What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by B. »

JD said years ago the Varios were from Vita. I remember someone else looking into it and thinking they were from Monte San Giuliano (Erice). All I've seen is they were from "Trapani". Either way it's interesting the only known Lucchese elements from Trapani were the Newark crew and the Vario crew (the Varios and Joe Schiavo were from Trapani) and this looks to be an indirect connection between them.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:38 am JD said years ago the Varios were from Vita. I remember someone else looking into it and thinking they were from Monte San Giuliano (Erice). All I've seen is they were from "Trapani". Either way it's interesting the only known Lucchese elements from Trapani were the Newark crew and the Vario crew (the Varios and Joe Schiavo were from Trapani) and this looks to be an indirect connection between them.
Angelo previously said that the Varios were from MSG, and he was correct. Not sure where JD got Vita from.

Parents Pietro Vario and Maria Valguarnera both arrived in NYC on separate ships in 1907. While their most residence had been in Trapani comune, both stated that they were born in MSG.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Here’s their father Pietro’s Declaration of Intention:

The Vario family was staying in Central Ave in the 1910 census

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... ction=view)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for confirming the Varios were from Monte San Giuliano. I don't remember if it's only in Goodfellas or his book, but Henry Hill said his mother's heritage was in the same town in Italy as the Varios which contributed to his relationship wiith them, so apparently his mother was from Monte San Giuliano if that's true. It also tells us the Varios appreciated paesan connections.

The 1896 Castellammare case netted a couple figures from Monte San Giuliano working closely with the Castellammarese leaders -- it's worth pointing out that Joe Schiavo was Castellammarese and according to D'Arco he sponsored Paul and Babe Vario into the Lucchese Family. There is that FBI report too that says Paul Vario was originally with the Bonanno Family before the Luccheses which I don't believe is true of his membership but maybe he did associate with the Bonannos early on. He was very close to Mike Sabella whose family was from Sciacca but Sabella had cousins from Mazara del Vallo / Marsala in Trapani as evidenced by Willie Dara; Vario provided Sabella with protection under the Lucchese banner during the 1960s war according to Dara.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:57 pm I don't remember if it's only in Goodfellas or his book, but Henry Hill said his mother's heritage was in the same town in Italy as the Varios which contributed to his relationship wiith them, so apparently his mother was from Monte San Giuliano if that's true.
The line about his mother’s heritage was in the movie; idk about the book:
My mother was happy after she found out that the Ciceros came from the same part of Sicily as she did
Hill’s mother was born as Carmella Costa in 1912. If I have the right one, she was born in Barrafranca to Paolo Costa and Stella DiStefano and immigrated with her mother on Apr 16 1915.
(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJW8-52W)

Not the same town and not exactly right next door either. I guess that could have been a throwaway line.
B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:57 pm It also tells us the Varios appreciated paesan connections.
I agree with this. On one hand, maybe Lenny Vario witnessing Tony Accardi’s father’s naturalization was just him helping out a neighbor. The Varios (968 Hemlock St, Brooklyn, NY) were living about a minute away from Accardi (890 Crescent St, Brooklyn, NY). On the other hand, it could show that they would have been aware if not tapped into the mafia networks long before they officially joined in the ‘50s.
B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:57 pm it's worth pointing out that Joe Schiavo was Castellammarese and according to D'Arco he sponsored Paul and Babe Vario into the Lucchese Family. There is that FBI report too that says Paul Vario was originally with the Bonanno Family before the Luccheses which I don't believe is true of his membership but maybe he did associate with the Bonannos early on.
They did have some interesting connections to the Bonannos. Weren’t they close to the Asaro family or at least with Vinny?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, Paul Vario and Vinny Asaro were very close. Asaro / Vario plotted Lufthansa together according to Valenti and Jimmy Burke was "with" Vario but inseparable from Asaro. Valenti said he was told the only people involved in the Katz murder were Asaro, Vario, and Burke.

There was a Trapanese element in the Ozone Park area that included multiple generations of Asaros, Willie Dara, and Vito Bello of the Bonannos. Then we have the Varios and Schiavo around the Canarsie / East New York / Brownsville area. Wonder if there was a decent sized Trapanese population throughout those Brooklyn neighborhoods or if these guys were texceptions.

Thanks for reminding me what the line was. So Hill said, at least in Goodfellas, that it was his mother who was happy the Varios were from "the same part of Sicily", not the Varios saying it. If that was the sentiment though it still indicates the Varios' heritage was known in the neighborhood. But if Hill's mother is the one you found with a background in Barrafranca it would basically mean she was happy they were Sicilian and little more.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:53 pm So the Gaspare Mangiaracina from the Lucchese Family list is still unaccounted for. Will have to see what I can find.

