What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by JoelTurner »

Eld wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:44 pm Valachi identified Sam Accardi as a Newark member.
We can add him to our tally of confirmed Newark members

Here's what Valachi says in his biography: "I was loaned to Newark for about five Weeks as I was supposed to drive a truck as they were after a very important man. I remember his name but it is a hard name and I will try to do the best I can -- his name was Pordanor. He was a rich man and is important in Newark today. While I was in Newark I met quite a few boys. I met Tom Bell, Sam Accardo, Sam Monicor, Don Steve, a fellow named Joe and they were also after Richie. This Richie was shot in the head by Steve Ranelli with a shot gun and he hit him with all the blast in the head but Richie did not get hurt as the powder in the shells was very weak and we did not get anyone on the job that I was assigned to so I came back to N.Y.C."

Sam Monicor-> Sam Monica

Don Steve-> Stefano Badami

Joe LNU-> Joe Accardi? Could be anyone

I can't tell who's Tom Bell or Pordanor.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great find, Eld.

I believe "Pordanor" = Boiardo.

Some members believed to have been with Newark were in NJ long before Badami, so I question Bill Bonanno's info that they formed later, especially given his egregious mistake about D'Aquila. I don't know how long Badami was in Tunis before he came to the US but given the Accardis / Abates were there it could indicate some deeper connections there that played out in NJ after these guys came to the US. Badami's wife was also living in Roccamena (not sure if she was from there) which is interesting given Nicolo Schiro ended up in NJ and Camporeale/Bonannos had strong ties to Tunis.

Another question is what their "territory" was.

In the Gentile-sourced FBI report about D'Amico/Troia they describe Newark as a New York-New Jersey Family, though it's not clear if they were just generalizing that it was another Family in the metro area or if they actually had info the Newark Family was active in NYC much as NYC has NJ members and the DeCavalcantes have NYC members. We also discussed in another thread how Joe Abate may have been in Atlantic City as early as 1930 which could mean the Newark Family had members/associates in South Jersey as well.

Here is what Antonio Sunseri said about the Troia murder though obviously he wasn't completely forthcoming.

Should be noted Bevinetto had a criminal record and wasn't just a random neighborhood guy.

Stefano Badami was a roommate of Tony Riela for a period:

JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:05 pm I believe "Pordanor" = Boiardo.
Makes sense. Still wondering who's Tom Bell.

B. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:05 pm In the Gentile-sourced FBI report about D'Amico/Troia they describe Newark as a New York-New Jersey Family, though it's not clear if they were just generalizing that it was another Family in the metro area or if they actually had info the Newark Family was active in NYC much as NYC has NJ members and the DeCavalcantes have NYC members. We also discussed in another thread how Joe Abate may have been in Atlantic City as early as 1930 which could mean the Newark Family had members/associates in South Jersey as well.
The Buia brothers, who were associated with former Newark Family members, lived in Lower Manhattan. I think they were present in both Newark and NYC.
B. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:05 pm Here is what Antonio Sunseri said about the Troia murder though obviously he wasn't completely forthcoming.

Should be noted Bevinetto had a criminal record and wasn't just a random neighborhood guy.
That's a great find, I really couldn't find anything on those guys. So Sunseri and Bevinetto were both from San Giuseppe Jato, Troia had a little crew of his paisans. Is there any information on what they did after Troia died? I wonder if they were associates of any family.

It's weird that Riela wasn't there during the hit. It seems like the rest of the crew was there. I wonder if he was in on it.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm Just a few points to add:

- Obviously I understand that this is mostly speculative. Only Badami, Monaco and D'Amico have been confirmed as Newark borgata members, so some that we think could have been members may not have been.

- Anthony Riela was with Troia. Troia was his uncle and they both came from San Giuseppe Jato, then Illinois. Gentile tells us that Troia tried to take over the Newark Family, but his chronology is off. We don't know which Family they were members of in Illinois since most date the formation of the Springfield and Rockford Families in the 1930s, and we don't know if they transferred their membership to Newark after moving there.

- I get the impression from reading their files that Misuraca, Cammarata and Lombardino may have always been Profaci Family members. So it could go either way for me. The information is just not clear.

