What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by JoelTurner »

On MMC’s 1930s-1950s Detroit Chart, there’s a Liborio Mangiaracina listed with a comment saying “Poss. N.J.”

I’m not sure when he was in Detroit. I haven’t seen any Michigan records for him.
—————

Liborio Mangiaracina was born in Camporeale on Dec 8 1890 to Giuseppe Mangiaracina and Palma Gennosa.

At some time between 1912 and 1917, he moved from Brooklyn to the Newark area. Initially living at 16 Bedford St, he was at 136 Heckel St, Belleville, NJ in 1920. He later lived at 151 Brookwood St, E Orange, NJ before dying in Broward, FL in 1979.

He owned Varsity Clothing Co. (211 Grant Ave, E Newark, NJ). He was married to Francesca Surdi from Vita. Joe Accardi’s in-laws were also Surdis from Vita.

—————-

He had several siblings, two of whom were really interesting:

Calogero “Carl” Mangiaracina, born Dec 15 1880 in Camporeale, was living at 119 Heckel St, Belleville, NJ before moving to 134 N 15th St, Bloomfield, NJ. I strongly believe that he was the “C. Mangiaracina” identified as Sam Monaco’s partner in the liquor business.

Bernardo “Benny” Mangiaracina, born Jan 13 1899, lived at 118 Heckel St, Belleville, NJ. This was one house away from Liborio.

In November 1930, he took Dominic “The Ape” Pacelli to the hospital where he was later killed in what became one of Newark’s most notorious slayings.

—————-

This clears up a lot of the mystery that surrounded the Mangiaracinas. These brothers, especially Liborio and Calogero could have been early Newark members.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

You're doing great work, Joel
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:05 pm You're doing great work, Joel
Thank you!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Nice job. I agree Calogero is the best bet for Monaco's partner but a while back we discussed a guy Gaspare Mangiaracina who shows up on a list of Lucchese members in the 60s. You found he is listed as a C.Mangiaracina on one record and Gaspare can be Anglicized to Casper so he is another possibility.

Another "connected" Mangiaracina in NJ was Baldassare "Benny" Mangiaracina but he used the surname Mangina. He was from Alabama where he married mafioso Joe Caterinicchia's daughter and his sister-in-law was DeCavalcante boss Phil Amari's paternal aunt. He was from Castelvetrano and lived in the Elizabeth area after leaving AL. Nothing linking him to mafia activity beyond his relations.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:17 pm Nice job. I agree Calogero is the best bet for Monaco's partner but a while back we discussed a guy Gaspare Mangiaracina who shows up on a list of Lucchese members in the 60s. You found he is listed as a C.Mangiaracina on one record and Gaspare can be Anglicized to Casper so he is another possibility.
Looking back, I think I was way off with that Gaspare Mangiaracina that was discussed in the Lucchese 1963 thread. He was born in 1869 in Menfi and lived in Brooklyn. I don’t even think he was alive by the ‘60s.

Calogero; being younger and from Camporeale, fits the Newark family paradigm much better. Plus he lived in the area.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

So the Gaspare Mangiaracina from the Lucchese Family list is still unaccounted for. Will have to see what I can find.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Liborio Mangiaracina was married Francesca Surdi.

Francesca Surdi was born Jan 21 1896 to Baldassare Surdi and Marianna Tedesco. All of their records simply say that they were from Trapani; their son Leonard was born in Ballata.

Her brother Leonard Surdi, born Nov 14 1894, lived at 354 S 7th St, Newark, NJ. He was married to Antoinette Accardi. She was born Apr 12 1894 in Vita to Vincenzo Accardi and Antonia Spano. She was a cousin to Salvatore Accardi, father of the Accardi bros.

Her brother Salvatore Accardi was born Apr 22 1889 in Vita and was married to Rosaria Contino. He lived at 427 15th Ave, Newark, NJ. This was directly opposite Sam Monaco/Vincenzo Troia’s office. At the time of Joe Accardi’s 1934 arrest with Anthony Scavuzzo and Charles Matranga, he gave this address.

Another brother was Giuseppe Accardi, born Feb 11 1900 in Vita. He immigrated to the US with early Gambino figure Accursio DiMino in 1921.

Also in 1921, her parents and siblings immigrated with Bonanno figure from Partinico, Salvatore Mangiaracina.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

May 1915, Angelo Plaia was arrested for perjury having lied on a bail bond for Mariano Lombardino.
(https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/876941033/)

———

Angelo Plaia was born Jun 13 1865 in Camporeale. He passed away on Jan 3 1943.

At the time of his arrest, he was living at 23 Bedford St, Newark, NJ. This was near the Pedone family (15 Bedford St), Vito Campione (32 Bedford St), Salvatore Lombardino’s BIL. Additionally, the Campisi family, also from Camporeale were nearby (8 Bedford St)

————-

I wasn’t able to find much on Mariano Lombardino.