I’m wondering if the Liborio Mangiaracina that I found may have been the Gaspare Mangiaracina on the Lucchese membership list.

He was generally listed as Liborio J Mangiaracina; his WW2 draft card had him as Liborio John Mangiaracina. If “Gaspare” was anglicized, maybe it could have been to John though I would guess it generally would be to Jasper which still matches his initials.

The government seemed to think that the informant was referring to a Detroit figure. There was a Gaspare S Mangiaracina (not Liborio), born Mar 24 1898 in Mazzara Del Vallo, who lived at 5727 Baldwin St, Detroit, MI. He did have arrests for gambling and liquor. Interestingly, Bill Feather’s 1930-1950 Detroit chart lists the Newark one though he never lived in Michigan.

Liborio Mangiaracina owned a garment factor which fits the Lucchese paradigm; additionally he died only in 1979. It’s possible that he could have been an obscure Lucchese member who snuck onto that list.

——————————-

Something interesting to note is that Newark -> San Jose member Anthony Scavuzzo listed his employment in 1942 at Liborio Mangiaracina’s clothing factory, Varsity Clothing Co. (211 Grant Ave, East Newark, NJ).

The LCN Bios post on him list his employment address as 211 Grand Ave, Newark, NJ. However, other sources place it at Grant Ave; Grand Ave also appears to be residential.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

In September 1941, Joe Accardi plead guilty to liquor charges. Interestingly, he was reported to be living at 92 N 15th St, Bloomfield, NJ.

(https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/280315687/)

What’s interesting is that was where Anna Bevinetto, wife of murdered Newark underboss Sam Monaco, was living in the 1940 census.

(https://www.familysearch.org/tree/sourc ... 3Y?context)

Additionally, Accardi’s bootlegging partner, Charles Matranga lived next door at 90 N 15th St, Bloomfield, NJ.

—————

Joe Accardi wasn’t living with Anna Monaco in the 1940 census, she was a widow with her 2 daughters. In fact, I haven’t been able to find him at all.

On his mother’s Dec 1940 death certificate, he’s living with his parents at 283 1st Ave, Newark, NJ.

His WW2 draft card has him at 201 Eardley Ave, Pacific Grove, CA. This was Sam Vassallo’s address in the 1940 census, however he doesn’t appear there either.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great connections.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Is there anything saying that Pietro Campisi joined the Genovese family?

Looking back, here’s what we actually know:

- Pietro Campisi sponsored Carmine Battaglia into the Newark Family.

- Pietro Campisi died on Nov 11 1940.

- Carmine Battaglia “returned the favor” and sponsored 3 of Pietro’s sons (Thomas, Charles, Anthony) into the Genovese family.

There’s no real indication that Pietro himself was ever a Genovese member. His sons were only in that family because they were sponsored by Battaglia.

Battaglia would have fit well in the Moretti crew; they had several members from Enna/Caltanissetta. Notably, his friend Ralph Belvedere from Barrafranca whom he sponsored church flags with in June 1936, before the breakup.

On the other, Pietro Campisi, being from Camporeale, would be fairly unique in the Genovese family. I’m not aware of any other of their members being from there.

Of course, this doesn’t rule him out as having been a member. It’s just that, other than his sons landing with that family, there’s no real indication that he was ever with them.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Not aware of any hard intel beyond a member he sponsored and his sons ending up there.

I would guess Battaglia ended up with the Catena crew later as they seem to have had more of the Sicilians than the other NJ Genovese crews, especially the ones from Caltanissetta / Enna.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:25 am Not aware of any hard intel beyond a member he sponsored and his sons ending up there.

I would guess Battaglia ended up with the Catena crew later as they seem to have had more of the Sicilians than the other NJ Genovese crews, especially the ones from Caltanissetta / Enna.
I’d guess so too. Also, the DeCarlo and Boiardo crews were basically their respective gangs while the Catena crew had a lot more “miscellaneous” members.

I do have to add that Battaglia told an informant (NY 3586-C-TE) that he could always be contacted at Sorrento's which was Boiardo's restaurant.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:17 pm In September 1941, Joe Accardi plead guilty to liquor charges. Interestingly, he was reported to be living at 92 N 15th St, Bloomfield, NJ.

What’s interesting is that was where Anna Bevinetto, wife of murdered Newark underboss Sam Monaco, was living in the 1940 census.

Additionally, Accardi’s bootlegging partner, Charles Matranga lived next door at 90 N 15th St, Bloomfield, NJ.