- Bill Bonanno in his posthumous book "The Last Testament of Bill Bonanno" wrote some things on Newark that are confused, but there might be a few grains of truth in them. He wrote that it was formed later than other Families, which makes sense considering when Badami arrived. Of course we don't know if maybe D'Amico was an earlier boss who for unknown reasons stepped down, then retook the throne after Badami was killed. There are other cases where an earlier boss became boss again later, like Tony Accardo. He wrote that Newark later went to Elizabeth, which appears to be false. He wrote that Salvatore D'Aquila was the leader of the Newark group, then after he was killed it went under Al Mineo and then absorbed into the Masseria group. We know that D'Aquila was the head of what is now the Gambino Family, but it's possible that Newark was a puppet of his.

- Elsewhere he wrote that before the Castellammarese War, Joe Masseria created a Family loyal to him in Newark. After Masseria was killed the Newark leaders resisted Luciano and Maranzano, so they ordered the Family to be broken up. Around 1934/35 the Family was disbanded, and members were given the option of joining any of the five New York Families. Most did, but some chose Buffalo and Pittsburgh.
I have always heard over the years that Troia was Riela's uncle but I have never seen the actual familial connection... does anyone know where their connection is? Troia's parents were Benedetto Troia and Rosalia Costanza. I have never found who the parents of Riela were however.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Don't know if Riela was in on the murder but he "came in" afterward and helped take account of Troia's underworld assets according to reports.

My guess is Troia was much like his buddy Maranzano in that he was used to a certain status and may have taken issue with his "lesser" position in Newark, though obviously the D'Amico shooting was totally unconnected to him unless it was his loyalists behind it or his ghost was still active in Cosa Nostra. Based on the Italian reports I believe he was sostituto (acting boss) for his cousin in San Giuseppe Jato before he fled to the US. His relatives were the leading clan in San Giuseppe going back to at least the mid-1910s.

As for relation, Riela's mother was a Polizzi and he had uncles named Polizzi living on Staten Island who were his business partners. I don't know the exact relation but it supports the info that Frank Polizzi was a "nephew" or cousin of some kind to Riela. A source said a number of people called Vincenzo Troia "uncle" so I don't know if there was a true relation between those two or simply a close relationship. Every mafioso from San Giuseppe Jato would have known of Troia and afforded him respect.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:41 pm Don't know if Riela was in on the murder but he "came in" afterward and helped take account of Troia's underworld assets according to reports.

My guess is Troia was much like his buddy Maranzano in that he was used to a certain status and may have taken issue with his "lesser" position in Newark, though obviously the D'Amico shooting was totally unconnected to him unless it was his loyalists behind it or his ghost was still active in Cosa Nostra. Based on the Italian reports I believe he was sostituto (acting boss) for his cousin in San Giuseppe Jato before he fled to the US. His relatives were the leading clan in San Giuseppe going back to at least the mid-1910s.

As for relation, Riela's mother was a Polizzi and he had uncles named Polizzi living on Staten Island who were his business partners. I don't know the exact relation but it supports the info that Frank Polizzi was a "nephew" or cousin of some kind to Riela. A source said a number of people called Vincenzo Troia "uncle" so I don't know if there was a true relation between those two or simply a close relationship. Every mafioso from San Giuseppe Jato would have known of Troia and afforded him respect.
Interesting too is that his sister Providenza married a Vitale.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Though he wasn't made until the 1950s, Angelo Bruno was familiar with the break-up of the Newark Family:

He isn't necessarily saying the Newark Family was distributed among these six names, just that these six groups are now active in Newark. I've tried to figure out who all he is referring to.

Philly, Genovese, Lucchese, and Gambino are obvious, but the other two are a mystery to me. I doubt "the old guy" is Boiardo given he wasn't made until the 1940s and Bruno already mentioned Genovese. Tony could be Riela which would cover the Bonannos but I don't know if he lived in Jersey City and Riela is the only likely ex-Newark member we know of who joined the Bonannos. The Colombos are notably absent from Bruno's list given they absorbed one of the largest ex-Newark factions, so "the old man" could be a reference to Lombardino, Misuraca, or Magliocco but who knows. Could also be a reference to the recently deceased Joe Profaci.