Per his grave, he was born Aug 3 1876 and died on Feb 10 1946. At the time of his death, he was at 415 S 11th St, Newark, NJ. This was a few houses away from Salvatore Cannella (440 S 11th St)

Other than a naturalization blurb on Sep 7 1904, couldn’t find anything else. I’d speculate that he was related to the other Lombardinos; Salvatore had an uncle named Mariano and they tended to repeat names.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:37 pm I wasn’t able to find much on Mariano Lombardino.

Per his grave, he was born Aug 3 1876 and died on Feb 10 1946. At the time of his death, he was at 415 S 11th St, Newark, NJ. This was a few houses away from Salvatore Cannella (440 S 11th St)

Other than a naturalization blurb on Sep 7 1904, couldn’t find anything else. I’d speculate that he was related to the other Lombardinos; Salvatore had an uncle named Mariano and they tended to repeat names.
Looks like he was a brother of Salvatore Lombardino. I have Salvatore as born around 1894 in Gibellina to Rosario Lombardino and Lucia Pace. Mariano’s 1939 SS claims index record had him as Mariano Joseph Lumbardino, born August 3rd 1876 to Rosario Lumbardino and Lucia Baque [sic].
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:42 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:37 pm I wasn’t able to find much on Mariano Lombardino.

Looks like he was a brother of Salvatore Lombardino. I have Salvatore as born around 1894 in Gibellina to Rosario Lombardino and Lucia Pace. Mariano’s 1939 SS claims index record had him as Mariano Joseph Lumbardino, born August 3rd 1876 to Rosario Lumbardino and Lucia Baque [sic].
Wow great find!

I wonder if he was an early Colombo member. Since he died in the ‘40s, he wouldn’t have been identified later.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Here’s some info on Colombo member Angelo Speciale

He was John Misuraca’s sister’s nephew. His maternal uncle, Philip Tinervia, was married to Rose Misuraca. The Tinervia family lived at 13 Frederick St, Belleville, NJ a few houses away from Speciale (66 Frederick St, Belleville, NJ). Another brother, James Misuraca, lived opposite them (12 Frederick St, Belleville, NJ)

His maternal grandmother, Antonina DiBella, was born to Joseph DiBella and Maria Tocco of Montelepre. I don’t know if she was related to the Bonanno DiBellas, also from Montelepre. Vincenzo DiBella (4 Chester Ave, Bloomfield, NJ) lived about 5 minutes away from Angelo so they could have known each other.

His brother Lawrence was married to Giovanna “Jenny” Grippi. Her parents were Antonio Grippi and Concetta Lombardo. They were from Borgetto which borders Partinico, which is where Bonanno member Salvatore Grippi was from. Additionally, he lived next to the aforementioned Vincenzo DiBella at 265 N 15th St, Bloomfield, NJ

His MIL, Girolama Cammarata, was also from Borgetto. She came to the US with San Jose member Alex Cammarata and his mother Violante Morici. Before moving out west, he lived next door to Speciale at 74 Frederick St, Belleville, NJ.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Sam Accardi's mother Frances passed away in December of 1940, her funeral being held at Anello & Bonventre.

The address listed as 283 First Ave, Newark NJ. Both Salvatore and Joseph Accardi also lived there, but I can't find them listed on the 1940 census. Salvatore and Frances arrived in March the previous year, heading to Sam's residence at 35 Bloomfield Ave.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:50 am Image

Sam Accardi's mother Frances passed away in December of 1940, her funeral being held at Anello & Bonventre.

The address listed as 283 First Ave, Newark NJ. Both Salvatore and Joseph Accardi also lived there, but I can't find them listed on the 1940 census. Salvatore and Frances arrived in March the previous year, heading to Sam's residence at 35 Bloomfield Ave.
Great stuff!

Their house was next door to future Philadelphia member Anthony Perella’s store (293 1st Ave, Newark, NJ). He was living in Newark at the time but would later move back to Vineland, NJ. Like Big Sam, he was involved in ration stamps during WW2; they likely knew him.

Interesting choice of a funeral home too considering it was run by Bonanno members.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The doctor who signed the certificate was Sylvester Occhipinti who came from Vita like them. I looked it up because Sam DeCavalcante's grandfather was a doctor named Simone Occhipinti but he came from Palermo. Interestingly they both spent time in Rome, though.

Good find on the Anello-Bonventre connection. Between the Accardis' relation to Bonanno members and presence in Tunis, they were probably connected to that circle going back to Sicily/Tunis.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Two of Sam Accardi's cousins, Leonardo and Pietro Morsellino, died around this time and neither of their funerals were held at Anello & Bonventre. Not to say that means it wasn't important, but the mother living in New Jersey and her funeral held in Bushwick is very interesting.
JoelTurner wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:01 pm Their house was next door to future Philadelphia member Anthony Perella’s store (293 1st Ave, Newark, NJ). He was living in Newark at the time but would later move back to Vineland, NJ. Like Big Sam, he was involved in ration stamps during WW2; they likely knew him.
Have you been able to find any records of Salvatore Accardi in the US? Other than his arrival in 1939 I haven't been able to find any.