What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:04 am Two of Sam Accardi's cousins, Leonardo and Pietro Morsellino, died around this time and neither of their funerals were held at Anello & Bonventre. Not to say that means it wasn't important, but the mother living in New Jersey and her funeral held in Bushwick is very interesting.
JoelTurner wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:01 pm Their house was next door to future Philadelphia member Anthony Perella’s store (293 1st Ave, Newark, NJ). He was living in Newark at the time but would later move back to Vineland, NJ. Like Big Sam, he was involved in ration stamps during WW2; they likely knew him.
Have you been able to find any records of Salvatore Accardi in the US? Other than his arrival in 1939 I haven't been able to find any.
This was his naturalization: (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=3338294#)
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

JoelTurner wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:12 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:04 am Two of Sam Accardi's cousins, Leonardo and Pietro Morsellino, died around this time and neither of their funerals were held at Anello & Bonventre. Not to say that means it wasn't important, but the mother living in New Jersey and her funeral held in Bushwick is very interesting.
JoelTurner wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:01 pm Their house was next door to future Philadelphia member Anthony Perella’s store (293 1st Ave, Newark, NJ). He was living in Newark at the time but would later move back to Vineland, NJ. Like Big Sam, he was involved in ration stamps during WW2; they likely knew him.
Have you been able to find any records of Salvatore Accardi in the US? Other than his arrival in 1939 I haven't been able to find any.
This was his naturalization: (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=3338294#)
Thanks!
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Not sure if this has been brought before, but Joe Accardi lived/worked with San Jose member Salvatore Vassalo in Pacific Grove, CA near Monterary California circa 1940:

JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:58 pm Not sure if this has been brought before, but Joe Accardi lived/worked with San Jose member Salvatore Vassalo in Pacific Grove, CA near Monterary California circa 1940:

Wow that's great!

Incredibly interesting, I had never thought that he would be in California
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

That's another Bonanno connection, as Sam Vassallo's brother-in-law was Nick Guastella of the Bonanno / San Jose Families whose son-in-law was in turn a Mule who transferred from the Bonannos. Excellent work.

Vassallo was probably a Bonanno member himself before he moved to CA, assuming he was already made, as he lived in Williamsburg.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

IMG_1876.jpeg
Salvatore Accardi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Great pic.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:12 pmGreat pic.
Thanks, it's always good to put a face to name. I got it from some INS files the National Archives had, but unfortunately there wasn't much else of note in there.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:05 pm IMG_1876.jpeg

Salvatore Accardi.
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Frank Cuva, born Feb 12 1889 in Campofelice, was an ironworker who lived at 519 15th Ave, Newark, NJ. This was less than a minute away from Salvatore Cannella and Lenny Pizzolato.

While I couldn’t connect him to any crimes, 3 of his daughters married some interesting people:

Rose: Married to Genovese member Charles Campisi

Helen: Married to Michael Zummo, son of Giovanni Zummo and Maria Lombardino. Giovanni was a likely Newark member already detailed in this thread and Maria was the sister of Colombo capo Salvatore Lombardino.

Margaret: Married to Louis Campisi, a mob associate and one of the Campisi bros.

————————

Frank may not have been a member or even a criminal but 3 of his daughters marrying criminals/connected people means that he was in that circle.

Also, interesting to think that the Campisi and Lombardino families were related, albeit distantly and through marriages.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

I was looking at Anthony Riela’s file yesterday and came across an interesting connection. A source said that Troia and Co. were killed by a faction opposed to their operation of the Two Star Italian lottery. I hadn’t seen their numbers operation being named before.

—-

About two years after the Troia killing, this Two Star Italian lottery was run by Philip Ceraudo (Cerruto?), Anthony Vassalo, and Francis Guglielmo

Anthony Vassalo was born Jul 31 1902 in New Orleans, LA to Rosolino Vassalo and Concetta Cortese. He was married to Philomena Pannetta. He died Feb 1986

——

In 1939, Rosolino Vassalo, Carmine Senatore, and Agostino Grieco got pinched for the same Two Star Italian Lottery.

- Carmine Senatore was born Mar 19 1876 in Nocera Superiore, Salerno, Campania. He was married to Josephine Lodato, also from there. He immigrated to the US on Apr 12 1905 and lived at 396 Chestnut St, Newark, NJ. He died Mar 28 1946.

- Agostino Grieco was born Jun 18 1884 in Castel Volturno, Caserta, Campania. He was married to Concetta “Jeanette” Gentile from Santangelo. He immigrated to the US on Feb 25 1902 and lived at 166 Bruce St, Newark, NJ. He died Mar 1973.

—-

Here’s some interesting information on Rosolino Vassalo and his son Anthony:

Antiliar wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:05 am Russell Vassallo said that his grandfather was a Mafia don in Newark who previously lived in New Orleans. His name was Rosolino Vassallo. According to the unavailable book Mafia Honor, Rosario first became involved with the Mafia in New Orleans.

According to information found on Ancestry.com, Rosolino was born March 25, 1879 in Alia, Palermo, Sicily, and died on May 14, 1944 in New Jersey (his wife Concetta Cortese was also from Alia). Alia lies almost between Lercara Friddi and Valleldolmo. He moved to New Jersey sometime between 1910 and 1915. In 1910 he lived at 4206 Magazine Street, New Orleans with his wife and two children. A third child, Anthony Vassallo, isn't enumerated for some reason, but he was the father of Russell. In 1922 and 1930 they lived at 205 Chestnut Street in Newark (in 1920 they lived on 17 1/2 Goble Street). Rosolino's naturalization was witnessed by Salvatore Cortese (who I guess may have been Concetta's brother) and a Salvatore Lulumello or Tulumello. Both of the witnesses were shoemakers, just like Rosolino. In 1940 Rosolino's occupation was farmer.
————

It looks like Rosolino Vassalo and his people took over the Two Star Italian lottery from Troia after the murder.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I was sure Troia was involved in some lottery names the Double Eagle or Golden Eagle lottery....I'll have to check my notes.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Stefano Badami was involved in the Double Eagle lottery after the break-up of Newark.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Per Garden State Gangland, Troia ran the Two Eagles lottery

Later, in the 1950s, Steve Badami ran the Two Eagles Lottery

————

John Misuraca, Salvatore Cannella, and Vito Oddo had the similarly named Two Crowns lottery

JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Newark -> Gambino member Anthony Accardi’s father Joseph was naturalized in Brooklyn in 1934.

His naturalization was witnessed by two interesting men:

1) Louis Falletta, a carpenter living at 652 Lincoln Ave, Brooklyn, NY. A relative of his, Antonino Falletta, also living at that address, witnessed Anthony Riela’s naturalization in 1937.

2) Leonard Vario, a painter at 968 Hemlock St, Brooklyn, NY. He was future Lucchese capo Paul Vario’s brother.

————

I hadn’t really looked at Antonino Falletta when I saw his name on Riela’s naturalization; I thought he was just some union business agent.

I don’t know if Joseph Accardi was ever a member, but it shows that Leonard Vario was moving in those circles way before Paul Vario ever became a member.