The first four groups he mentions are Families so I assume the last two refer to separate Families as well.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

JoelTurner wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:19 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm - I get the impression from reading their files that Misuraca, Cammarata and Lombardino may have always been Profaci Family members. So it could go either way for me. The information is just not clear.
What makes you think this? Informant NK-T6 says that Misuraca and Lombardino were Profaci members and that they had been in the same group as the Pizzolato bros who were confirmed Lucchese members. How else could they have been in the same group, which clashed with Richie Boiardo?
Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm He wrote that it was formed later than other Families, which makes sense considering when Badami arrived.
I think that's too late a date of formation. Several suspected members like Antonio Paterno- 1911, Pietro Campisi-1899, and Salvatore Lombardino- 1907 had been in the US for years. One interpretation could be that the other families were formed in the 1800s while Newark was formed in the 1900s.
Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm He wrote that Salvatore D'Aquila was the leader of the Newark group, then after he was killed it went under Al Mineo and then absorbed into the Masseria group. We know that D'Aquila was the head of what is now the Gambino Family, but it's possible that Newark was a puppet of his.
Mineo was killed on Novemeber 5th 1931 and Valachi was sent to help the Newark family immediately after February 4th 1931. Hypothetically, they could have split from what is now the Gambino Family; Badami becomes boss with help from Maranzano/Gagliano. We know that, by Feb 1931, Newark was an independent family that was not aligned with Masseria.
Do you have a link for NK T-6 where he says this? Maybe I have it but overlooked it or forgot it.

Regarding the formation date, you might be correct, I don't know. We lack information to come to any conclusions. It's possible it could have started out as a crew.

Here's some relevant pages from Misuraca's FBI file:
FBI file Misuraca p29 - D'Amico.jpg
FBI file Misuraca p30 - D'Amico.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Adding to the confusion is that Rotondo thought in one interview that Badami and Monaco were part of the DeCavalcante Family. However, Rotondo was a fan of this subject and may well have read Capeci's encyclopedia where he says Badami was the DeCavalcante boss or otherwise read Badami was a Newark boss and linked it in his head. Hard to say, but there is no evidence Badami was a DeCavalcante member at the time of his 1955 murder and he isn't referenced on the DeCavalcante tapes. Badami also didn't operate in Union County and the DeCavalcantes had very little going on north of Elizabeth, though Badami's cousin Louis Badami lived in Elizabeth as did a few Corleonesi families (the Majuris and even Joe Renna's family, the Peterstown paper guy). Like Stefano, Louis Badami was involved in the garment business in NYC.

Rotondo's reference to Phil Bacino being an early boss is definitely organic information, correct or not, as Bacino was Riberese and FBI files and immigration/genealogical records about Bacino's strong DeCavalcante connections have only become publicly available in more recent years. Bacino also died years before Rotondo became a member and had been living in Chicago for decades, making it unlikely he'd randomly come across his name in NYC/NJ without being told.

There is stronger evidence Badami and Monaco were the Newark admin, in which case it's possible the DeCavalcantes were originally with Newark but I have doubts about that. It doesn't make sense for a Newark Family to disband only for a separate North Jersey Family to break off, as that would better be explained as the Newark Family being the DeCavalcante Family with only certain factions breaking off. All sources are clear the Family was completely dissolved and there's no evidence the Riberesi in Elizabeth and New York City were affiliated with Newark. The DeCavalcante also might have its initial roots in the Manhattan Riberesi colony that existed as far back as the early 1890s (described in one report as the "old faction" of the DeCavalcantes).

Anything is possible, but our limited sources don't make it easy for us beyond the fact that a Newark Family existed, experienced conflict and was dissolved with some of the NYC Families absorbing ex-Newark members.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Also while we know compaesani relations aren't an absolute rule when it comes to affiliation and there are exceptions, the pattern is strong and Saverio Monaco was from Vita like Accardi and the Pizzolatos, who were with the Newark Family. Monaco has been described as the Newark underboss, but his heritage is further evidence in my opinion the Vita mafiosi were with Newark if the DeCavalcantes were indeed always a separate Family.

There was obviously a San Giuseppe Jato faction too but I haven't seen evidence this existed in any substance before the 1930s when the Illinois guys settled in New Jersey. To make matters more confusing though Frank Polizzi joined the DeCavalcantes and Tony Riela was described in multiple reports as being so close to the DeCavalcantes that he was informally treated like a member of their admin and helped advise the Family in the 1970s when Sam was in prison.
Last edited by B. on Mon May 16, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:18 pm Do you have a link for NK T-6 where he says this? Maybe I have it but overlooked it or forgot it.
Here it is: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... ombardino_
Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:18 pmHere's some relevant pages from Misuraca's FBI file:

Thanks for sharing! Boy, that source was not an unbiased one.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Adding to the likelihood that the Colombo NJ decina had roots in the Newark Family is that boss Gaspare D'Amico's brother John was a Colombo member. I've wondered if the murdered father Domenico D'Amico was a Newark member like his sons.

