely died during covid but prolly booming right now as Americans don’t want to work hard labor anymore. It’s funny how most illegals are so positive about America.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

B. wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:34 pm Has anyone heard of Angelo Ciancio?

Gambino associate deported in the 1990s who then lived in Canada where he was partnered with the 'Ndrangheta in an automobile scam. I believe he's Calabrian. There's an Angelo Ciancio who has been involved in crime in Italy which might be the same guy but not sure.
Is this "Crazy Angelo" Ciancio, the one who was born in either 1967 or 1968? There's also another Angelo Ciancio who, if the newspapers reported his age correctly, was born in 1960. Both Ciancios seemed to have had experience with robberies and holdups.

Was the Ciancio you're inquiring about definitely on record with a particular made Gambino? Or is he an unconfirmed associate because he got lumped in with Gambino associates in the 95-438 US v. Candela, et al. and US v. Cassarino, et al. cases?

I scoured the digital Canadian newspaper archives and didn't find any relevant results about this Ciancio or his criminal activity.

In Italy, that surname is found most in Sicily, Campania, and Calabria (in that order). For example, Antonino Calderone mentions in Pino Arlacchi's book a Ciancio who is the owner of La Sicilia newspaper. There are Ciancios in Calabria who are definitely 'ndranghetisti.

And the holdup partner of the Ciancio born in 1960 -- Gasper Marciante -- likely had ancestry from Sicily or Puglia.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

antimafia wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:01 pm
B. wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:34 pm Has anyone heard of Angelo Ciancio?

Gambino associate deported in the 1990s who then lived in Canada where he was partnered with the 'Ndrangheta in an automobile scam. I believe he's Calabrian. There's an Angelo Ciancio who has been involved in crime in Italy which might be the same guy but not sure.
Is this "Crazy Angelo" Ciancio, the one who was born in either 1967 or 1968? There's also another Angelo Ciancio who, if the newspapers reported his age correctly, was born in 1960. Both Ciancios seemed to have had experience with robberies and holdups.

Was the Ciancio you're inquiring about definitely on record with a particular made Gambino? Or is he an unconfirmed associate because he got lumped in with Gambino associates in the 95-438 US v. Candela, et al. and US v. Cassarino, et al. cases?

I scoured the digital Canadian newspaper archives and didn't find any relevant results about this Ciancio or his criminal activity.

In Italy, that surname is found most in Sicily, Campania, and Calabria (in that order). For example, Antonino Calderone mentions in Pino Arlacchi's book a Ciancio who is the owner of La Sicilia newspaper. There are Ciancios in Calabria who are definitely 'ndranghetisti.

And the holdup partner of the Ciancio born in 1960 -- Gasper Marciante -- likely had ancestry from Sicily or Puglia.
I'm not sure who if anyone Ciancio was on record with in New York but in addition to the case you mentioned he was very close to Gambino associate Sal Mangiavillano in both Brooklyn and after they were deported to Canada. Both were working with the 'ndrangheta there.
'
Sal is Sicilian and his uncle was an Agrigento-born made member of the Gambinos -- when he illegally crossed the Niagara into the US in 1999, he said an 'ndrangheta member drove his car across the border and parked it by the dock where he entered.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:04 am I have some of the documents - in Italian obviously and in a pdf NON searchable format. I'll post when I get a chance to read some of it later!

what @cabrinigreen posted is here https://news.italy24.press/local/296477.html but translation is automatic not that careful
Apologies if I missed it but did you ever end up posting these? Could you?
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

Hi all, sorry for being absent! One of the documents I had in Italian I made searchable now - not much though on NY still interesting.

I am trying to upload it here but the pdf doesn't seem to be working as upload.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

It appears I can't attach pdf - see here for download on rocca di Neto file https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20240424o5qvrKE9
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 am It appears I can't attach pdf - see here for download on rocca di Neto file https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20240424o5qvrKE9
Nice, thanks !
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Thanks CW