—————

Joe Accardi wasn’t living with Anna Monaco in the 1940 census, she was a widow with her 2 daughters. In fact, I haven’t been able to find him at all.

On his mother’s Dec 1940 death certificate, he’s living with his parents at 283 1st Ave, Newark, NJ.

His WW2 draft card has him at 201 Eardley Ave, Pacific Grove, CA. This was Sam Vassallo’s address in the 1940 census, however he doesn’t appear there either.
I was going over Rocco Fischetti's file and it mentioned a meeting at Joe Accardo's house in Livingston, NJ, attended by Rocco, Abner Zwillman, and others unmentioned in 1946. I'm wondering if this is Joe Accardi. Livingston is only 11 miles west of Bloomfield.

Unrelated, elsewhere it said that Charles and Rocco Fischetti were friends of Johnny D'Agostino, who owned Renault Winery in Egg Harbor (near Atlantic City). D'Agostino was born in NJ, but his father (maybe both parents) came from Messina. He was a major bootlegger in the 1920s and 30s, and was indicted in the 1937 John Torrio federal tax conspiracy case. He was killed in a car accident in 1948 or 49. The document described him as the boss of Egg Harbor.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:00 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:17 pm In September 1941, Joe Accardi plead guilty to liquor charges. Interestingly, he was reported to be living at 92 N 15th St, Bloomfield, NJ.

—————

I was going over Rocco Fischetti's file and it mentioned a meeting at Joe Accardo's house in Livingston, NJ, attended by Rocco, Abner Zwillman, and others unmentioned in 1946. I'm wondering if this is Joe Accardi. Livingston is only 11 miles west of Bloomfield. Maybe Joel can confirm if Joe Accardi ever lived in Livingston.

Unrelated, elsewhere it said that Charles and Rocco Fischetti were friends of Johnny D'Agostino, who owned Renault Winery in Egg Harbor (near Atlantic City). D'Agostino was born in NJ, but his father (maybe both parents) came from Messina. He was a major bootlegger in the 1920s and 30s, and was indicted in the 1937 John Torrio federal tax conspiracy case. He was killed in a car accident in 1948 or 49. The document described him as the boss of Egg Harbor.
Good find. The Accardi brothers did use the Accardo spelling too. That crew was connected to Chicago through Joe Abate who once associated with the Gennas and Abate was allegedly a cousin of the Accardis though he came from Marsala and not Vita.

Never heard of D'Agostino. Wonder if he was an early Genovese member in Egg Harbor.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:00 pm I was going over Rocco Fischetti's file and it mentioned a meeting at Joe Accardo's house in Livingston, NJ, attended by Rocco, Abner Zwillman, and others unmentioned in 1946. I'm wondering if this is Joe Accardi.
In 1946, his sister Patricia Accardi and her husband Onofrio Abate lived at 49 Hillside Ave, Livingston, NJ. At the time, Joe Accardi was still single, seeing as he may have been bouncing around during this period, it's quite possible that he briefly lived with them. If he resided there and hosted a meeting, outsiders wouldn't necessarily have known who exactly owned the house.

By 1949, he was married and living at 312 Mt. Prospect Ave, Newark, NJ.
Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:00 pm Charles and Rocco Fischetti were friends of Johnny D'Agostino [...] his father (maybe both parents) came from Messina. The document described him as the boss of Egg Harbor.
There were other Messinese in Egg Harbor. In 1936, Joe Abate and John Lardiere were arrested there with some South Jersey locals who were Messinese: Gus and Anthony Cappella from Gesso, Joseph Rifice from Naso, and Philip Grasso from Malvagna.

I'd seen D'Agostino's name as a part of Enoch "Nucky" Johnson's group, but I haven't looked into any of them. A lot of those people seemed to have big titles: Danny Stebbins - Nightclub Czar, George Hill - Race wire King, etc. I know that Herman "Stumpy" Orman led this group in their later years.

On the topic of Atlantic County, NJ and Chicago ties, Paul "Skinny" D'Amato who was the front owner of the 500 Club comes to mind.
B. wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:07 am That crew was connected to Chicago through Joe Abate who once associated with the Gennas and Abate was allegedly a cousin of the Accardis though he came from Marsala and not Vita.
I haven't seen any reference saying that Joe Abate was a cousin to the Accardi bros. However, I think it would be a lot likelier that Onofrio Abate was their cousin. Seeing as he was also from Vita and married their sister, it strikes me as being more probable. With Onofrio being fairly obscure, it's possible there may have been some confusion over the years.

Of course, I wouldn't rule out Joe Abate being related. We don't know anything about his family background and the Accardi bros were related to other mafia members from Trapani like Vincent Moresellino.