JD also discovered that Colombo member Tony Scianna hid out in San Juan, Puerto Rico where Gaspare D'Amico was living at the time, suggesting he may have provided aide. Strong possibility Gaspare D'Amico was formally a Colombo member based in Puerto Rico after the Newark Family disbanded.

As for Profaci's apparent authority over Gaspare D'Amico and role in his fall from grace, I'd wager Profaci was D'Amico's avugad on the Commission.
Last edited by B. on Mon May 16, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:18 pm Here's some relevant pages from Misuraca's FBI file:
The 2nd image deserved a reply of its own. The D’Amico attempted murder had nothing to with Troia after all.

I’m assuming that Salvatore Fantano was referring to Salvatore Fontana who was killed on July 3rd 1935. Salvatore’s brother was Harry Fontana who remained loyal to Profaci even decades later during the Gallo war.

1) Why did Profaci feel that Salvatore Fontana knew too much? Did he think he was going to flip?

2) Why did D’Amico have to be the one to kill him? Profaci had tons of hitters. Maybe he was hiding out with D’Amico.

3) Why did D’Amico refuse? It was a serious enough situation that Profaci was willing to kill him over the refusal. Eithways, probable Newark members Salvatore Lombardino, John Misuraca and Salvatore Cannella were arrested for it

This was one hell of a find. If the source is correct, the whole Troia affair can be set aside as it wasn’t really the main cause for the breakup.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:02 pm Though he wasn't made until the 1950s, Angelo Bruno was familiar with the break-up of the Newark Family:

He isn't necessarily saying the Newark Family was distributed among these six names, just that these six groups are now active in Newark. I've tried to figure out who all he is referring to.

Philly, Genovese, Lucchese, and Gambino are obvious, but the other two are a mystery to me. I doubt "the old guy" is Boiardo given he wasn't made until the 1940s and Bruno already mentioned Genovese. Tony could be Riela which would cover the Bonannos but I don't know if he lived in Jersey City and Riela is the only likely ex-Newark member we know of who joined the Bonannos. The Colombos are notably absent from Bruno's list given they absorbed one of the largest ex-Newark factions, so "the old man" could be a reference to Lombardino, Misuraca, or Magliocco but who knows. Could also be a reference to the recently deceased Joe Profaci.

The first four groups he mentions are Families so I assume the last two refer to separate Families as well.
I agree with you, it wasn’t Boiardo.

Profaci does that year at 64 so he wasn’t super old but I still feel like people have called him that before. Maybe it’s because of the line from The Sopranos. Magliocco and Misuraca were similarly around that age too. Bruno was 52; so not that much younger than them. Probably not Profaci because he doesn’t refer to him in that past tense.

Anthony Riela, in 1957, lived at 7 Benvenue Ave, West Orange, NJ. I don’t know if he used to live in Jersey City at some point though.

Pretty nice find!
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:41 pm Adding to the confusion is that Rotondo thought in one interview that Badami and Monaco were part of the DeCavalcante Family. However, Rotondo was a fan of this subject and may well have read Capeci's encyclopedia where he says Badami was the DeCavalcante boss or otherwise read Badami was a Newark boss and linked it in his head.
I think he was mistaken. Valachi, who was meeting them personally, explicitly says that Badami was the boss of the Newark Family(Not Elizabeth) and Monaco was his underboss.
B. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:41 pm Rotondo's reference to Phil Bacino being an early boss is definitely organic information, correct or not, as Bacino was Riberese and FBI files and immigration/genealogical records about Bacino's strong DeCavalcante connections have only become publicly available in more recent years. Bacino also died years before Rotondo became a member and had been living in Chicago for decades, making it unlikely he'd randomly come across his name in NYC/NJ without being told.
Didn’t Bacino become a regular member of the Outfit? That’s kind of a weird career path, boss who quits to become a soldier. I wonder if he was a short-term acting boss or something.